AAC 2nd TV Contract/Negotiations | Page 6 | The Boneyard

AAC 2nd TV Contract/Negotiations

Reaction Score
The funny thing is the AAC drew the same amount as the Pac12 and big east combined. The media draw and the press bias with all this conference hors...t is laughable. Don't believe that the big east in it's current configuration is anymore attractive for Uconn than where it is now. Likely less, but the program needs to be competitive again regardless.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The funny thing is the AAC drew the same amount as the Pac12 and big east combined. The media draw and the press bias with all this conference hors...t is laughable. Don't believe that the big east in it's current configuration is anymore attractive for Uconn than where it is now. Likely less, but the program needs to be competitive again regardless.

It’s almost like what network a game is on drives the rating...

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
And there are some that suggest the protests are a factor.

Anecdotally, I know a surprising number of people who are no longer watching the NFL because of the protests.

I drive past two bar/restaurants on my commute that have the same “No NFL” signs in front of their establishments.

Big factor, small factor, I don’t know, but it’s a factor.
That is so interesting. I live in the town next to Foxboro, so obviously I live in a pro-NFL bubble. People here are as crazy about football now as ever. I thought it had more to do with the nature of entertainment. Sports were big when there wasn't great TV. Now with Netflix etc. I very rarely watch TV at all. Unless UConn or Pats, I'm out because there are better options.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Since you just called me a liar, allow me to call you a fool. You're "pretty sure" I didn't throw away my Steelers gear?

Please enlighten us: how exactly are you "pretty sure" what I've done? The stuff is in a landfill.

FYI, I sent a letter to Mr. Rooney, which went unanswered. When I didn't receive a reply, the gear got tossed. 5 jerseys, 1 baseball cap, 1 construction hard hat, Christmas lights, about 15 terrible towels, and some miscellaneous stuff like T-shirts, banners, saved game tickets and programs.

Not sure why you directed comment #2 towards me since I never made a statement one way or the other regarding your alleged ratings studies.

I appreciate your commitment to the National Anthem and women's rights. Personally, I think everyone has skeletons in their closets. If I stopped watching every athlete, actor, politician, or religious leader who sinned or made a decision with which I didn't agree, I wouldn't be able to watch anything.

Reaction Score
I appreciate your commitment to the National Anthem and women's rights. Personally, I think everyone has skeletons in their closets. If I stopped watching every athlete, actor, politician, or religious leader who sinned or made a decision with which I didn't agree, I wouldn't be able to watch anything.
So.... just curious, are you implying that because someone has taken a stand that this happened to be their red line, they are less for not going against their beliefs and supporting those who have sinned or made decisions against their perceived better judgement. Hmmm, I’m with him for taking a non-violent stand against those that disrespect. To do otherwise on my part would be hypocracy. Of course that seems to be the political party of choice.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
So.... just curious, are you implying that because someone has taken a stand that this happened to be their red line, they are less for not going against their beliefs and supporting those who have sinned or made decisions against their perceived better judgement. Hmmm, I’m with him for taking a non-violent stand against those that disrespect. To do otherwise on my part would be hypocracy. Of course that seems to be the political party of choice.
No. I'm saying that the list of people and organizations who do things I find wrong is long. If I stopped interacting with them based on that standard, I wouldn't be able to watch sports, watch many TV shows and movies, participate in the government, go to church, even talk to members of my family. I'm not saying what anyone else does in terms of their entertainment is right or wrong. I'm expressing what I do.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Only Navy for now but...

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wait, Navy gets to keep its home games?

Reaction Score
Looks like Navy is like Notre Dame...has an its own contract with CBS for home games through 2027.

The AAC deal with CBS is separate from the Navy deal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In case you had forgotten just how rinky dink the AAC is... a random May reminder.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how to read this?

Is @Fishy right on Twitter and this is all Navy revenue?

The Navy writer quoted above contradicts himself in those tweets.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would caution you - I did almost zero research, I just hate this conference.

There isn’t any research to do, there is about 50 words of press release and the one guy who talked to Gladchuk contradicted himself.

Rereading everything I think you are right.

Navy gets their own deal they keep and everyone else gets Friday night in Tulsa on ESPNClassic.

This is where pre-insane Spackler tells us that the boats look cool in Newport or something.

Reaction Score
Looks like Navy is like Notre Dame...has an its own contract with CBS for home games through 2027.

The AAC deal with CBS is separate from the Navy deal.

It is extremely rare for a conference to allow one of its member schools to negotiate its own separate television contract. Athletic director Chet Gladchuk said such autonomy was a prerequisite to Navy becoming a member of the American Athletic Conference.

“This was all part of the discussions we had with the AAC before we joined,” Gladchuk said. “The importance to the Naval Academy of having home football games on Saturday afternoons cannot be understated. Saturday has been the focal point for Navy football for decades and decades.”

Navy agrees to 10-year extension with CBS Sports with support of AAC

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not playing Tulsa has been a foundation of UConn basketball for decades and decades.

We’ll no longer be playing them. Or Tulane or either one of the Texas schools. We’ll play Cincy and Temple, exclusively.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Mike Aresco, the AAC and every AAC athletic department that allows this is a complete joke.

They don’t even get television revenue to cover the knee surgeries.

What a complete bunch of fools run this league.

Reaction Score
Mike Aresco, the AAC and every AAC athletic department that allows this is a complete joke.

They don’t even get television revenue to cover the knee surgeries.

What a complete bunch of fools run this league.

Getting Navy was worth the small price.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Getting Navy was worth the small price.

Agreed. The dignity of the parties involved has probably been priced correctly.

Pro tip: When Navy has their own deal, you didn’t get Navy. You gave Navy a schedule
and a route to the NY6. In return you host them once every four years with the bonus that half your defensive line is injured.

What a deal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn basketball is 7.38 times more prestigious than Navy football.

Why aren’t we negotiating a deal that keeps us from playing Sunday at 6 p.m. on an unrated network during an NFL Conference Championship game?

We have precedent. What are they going to do? Throw us out? Good luck with your non-Navy football, non-UConn basketball negotiations.

It might be time to stop monitoring the situation and start actually impacting it.

The top two things this Mickey Mouse organization is now selling is UConn men’s basketball and UConn women’s basketball. You can put them 1-2 in whichever order like. Time to act as if.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom