AAC 2nd TV Contract/Negotiations | Page 5 | The Boneyard

AAC 2nd TV Contract/Negotiations

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I have not watched one game all year due to the kneeling during the anthem. Lifelong Steelers fan. Threw away all my gear.

1. No, I'm pretty certain you didn't. That would be such a moronic thing to do, I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt.
2. There have been dozens of studies on it- the ratings are not down because of the protests. Period. Actual studies by people who know what they're talking about.

Reaction Score
I have not watched one game all year due to the kneeling during the anthem. Lifelong Steelers fan. Threw away all my gear.
Omg! They are exercising their freedom of speech and expression. So instead, we should coerce these players into doing something they do not want to do? How is that any better? How is that even in line with the values this country was founded on? Players standing for the national anthem is a very recent thing that was not done until the military paid the NFL to make it a thing. So, more or less, this is just one long military recruitment advertisement, which should have nothing to do with a game being played. Before this happened about a decade ago, the players did not come out onto the field for the national anthem. People against kneeling never seem to acknowledge that. Also, there are plenty of military veterans who support the actions of the players because, you know, America is STILL the land of the free and freedom of speech/protest is still a foundation in which this country was built on.

I have no issue with the players using a game with millions watching as a stage to being to light issues that are prominent in the USA. That is called protesting, it is how we change for the better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Omg! They are exercising their freedom of speech and expression. So instead, we should coerce these players into doing something they do not want to do? How is that any better? How is that even in line with the values this country was founded on? Players standing for the national anthem is a very recent thing that was not done until the military paid the NFL to make it a thing. So, more or less, this is just one long military recruitment advertisement, which should have nothing to do with a game being played. Before this happened about a decade ago, the players did not come out onto the field for the national anthem. People against kneeling never seem to acknowledge that. Also, there are plenty of military veterans who support the actions of the players because, you know, America is STILL the land of the free and freedom of speech/protest is still a foundation in which this country was built on.

I have no issue with the players using a game with millions watching as a stage to being to light issues that are prominent in the USA. That is called protesting, it is how we change for the better.
Mmm, not so much. I can't think of any meaningful change that we caused by millionaires grandstanding but perhaps you can.

Regardless, NFL players are employees. The stadium is the workplace. NFL owners can regulate their behavior. Fans who are offended by this can 1) not attend, 2) not watch. If enough of them do so, owners will either establish a policy that eliminates the issue or absorb the cost.

Reaction Score
1. No, I'm pretty certain you didn't. That would be such a moronic thing to do, I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt.
2. There have been dozens of studies on it- the ratings are not down because of the protests. Period. Actual studies by people who know what they're talking about.

Since you just called me a liar, allow me to call you a fool. You're "pretty sure" I didn't throw away my Steelers gear?

Please enlighten us: how exactly are you "pretty sure" what I've done? The stuff is in a landfill.

FYI, I sent a letter to Mr. Rooney, which went unanswered. When I didn't receive a reply, the gear got tossed. 5 jerseys, 1 baseball cap, 1 construction hard hat, Christmas lights, about 15 terrible towels, and some miscellaneous stuff like T-shirts, banners, saved game tickets and programs.

Not sure why you directed comment #2 towards me since I never made a statement one way or the other regarding your alleged ratings studies.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
But you were cool with Big Ben doing all kinds of unsavory activities in the bathroom werent you?

Reaction Score

I disagree. How we change for the better is when people that feel strongly about an issue begin taking meaningful action to change things.

In my opinion, kneeling during the anthem is a punk move, and it's disrespectful of the people who put their lives on the line defending our freedom and enforcing our laws. If the players feel strongly about injustices in this country, maybe they should volunteer some of their time/wealth actually trying to make things better. Or, they can speak out about the issues on their own time, articulating their views. Some have been, but most have not.

I never said players shouldn't be allowed to express their views. I simply believe that they should do so on their own time.

When the players are on the field, wearing a team's uniform, they are employees. If the NFL decides not to do anything about the protests, I can (and have) decided not to support them with my viewership and ticket purchases. Of course, you can (and should) make your own choice.

I'm not sure how you equate the playing of the National Anthem as a military recruitment advertisement, but whatever.

Reaction Score
But you were cool with Big Ben doing all kinds of unsavory activities in the bathroom werent you?

Nope. Didn't own any Big Ben stuff though. Conscious decision.

Not that you asked, but I also wasn't OK with a sitting president doing unsavory activities with women in the Oval Office, and then lying about it under oath.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think they can get $8. The prior deal was a steal for ESPN. AAC football ended up being extremely profitable for them, and basketball as well. Anything under $10 is still a good deal for ESPN.

Streaming is interesting. I'd love to retain some individual streaming rights if possible. I saw the Disney announcement. Their content won't be on Netflix anymore. HBO also announced it will pull out from availability on Amazon. Meanwhile, CBS All Access streaming is all but dead. It's failing and can't get subscribers, probably because Fox and NBC provide the equivalent content for free to cable customers. These models are still shaking out. Broadcast networks will find there is no appetite to pay twice for the same content, especially when it is free over the air.
If the Contract is $10mm you will see a bee line for any team not in a P5 to start lobbying for AAC membership. ( ND excepted but not BYU)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

And there are some that suggest the protests are a factor.

Anecdotally, I know a surprising number of people who are no longer watching the NFL because of the protests.

I drive past two bar/restaurants on my commute that have the same “No NFL” signs in front of their establishments.

Big factor, small factor, I don’t know, but it’s a factor.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Mmm, not so much. I can't think of any meaningful change that we caused by millionaires grandstanding but perhaps you can.

Regardless, NFL players are employees. The stadium is the workplace. NFL owners can regulate their behavior. Fans who are offended by this can 1) not attend, 2) not watch. If enough of them do so, owners will either establish a policy that eliminates the issue or absorb the cost.

It’s amazing that people don’t get this. Does the McDonalds employee enjoy “freedom of speech” while at work and in uniform? Can he or she chant PETA slogans about the horrors of eating meat from behind the counter? No. This is the same. The players are offending the customers by their method of protest. It’s pretty simple. A smart team would suspend them all, and it certainly could.

For the morons out there, the first Amendment imposes a restriction on government, not your private employer. Now when a public school tells a kid he or she can’t wear a political t-shirt, *that* is an issue for freedom of speech.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
And there are some that suggest the protests are a factor.

Anecdotally, I know a surprising number of people who are no longer watching the NFL because of the protests.

I drive past two bar/restaurants on my commute that have the same “No NFL” signs in front of their establishments.

Big factor, small factor, I don’t know, but it’s a factor.
You live in NY, right? That might fly when the Gints and Jets stink, but if either was 10-2 I doubt you'd see it. I've never seen that in MA and any bar that doesn't play the Pats game might as well close down on Sunday.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You live in NY, right? That might fly when the Gints and Jets stink, but if either was 10-2 I doubt you'd see it. I've never seen that in MA and any bar that doesn't play the Pats game might as well close down on Sunday.

Fair point. But the Pats only had kneerlers in the one game post Trump's tweet. They also have a version of the flag as their logo and have Revolutionary War re-enactors at the game shooting muskets. I think that tends to cut against any boycott...along with the record.

Reaction Score
If the Contract is $10mm you will see a bee line for any team not in a P5 to start lobbying for AAC membership. ( ND excepted but not BYU)
They don't have much incentive to give us that.. they know they can get us for cheaper

Reaction Score
I stopped watching the NFL cause they don't care about concussions or domestic abuse.

But I guess it's more important that black athletes don't use their power to fight for equal protection under the law.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Fair point. But the Pats only had kneerlers in the one game post Trump's tweet. They also have a version of the flag as their logo and have Revolutionary War re-enactors at the game shooting muskets. I think that tends to cut against any boycott...along with the record.
True, and for regions that are heavier into college football over the NFL, it's much more palatable. The patrons of a bar in Alabama or Mississippi probably care less about the NFL in general.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I disagree. How we change for the better is when people that feel strongly about an issue begin taking meaningful action to change things.

In my opinion, kneeling during the anthem is a punk move, and it's disrespectful of the people who put their lives on the line defending our freedom and enforcing our laws. If the players feel strongly about injustices in this country, maybe they should volunteer some of their time/wealth actually trying to make things better. Or, they can speak out about the issues on their own time, articulating their views. Some have been, but most have not.

I never said players shouldn't be allowed to express their views. I simply believe that they should do so on their own time.

When the players are on the field, wearing a team's uniform, they are employees. If the NFL decides not to do anything about the protests, I can (and have) decided not to support them with my viewership and ticket purchases. Of course, you can (and should) make your own choice.

I'm not sure how you equate the playing of the National Anthem as a military recruitment advertisement, but whatever.

Do you stand behind every word of the Star Spangled Banner? Just curious.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Is the cesspool leaking into the CR forum? Me likey.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Why Memphis will likely fire Tubby Smith

An hour before Tubby Smith first fielded questions about his job status at the pre-tournament press conference, members of the university’s governance and finance committee gathered at the University Center for a presentation on “the financial landscape of Memphis athletics.”

Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen made the presentation. At one point, he emphasized the importance of a better conference television deal. He directed the discussion over to Memphis president M. David Rudd to expand on the topic. Whereupon Rudd said that the television deal “won’t be dramatically different” and that the key to the financial future of the athletic department remains contributions and ticket sales.

Reaction Score
Why Memphis will likely fire Tubby Smith

An hour before Tubby Smith first fielded questions about his job status at the pre-tournament press conference, members of the university’s governance and finance committee gathered at the University Center for a presentation on “the financial landscape of Memphis athletics.”

Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen made the presentation. At one point, he emphasized the importance of a better conference television deal. He directed the discussion over to Memphis president M. David Rudd to expand on the topic. Whereupon Rudd said that the television deal “won’t be dramatically different” and that the key to the financial future of the athletic department remains contributions and ticket sales.

If the new CUSA deal is any indication, Rudd will unfortunately be correct. As they say, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. The new CUSA TV deal comments by execs are the true definition of putting lipstick on a pig.

Aresco knew what he was doing with the P6 push in order to distance the AAC from the G5. Let's hope it pays off. If not, (Never thought I would say this) I am afraid there will be more fans jumping on the Big East basketball and something else for football train.

C-USA Announces Multimedia Rights Partnerships

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It could double and still not be dramatically different.

If this P6 thing has any credibility, and I don't think it does outside the league break room bulletin board, then Aresco needs the per school payout to be in double digit millions.

If that is not in the cards then, regular national time slots are the next priority.

The last thing I would look to do is whether maximizes revenue for Teir 2 and 3 rights. The AAC sold everything to ESPN. Most was used as filler or resold to CBSsports. I think there is more value in selling to regional networks like SNY/YES directly or streaming.

If ESPN and others are looking for streaming we should get a premium for not being over the air.

Reaction Score
It could double and still not be dramatically different.

If this P6 thing has any credibility, and I don't think it does outside the league break room bulletin board, then Aresco needs the per school payout to be in double digit millions.

If that is not in the cards then, regular national time slots are the next priority.

The last thing I would look to do is whether maximizes revenue for Teir 2 and 3 rights. The AAC sold everything to ESPN. Most was used as filler or resold to CBSsports. I think there is more value in selling to regional networks like SNY/YES directly or streaming.

If ESPN and others are looking for streaming we should get a premium for not being over the air.

The TV ratings and on field performance give credibility to the P6 narrative. Calling oneself a P6 without backing it up is meaningless! Numbers don't lie and Aresco is well connected in the sports entertainment industry. I have my fingers crossed that he'll be able to negotiate something of value.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The TV ratings and on field performance give credibility to the P6 narrative. Calling oneself a P6 without backing it up is meaningless! Numbers don't lie and Aresco is well connected in the sports entertainment industry. I have my fingers crossed that he'll be able to negotiate something of value.

If we had P6 credibility UCF would have been in the playoff. Money talks.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE

Aresco knew what he was doing with the P6 push in order to distance the AAC from the G5. Let's hope it pays off. If not, (Never thought I would say this) I am afraid there will be more fans jumping on the Big East basketball and something else for football train.

C-USA Announces Multimedia Rights Partnerships[/QUOTE]

They might jump, but it won't be for big east bball:

TV Ratings for Conf Championship Games
ACC... 3.4M... ESPN
B12... 2.9M... ESPN
SEC... 2.6M... ESPN
AAC... 2.1M... CBS
MW.... 1.6M... CBS
BE..... 1.5M... Fox
A10... 1.4M... CBS
P12... 612K... FS1

Previous weekend the B10 drew 3.2M on CBS for their championship game.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE

C-USA Announces Multimedia Rights Partnerships

They might jump, but it won't be for big east bball:

TV Ratings for Conf Championship Games
ACC... 3.4M... ESPN
B12... 2.9M... ESPN
SEC... 2.6M... ESPN
AAC... 2.1M... CBS
MW.... 1.6M... CBS
BE..... 1.5M... Fox
A10... 1.4M... CBS
P12... 612K... FS1

Previous weekend the B10 drew 3.2M on CBS for their championship game.[/QUOTE]

Good numbers for AAC. PAC 12 ?? - Hoping for a good TV deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom