A Whole lot of not Players Reaction | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Whole lot of not Players Reaction

Reaction Score
Was thinking the same thing. We're about to find out just how much Ollie lost the locker room.

Heard from a friend who happens to play pickup ball with a friend of the Vital family that he remarked CV was "50/50" on staying or going at the end of the season, but then when the KO news broke it seemed like CV was making it clear on social media he'd be here to stay. It also could be that this friend didn't know a thing

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think most teams would lose a big from this roster, coaching change or not. 5 bigs all came in at the same time, all looking for PT. Somebody was going to be buried, or upset by being rotated too much.

Reaction Score
IMO One of the best things about bringing DH here, after the xs and os, is the discipline and tough love approach he will bring to the locker room. Something that was sorely missed these past few years. I think every single player on the roster will be better for it and it will show pretty quickly next season. Will it translate to way more wins? Maybe not...maybe 20 wins will still be a stretch but I at least forsee more competitive games and flowing offense.

DH worked quite well without a true big man at RI for much of his time there, I think he will succeed despite some possible roster shortcomings next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO One of the best things about bringing DH here, after the xs and os, is the discipline and tough love approach he will bring to the locker room. Something that was sorely missed these past few years. I think every single player on the roster will be better for it and it will show pretty quickly next season. Will it translate to way more wins? Maybe not...maybe 20 wins will still be a stretch but I at least forsee more competitive games and flowing offense.

DH worked quite well without a true big man at RI for much of his time there, I think he will succeed despite some possible roster shortcomings next year.

A team can do well without a true big man, but you can't have 5 or 6 roster spots taken up by big men that marginally contribute.

Reaction Score
If it’s Carlton that’s a huge loss .
We already lost a desperately needed PG recruit .
One post grad. is fine but after that you become post grad U with these one and dones.
I don’t want to be rebuilding every year and that’s the downside of postgrads. That was Ollie undoing.
No more post grads. They are like one and dones. A disruption to team chemistry. They take playing time away from guys who stay four years.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
A team can do well without a true big man, but you can't have 5 or 6 roster spots taken up by big men that marginally contribute.

But we have no clue yet as to how much our apparent problem with big man coaching made our crop of bigs so marginal the last few years. We have to assume that whatever changes DH makes to the coaching staff will include something to attack that shortcoming.

The lack of playing time for those that showed promise, while over using the proven-to-be-limited Onourah , and to a lesser extent (until the discipline thing) Cobb.

Whalley, Carlton, Diarra and even Williams showed more promise, but found fewer minutes. You can't learn how to limit your fouls from the bench!

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Exactly...but we should only go after grad transfers that have real talent.

Yes. Just because we had subpar ones this past season doesn't mean they are all like that. There are plenty of grad transfers out there with the ability to compete at our level when placed in the appropriate role.

Reaction Score
No more post grads. They are like one and dones. A disruption to team chemistry. They take playing time away from guys who stay four years.

We don't win the 2014 National Championship without Kromah. Taking post grads on a selective basis can be very good, it just shouldn't be a recruiting mainstay.

Reaction Score
Where is Vital gonna go? Seriously

The LIU Blackbirds to play for the revered Derek Kellogg.

Seriously, though, a lot of teams would take him but I'm not sure he'd find a better fit than UConn. He brings a lot to the floor and I'm happy he's here. Maybe he's not Ben Gordon but he can play effective minutes for us with the right cast of characters.

Reaction Score
None of the incoming URI recruits will be coming with. Harris, Adams and Martin were heavily recruited by Cox (the probably new URI HC) and the 4th guy Tate already tweeted out he's committed to URI.

Frankly, I can't really see any player leaving on the current squad. I feel like unlike KO, Hurley can actually develop guys and there is new hope. Sure one or two still might leave, but some of the core guys (JA, CV, Sid, Diarra) were all recruited by Hurley to come to URI so imagine they have some sort of relationship already. Plus, it's not like playing time will be that big of an issue for the current guys -- feel like there's plenty of that to go around.

Emmitt Matthews just got injured so I doubt he wants to re-open anything. I'm super high on Kisunas but I would imagine we would have heard otherwise if he was going to leave (like Akinjo). Besides, can't imagine a big man having a connection to KO like a guard would :)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Vital isn’t going to go anywhere better than UConn and still get these minutes.

He’s an undersized shooting guard who isn’t a great shooter, isn’t a great athlete and doesn’t seem overly aware of either limitation.

Reaction Score

He’s an undersized shooting guard who isn’t a great shooter, isn’t a great athlete and doesn’t seem overly aware of either limitation.

Hopefully a better coach can yank him and teach him that his gunner mentality won't cut it. If he learns to take good 3s within the offense, play hard D and get to the line (which he was great at), he could be a solid contributor. I think he has a lot of college upside.

Side note:

Is DH expected to force any players out? I wouldn't be surprised if that happened with 2 of our bigs. I'll leave it at that, though.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Hopefully a better coach can yank him and teach him that his gunner mentality won't cut it. If he learns to take good 3s within the offense, play hard D and get to the line (which he was great at), he could be a solid contributor. I think he has a lot of college upside.

Side note:

Is DH expected to force any players out? I wouldn't be surprised if that happened with 2 of our bigs. I'll leave it at that, though.

Hopefully a better coach will have 1-2 more guards on the roster, making that actually feasible.

Reaction Score

Yet is a 4 year player that scored 30 as a SOPHOMORE more than once. Please... he’d get attention from most schools

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom