A Whole lot of not Players Reaction | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A Whole lot of not Players Reaction

Reaction Score
Vital isn’t going to go anywhere better than UConn and still get these minutes.

He’s an undersized shooting guard who isn’t a great shooter, isn’t a great athlete and doesn’t seem overly aware of either limitation.

I don’t get the Vital slander. Yes he’s undersized but so are most UConn guards. He didn’t shoot a great percentage and needs to work on shot selection but there’s plenty to like.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I don’t get the Vital slander. Yes he’s undersized but so are most UConn guards. He didn’t shoot a great percentage and needs to work on shot selection but there’s plenty to like.
I love the fact that Vital isn't that athletic and is undersized. He plays with heart and chip on his shoulder. With a NYC attitude. Plus I feel like the kid loves UCONN

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it is fair to assume that:
1) our Frosh will be better as Sophs;
2) the addition of a true point guard (hopefully Gilbert, and maybe James Akinjo) makes us better;
3) Adams will be a better player with a little more rest and without the drag of bring up the ball, running the offense, and looking for his shots;
4) Vital looks better when he's not feeling pressure to carry us;
5) we'll see less open three pt attempts by opponents; and
6) we'll see a less chaotic offense.
We should be a better team next year, even just with our existing personal.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hopefully a better coach can yank him and teach him that his gunner mentality won't cut it. If he learns to take good 3s within the offense, play hard D and get to the line (which he was great at), he could be a solid contributor. I think he has a lot of college upside.

Side note:

Is DH expected to force any players out? I wouldn't be surprised if that happened with 2 of our bigs. I'll leave it at that, though.

No reason he can't become a Brian Fair off the bench.

Reaction Score
No more post grads. They are like one and dones. A disruption to team chemistry. They take playing time away from guys who stay four years.

Fairly laughable post. We don't win national championship #4 without Evans coming in the year before and showing Boat and Bazz mental toughness and discipline, nor do we win it without Kromah's contribution that year. And we don't get to the NCAA's the last time we went without Miller and Gibbs.

Filling in holes during an offseason is fine. It's relying on grad students as opposed to recruiting frosh that is the problem.

Reaction Score
We don't win the 2014 National Championship without Kromah. Taking post grads on a selective basis can be very good, it just shouldn't be a recruiting mainstay.
Yes Kromah was good. But most are not. To me the optimum is guys who stay minimum 3 years. Build a team.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Yet is a 4 year player that scored 30 as a SOPHOMORE more than once. Please... he’d get attention from most schools

Most schools? yeah sure. Most schools better than UConn? no.

Reaction Score
Vital isn’t going to go anywhere better than UConn and still get these minutes.

He’s an undersized shooting guard who isn’t a great shooter, isn’t a great athlete and doesn’t seem overly aware of either limitation.

This. I like the kid's toughness, and goodness knows we would have been even worse the last two years without him, but he is not an important piece of a ranked team. On a ranked team he's the 5th or 6th man.

Reaction Score
Fairly laughable post. We don't win national championship #4 without Evans coming in the year before and showing Boat and Bazz mental toughness and discipline, nor do we win it without Kromah's contribution that year. And we don't get to the NCAA's the last time we went without Miller and Gibbs.

Filling in holes during an offseason is fine. It's relying on grad students as opposed to recruiting frosh that is the problem.
My main problem with it is it takes playing time from guys who are staying 4 years. Yes the guys you mentioned were contributers. But it would be a plus if we don't have to fill out the roster with these guys.

Reaction Score
My main problem with it is it takes playing time from guys who are staying 4 years. Yes the guys you mentioned were contributers. But it would be a plus if we don't have to fill out the roster with these guys.

So Gibbs took minutes from Adams as a frosh. So what? It would have helped if Adams was more exhausted the last two years?

If you have a 13 man roster of 4 year players, 3 or 4 won't play meaningful minutes anyway. Those who do play meaningful minutes may have to compete more for them -- that's supposed to be a good thing.

Reaction Score
This. I like the kid's toughness, and goodness knows we would have been even worse the last two years without him, but he is not an important piece of a ranked team. On a ranked team he's the 5th or 6th man.
Vital is an excellent player to have
Exactly. He is a great addition to any bench. He plays hard and is good. Not great, but a good player to have on your team.
in any team. I hope he stays.

Reaction Score

Which part of Fishy's statement was slander? He's a shooting guard sans conscience who doesn't shoot at a particularly great rate, was incredibly prone to jacking up 3s at any point in the shot clock, and he's not very athletic at all for a high D1 guard. He plays with a great toughness, though he could do without the absurd taunting as a player on a sub .500 team. He's good for instant offense once ever few games, what's the plenty else to like?

Reaction Score
You're acting like someone is trying to make up a whole team of post-grad transfers. Just stop
No I 'm not. You are putting words in my mouth. I made it clear what I am talking about. Having to rely on these guys that are in for one year is not the optimum situation.

polycom

Reaction Score
Which part of Fishy's statement was slander? He's a shooting guard sans conscience who doesn't shoot at a particularly great rate, was incredibly prone to jacking up 3s at any point in the shot clock, and he's not very athletic at all for a high D1 guard. He plays with a great toughness, though he could do without the absurd taunting as a player on a sub .500 team. He's good for instant offense once ever few games, what's the plenty else to like?

This is the fairest analysis of Vital's game.

polycom

Reaction Score
No I 'm not. You are putting words in my mouth. I made it clear what I am talking about. Having to rely on these guys that are in for one year is not the optimum situation.

So what do you propose as an alternative?

Reaction Score

You are filling holes with grad transfers. Either a hole that you have in the rotation for the next year or a hole that you have for a roster. You're pretending that we're turning away high school kids that we think are going to be important 4 years contributors. Name a single time that happened.

Reaction Score
Vital's career FG% is below 40%. That is dreadful, no matter how you try to spin it. He's a limited guard thrust into a bigger role than he should be in. Same with Anderson last season. Vital is fine as your first guard off the bench; he shouldn't be playing 31 MPG. I have a suspicion his shot selection will be much better under Hurley as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom