A 'scary' quote by KML | The Boneyard

A 'scary' quote by KML

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"I definitely think I've been able to grow this summer. I had to play the four (power forward), be in there with the big guys, and it definitely got me to widen my game. I was able to go inside-out. That definitely helped a lot."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's pretty amazing when you consider she's already one of the top 5 players in WCBB. This season can't start fast enough for me!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
That's pretty amazing when you consider she's already one of the top 5 players in WCBB. This season can't start fast enough for me!

I'll take this a step further. I believe that Kaleena is the best player in wcbb. I expect some will disagree and advocate for Chiney or Stewie or Odyssey or some other great players. I will not get into a back-and-forth about this. I will stand my ground and watch how it plays out over the, ahem, rising season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'll take this a step further. I believe that Kaleena is the best player in wcbb. I expect some will disagree and advocate for Chiney or Stewie or Odyssey or some other great players. I will not get into a back-and-forth about this. I will stand my ground and watch how it plays out over the, ahem, rising season.
You will get zero argument from me. The other one in the conversation would be Alyssa Thomas. I'm sure I'm missing someone, maybe Chelsey Grey, and then even Bria Hartley and Stef Dolson. Along with Chiney, Stewie and Odyssey as you mentioned. And maybe Liz Williams. That's almost the 10 player AA team right there!

Reaction Score
we're just going to see her scratch the surface as a college player. I have no idea where the top end for her as a pro will be, but one of the legends of the game.

Reaction Score
You will get zero argument from me. The other one in the conversation would be Alyssa Thomas. I'm sure I'm missing someone, maybe Chelsey Grey, and then even Bria Hartley and Stef Dolson. Along with Chiney, Stewie and Odyssey as you mentioned. And maybe Liz Williams. That's almost the 10 player AA team right there!
Add McBride and you've got my preseason 10 player AA team.

Reaction Score
How privileged are we to witness the greatest players in the history of the sport every 4-5 years. Diana, Maya, and KML and Stewie will all be in that category.

Reaction Score
We'll have to see how good McBride is without her soul mate.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
We'll have to see how good McBride is without her soul mate.

Took me a second, but I think you are talking about Faris and KML.

If the WUG performance is any indication, she will be great. Really great.

Reaction Score
Top 5? She was the third best player in the country last season.

Reaction Score
Geno stated one time that when Maya shoots he always expects the ball to go in. I am getting the same feeling about KML. She looked so smooth and completely focused during the WUG games.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno stated one time that when Maya shoots he always expects the ball to go in. I am getting the same feeling about KML. She looked so smooth and completely focused during the WUG games.

He sorta said something like that in January:

[Kaleena] has had at least one three in each of her 19 games. And she has had five games with at least five threes. She was 6 of 13 against Syracuse on Jan. 19 at the XL Center, which was a career-high.

In her young career, she has already made 154 threes.

"When the ball leaves their hand, you are kind of surprised when it doesn't go in," Auriemma said.

Reaction Score

I agree with those that stated that any one of the three (KML, Bria, Sims) could have been MOP. And while KML stopped at least two Russian runs with threes, smooth she was not. In the two games that I saw, I thought that at least 50% of the three attempts were forced - in fact on one open three in the final she leaned forward to the point that I thought she might fall on her face. Playing like Ferris is great as long as she retains that smooth KML stroke - playing the 4 probably had an impact on the unKML-like 34.6% on threes for the tournament. I love the focus and attitude, but I am looking forward to the 50% KML in 13/14.

Reaction Score
I agree. KML is the best player next year. Without a doubt

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree with those that stated that any one of the three (KML, Bria, Sims) could have been MOP. And while KML stopped at least two Russian runs with threes, smooth she was not. In the two games that I saw, I thought that at least 50% of the three attempts were forced - in fact on one open three in the final she leaned forward to the point that I thought she might fall on her face. Playing like Ferris is great as long as she retains that smooth KML stroke - playing the 4 probably had an impact on the unKML-like 34.6% on threes for the tournament. I love the focus and attitude, but I am looking forward to the 50% KML in 13/14.
One issue that I do wonder about with HS and College players playing in international competitions is how the different ball might affect them - The international ball is different from the USA ball I believe - heavier and larger - or has that been changed. (I figure the pros are so used to going back and forth that it probably takes a day or two to remember the 'other' ball.)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Add McBride and you've got my preseason 10 player AA team.
Yep you are right. In no particular order...

KML
Ogwumike
Simms
Thomas
Stewart
Hartley
Grey
Williams
Lucas
Dolson
McBride

Unfortunately that's 11. Someone who's deserving will be left off...

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The KML I saw for 4 years in HS and two years of club ball vs the KML now are light years apart.
One was a great scorer who did other things on the court.
The current player does everything on the court.
I am glad to have seen the evolution of her game.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Hate to be a naysayer but I'm going with the girl who scored 52 in the Final 4, with KML a close second.

It's a close one -

I think that KML--with the extra year's experience and a little more of that Kelly Faris grit--will be the more consistent. Not necessarily in PPG (though probably that, too) but just in the number of good days and bad days she has on the court when her entire contribution is considered. Lots of good and very good days, a number of exceptional days, and very few 'off' days.

Stewie will likely be less consistent than KML. For all she did in the Final Four, she is still a big kid at heart and she is bound to have some occasional ups and downs this year as well. But her freakish athleticism will turn a lot of those good days into 'WOW!' days where she will overshadow all others, including KML.

Reaction Score
Kaleena is great, without question. She may just be the best player next year. However, the player with the most up side is Breanna. To do what she did in the semis and finals was incredible. As a freshman, beyond words. No doubt they will be the best tandem in women's basketball next year. Add a healthy Stef, the Bria of old and improved play from Morgan, Moriah, Brianna, Kiah and the ability of Saniya and who knows the heights the Huskies will reach. People tend to underestimate Morgan. She is going to have an incredible sophomore year. If only Kiah can do as much as a junior. It could be a record setting year in many ways, 40-0.

Reaction Score
Yep you are right. In no particular order...

KML
Ogwumike
Simms
Thomas
Stewart
Hartley
Grey
Williams
Lucas
Dolson
McBride

Unfortunately that's 11. Someone who's deserving will be left off...

I would put Lucas a notch lower, which brings it back to 10. But I had forgotten about Loyd who deserves some consideration.

Reaction Score
Put it plainly when was the last time any college team had the 2 best players in the country in WCBB? Their is a good possibility that Stewie, and KML will be 1,2 by the end of the year in any order. That's not even saying a healthy, Stef, Bria, they might not go undefeated, but might possibly be the most dominant team ever in the NCAA tournament.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the big difference between BS and KML next year will be the leadership qualities that I see developing in KML. Statistically I expect them to be neck and neck and would not be surprised if BS is a little ahead, but KML will be contributing more to the leadership the next two years I think. And for that reason I would give her the nod. Not that it really matters - we are fortunate to be having this discussion!
One of the interesting things over the years with Uconn basketball is that seldom has anyone challenged for national leadership in a statistical category like points or assists or rebounds. They may challenge for A/TO ratio or shooting percentage, but Geno expects everyone to be contributing on offense which tends to reduce individual totals. A few years I think it may have hurt a player in AA or player of the year ballots, though it is hard to complain given the good representation Uconn has gotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom