A Retirement Gift from the Yard | Page 5 | The Boneyard

A Retirement Gift from the Yard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just another thought - Our school is in the middle of fundraising for the very practice facility JC has harped on building for years. What if we concentrated our efforts towards one of the goals listed for the men's facility? I genuinely think that would be the best use of funds.

Thoughts?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Here are my thoughts on the billboard.

"THANKS, COACH CALHOUN FOR PUTTING UCONN BASKETBALL ON THE MAP' and superimpose it over the outline of CT (or the country) and have a star on Storrs and inside the star either the National Championship banners or the years of the three national championships. At the bottom, "All the best Coach, from the Boneyard" and show the web address.

I also like the idea of renaming our site "Calhoun's Boneyard" going forward.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
You know who owes Calhoun even more than we do?

The Horde!

The sports/news media in the State of Connecticut pretty much owes its collective employment success to that man (with an obligatory hat tip to Geno, as well).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Anyone got any connections/know anybody at the hospital who could give us some guidance. Is there something specificneeded there that we could do? I don't mean an MRI , but maybe something that otherwise would slip through the cracks?
ESPN mentioned this morning the level of commitment Mr and Mrs Calhoun had to the cardiac center at UCHC (sufficient to have it named after them).

He new pet project is autism (he has two grandkids who are afflicted) and this likely hasn't received close to the volume of contributions that his work has generated for heart patients. Perhaps we should look into this as a way to honor our beloved coach.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Lambshake, That is perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(except for the minor error in grammar)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
we need to do something for pat.

i like that lambshake!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think that's a great idea! Have an oversized road marker right in front of gampel at the corner of Hillside and Stadium Rd with the corresponding names. It gives great visibility (Right in front of gampel, co-op, business school), and really pays tribute to not only the basketball success, but the rise of the entire academic institution. Can't get to where your going, unless you know where you've been!

I also like Hall of Fame court. Both men deserve credit for the outstanding job with each program. To add a little personal touch one half will have Calhouns signature under Hall of fame court and the other half Genos signature.

Love the signature idea.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd like the billboard to span Jim's careea by having images from all three championship trophy and some shots of UConn greats, Allen, Butler, Rip, Oak, etc.
Underneath, write
You were right Coach it was doable.
Thank you Jim Calhoun from the Boneyard.
Then have a link to either the health center donation page or the practice facility.​
...but there are much more creative guys on here who I am sure can improve upon this.​

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I like all of the billboard ideas so far.

I was thinking something simpler like...

Line 1: "1 state + 1 university + 1 hall of fame coach = 3 national championships"

Line 2: "On behalf of the Boneyard, thank you for the memories Coach Calhoun."

Line 3: Charity name and website.

Reaction Score
We wanted to mention a few options for the fan base here.

If you can rally around a common goal at UConn that we can help you with, either at the new Basketball Development Center or in some other way, please have your group identify a few points of contact to speak on behalf of everyone and send us a note to campaign@foundation.uconn.edu. We're always happy to talk about options.

If you'd like to make individual gifts to the things that Coach supported so much, basketball excellence and health care, we have created an online giving page that you can easily use to make a gift. The URL is http://www.friends.uconn.edu/calhoun

Thanks!

The UConn Foundation
Yeah, we're fans too. :)

U

UCONNfan1

Great ideas. Late to the party. Seriously, I think the state should put up a billboard thanking him - no need for the fans to do that. But I do think a statue in his honor next to the Jonathan statue would be appropriate. Or put Jonathan somewhere else and put JC's statue there. The university should foot the bill for that.

I think the fans should put all their $ towards the practice facility. I don't see the court at Gample being named after him, but certainly the court on the men's side of the practice facility should be. Once Auriemma retires, they can name the women's side after him.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
After some serious thought, I wish to apologize to Coach Calhoun and his family for even suggesting that we rename the BYC in his honor....

(I don't know what I was thinking.)

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
We wanted to mention a few options for the fan base here.

If you can rally around a common goal at UConn that we can help you with, either at the new Basketball Development Center or in some other way, please have your group identify a few points of contact to speak on behalf of everyone and send us a note to campaign@foundation.uconn.edu. We're always happy to talk about options.

If you'd like to make individual gifts to the things that Coach supported so much, basketball excellence and health care, we have created an online giving page that you can easily use to make a gift. The URL is http://www.friends.uconn.edu/calhoun

Thanks!

The UConn Foundation
Yeah, we're fans too. :)
They have a nice feature on this link where you can search to see if your employer matches employee donations. My employer does match but unfortunately it doesn't match contributions for athletics including building projects (I was most interested in contributing to the new practice facility). My company does match contributions dollar for dollar toward the Cardiology Center up to $1,000. I will make a donation there and I'm still in for whatever the Boneyard decides to do.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The billboard should read:

You were right coach. It was doable!

Love this.

FWIW, the billboard would make National news. The above quote with "Thanks from The Boneyard" A mention of his cancer center along with a donation from the Yard would work.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Stop screwing around. Team with the Alms for a statue.

We need a stand alone gesture. A billboard would distighuish us from all the other on-line sports communities.

WaterDawg

Lurker Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
I just signed up so I could make a donation to the cause. Thanks for everything Coach!

Reaction Score
im definately in to donate to the cause also...statue would be sickkkk but its too early for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom