A Retirement Gift from the Yard | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A Retirement Gift from the Yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm in.

I like the billboard idea and in my opinion the court should be re-named in his honor.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
This is a journey....not a destination.

IMAO, there is no single thing we can or should try to do to capture what we all owe this man.

So....

Begin with the Boneyard....

Redesign the banner at the top or the page....We have graphic artists here in the Yard (Hamster! Are you busy?)....I have heard those guys can do miraculous stuff.

And while we are on the graphics idea....Maybe we need a Boneyard flag. If for no other reason than so it can be flown at half mast during our period of official mourning....

Put a "Donate Here" link at the top of the page that sends people to JC's favorite charities. (Kind of surprised we haven't done that, already)

We also have one or two folks who are wizards at compliling videos....
Get to work! Lots of material out there and DO NOT skimp on including his more over the top press conference footage. Heck, you could probably put together a 30 minute tribute video where it is one long bleep.

Anyone have an in with Pat Calhoun? What does she think he would appreciate most? Whatever it is....we will do it.

Billboard Idea? Wonderful! One at the 195 exit off of 84....maybe another in Hartford area?... Maybe near the Charter Oak Bridge? .... (lots of visibility for folks going to the Rent, that way). Maybe a third along 95 somewhere.

Re-name the BYC in his honor....that way when everyone wimps out again next year, they can feel worse about themselves for being pansies (or pansy molestors, as the case may be).

We have to do something to pay proper tribute to the refs he loved to hate (Ted Valentine, anyone?) More videos?

Can we get Emmerts home address and have 30 yards of sewer sludge delivered?

So, so many possibilities...

And, as I say, no single thing can possibly contain or properly express what we owe him....

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The billboards are a great touch, but I doubt Calhoun himself would want it. I think renaming Alumni Court to Calhoun Court or maybe even as radical as Calhoun Pavilion. Shows a lot more focus on what he did to the basketball program. After all, he did build this temple of the Gods. It would be stupid to not give him his name on his artwork.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like this Prankster: "Put a "Donate Here" link at the top of the page that sends people to JC's favorite charities. (Kind of surprised we haven't done that, already)"

How about renaming the BB board?

Reaction Score
I really like this idea. He poured his heart into our University and state, time to give a little back. Billboards and renaming court seem to be the best ideas.

Side note: Anyone foresee a little angst with Geno on the renaming of the court?

Reaction Score
Why not name the new practice facility after Calhoun . When Geno retires we will probably have something new to name after him. I would really, really like it if some of his former players stepped up with some donations to accomplish this for Coach.

Reaction Score
Here I am. Sorry, life got in the way of boneyarding for a bit.

Thoughful . . . Hmm. Toga?

Billboard is ok with me, and I'm in however I can help. I tend to agree with deep, though, not to be reflexive. Seems to me there are two crucial elements:

1) There has to be a genuine, and heartfelt thank you in a way that will communicate to him not only how much we appreciate what he's done for UConn basketball but also for the Institution. A billboard is nice, but it really speaks to the world, not to him, other than derivatively. Maybe that's good enough -- it's a bold gesture that won't go unnoticed. He's going to be getting more accolades than he knows what to do with in the coming days, but I actually think something that comes from a group he knows represents the most die-hard of his fans will be something he actually takes notice of and -- and this really is the point -- gives him a push into the next phase of his life with a genuine sense of our gratitude.

2) I think everyone is on the mark with saying it should involve one or more of his charties in some fashion.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Billboard is ok with me, and I'm in however I can help. I tend to agree with deep, though, not to be reflexive. Seems to me there are two crucial elements:

1) There has to be a genuine, and heartfelt thank you in a way that will communicate to him not only how much we appreciate what he's done for UConn basketball but also for the Institution. A billboard is nice, but it really speaks to the world, not to him, other than derivatively. Maybe that's good enough -- it's a bold gesture that won't go unnoticed. He's going to be getting more accolades than he knows what to do with in the coming days, but I actually think something that comes from a group he knows represents the most die-hard of his fans will be something he actually takes notice of and -- and this really is the point -- gives him a push into the next phase of his life with a genuine sense of our gratitude.

2) I think everyone is on the mark with saying it should involve one or more of his charties in some fashion.
Totally agree about charities vs. billboards. Nicely stated.

First we need to decide if this should come from the "Boneyard" vs. individually. Of course people can do both.

Second, if from the Boneyard, establish a poll and see what the numbers are for the different ideas. Then go from there.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Count me in. Whatever you guys decide

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The billboard should read:

You were right coach. It was doable!

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Nice to see you back, my friend.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
One more thing....

How about a tribute page, here in the Boneyard....

Reaction Score
I'd love to get a movement going for the governor to have a Calhoun appreciation day in the state

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm in, but JC could probably use some training wheels or body armor for riding

kentex_24inch_tricycle.jpg

CL82

Reaction Score
I really like this idea. He poured his heart into our University and state, time to give a little back. Billboards and renaming court seem to be the best ideas.

Side note: Anyone foresee a little angst with Geno on the renaming of the court?

['ve been stumping for this solution for years:

1. Rename Hillside Road in front of Gampel "Calhoun's Way"
2. Name the court at Gampel "Hall of Fame Court"
3. When Auriema retires rename Stadium Road "Auriema Avenue"

Mandatory camera shot of the two street signs for every home game broadcast "We're here on the Hall of Fame Court in Gampel Pavillion located at the corner of Calhoun's Way and Auriema Avenue."

One consideration is that the new basketball practice center would eventually be on Auriema Avenue. I still think it's better to have the main drag named after Jim.

Reaction Score
['ve been stumping for this solution for years:

1. Rename Hillside Road in front of Gampel "Calhoun's Way"
2. Name the court at Gampel "Hall of Fame Court"
3. When Auriema retires rename Stadium Road "Auriema Avenue"

Mandatory camera shot of the two street signs for every home game broadcast "We're here on the Hall of Fame Court in Gampel Pavillion located at the corner of Calhoun's Way and Auriema Avenue."

One consideration is that the new basketball practice center would eventually be on Auriema Avenue. I still think it's better to have the main drag named after Jim.

I think that's a great idea! Have an oversized road marker right in front of gampel at the corner of Hillside and Stadium Rd with the corresponding names. It gives great visibility (Right in front of gampel, co-op, business school), and really pays tribute to not only the basketball success, but the rise of the entire academic institution. Can't get to where your going, unless you know where you've been!

I also like Hall of Fame court. Both men deserve credit for the outstanding job with each program. To add a little personal touch one half will have Calhouns signature under Hall of fame court and the other half Genos signature.

Reaction Score
The billboard should read:

You were right coach. It was doable!
That's actually perfect! I was trying to think of something clever with the "doable" quote, but you win. Excellent!

Reaction Score
I think that's a great idea! Have an oversized road marker right in front of gampel at the corner of Hillside and Stadium Rd with the corresponding names. It gives great visibility (Right in front of gampel, co-op, business school), and really pays tribute to not only the basketball success, but the rise of the entire academic institution. Can't get to where your going, unless you know where you've been!

I also like Hall of Fame court. Both men deserve credit for the outstanding job with each program. To add a little personal touch one half will have Calhouns signature under Hall of fame court and the other half Genos signature.

I am confused, I thought the point of this thread was what "we" as The Boneyard can do for JC? Not what we'd like the University do (rename courts, practice facilities, etc.), or the Alumni Association. Of course, people are free to do what they want individually to get the man honored but aren't we discussing what this specific group can do?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
i havent read through all the pages, but what about a statue?? and renaming one of the streets Calhouns Way? then when geno retires, a statue the other Auriemma Avenue with the court called hall of fame court

Reaction Score
.Put a "Donate Here" link at the top of the page that sends people to JC's favorite charities. (Kind of surprised we haven't done that, already)

Anyone got any connections/know anybody at the hospital who could give us some guidance. Is there something specificneeded there that we could do? I don't mean an MRI , but maybe something that otherwise would slip through the cracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom