A Retirement Gift from the Yard | Page 6 | The Boneyard

A Retirement Gift from the Yard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A billboard will only be up for 30 days. A contribution to one of the lower level naming opportunities for the UConn Basketball Development Center would last forever.

If there's a way to do both then that would be the ultimate short term/long term solution. Billboard thanking him and driving to his charities and then naming opportunity with the practice facility (One of the assistant coach's offices or administrative support rooms, etc.)

Based on some initial conversation I've had here at my office, and not knowing any details surrounding exactly where in CT we'd want the billboard (or which company we'd purchase it from), I estimate that a billboard for 30 days would carry an un-negotiated cost of $10-15k but could go as low as $5k.

Reaction Score
Stop screwing around. Team with the Alms for a statue.

Statues aren't what they used to be since Paterno's came down. Plus, not sure JC would want a statue, but I'm sure he would appreciate a donation to his charity.

We could always try to rename Storrs to Calhoun, Connecticut. :)

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I've been giving this a lot of thought. A statue is a more permanent tribute than a billboard (and a billboard is quite expensive given the limited time it's up and there's no guarantee JC would see it). If we went with a statue, I think the perfect pose would be the arms crossed look of satisfaction as he watches his team (which can also be the sarcastic look he gave ref's when he thought they blew a call....). That's the image I'll remember of Coach Calhoun. I'd actually have it placed on a raised viewing/balcony area in the new practice facility so he'd permanently look down on 'his Huskies' as if he were coaching practice or looking on with satisfaction at the effort the players were giving in practice or the success they've had.

Another thought is that billboards are similar to giving flowers when people pass way. The church/funeral home gets filled with hundreds and thousands of dollars of flowers that are simply discarded in a couple of days. I always give donations to the cause of whatever illness the person passed away from or supported in life instead of flowers. Imagine how many diseases could be cured and people benefited if the money spent on flowers went to disease research (or a new practice facility..... ;)).

With that said, any tribute we do would be great and we should do something. I'll go along with whatever the final decsion is.

Reaction Score
"You're right coach, it was doable" is perfect. Maybe add at the bottom "Because of you" or something like that

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know that could be it's own thread - possible Jim Calhoun statue poses. Let me start it off with the patented Calhoun What was that?:
calhoun_1.jpg

It is equally effective with a player or with a ref.

(dang that one picture per post limit)

CL82

Reaction Score
As requested by UCewConn there is the
ncb_g_jcalhoun1_200.jpg

CL82

Reaction Score
Of course if Tim Higgins were picking it, it might look like:
jim-calhoun.jpg

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't know about this one. He seems to be demanding lebensraum
Jim+Calhoun.jpg

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
With over 6,000 views- we will need to have a creativity cut off & vote- inorder to establish some sort of Fund account for a purchase or donation. There have been a number of strong ideas. I guess, the more I think about it, for the cost and temporary nature, a billboard might be tough. The statue idea is sweet, but I have no idea what they cost. It took my church forever to get one for a prayer garden. Also, where would we be approved to place it? If you like, I can reserve a small patch in my backyard, and teach the dog to take his business elsewhere.

Storrs would be the ideal location (on campus), but that might take some of the shine away from what the school plans to do. Maybe downtown, by XL- make it a Must see on the way to games. Or, right inside the XL center lobbey as you walk into games!! If you give the Mayor an invite to cut the ribbon, they love that stuff and might designate an approved location. If so, I can't think of a better pose than this pic. Champion. How cool would it be to have a statue downtown donated by the Boneyard !!!!!! Time to price it & start raising some LOOT $$$

jim-calhoun.jpg

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I like the billboard idea. The "eternal" ideas like a statue or naming something (outside of on The Boneyard itself) is beyond our scope. We would need to get an idea of how much a billboard on I-84 or I-91 would cost (84 seems better to me). It may be prohibitive, but Fishy would make up the difference I'm sure. A full page ad in the Courant is not what it used to be and would only be seen once. Okay, here's my shot at a billboard:

Never has one coach raised the pride, the joy, and a belief in the “do-able” for an entire state the way it was done by Jim Calhoun.
UConn and Connecticut will always be indebted to
“The Lion of Storrs"
jim-calhoun-uconn-basketball-basketball-playbooks-basketball-playbook-basketball-plays-blobs-basketball-drills.jpg
Thanks, Coach! --The Boneyard

Reaction Score
Nothing would be better than the Boneyard pooling its resources and naming the court in the new Basketball Development Center after our HOF leader...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I like the billboard idea. The "eternal" ideas like a statue or naming something (outside of on The Boneyard itself) is beyond our scope.

Good way of putting it.

CL82

Reaction Score
Depends on the differential. At $15k for 2 months vs. $27k for eternal, I'd lean toward eternal. If 15 is all we can spend, we offer it to the Alumni association if they can match within say 90 days.

Now if it is $5k for the Billboard, the analysis changes.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Depends on the differential. At $15k for 2 months vs. $27k for eternal, I'd lean toward eternal. If 15 is all we can spend, we offer it to the Alumni association if they can match within say 90 days.

Now if it is $5k for the Billboard, the analysis changes.
How much would a statue cost? Like 30-50k? That's just a stab, it's not something I've ever had quoted (obviously) and when these things are built you don't ever seem to hear about the cost.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can somebody please post a final suggestion? If you go with a donation to a cancer center in Jim's name or something (as Fishy suggested), then you don't need a target amount, just synch up to PalPal, post a tracker and let it climb.

Reaction Score
I have a business associate who's wife does a fantastic job on portraits........maybe that's an idea......??

She just did one for the Yankees for a gift to Mariano Rivera (for his retirement which is not happening now LOL)........maybe him with some background players, facts etc etc...?

Just thought

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I have a business associate who's wife does a fantastic job on portraits........maybe that's an idea......??

She just did one for the Yankees for a gift to Mariano Rivera (for his retirement which is not happening now LOL)........maybe him with some background players, facts etc etc...?

Just thought
I like this idea. If we did this, maybe we could arrange a presentation ceremony to present it? I like that this is a personal gift from the fans. I also like the concept of incorporating images of Husky greats he's coached.

Reaction Score
I like this idea. If we did this, maybe we could arrange a presentation ceremony to present it? I like that this is a personal gift from the fans. I also like the concept of incorporating images of Husky greats he's coached.

Was thinking they would let Deepster and Fishy (or one of you big wigs) present it at a game also...........;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom