A Nova proposal for UConn to the Big East | Page 7 | The Boneyard

A Nova proposal for UConn to the Big East

Reaction Score
All this begging from the Nova fan makes it seem like there is writing on the wall for the death of the current Big East. Splitting our basketball program from the football program is a losing proposition for us and only a win for the Big East.

Reaction Score
There is not a market that is east of Cincinnati and north of Raleigh that is a top rated ESPN market for football or basketball.

That does not bode well for the Zissou corridor fantasy. At least, not for ESPN contracts.

Reaction Score
There is not a market that is east of Cincinnati and north of Raleigh that is a top rated ESPN market for football or basketball.

That does not bode well for the Zissou corridor fantasy. At least, not for ESPN contracts.
The Big East is on the Fox Family of Networks, so it really shouldn't be a current top market for ESPN.

Reaction Score
Oh! FX1 is seen by about 20% of the numbers that watch ESPN....

Maybe eventually.....Fox could take some of the NY YES market that now televises ACC basketball, football and olympic sports.

YES now offers up to 10 Big East basketball games and 23 ACC basketball games (and 10 football games)...they could switch that number, I guess.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh! FX1 is seen by about 20% of the numbers that watch ESPN....

Maybe eventually.....Fox could take some of the NY YES market that now televises ACC basketball, football and olympic sports.

YES now offers up to 10 Big East basketball games and 23 ACC basketball games (and 10 football games)...they could switch that number, I guess.
Right, FS1 started up at the same time as the nBE. As a start-up, it won't match ESPN's numbers, at least not anytime soon. While the majority of games are on FS1, some go to big Fox, CBS, and some slip to FS2. YES is a Fox regional sports network.

While all of us Big East fans had to find these channels in our line-up, and order them if we didn't have them, a cool benefit is having every game televised for the whole conference. The numbers for a start-up begin modestly, but it is a selling point to recruits that their families get to see every game. Len, Raf, and Gus calling the games is a team that is better than most.

Another benefit is the FoxSportsGo app, so I can watch the games on my iPhone.

Reaction Score
Give up Zissou, UCONN can't join the Big East, it would kill the football program no ifs, ands, or buts. Villanova's big mistake was downgrading their own football program years ago. Live with it, and stop trying to drag UCONN into that quagmire.

Reaction Score
Give up Zissou, UConn can't join the Big East, it would kill the football program no ifs, ands, or buts. Villanova's big mistake was downgrading their own football program years ago. Live with it, and stop trying to drag UConn into that quagmire.
I agree your football must stay FBS.

If UConn decides to wait and see with the AAC, and the next TV deal is still less than $5M per team, do you then continue to stick it out in the #6 football and #7 hoops conference?

I think the current TV deal way under values the AAC. Aresco is a very competent guy, however, and that was the best that he could do. Without a top 25 football team and a much tougher environment for ESPN, is ESPN going to pay more for the AAC? Is ESPN going to multiply their costs on the AAC when they are cutting costs elsewhere? Is the scattered footprint of the AAC, with the lack of rivalries, compelling to Fox? Is the cable alternative developed well enough to be a replacement path for the AAC, where it is only supplementing massive TV deals for the P5?

FBS is here to stay for UConn. Currently you would do better with TV revenue from the Big East, and better prospects with the AAC are uncertain.

Reaction Score
Here is what I would ask for from UConn's perspective:

Entering discussions at all has some risk. A few months back the UConn - Big East discussions made it to the press, which does no good for anyone. My guess is that the leak came from the Big East office. UConn should not engage the Big East directly, but rather negotiate an option contract directly with Fox. This adds a layer of truth to "we have not had talks with the Big East", and allows for a discussion with the real decision maker.

The UConn - Fox option contract. UConn asks for:
  • Should UConn accept a Big East invitation (full TV share), UConn has the option with Fox for a $M / year, multi-year contract, for its independent football should UConn leave the AAC for football. Fox would televise all of UConn's football games, subject to host team's own rights.
  • UConn retains its 3rd tier rights for all sports.
I'll throw out a number here - maybe $6M per year. From Fox's perspective, they get UConn's MBB and WBB 1st and 2nd tier, at the normal Big East pro rata, which is still a value. If UConn exercises its option on FB, Fox is only paying 1 program the independent fee, it's not paying for a whole conference that has questionable value (E Carolina, Tulsa, Tulane, UCF, USF, etc).

YES is a FOX regional sports network and would seem to be a good home for WBB and lesser football games.

UConn would have the benefits of the Top 3 Big East basketball conference, and a safety net for football should the AAC play hardball on a football-only membership. If the current TV take in the AAC is $1.8M, a $6M independent payout seems generous for the best hope of what the AAC might get in a new contract. $4 to $5M for the Big East plus a $6M option on football as a back-up plan looks pretty attractive vs. $1.8M.

As an independent, UConn takes the best pay games it can land on the road. The exposure is good, and it is extra revenue.

With the Fox option contract in hand, UConn is in a strong position with Aresco, facilitating a reasonable football-only deal (like Navy has).

Reaction Score
A much better plan would be to just wait for the Big East to die then pick and choose which basketball programs we will allow to join the AAC with a long period of time where they will have to accept a partial share of revenue.

Reaction Score
A much better plan would be to just wait for the Big East to die then pick and choose which basketball programs we will allow to join the AAC with a long period of time where they will have to accept a partial share of revenue.
Today that would look like a long wait. The Big East is doing pretty well. It has a basketball TV contract that's 2X+ that of the AAC's for both basketball and football combined. It is a Top 3 conference. It has a National Championship in its young life.

The Big East has a NE megalopolis footprint over huge TV markets that is true to the original Big East. It is basketball first with high stability. We are a destination for great coaching, not a stepping stone, just like the old Big East. Our best proven coaches aren't jumping ship for better offers.

The Big East is on a growth curve.

Reaction Score
Another aspect of rivalries being facilitated in a regional footprint is the alumni network. Having away games that are within a drive is one aspect, but also alumni spread out regionally help foster rivalries.

Here are your top 6 alumni cities outside of CT:
1. Boston (27,000) - BC
2. NYC (15,000) - St Johns, Seton Hall
3. Worcester (7,000) - UMass
4. DC (5,000) - Georgetown
5. Providence (4,000) - Providence
6. Philadelphia (3,000) - Temple, Nova

Reaction Score
Give up Zissou, UConn can't join the Big East, it would kill the football program no ifs, ands, or buts. Villanova's big mistake was downgrading their own football program years ago. Live with it, and stop trying to drag UConn into that quagmire.
And let's not forget that Villanova cast the deciding vote against admitting Penn State to the Big East years ago. If they had voted yes then the Big East football schools would have formed their own conference, the ACC raid never happens, and Notre Dame Football would be about to join the Big East football conference and not the ACC. You can make an argument that one vote from one school that had just killed their own football program, also destroyed the Big East.

Reaction Score
And let's not forget that Villanova cast the deciding vote against admitting Penn State to the Big East years ago. If they had voted yes then the Big East football schools would have formed their own conference, the ACC raid never happens, and Notre Dame Football would be about to join the Big East football conference and not the ACC. You can make an argument that one vote from one school that had just killed their own football program, also destroyed the Big East.
It's true that Penn State was voted down, but I don't think the 3 votes against were ever verified. I don't doubt, however, that Nova was one of them. Nova also failed to step up a few times when the Big East needed them most.

The article you reference dreams that Penn State and others remained independent in football, not in a conference. Maybe that could have happened, but it doesn't consider the change in TV contracts in the late 80s and through the 90s. The conference structure provided an entity to negotiate directly with TV networks. The ND independent deal would have been difficult to copy for most independents.

I doubt ND and MD join the Big East in this dream.

We can only look forward at this point.

Reaction Score
Nova football??!!

LOL...
2016-17 Sagarin AAC
Tulsa #29
USF #32
JMU (as FCS) #33
Temple #43
Memphis #50
Houston #56
Navy #61
UCF #86
SMU #92
Nova (as FCS) #106
Tulane #109
Cincinnati #117
E Carolina #118
UConn #154

Reaction Score
Oh God...now a program 69 places below Wake Forest brags about it...gasp, wheeze...LOL

and 44 behind awful Boston College,,,,let me catch my breath!

Keeeerist...they don't play football...not so that I would recognize it.

Reaction Score
Oh God...now a program 69 places below Wake Forest brags about it...gasp, wheeze...LOL

and 44 behind awful Boston College,,,,let me catch my breath!

Keeeerist...they don't play football...not so that I would recognize it.
FCS is definitely a losing proposition. It is rare that a top FCS program can hang with a better FBS team. JMU over VTech at VTech and App State over Michigan at Michigan are memorable because the FCS teams are at such a roster, scholarship, and recruiting disadvantage. There is nothing to brag about in FCS. It is noteworthy though, that UConn should really not look down their noses at the potential of JMU and Nova at the FBS level, when even at the FCS level they are rated above UConn. Not bragging at all, but on the other hand we aren't talking about the jump to the SEC or P5, we are talking the AAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom