A Nova proposal for UConn to the Big East | Page 6 | The Boneyard

A Nova proposal for UConn to the Big East

Reaction Score
Hey Zissou....

My one minute google search Failed to find any link to confirm you statement offered as fact that the are plans to expand Talen Stadium, much less expand it in the foreseeable future.

Please provide a citation to confirm the statement you offered as fact regarding plans to expand Talen.
I still don't see how 3500 undergrad Villanova students even help (they have only 7000 total) fill 30,000 seats in Talen? UCONN will get it's own on campus stadium before that happens. Lol

Reaction Score
I still don't see how 3500 undergrad Villanova students even help (they have only 7000 total) fill 30,000 seats in Talen? UConn will get it's own on campus stadium before that happens. Lol
Nova has more undergrads than your conference mate Tulsa, and the same as SMU. Just smaller than Tulane. Generally a stadium capacity is multiples of the student attendance.

Reaction Score
Transaction code 56....

Seems to fit the situation...

56 - No Card Record - The Customer’s bank has declined the transaction as the credit card number does not exist. The customer should use an alternate card.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Nova has more undergrads than your conference mate Tulsa, and the same as SMU. Just smaller than Tulane. Generally a stadium capacity is multiples of the student attendance.

And how many UConn fans (or AAC fans not at SMU, Tulsa or Tulane) want those schools in their conference?

Reaction Score
Then come to the Big East!

Zissou....I love ya man....you are southern in your soul..LOL

So very 1950's southern. Right out of the sweltering heat of the white tents pitched in a weedy roadside lot for a week before hitting the next town on the circuit. The preacher, in his sweat soaked white shirt with the sleeves rolled up, with fiery red face and a whiskey hoarse voice, railing against the evils of false prophets.

"My dear brethren. We know of the false prophets from the west. Close your ears to their siren song. They do not acknowledge God's chosen people and are the voice of the Chaldeans and the Amorites.

As it is written in Numbers, "Now those who camp on the east side toward the sunrise shall be of the standard of the camp of Judah, by their armies, and the leaders of the sons of Judah.."

"Boom...Boom...put a nickel in the drum and you'll be saved".

Reaction Score
So UConn can keep their football with SMU, Tulsa and Tulane?
Unless you have better options. If I'm a Husky, my dream priority list would be
1) B1G invite.
2) ACC invite.
3) B12 invite. This one isn't great, the future is more uncertain, but it's P5.
4) Big East Basketball, AAC Football. Keep praying for 1, 2, or 3.
5) Big East Basketball, Football Independent. Keep praying for 1, 2, or 3.
6) AAC all, hope that the conference builds in stature and gets a real TV contract. Keep praying for 1, 2, or 3.

Reaction Score
The Alliance – 2016-17 Sagarin
JMU: #33
Temple: #43
Navy: #61
Army: #87
Nova: #106
Cincinnati: #117
UConn: #154
Delaware: #181

Of course, the FCS schools are ranked head to head against the FBS schools without any curve for fewer resources. They have not had the benefit of being in a former BCS structure or a current G5. They would likely improve with the resources. And we would expect Cincy and UConn to bounce back from their current levels.

Last edited:

dayooper

Reaction Score
Unless you have better options. If I'm a Husky, my dream priority list would be
1) B1G invite.
2) ACC invite.
3) B12 invite. This one isn't great, the future is more uncertain, but it's P5.
4) Big East Basketball, AAC Football. Keep praying for 1, 2, or 3.
5) Big East Basketball, Football Independent. Keep praying for 1, 2, or 3.
6) AAC all, hope that the conference builds in stature and gets a real TV contract. Keep praying for 1, 2, or 3.

I agree with this list to an extent. While I believe that a Big East/ AAC hybrid is acceptable, it's not realistic. I don't understand why the AAC would go for it. You are taking what's best of UConn and taking it away. Going independent would destroy the football team, though. Not sure if that's in the cards.

dayooper

Reaction Score
The Alliance – 2016-17 Sagarin
JMU: #33
Temple: #43
Navy: #61
Army: #87
Nova: #106
Cincinnati: #117
UConn: #154
Delaware: #181

Of course, the FCS schools are ranked head to head against the FBS schools without any curve for fewer resources. They have not had the benefit of being in a former BCS structure or a current G5. They would likely improve with the resources. And we would expect Cincy and UConn to bounce back from their current levels.

Those numbers are great, but they don't sell seats and advertising. That's what this is all about. It's not about Sangrin rankings or even win loss records. It's about money and exposure and I'm not sure that JMU, Villanova football and Deleware help with that. If the AAC wants to be considered in the same breath as the the P5, adding projects won't help.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Zissou....I love ya man....you are southern in your soul..LOL

So very 1950's southern. Right out of the sweltering heat of the white tents pitched in a weedy roadside lot for a week before hitting the next town on the circuit. The preacher, in his sweat soaked white shirt with the sleeves rolled up, with fiery red face and a whiskey hoarse voice, railing against the evils of false prophets.

"My dear brethren. We know of the false prophets from the west. Close your ears to their siren song. They do not acknowledge God's chosen people and are the voice of the Chaldeans and the Amorites.

As it is written in Numbers, "Now those who camp on the east side toward the sunrise shall be of the standard of the camp of Judah, by their armies, and the leaders of the sons of Judah.."

"Boom...Boom...put a nickel in the drum and you'll be saved".
Never a good sign when visiting fans start talking to each other about topics the rest of us are done with.

Reaction Score
Those numbers are great, but they don't sell seats and advertising. That's what this is all about. It's not about Sangrin rankings or even win loss records. It's about money and exposure and I'm not sure that JMU, Villanova football and Deleware help with that. If the AAC wants to be considered in the same breath as the the P5, adding projects won't help.
I agree it's not all about Sagarin or Win/Loss. UConn proved that in 2011 when it was left out of P5 CR with great football and basketball teams. Money and exposure comes from interest and rivalries. UConn doesn't get that from C-USA partners. The scatter conference doesn't work well. Shared regions develops rivalries.

I was concerned that the MSG BET would be less without UConn and Cuse. The last few years have been surprisingly great. That said, I think the Big East would be better with UConn.

Reaction Score
I agree with this list to an extent. While I believe that a Big East/ AAC hybrid is acceptable, it's not realistic. I don't understand why the AAC would go for it.

If UConn committed to the Big East and accepted they had 2 paths for football, it would be up to the AAC to determine the football outcome. If the AAC keeps UConn football, it keeps stability on the football side, which they value 80% / 20% over basketball. If they tell UConn to take off, they risk a competitive move in the northeast / mid Atlantic that might end up being more attractive to Temple, Cincy, and Navy.

While those uncertainties play out, UConn doubles its TV money. I think the AAC works out a reasonable deal with UConn football.

dayooper

Reaction Score
If UConn committed to the Big East and accepted they had 2 paths for football, it would be up to the AAC to determine the football outcome. If the AAC keeps UConn football, it keeps stability on the football side, which they value 80% / 20% over basketball. If they tell UConn to take off, they risk a competitive move in the northeast / mid Atlantic that might end up being more attractive to Temple, Cincy, and Navy.

While those uncertainties play out, UConn doubles its TV money. I think the AAC works out a reasonable deal with UConn football.

Why would the AAC work something out? They are the clear #6 football conference with no other even close. The only one close is the MWC and they are too far away geographically to be concerned about the NE. Conference USA? The MAC? They don't even register on the media outlets (and I am a MAC fan). I just don't see the AAC's interest in keeping UConn football if their basketball team leaves.

Reaction Score
Why would the AAC work something out? They are the clear #6 football conference with no other even close. The only one close is the MWC and they are too far away geographically to be concerned about the NE. Conference USA? The MAC? They don't even register on the media outlets (and I am a MAC fan). I just don't see the AAC's interest in keeping UConn football if their basketball team leaves.
#6 is worth $2M a year. The AAC didn't have a team in the final top 25 (Sagarin). The AAC has good programs and promise. Today, it is what it is. It's a poor conference for rivalries, for UConn anyway.

dayooper

Reaction Score
#6 is worth $2M a year. The AAC didn't have a team in the final top 25 (Sagarin). The AAC has good programs and promise. Today, it is what it is. It's a poor conference for rivalries, for UConn anyway.

So being a poor conference for UConn rivalries means they will work a deal to keep UConn football in? Still didn't answer the question. Why would the AAC want to keep UConn football without it's basketball?

Reaction Score
The proposal benefits UConn, the Big East, and even the AAC
  • UConn moves basketball to a Top 3 conference.
  • The Big East gains a marquee hoops program in the NYC to Boston footprint.
  • The AAC strengthens its DC/Va market to Boston market footprint.
  • In the AAC 14 school format, cross division play is reduced, and with it travel is reduced and more regional rivalries are supported. A conference championship assures that the top programs meet and have their best chance for a CFP bid.

IEPeVIa.png

Reaction Score
Strengthening the footprint over the DC to Boston corridor is a unique opportunity.
TV Markets:
6k5BdBQ.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom