A Nova proposal for UConn to the Big East | Page 9 | The Boneyard

A Nova proposal for UConn to the Big East

Reaction Score
Oh crumble my foot......

by the by...FSU does rank higher than the Big Ten's Nebraska (I know, not saying much) in the UNWR National University Rankings...

....FSU #92...Nebraska #111

In Top Public schools:

....FSU #38...Nebraska...#51

wooo hoo! Big Ten, here we come!

Reaction Score
by the by...FSU does rank higher than the Big Ten's Nebraska (I know, not saying much)

correct, not saying much.

"We are in the academic basement basement of the ACC just like Nebraska is in the Big Ten".

The ACC used to tout its academic standards. That facade has crumbled.

Reaction Score
Sure it has. LOL...now go on about your mission to have UConn commit athletic suicide.

Talk about crumbling...just leave the ACC for the BE....

Reaction Score
Sure it has. LOL...now go on about your mission to have UConn commit athletic suicide.

Talk about crumbling...just leave the ACC for the BE....
And more than double the TV revenue.

Reaction Score
And more than double the TV revenue.

There is other revenue thought. $1M per team for the AAC G5 football payout, last year of the exit fee payout, etc.

Reaction Score
There is other revenue thought. $1M per team for the AAC G5 football payout, last year of the exit fee payout, etc.
True. How much do you think your Tier 3 rights are worth?

If football stayed in the AAC, I assume there would be no exit fee, and you'd keep the G5 payout. Also, UConn already hit the jackpot in getting distributions from the oBE exit fees.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the BE has the temerity to ask UConn for some of the money back that they took from the conference when the Catholic 7 split. An entrance fee, if you will.

Kind of cool though....the money they received from the Big East is probably more than UConn will pay to leave the AAC.

Reaction Score
True. How much do you think your Tier 3 rights are worth?

If football stayed in the AAC, I assume there would be no exit fee, and you'd keep the G5 payout. Also, UConn already hit the jackpot in getting distributions from the oBE exit fees.

Consider this: SNY upped its monthly subscription fee from $1.50 to $2.90 when it added UConn a few years ago. That's an extra $1.40 a month for 1 million cable households. I imagine the upcharge for New York and New Jersey was just pennies. So, SNY became $17 richer per million households, $17 million for the tier 3 basketball package. If they charge 1 penny more in the other 2 states, that's 12 cents per 9 million cable households, or $1m more. Subtract production costs. Add football games, say 5 games.

It's all up to SNY, they make $18m in revenue showing UConn, minus production costs, and IMG handles the UConn coach's shows on SNY.

All told, UConn probably makes $2m per basketball team, $500k for football, and it gets its money from IMG for the ads from the coach's shows. I know IMG pays UConn $8m for licensing but I'm not sure how much of that comes from the ads for the tier 3 TV package.

Regardless, I would say conservatively this may be worth $4.5m a year for UConn, and that's not accounting for IMG.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the BE has the temerity to ask UConn for some of the money back that they took from the conference when the Catholic 7 split. An entrance fee, if you will.

Kind of cool though....the money they received from the Big East is probably more than UConn will pay to leave the AAC.

All of this is irrelevant.

They aren't doing this from the goodness of their hearts.

Fox Sports told them exactly how much money is in it for them yearly.

Reaction Score
So...do you think that UConn will pay an exit fee and an entrance fee ?

Reaction Score
UConn to the Big East?

Here is an outsider's perspective as I am a Nova fan.

This is stating the obvious, but it seems UConn's best landing spot would be P5 in the ACC or the B1G, with the Big12 being a distant last P5 resort but a better spot and payday than the AAC. The risk with the Big12 is the uncertainty that it may be downgraded to the G6 if Texas and OU jump ship at some unknown time, maybe in a few years (or maybe never).

I state the obvious because any talk of UConn to the Big East is predicated on acceptance that the P5 invite has not been offered and the offer is not just around the corner. If you believe the P5 invite is about to drop on the doorstep then the Big East makes no sense.

If you accept that the P5 isn't knocking, then the discussion is between the AAC and any other possible non-P5 alignment. I think the Big East is a better fit for UConn as a basketball-first conference with a smaller geographic footprint that would benefit all of UConn's non-rev sports. The Big East would benefit, and value, UConn's NY market position, championship history, and rivalries.

UConn keeping it's football in the AAC while becoming a Big East member may be the best scenario for UConn short of a P5 invitation. Many dismiss the AAC allowing that scenario, but a closer look might show that it is also in the AAC's best interests. Selfishly I look for path forward for Nova's football program with any conference changes. When UConn and Nova were invited to FBS together, UConn stepped forward and Nova declined. In 2010 Nova was invited up again but this time dithered with the invitation for 6 months, and it ultimately expired with WVU, Pitt, and Rutgers objecting as they planned their own conference exits. UConn was left behind in the realignment game. Villanova football was also left behind, but with Nova our failures were more self inflicted.

Here is a proposal for UConn to the Big East, with football in the AAC:

UConn to Big East, an AAC proposal
This is a great idea.

Reaction Score
UConn to the Big East?

Here is an outsider's perspective as I am a Nova fan.

This is stating the obvious, but it seems UConn's best landing spot would be P5 in the ACC or the B1G, with the Big12 being a distant last P5 resort but a better spot and payday than the AAC. The risk with the Big12 is the uncertainty that it may be downgraded to the G6 if Texas and OU jump ship at some unknown time, maybe in a few years (or maybe never).

I state the obvious because any talk of UConn to the Big East is predicated on acceptance that the P5 invite has not been offered and the offer is not just around the corner. If you believe the P5 invite is about to drop on the doorstep then the Big East makes no sense.

If you accept that the P5 isn't knocking, then the discussion is between the AAC and any other possible non-P5 alignment. I think the Big East is a better fit for UConn as a basketball-first conference with a smaller geographic footprint that would benefit all of UConn's non-rev sports. The Big East would benefit, and value, UConn's NY market position, championship history, and rivalries.

UConn keeping it's football in the AAC while becoming a Big East member may be the best scenario for UConn short of a P5 invitation. Many dismiss the AAC allowing that scenario, but a closer look might show that it is also in the AAC's best interests. Selfishly I look for path forward for Nova's football program with any conference changes. When UConn and Nova were invited to FBS together, UConn stepped forward and Nova declined. In 2010 Nova was invited up again but this time dithered with the invitation for 6 months, and it ultimately expired with WVU, Pitt, and Rutgers objecting as they planned their own conference exits. UConn was left behind in the realignment game. Villanova football was also left behind, but with Nova our failures were more self inflicted.

Here is a proposal for UConn to the Big East, with football in the AAC:

UConn to Big East, an AAC proposal
Nova has been successful as a FCS school , but my question is even with that success what is the financial impact of the sport.

Reaction Score
Nova has been successful as a FCS school , but my question is even with that success what is the financial impact of the sport.
football is a net financial loss at most schools. Nova has no meaningful revenue as a good FCS program.

The prospects of being independent FBS or G5 can increase revenue and interest and reduce the loss, but it will always be a subsidized loss.

Athletic Departments don’t make money with few exceptions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom