A Nova proposal for UConn to the Big East | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A Nova proposal for UConn to the Big East

Reaction Score
That is one very plausible scenario. It is also very possible that someday you do. Why wait it out in the AAC? Whether one comes or doesn't, the Big East is a better fit.

Some may argue that you need the AAC for football to stay best positioned for a P5 invite. The AAC doesn't give you a great platform. Low money, poor rivalries, low interest. It is a decent platform, but not a great platform. UConn should be able to competently negotiate a football-only deal like Navy's deal. If the AAC is heavy handed and won't make a deal, then do the independent route and may an alliance of independents, with the alliance doing its own TV deal (Fox, YES, SNY, regional sports net, etc).

If you start winning 9 or 10 games a year, the Big10 isn't going to look down too harshly on Independent vs. AAC.
This is all true. But I feel that if we were going to be included in the P5, we would have been there already. Everyone ids locked i with GOR's for quite some time. The P5 is now at a point where they can make money and plan how to take their cartel to the next level. I would not be surprised to see them split off eventually from the NCAA and form their own organization. They are very powerful politically as it is. I see them as the tail wagging the dog in the future.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is really all about leverage. Who has it, and when. UConn will certainly be talking to Fox, and Aresco, and ESPN, and the Big East. I don't know what will happen, but I don't think our leadership is going to allow the new American Conf. contract to be negotiated unless UConn has options. If ESPN wants to lowball UConn and the AAC, and UConn can't get special treatment, we need to be able to walk. Whether that means BE plus Independent or something else, I don't know. But the threat has to be there. We can't survive in this league with the money it brings in.

I think Fox would love to steal UConn away from ESPN. As Fishy and others have pointed out, even in a bad year, UConn had far more ESPN, CBS and ESPN2 games than even most P5 programs. We are a cash cow for ESPN. Now, what would Fox do to make that happen? I don't know. What would ESPN do to keep it from happening? I don't know that either. But it's the scenario UConn has to rely upon.

Three scenarios I think are at least possible
  • UConn stays in AAC, bigger payout and keeps tier 3 rights including perhaps a separate amount for WBB.
  • UConn Olympics to ACC, football independent (with ACC scheduling deal) or AAC (ESPN tells AAC they want us there).
  • UConn Olympics to Big East, football independent (with B1G scheduling deal). Hockey to B1G.
What I don't see is Big East plus AAC for football, unless Fox outbids ESPN for the next AAC deal. ESPN isn't going to do our football any favors if they lose basketball to Fox.

Reaction Score
This is really all about leverage. Who has it, and when. UConn will certainly be talking to Fox, and Aresco, and ESPN, and the Big East. I don't know what will happen, but I don't think our leadership is going to allow the new American Conf. contract to be negotiated unless UConn has options. If ESPN wants to lowball UConn and the AAC, and UConn can't get special treatment, we need to be able to walk. Whether that means BE plus Independent or something else, I don't know. But the threat has to be there. We can't survive in this league with the money it brings in.

I think Fox would love to steal UConn away from ESPN. As Fishy and others have pointed out, even in a bad year, UConn had far more ESPN, CBS and ESPN2 games than even most P5 programs. We are a cash cow for ESPN. Now, what would Fox do to make that happen? I don't know. What would ESPN do to keep it from happening? I don't know that either. But it's the scenario UConn has to rely upon.

Three scenarios I think are at least possible
  • UConn stays in AAC, bigger payout and keeps tier 3 rights including perhaps a separate amount for WBB.
  • UConn Olympics to ACC, football independent (with ACC scheduling deal) or AAC (ESPN tells AAC they want us there).
  • UConn Olympics to Big East, football independent (with B1G scheduling deal). Hockey to B1G.
What I don't see is Big East plus AAC for football, unless Fox outbids ESPN for the next AAC deal. ESPN isn't going to do our football any favors if they lose basketball to Fox.
If there was any scenario, which there isn't, as UConn will remain in the AAC all in, is the scenario that you don't see happening. Big East plus AAC for football, although unlikely, is the most likely of the 4 scenarios that you posted. The ACC does not want UConn and neither does the B1G for hockey or anything else. You did make me laugh when you speculated UConn hockey to the B1G with a football scheduling deal.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
The only way UConn joins the ACC is if Notre Dame goes full athletics. The only way UConn joins the B1G is if Kansas leaves the B12 (or some crazy TX/OK scenario).

Other than that, The Big East is the best option right now. I know there have been rumblings but I would eat any fee to join. Would help our brand so much. I don't give a crap if it's all catholic schools, it's better than the laughing stock Conference USA filler conference.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If there was any scenario, which there isn't, as UConn will remain in the AAC all in, is the scenario that you don't see happening. Big East plus AAC for football, although unlikely, is the most likely of the 4 scenarios that you posted. The ACC does not want UConn and neither does the B1G for hockey or anything else. You did make me laugh when you speculated UConn hockey to the B1G with a football scheduling deal.

This is among the more ridiculous, uninformed posts I've seen on the CR board, and that is saying a lot. The B1G would take UConn hockey in a heartbeat. I think your view on what the ACC wants is equally uninformed. UConn has support among a number of ACC schools, and the ACCs recent football success means they don't have to focus on football. It's more about what ESPN needs for that new digital network it funded, and that is all about content that doesn't run on the main channels, and about subscribers and markets. The ACC is in a different place once that launches. We know the BTN would see UConn women's hoops as a huge moneymaker, and that the B1G already declared UConn football a P5 team for scheduling purposes.

Everything now is a play between the various networks. The Big XII expansion fell apart mostly because ESPN chose the ACC.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the networks are no longer in a position to add incremental dollars to anything as they are more entrenched in their survival. I'm more optimistic that conference will again realign simply because the money is going to dry up sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
This is among the more ridiculous, uninformed posts I've seen on the CR board, and that is saying a lot. The B1G would take UConn hockey in a heartbeat. I think your view on what the ACC wants is equally uninformed. UConn has support among a number of ACC schools, and the ACCs recent football success means they don't have to focus on football. It's more about what ESPN needs for that new digital network it funded, and that is all about content that doesn't run on the main channels, and about subscribers and markets. The ACC is in a different place once that launches. We know the BTN would see UConn women's hoops as a huge moneymaker, and that the B1G already declared UConn football a P5 team for scheduling purposes.

Everything now is a play between the various networks. The Big XII expansion fell apart mostly because ESPN chose the ACC.
Wow, I guess we are in.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Wow, I guess we are in.

Did you even read it? There is a big assed wide gulf between "in" and "completely unwanted and out of consideration". It's where we've always been. I reject the notion that we aren't a school the ACC or B1G would want, if they wanted anybody.

Reaction Score

If the B1G would take UConn hockey in a heartbeat, why haven't they? I think the B1G would take Quinnipiac hockey before they take UConn. Have you ever seen a UConn hockey game? They are pretty bad. What would UConn hockey bring to the B1G that makes them so attractive? At least half of the ACC schools are opposed to UConn that we are aware of: BC, FSU, Cuse, Clemson, GT, NC State. Women's basketball is meaningless in CR. It it was UConn would have been in a P5 Conference years ago. ESPN advised the Big 12 not to expand, thus the Big 12 took heed of that warning, had nothing to do with the ACCN. It is my opinion that your post, although I wish it were true, is the most ridiculous, uninformed post that I have ever read.

Reaction Score
Did you even read it? There is a big assed wide gulf between "in" and "completely unwanted and out of consideration". It's where we've always been. I reject the notion that we aren't a school the ACC or B1G would want, if they wanted anybody.
They made UConn P5 so that Illinois and Indiana may play a team that they might be able to beat. Of course, that was pre-Edsall.

Reaction Score
If the B1G would take UConn hockey in a heartbeat, why haven't they? I think the B1G would take Quinnipiac hockey before they take UConn. Have you ever seen a UConn hockey game? They are pretty bad. What would UConn hockey bring to the B1G that makes them so attractive? At least half of the ACC schools are opposed to UConn that we are aware of: BC, FSU, Cuse, Clemson, GT, NC State. Women's basketball is meaningless in CR. It it was UConn would have been in a P5 Conference years ago. ESPN advised the Big 12 not to expand, thus the Big 12 took heed of that warning, had nothing to do with the ACCN. It is my opinion that your post, although I wish it were true, is the most ridiculous, uninformed post that I have ever read.
I left off Miami as a "no" vote as well.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the networks are no longer in a position to add incremental dollars to anything as they are more entrenched in their survival. I'm more optimistic that conference will again realign simply because the money is going to dry up sooner rather than later.
ESPN will continue to shed costs. Fox, however, is still in growth mode.

It's likely (and reported) that the Fox / Big East contract has an automatic plus-up for adding new members - maybe up to 2 or 4 more. This allows the conference to grow if it sees fit, and brings more content to Fox. The Big East has shown caution in expanding. It did not add in the Dayton, VCU, St Louis, (even Wichita State) type programs to expand for the sake of expansion. UConn, imo, is one of the few programs that make sense for an expansion. The move would be good for UConn, the Big East, and for Fox. Therefore, I think it is one of the few adds that Fox would actively embrace, and might even sweeten for UConn. Also, it would be a modest take from ESPN. UConn for ESPN is a bargain. ESPN pays the entire AAC about as much as it pays Wake Forest.

One of the possibilities of the Wichita add is a coordinated move for a UConn departure that is already in the works. If UConn was moving to the Big East, as there were rumblings of those discussions weeks ago, and the AAC and UConn are actually playing nice and coordinating the move, bringing in Wichita first before announcing a UConn move is very smart. If UConn has negotiated to leave football in the AAC already, both the AAC and UConn have incentives to make the Wichita replacement of UConn for hoops as coordinated as possible.

Why is a Wichita add for a departing UConn a possibility? Because it makes sense.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

You're just a troll obviously. And clueless. Why would UConn join the B1G for hockey when it is in a better league with local rivals? And mid pack of hockey east and among the top attendance teams is certainly not bad.

ACC schools liked UConn enough to vote them in until BC objected and Pitt replaced UConn. Last time, ACC football was in the toilet and they needed to shore it up. That isn't the case now. So even FSU and Clemson may no longer be opposed and I'm fairly sure BC wouldn't be. But they may not expand at all, so it wouldn't matter. But you can't assume any prior views remain as they were.

Reaction Score
You were the one who suggested that the B1G would take UConn hockey "in a heartbeat" . Time to get real. Maybe a number of years down the road things might change if UConn can sustain itself. But...there is no evidence to suggest otherwise at this time.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You were the one who suggested that the B1G would take UConn hockey "in a heartbeat" . Time to get real. Maybe a number of years down the road things might change if UConn can sustain itself. But...there is no evidence to suggest otherwise at this time.

Seriously? They were looking at Arizona State. UConn is a in a hockey rich region the B1G would like to recruit better against the local teams. It's in a good market. It's competitive in HE already. And it is among the leaders in attendance, nationally. It's UConn that would have no interest in going to the B1G for hockey, unless they got something else out of it. The B1G would love to have UConn for hockey. This isn't even controversial. The B1G folks admit it readily.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Seriously? They were looking at Arizona State. UConn is a in a hockey rich region the B1G would like to recruit better against the local teams. It's in a good market. It's competitive in HE already. And it is among the leaders in attendance, nationally. It's UConn that would have no interest in going to the B1G for hockey, unless they got something else out of it. The B1G would love to have UConn for hockey. This isn't even controversial. The B1G folks admit it readily.

They turned down ASU for various reasons. Yes, UConn hockey would be a good addition to the Big10 hockey conference, but I'm not sure it's what we need right now. We need a team with history and tradition with the the present Big10 schools. Someone that was in either the old CCHA or WCHA. Obviously, North Dakota would be the best addition, but someone like Miami, OH or Denver would fit the bill as well.

Right now isn't the time for UConn hockey in the Big10 from either side. UConn needs to be in Hockey East as long as it's in the AAC, or any other conference not named the Big10. It's where your rivals are, the travel is awesome and it's where you recruit. Notre Dame found that out after just a couple of years away from their area. Hockey is such a regional sport with intense rivalries. The Big10 finding this out the hard way.

I hope that someday we can play you all as a full member of the Big10.

Reaction Score
Many heartbeats are going by, yet no invite. I believe UConn would move hockey to the B1G to get a foot in the door. It is just not happening.

Reaction Score
UConn joins the Big East but keeps football in the AAC.

Nova and JMU join the AAC as Football-Only members (or JMU as a full member at the AAC’s option).

What if the AAC says no?
An interesting alternative would be an Alliance of Eastern Independents. By NCAA rules, this alliance would not be a conference. Rather, it would be a scheduling alliance and a consortium for negotiating a TV deal. Basically the alliance members would contract a scheduling agreement. The scheduling agreement could then be a basis for TV negotiations, with each program in the alliance getting a direct payout from a TV partner.

For example, FS1 (alone or in shared deal with SNY, YES, etc) could facilitate the Alliance by buying the schedule for ~$5M per school per year. For an 8 school alliance, that's a modest $40M for a conference that could stretch the VA to New England TV markets. FS1 would also benefit from UConn to the Big East.

UConn could improve from its ~$2M ESPN deal for all sports, to $4-$5M for Big East basketball, plus the Alliance deal for football, plus its own tier 3 rights. For the future, UConn would be no worse positioned should the P5 lottery open up, assuming it competes on the field.

Reaction Score
Like what you're proposing but Cincinnati and Temple would never take a step down and join the A-10 in anything.
They might if the money is right. If not you move down the list of candidates.

The A-10 had three bids last season to the AAC's two. The conferences had nearly identical RPIs.

The first part of the decision is the AAC accepting UConn as football only, or not. The credible risk of competing for the northeast footprint with an Alliance of Independents might help that favorable decision.

Reaction Score
They might if the money is right. If not you move down the list of candidates.

The A-10 had three bids last season to the AAC's two. The conferences had nearly identical RPIs.

The first part of the decision is the AAC accepting UConn as football only, or not. The credible risk of competing for the northeast footprint with an Alliance of Independents might help that favorable decision.
Why not add Cincinnati and UCONN to the Big East? I do realize that Xavier is located in Cincinnati as well. But adding both Cincinnati and UCONN would really strengthen the Big East and Aresco at the point of the AAC losing both schools, may allow Cinci and UCONN to park football in the AAC. Of course this is all fantasy but it's fun to think about. But I am in favor of UCONN's move to the Big East for most of the reasons that you mention.

Reaction Score
Why not add Cincinnati and UConn to the Big East? I do realize that Xavier is located in Cincinnati as well. But adding both Cincinnati and UConn would really strengthen the Big East and Aresco at the point of the AAC losing both schools, may allow Cinci and UConn to park football in the AAC. Of course this is all fantasy but it's fun to think about. But I am in favor of UConn's move to the Big East for most of the reasons that you mention.
There are certainly divided opinions on adding any "football schools" to the "basketball first" Big East. Adding UConn only has built more of a consensus for a few reasons. UConn has deeper roots in the Big East as a founding member and a power team that won multiple championships. The NY proximity is good for perception of TV value and also for increasing the demand in MSG for the tournament. Cincy doesn't really have any of that value for the Big East.

With UConn as an 11th program the Big East can still have a double round robin format, where a 12th changes the format.

As a Villanovan with interests in a complementary football deal, including Cincinnati makes sense. For most Big East members it probably doesn't. Basketball decisions purely for the sake of football are not popular.

Personally I would support adding UConn, Cincinnati, and Temple to the Big East, I just think that is a much more difficult road than just adding UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom