A Little OT: An important Admission from Ariel Massengale

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
About Diamond DeShields:
''She's one of the best players in the country,'' said Massengale, who says she's back at 100 percent. ''To have someone like that to practice against, if you can score on her and make plays against her, then I have no doubt we can do it on anyone else in the country.''

Really?

Reaction Score
About Diamond DeShields:
''She's one of the best players in the country,'' said Massengale, who says she's back at 100 percent. ''To have someone like that to practice against, if you can score on her and make plays against her, then I have no doubt we can do it on anyone else in the country.''

Really?
I think Stewie, Kiah, and Mo might have something to say about that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
About Diamond DeShields:

Really?
Yea, I'm not sure DD is known for her defensive prowess, is she? Offensively, she's a handful, but I don't remember her being a defensive stopper.

Reaction Score
Yea, I'm not sure DD is known for her defensive prowess, is she? Offensively, she's a handful, but I don't remember her being a defensive stopper.

Massengale says the UT players will no longer follow "their own agenda" and will now listen to Warlick. I guess that means they are going to buy into the concept of TEAM- something Geno/CD have taught and insisted upon from day 1. We shall see whether DD has any interest in buying into that philosophy.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
No wonder none of these players are at UConn. If you put your agenda first and don't listen to your coaches, you won't be playing for Geno. No way.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I said before when transfer speculation was ongoing - I think DD as a practice player is a mixed bag because she is such a unique talent - defensively you will not have to defend many if any players with similar games, and offensively ...? If she can truly sublimate her game to the team concepts. I think it will be a hard year for her and for her teammates.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Massengale's opening comment could be interpreted as a shot against her former teammate Simmons, who never struck me as being all about the team. JMO.

Reaction Score
I think Stewie, Kiah, and Mo might have something to say about that.

I can name 5 players they will have trouble scoring against, they are U-C-O-N-N.

JS

Reaction Score
If you put your agenda first and don't listen to your coaches, you won't be playing for Geno. No way.
Ms. Massengale no doubt meant to credit Holly Warlick for having been right, but one can also see in her words an unintended indictment of the coach for not having a firm grip on the controls.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
About Diamond DeShields:

Really?
Diamond is one of the best players. She was national Freshman of the year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ms. Massengale no doubt meant to credit Holly Warlick for having been right, but one can also see in her words an unintended indictment of the coach for not having a firm grip on the controls.

Or the seniors didn't quite accept Holly as the head coach:

"It is going to be an adjustment, especially for the seniors because Pat was involved here and then they've had to see me go from an assistant coach to a head coach," Warlick said. " ... That transition, I think, at first was a little challenging but I think now they're comfortable. They understand what we want to do."

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I believe that Holly was right about the difficulties of going from Assistant Coach to Head Coach of the same team. Do we have any examples of an Assistant Coach successfully taking a team over from a Head Coach? ( I don't know if I worded that correctly, but I think you know what I mean.)

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I believe that Holly was right about the difficulties of going from Assistant Coach to Head Coach of the same team. Do we have any examples of an Assistant Coach successfully taking a team over from a Head Coach? ( I don't know if I worded that correctly, but I think you know what I mean.)

Well, uh, there's a guy at UConn named Kevin Ollie who's done that pretty well.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Well, uh, there's a guy at UConn named Kevin Ollie who's done that pretty well.
Good one. Kevin Ollie played in the NBA for many years, and earned the players respect for that. I don't know Holly's basketball background, but she was an assistant for much longer than Ollie was.

Reaction Score
No wonder none of these players are at UConn. If you put your agenda first and don't listen to your coaches, you won't be playing for Geno. No way.
They wouldn't last the summer without listening and DOING what Shea and Marissa told them, not to mention Chris or Geno. Holly was a bad choice to replace Pat. Shea, Marissa, Morgan Valley, people with grit and knowledge . Geno has cleaned house with less than effective players (johnson,engeln, walker, and others) and it worked well for him. He replaced them with kids that worked and played hard.

Reaction Score
Good one. Kevin Ollie played in the NBA for many years, and earned the players respect for that. I don't know Holly's basketball background, but she was an assistant for much longer than Ollie was.
It's not about your resume--it's about your personality and abilities. Geno never played in the Wnba or Nba is there a better coach anywhere?? You've got to MAKE your players listen and do as you say--no molly coddling, fair, but tough love works well. The kids need to know whose in charge (basketball or in the home)--apparently the inmates were running the institution in Tenn.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
. Geno has cleaned house with less than effective players (johnson,engeln, walker, and others) and it worked well for him. He replaced them with kids that worked and played hard.

I'm not sure that the above statement is completely consistent with the facts as they are understood.
At least, the this is an over-simplification.

Reaction Score
George Siefert won two Super Bowls after taking over the 49ers from Bill Walsh

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

rbny1 cited Kevin Ollie as an assistant who stepped up and did well. But there are many instances where it didn't work. In football, the immortal Vince Lombardi was succeeded by an easily forgotten Phil Bengtson and Ray Hanley succeeded Bill Parshell as coach of the Giants. There also was some fellow named Guthridge who tried in vain to fill Dean Smith's shoes at UNC.

This thread contains a lot of sniping at Ariel and DD that I think is unnecessary and unjustified. The linked article was in the tradition of pre-season optimism that is typical of coaches and returning players. The intent was to stimulate the Tennessee fan base, but then the Law of Unintended Consequences kicked in as some Boneyarders couldn't resist putting lumps of coal in Holly and Ariel's stockings.

Reaction Score
rbny1 cited Kevin Ollie as an assistant who stepped up and did well. But there are many instances where it didn't work. In football, the immortal Vince Lombardi was succeeded by an easily forgotten Phil Bengtson and Ray Hanley succeeded Bill Parshell as coach of the Giants. There also was some fellow named Guthridge who tried in vain to fill Dean Smith's shoes at UNC.

This thread contains a lot of sniping at Ariel and DD that I think is unnecessary and unjustified. The linked article was in the tradition of pre-season optimism that is typical of coaches and returning players. The intent was to stimulate the Tennessee fan base, but then the Law of Unintended Consequences kicked in as some Boneyarders couldn't resist putting lumps of coal in Holly and Ariel's stockings.
As UCONN fans these are our inalienable rights. And the 20 minutes of video present SO many opportunities - this thread could go on for a long time without running out of fresh material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom