A Little OT: An important Admission from Ariel Massengale | Page 6 | The Boneyard

A Little OT: An important Admission from Ariel Massengale

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
they're not gonna be skipped, some people can't help but look... gives them more reason to b*#+h & moan

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Icebear said:
The board is what it is. And that is fine. JS gave a fair description my point was only that I personally find no joy here anymore, not that others should or shouldn't. It is the reason, however, my posting has virtually dried up. OC, Warren, was a very good friend and to my wife's chagrin we could talk for a couple of hours post game on a variety of subjects from the game, to ski equipment, Burke Mountain Academy, or Warren's current pet project. His stroke and rehab and his passing were a real loss to me as well to the many others whose lives he touched in and around sports.

On top of that from last November on I was dealing 5 individuals 52 and under all fighting terminal prognosis ranging from severe vascular disease to ALS to cancers. Only one is still alive, a thirty-four year old single mom with two kids battling skin melanoma who travels for treatment out of country for wholistic treatments because she has stopped chemo for more good days with her kids than bad ones. She is a well educated nurse and understands the choices she has made. I saw her Thursday and she ran up to me and gave me a big hug with an energy she hasn't had in a year. She's back to work two days a week. Whatever the number of her days she has the two most important things in her life, her work and her kids and feels good enough in the moment to enjoy them and her numerous friends. She is filled with joy because they define her and she has come love that.

Most of this has been brewing since the events in Boston two years ago at the marathon. In the chaos early in the event I posted a segment of St. Patrick's Shield a historical prayer of guardianship. I posted it,specifically, because of the great number of Irish cops, fire fighters and EMS folks who were in the midst of the events that still were filled with peril. Irish has always been synonymous with Boston despite the multicultural reality of the city. Unfortunately, the rhythm of the piece repeats Christ again and again. I chose it for the context. It offended some and I was told by a moderator not offer any prayers or religious comments anymore. I asked what that meant so I could meet expectations but no one could define what was and wasn't appropriate. JS was very helpful and encouraging but the problem is it made me second guess everything I say or write because I see the world through spiritual lens, ones that others may not see. It is just part of how many of us as pastors are wired.

Trying to turn the lens on and off is not effective for me. I end up second guessing much of what I write or should write and don't feel free to respond to requests for prayers like ABach's because in the past I would often write a brief prayer. Certainly, nothing long but more than the cursory, "Your in my thoughts and prayers." Many expressed thanks for the effort involved.

Essentially, I felt I could no longer just "be me." That, too, robbed joy from my participation. I could no longer just "be" I felt obligated to "be other."

In all this the board is what it is and that is as it should be. JS likes it and that is good and as it should be. But for me it isn't working and what was once a place where I regained my balance and let down my guard a bit no longer works that way. It is time to check out that road not taken and see if there is new joy.

I'll still be around and reading but to the benefit of all of you you will much less to read. God bless.

IceBear, I am so sad to read this, and I am having a hard time accepting that you will no longer be posting here.

[mod edit]

There are so many new posters on this board who will not know your humor will not be uplifted by your words if they are in need, and will not learn from your knowledge of the game that we all love.

In a year where we have lost posters to the natural life process it begs to ask why we do not hold on to those we have who have enriched this board for so many years.

I will miss you my friend, and I believe truly that this is the boneyard's loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
ChicagoGG said:
Ice - I would miss you more than I could say - please reconsider (and if permitted, please post the link to your pastoral blog that I lost when my computer went south.... It is a good place for me to go and read when I need to reflect.).

You should PM him with this request just saying

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ice, maybe now you have that off your chest will feel better about the board. Are you sure we can't offer brief prayers on this board? I didn't know that.

praying-dog10.jpg

Please let the UCONN-Duke WCBB game this year be at least semi-competitive.

(is this allowed on the Boneyard??)

Reaction Score
More posters add more points of view making a more interesting board. If someone finds another poster annoying, they should use the Ignore feature. If certain types of threads aren't of interest, they can be skipped. Having a greater variety of opinions offers a greater variety of posts. It's really a win-win situation.

In my opinion this is a UConn WBB board. Threads about other teams are OT and should be labeled as such.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame, Tennessee or Lady of the Poor isn't enough in the title for you to pass over it?

Who says I want to pass over them? I like posting sarcastic remarks in them. I was only offering a suggestion for a way to flag threads for people do. Others are complaining about the number of threads about other teams. This thread is flagged OT so the question is really, why are posters complaining about the UT content in here?

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
You should PM him with this request just saying

Yes, you are right, but thought maybe someone else would find his blog interesting as well, that's why I did it on the board.

Reaction Score
I have followed UCONN WBB for years but only found the boneyard last year. It is a terrific forum with extremely knowledgeable posters. And it is very user friendly, specifically the feature that takes me to the first unread post. No other site I have visited has such knowledgeable posters or the ease of use. Thank you to all the posters for great interaction. Finally I enjoy having supporters of other programs on the BY. Not only do they offer another perspective, they validate the BY as the best site for WCBB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom