A List of Candidates if Edsall Did Get Fired (Which he Won't) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A List of Candidates if Edsall Did Get Fired (Which he Won't)

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
1. Outside of any BYers who may happen to hold local office, nobody in government is monitoring this place.

2. Football is a complete political non-factor in this state, regardless of affiliation. Around 1.4 million people voted in the governors' race, and the fraction of that number that actively cares about UConn football? Too small to fathom.

Pretty sure the FBI monitors the cesspool. If not, I suggest they start

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Realistically speaking I'm more or less on board with giving Edsall one more year to show some improvement, but if Addazio did become available, and he wanted to come here, that's a move Benedict HAS to make IMO. With his ties to the area, wishful thinking leads me to believe he might be able to keep at least 1 of the top ten recruits from Ct that go to big P5 schools, which would help turn things around. There's more talent in CT than people might think; they just have absolutely no interest in coming here, and honestly at this point, why would they? Certainly not for edsall; he couldn't get the good in state players in his first stint when we were competent. Addazio just seems like it would be a perfect fit to me idk. Of course, there's no guarantee he gets fired from BC.

Reaction Score
Medic, explain to me why we would owe randy his buyout money if he has not signed a contract? I’m sure we must, because randy isn’t stupid, but it’s a question worth asking

Relevant language: "... this letter and the terms set herein will continue to exist as the binding agreement between the parties until the execution of formal employment contract"

As far as I’m aware - Hurley hasn’t signed his contract yet either almost 8 months in.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily want as a head coach but I always thought al golden would be great on the staff for experience and recruiting

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'd take Paul Johnson in a nano second. Its option, but they put up points.

I hate watching the triple option but I also think its the likeliest way to win here based on the talent pool and conditions.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Addazio would be the only name on this list even considering. Everything else are confirmed failures or a wild swing of desperation.

Hence, why Edsall isn't going anywhere unless next year (or two) is another hopeless disaster.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Realistically speaking I'm more or less on board with giving Edsall one more year to show some improvement, but if Addazio did become available, and he wanted to come here, that's a move Benedict HAS to make IMO. With his ties to the area, wishful thinking leads me to believe he might be able to keep at least 1 of the top ten recruits from Ct that go to big P5 schools, which would help turn things around. There's more talent in CT than people might think; they just have absolutely no interest in coming here, and honestly at this point, why would they? Certainly not for edsall; he couldn't get the good in state players in his first stint when we were competent. Addazio just seems like it would be a perfect fit to me idk. Of course, there's no guarantee he gets fired from BC.

I'd like this, except my Thanksgiving resolution is to not encourage overvaluing CT HS recruits. I agree on Addazio though. You'd have to consider it after next season if he became available. BC as a program was a bigger lost cause that what PP and BD inherited.

Reaction Score
I'd like this, except my Thanksgiving resolution is to not encourage overvaluing CT HS recruits. I agree on Addazio though. You'd have to consider it after next season if he became available. BC as a program was a bigger lost cause that what PP and BD inherited.

I'm not sure Addazio makes sense anymore for Uconn. Post PP maybe, but now? I think that ship has sailed. JMO but his preferred style of play that utilizes a physical running game, tries to control TOP and create favorable field position only works if you can recruit players good enough to impose physicality on their opponents. Can Uconn land these players in The AAC? It also doesn't address the fact that even in The ACC he has had a hard time matching up with spread/up tempo teams like Cuse. The AAC would be very sobering for someone who has shown difficulty defending this style of play.

Uconn needs to go after a true system coach that can recruit a specific type of player to that system. That player might be a 2 or 3 star nationally, but in the correct program might perform like a 4 star. The Huskies need an imaginative coach who can win by out scheming his opponents in order to work around the athletic mismatches they will see against Florida and Texas Schools.

Consider what Mike Leach has done at WSU. They are consistently in the bottom third of PAC 12 Recruiting Rankings, have the smallest stadium in The P5, and a smallish fan base to go with it. Their state produces little talent, and what it does produce goes to UW or locations elsewhere. Despite these obvious disadvantages Leach has got them to the point of competing with and defeating programs like USC, Oregon, UCLA, etc. Uconn needs to run a system and recruit to it. If it works in Pullman it can work in CT. Edsall isn't running a system, he's running a Chinese Fire Drill masquerading as football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Going to a Paul Johnson style triple option would be a winning move for UCONN. It works, you don't need the best recruits (perfect given our current conference problem when recruiting against our local peers) and it is perfect for CT weather in late OCT/NOV. Personally I think it is fun to watch. Pindell probably would have been great at it, Shirreffs too. I don't expect it will ever happen.

The Buffalo coach had been brought up, Army beat Buffalo this year 42 - 13 running the Paul Johnson offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I got just the guy. He's only been a head coach at 2 places. One he brought up to the FBS level and the other, although it was his dream school, canned him for taking to long to get to their young, weak and slow players developed..
His most recent gig he's achieved w/l records of 3-9 and 1-11. Might seem a bit weak but he was implementing a new defensive scheme and was surprised his second year at how young, weak and slow his players were. He has noted he will not be fooled by this again. Think UConn can get him to sign a contract easily if it also hires his son.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I got just the guy. He's only been a head coach at 2 places. One he brought up to the FBS level and the other, although it was his dream school, canned him for taking to long to get to their young, weak and slow players developed..
His most recent gig he's achieved w/l records of 3-9 and 1-11. Might seem a bit weak but he was implementing a new defensive scheme and was surprised his second year at how young, weak and slow his players were. He has noted he will not be fooled by this again. Think UConn can get him to sign a contract easily if it also hires his son.

This was funny and clever!

Reaction Score
1. Outside of any BYers who may happen to hold local office, nobody in government is monitoring this place.

2. Football is a complete political non-factor in this state, regardless of affiliation. Around 1.4 million people voted in the governors' race, and the fraction of that number that actively cares about UConn football? Too small to fathom.
My suspicion is that UConn football is on the possible chopping block when it comes to the state budget. We need to make our voices loud and clear that moving away from FBS is not the answer.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sticking my neck out here - I’ve been watching Elon (FCS) football since my son was accepted there. They were pretty bad until they brought this guy, who had been a coach at Alabama -

Curt Cignetti - Head Football Coach - Staff Directory - Elon Phoenix Athletics

Elon beat the #2ranked FCS team this year and was ranked as high as #5. They’ve been to two FCS playoffs in Cignetti’s only two years at the school. The team and administration at Elon love him, too.

Maybe there are more viable candidates that could be considered rather than retreads.

Reaction Score
Best to consider young coaches who are successful at present gigs. That's the way to go, IMHO. It's what other schools do, geez.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
My suspicion is that UConn football is on the possible chopping block when it comes to the state budget. We need to make our voices loud and clear that moving away from FBS is not the answer.

Okay, troll.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom