A List of Candidates if Edsall Did Get Fired (Which he Won't) | The Boneyard

A List of Candidates if Edsall Did Get Fired (Which he Won't)

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Just for fun, we can make a list of potential candidates if Edsall was canned (which he won't be). I'm not going to list guys we have no shot at...

Mike Sanford--just fired from Western Kentucky after two years. Served at Stanford, Boise State, and Notre Dame in the past and was OC at the latter two. He guided Boise to a 12 win season and NY6 victory over Arizona. He was only given two years at WKU and came on the heels of a successful stint by Jeff Brohm, but Sanford is only 36 and probably has time to figure it out.

Joe Harasymiak--this name was thrown around in a thread on the board this week. HC at Maine who went 8-3 this season and nearly upset FBS Central Michigan. They are the #12 ranked FCS team this year. He was defensive coordinator at UMaine before taking over as HC and has previously served at Mass Maritime and Springfield College. He's doing well, but he lacks FBS experience at any level and is only 32.

Larry Fedora--random name, but I figure Fedora is probably the highest profile coach who we'd have a snowball's chance at...until we get to our next name. He has a 45-43 career record at UNC and had several impressive seasons at a school not at all known for its football. He had five solid seasons, but his two most recent seasons were ugly. Fedora runs a spread offense and is a southern guy through and through, so coming up north to UConn seems unlikely.

DJ Durkin--Probably not a snowball's chance that Durkin gets touched with a ten foot pole by any FBS program outside of the usual suspects like FAU, FIU, etc. Durkin led a stout Michigan defense and seems to have done an okay job cleaning up Randy's mess at Maryland on the field, but he is also insane and abusive. I'd say hard pass, but if we're looking for a big name at UConn, these are the kinds of guys we need to look at for better or for worse.

Art Briles--Just when you thought we'd seen the most explosive name in Durkin, we move on to Art Briles. Let me preface this by saying that I would be livid if we hired Art Briles and would not go to our games. Let me follow that by reiterating that if we want proven coaches, we need to pretty much disparage our reputation and eat the trash. Briles was 65-37 at Baylor, reaching 10 wins four times in eight years. He can clearly coach and recruit and knows Texas well, as he coached UH before coming to Baylor. We could absolutely hire Briles, as nobody wants him and he's coaching pro football in Italy, but no chance the school wants to associate itself with his name.

Steve Addazio--Hasn't been fired from BC yet, but AD Jarmond would not comment on Addazio's future when asked by reporters following BC's drubbing at the hands of Cuse this past Saturday. Addazio is a better version of mediocrity than what we have in Edsall--he is pretty much the Jeff Fisher of college football. Daz wins 7 games almost every year with an ugly offense and stout defense. He has CT roots and would be a realistic hire if fired from BC.

Mike MacIntyre--Fired from Colorado. He's really never been up north besides a short stint as DC at Temple. He had one great season at SJSU that catapulted him to his position at CU Boulder, where he again found magic in CU's surprise 2016 ten win campaign that can most likely be attributed to Cory Edsall's work as a graduate assistant. Outside of these two years, MacIntyre has been pretty awful, though it is admittedly tough to make CU competitive in the Pac 12.

Paul Johnson--He's still employed at GT, but could very well be out of a job in the next week. In a perfect world, I think Johnson would be a great candidate at UConn. We clearly need to think differently if we want to succeed in the AAC, and the option offense serves to neutralize talent. When squaring off against Florida and Texas schools in conference, this would be a great asset. These kinds of offenses have been largely successful in our conference with Navy and Tulane. The issue is that implementing this scheme would require a serious rebuilding of the roster, and we frankly don't have time to wait another three years to get the ball rolling.

Ricky Rahne--followed Moorhead as OC at PSU. They had a bit of a disappointing season, but he has a lot of experience in the northeast as he's been at PSU, Holy Cross, and played and coached at Cornell.

Chip Long--OC at Notre Dame. Would be a huge long shot for us, but he has coached in the conference as OC at Memphis. He's brought Notre Dame an undefeated record and incredibly successful offense. There is talk that Chip Long will be sought after by Alabama to serve as their OC next year assuming that Locksley gets the UMD job.

TJ Weist--Just kidding, that's an awful idea.

Debate any of these names or add more...just please try to keep them at least somewhat realistic. Kliff Kingsbury isn't coming here, nor is any other high profile coach who ends up fired. Let's try to avoid those names.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Oh god why are you doing this to yourself lol

Because blind conjecture is peak Boneyard. And because our program is in such a bad place that finding people who might coach us is kind of a fun exercise. Trying to keep my brain sharp while sitting through a painfully boring class

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It's really not the worst idea in the world. You better have a good defense though.

I do think Paul Johnson is the best candidate on the list who is both realistic and could give us a shot at success. He's done a pretty good job at Georgia Tech. Randy is from his coaching tree, so maybe he could get Randy to stick around and serve as DC lol

Reaction Score
Not sold on Paul Johnson - but maybe a former assistant at GSU, Navy and GT...Brian Bohannon. He's been killing it at Kennesaw State. The Harasymiak choice is interesting - young and successful.

Reaction Score
Let's keep the names coming. Phil did a great job. With these kinds of lists, we send a message to the incoming governor we want a competitive UConn football team. Many of us like Randy, and it would be sad to see him go. So either give him what he needs to make UConn football viable or get someone else.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not sold on Paul Johnson - but maybe a former assistant at GSU, Navy and GT...Brian Bohannon. He's been killing it at Kennesaw State. The Harasymiak choice is interesting - young and successful.

That's actually an interesting name and I wouldn't be opposed. I prefer looking at successful FCS head coaches or retread FBS head coaches than coordinators, and Bohannon has done well.

Reaction Score
I do think Paul Johnson is the best candidate on the list who is both realistic and could give us a shot at success. He's done a pretty good job at Georgia Tech. Randy is from his coaching tree, so maybe he could get Randy to stick around and serve as DC lol

I detest the triple option. It’s dirty football.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not going to list guys we have no shot at...

Realistically, there is no shot at the names on that list either. If Edsall were canned, I believe he would be owed $3 million. Add that to the $Million+ or so for any name on that list and consider the $3.4 million dished out for Diaco, the only realistic move might be to replace Crocker, who I believe is owed nothing. Don't know if it is still the case, but assistants are hired on a renewing 1 or 2 year deals and Crocker just completed his second season.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Durkin and Briles are both hard passes for me. As much as I want UConn to win football games, I would never want our school associated with either of these two scumbags.

But...

...I can stomach another guy who got into some hot water, albeit much less hot than Durkin/Briles: Jim Tressel. He had a "show cause" attached to him but I think that may have expired. Even if it's active, a "show cause" shouldn't matter here because we are likely light years away from going to a bowl game. He's at Youngstown State as an administrator and announced he was "retiring" from coaching. He's 65 and hasn't coached in a gazillion years. But the dude wins games and 2 of our last 3 head coach hires have been older retreads. Most impressively for a potential UConn hire, he won games at Youngstown State.

It won't happen. But a fun name to add the dreamer's list. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Durkin and Briles are both hard passes for me. As much as I want UConn to win football games, I would never want our school associated with either of these two scumbags.

But...

...I can stomach another guy who got into some hot water, albeit for much less hot than Durkin/Briles: Jim Tressel. He had a "show cause" attached to him but I think that may have expired. Even if it's active, a "show cause" shouldn't matter here because we are likely light years away from going to a bowl game. He's at Youngstown State as an administrator and announced he was "retiring" from coaching. He's 65 and hasn't coached in a gazillion years. But the dude wins games and 2 of our last 3 head coach hires have been older retreads. Most impressively for a potential UConn hire, he won games at Youngstown State.

It won't happen. But a fun name to add the dreamer's list. :)

None of this is based in reality - just fun to talk about. I haven't heard another slightly shady name floated, Greg Schiano. I'm sure $ would get in the way, but he's proved that he can own the NE corridor (and I think he wants to prove himself after the whole TN yes...no debacle).

Reaction Score
... the only realistic move might be to replace Crocker, who I believe is owed nothing. Don't know if it is still the case, but assistants are hired on a renewing 1 or 2 year deals and Crocker just completed his second season.

Crocker was hired w/ a 3 year contract @ $300k annually.

(Your dollars are off for Edsall but it appears to be a moot point).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
None of this is based in reality - just fun to talk about. I haven't heard another slightly shady name floated, Greg Schiano. I'm sure $ would get in the way, but he's proved that he can own the NE corridor (and I think he wants to prove himself after the whole TN yes...no debacle).

I would hire Greg Schiano in a heartbeat if everything lined up. I'd also volunteer to go guard all rocks on the UConn campus all night so that some student can't spray paint anything to cancel the hire.

Reaction Score
Just for fun, we can make a list of potential candidates if Edsall was canned (which he won't be). I'm not going to list guys we have no shot at...

Mike Sanford--just fired from Western Kentucky after two years. Served at Stanford, Boise State, and Notre Dame in the past and was OC at the latter two. He guided Boise to a 12 win season and NY6 victory over Arizona. He was only given two years at WKU and came on the heels of a successful stint by Jeff Brohm, but Sanford is only 36 and probably has time to figure it out.

Joe Harasymiak--this name was thrown around in a thread on the board this week. HC at Maine who went 8-3 this season and nearly upset FBS Central Michigan. They are the #12 ranked FCS team this year. He was defensive coordinator at UMaine before taking over as HC and has previously served at Mass Maritime and Springfield College. He's doing well, but he lacks FBS experience at any level and is only 32.

Larry Fedora--random name, but I figure Fedora is probably the highest profile coach who we'd have a snowball's chance at...until we get to our next name. He has a 45-43 career record at UNC and had several impressive seasons at a school not at all known for its football. He had five solid seasons, but his two most recent seasons were ugly. Fedora runs a spread offense and is a southern guy through and through, so coming up north to UConn seems unlikely.

DJ Durkin--Probably not a snowball's chance that Durkin gets touched with a ten foot pole by any FBS program outside of the usual suspects like FAU, FIU, etc. Durkin led a stout Michigan defense and seems to have done an okay job cleaning up Randy's mess at Maryland on the field, but he is also insane and abusive. I'd say hard pass, but if we're looking for a big name at UConn, these are the kinds of guys we need to look at for better or for worse.

Art Briles--Just when you thought we'd seen the most explosive name in Durkin, we move on to Art Briles. Let me preface this by saying that I would be livid if we hired Art Briles and would not go to our games. Let me follow that by reiterating that if we want proven coaches, we need to pretty much disparage our reputation and eat the trash. Briles was 65-37 at Baylor, reaching 10 wins four times in eight years. He can clearly coach and recruit and knows Texas well, as he coached UH before coming to Baylor. We could absolutely hire Briles, as nobody wants him and he's coaching pro football in Italy, but no chance the school wants to associate itself with his name.

Steve Addazio--Hasn't been fired from BC yet, but AD Jarmond would not comment on Addazio's future when asked by reporters following BC's drubbing at the hands of Cuse this past Saturday. Addazio is a better version of mediocrity than what we have in Edsall--he is pretty much the Jeff Fisher of college football. Daz wins 7 games almost every year with an ugly offense and stout defense. He has CT roots and would be a realistic hire if fired from BC.

Mike MacIntyre--Fired from Colorado. He's really never been up north besides a short stint as DC at Temple. He had one great season at SJSU that catapulted him to his position at CU Boulder, where he again found magic in CU's surprise 2016 ten win campaign that can most likely be attributed to Cory Edsall's work as a graduate assistant. Outside of these two years, MacIntyre has been pretty awful, though it is admittedly tough to make CU competitive in the Pac 12.

Paul Johnson--He's still employed at GT, but could very well be out of a job in the next week. In a perfect world, I think Johnson would be a great candidate at UConn. We clearly need to think differently if we want to succeed in the AAC, and the option offense serves to neutralize talent. When squaring off against Florida and Texas schools in conference, this would be a great asset. These kinds of offenses have been largely successful in our conference with Navy and Tulane. The issue is that implementing this scheme would require a serious rebuilding of the roster, and we frankly don't have time to wait another three years to get the ball rolling.

Ricky Rahne--followed Moorhead as OC at PSU. They had a bit of a disappointing season, but he has a lot of experience in the northeast as he's been at PSU, Holy Cross, and played and coached at Cornell.

Chip Long--OC at Notre Dame. Would be a huge long shot for us, but he has coached in the conference as OC at Memphis. He's brought Notre Dame an undefeated record and incredibly successful offense. There is talk that Chip Long will be sought after by Alabama to serve as their OC next year assuming that Locksley gets the UMD job.

TJ Weist--Just kidding, that's an awful idea.

Debate any of these names or add more...just please try to keep them at least somewhat realistic. Kliff Kingsbury isn't coming here, nor is any other high profile coach who ends up fired. Let's try to avoid those names.

Let's just offer Lashlee the job and get it over with. Time to get an offensive coach into the HC job. At a minimum, hell...no minimums...just get rid of Edsall...can't stand him.

Reaction Score
I'd take Addazio or Briles. I'd immediately renew my season tickets if they got 1 of these 2.

Reaction Score
I’m interested to see what names @Cubbybear would throw out.....me I’m of the camp now that a guy like Briles may be the one shot you can get at redemption...sell your soul and make a deal with the devil to win on the gridiron.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Edsall isn't going anywhere. This is all fun, but more changes would just set us back unless we somehow landed a legendary coach. We need continuity as much as anything.

What we need is for Randy to focus on winning games and recruiting. Lashlee had us playing solid offense and I think even the current OC is being handcuffed by Randy's style preferences. Let them do their job Randy.

Crocker I think should go. I doubt that this season is really all on him, but something is horribly broken and he didn't fix it, so he owns it. I'm not talking schemes here, I mean an inability to tackle, lack of pursuit to the ball, taking bad angles, it was a bad news bears level of bad out there, no matter what the scheme was. New DC needs to preach fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals. Pick a scheme that fits the players, 4-3, 3-4, doesn't matter. You'll be in Nickel half the time anyway.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Let's keep the names coming. Phil did a great job. With these kinds of lists, we send a message to the incoming governor we want a competitive UConn football team. Many of us like Randy, and it would be sad to see him go. So either give him what he needs to make UConn football viable or get someone else.

1. Outside of any BYers who may happen to hold local office, nobody in government is monitoring this place.

2. Football is a complete political non-factor in this state, regardless of affiliation. Around 1.4 million people voted in the governors' race, and the fraction of that number that actively cares about UConn football? Too small to fathom.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
@uconnphil2016 how bout Bob Diaco 2.0? Maybe he'd come for free for the first couple years since he's already been paid for them.

Reaction Score
If we're just playing for fun:

Mike Houston - JMU

Chris Klieman - NDSU

Scott Satterfield - App State

Cliff Kingsbury - TT

Brent Venables - Clemson

Cale Gundy - OU

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors