A Geno tease on Azzi | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Geno tease on Azzi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
looks skinnier .... am i allowed to say that?
It looks to me as though several players have lost weight. That's not a comment on their appearance, it's a comment on how much this season has taken out of them.

Doomsayers, I have two words for you: Grace Berger. She was out for over a month with a bone bruise and sprained knee, on the sidelines in sweats with a big brace on her leg. A few days later came back and had 16 points and 5 rebounds in her first game back.

Gamers gonna game.

Reaction Score
It looks to me as though several players have lost weight. That's not a comment on their appearance, it's a comment on how much this season has taken out of them.

Doomsayers, I have two words for you: Grace Berger. She was out for over a month with a bone bruise and sprained knee, on the sidelines in sweats with a big brace on her leg. A few days later came back and had 16 points and 5 rebounds in her first game back.

Gamers gonna game.
And look how Indiana's season took off after her return!

Reaction Score
That doesn't look so game-ready to me.
I went to a school (Villanova) with a guy named Wally Jones (played in a few pick-up games with him). During his last couple years at VU, as I recall, he had to wear a similar brace just to get thru each game. He was an all-american and went on to the NBA (PG / WG for the NBA champion 76ers); post-retirement, he was listed as one of the top 50 NBA players of all time. The newer generation of players would have pushed him off that list, if they even publish such a list now . Point being, elaborate knee braces were not uncommon 'in the day' and should work even better today, once a player gets comfortable with them (which could take a little while, so sooner is better to try it out)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
There are no "day between games" in the BE tourney. Everybody plays at least 3 consecutive days until elimination. If UConn wants to get to the tournament final, they will have to play next Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

The Saturday game will have a rested UConn squad against a team (either Butler or Georgetown) that will have played the day before. Sunday will be the first real test, against either St. John's or Marquette (the only BE teams to have beaten us this year).

If Azzi is going to be ready for the BE tourney, I'd guess she might make a token appearance on Saturday, and hopefully be ready for hard knocks on Sunday.
Actually they only have to play Saturday and Sunday to get to the final on Monday. The teams playing on Friday would have to play three days straight just to make it to the final.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Azzi - part of the bench. If she is healthy she will be starting . Period
She is the NPOY talent that we need right now. Last year Paige did not come off the bench when she was cleared. Let’s make sure we are crystal clear.
Azzi is not CD
If you are implying that Azzi will start the first game back, I beg to differ. But time , hopefully, will tell! Many people are assuming her return will only bring good things, and I hope they are right. But if other players start to hesitate to shoot or start to overly rely on Azzi, that could be a negative. Either way, I just hope we get to see her on the court and how things play out from there.
I hope the coaches decide to bring Azzi off the bench as a spark plug, similar to DT, Shea, Maya, etc. Last year, the lineup of Edwards, Nelson-Ododa, Williams, Muhl & Fudd scored an average of 77.4 vs 43.5 points over 6 games towards the end of the season, with a avg point differential of 34. Then in the NCAAT, it went to Edwards, Nelson-Ododa, Bueckers, Williams & Fudd and the scoring over 6 games was 68.8 vs 58.7 points, with a 10.2 differential. Yes, we lost in the natty by 15, and the competition is higher in the NCAAT than in the BE, however there have been some posters that have opined about adding Paige to the starting lineup in the NCAAT and whether or not that was was a prudent decision.

Starters set the tone based on assumed matchups, however it may be more important to put players on the floor during the game that are producing, regardless of whether or not they start.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just a quick comment on Azzis "I'll be ready when I'm ready" comment. Did she really say that, was it taken out of context, who did she say it to? I believe if she did say that it came with a little "attitude." That would be frustration on her part. How many times do you think she has been asked when she would be back? Geno gets sarcastic if he is asked the same question over and over. We have asked this question a hundred times, me included. Azzi is a basketball nut, and it must be killing her to be sitting out. I know time is running out since she will need time to get acclimated again to her teammates, but I am also sure she is doing whatever she can to get ready to come back. We have to be patient and she will decide when the time is right. I feel our frustration, but Azzi will not let us down, and hopefully we will see her during the BE tournament.

She was paraphrased by Geno, who’s been known to indulge in a little hyperbole
Yes, Geno was actually comparing Ducharme and Fudd. Basically saying Fudd is in a similar situation to what Ducharme was. They'll know they're ready when they know they're ready.

Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I really want Azzi's health to improve so she can play in the Big East and/or the NCAA Tournament!
BUT, the word is she's only been able to work with Coach Valley on the sidelines!
That's a long way from full all out work in normal practices let alone in real games!
It'll take at least 7 to 10 days of all out practice to get her ready for game shape.
No one wants her to come back not in top shape and worsen the condition of her knee! Geno wouldn't allow that anyway!
Time is running out as she can't improve to full practicing yet!
So she'll need almost a miracle to make it back this year!
As I said, I really hope so, but the pieces better get put together real quick to make this become a reality!
We are what we are, and we have to deal with that. Don't count on the Fudd Factor.

Reaction Score
a closer look, and one can see she does not have her gaming pigtails..
Knee braces don't do as much as they appear they should. I mean, maybe they help you walk to class. But not play on a basketball court.

Reaction Score
The BE tournament . . . we are probably vulnerable in the second round of it. Azzi certainly makes a difference there.
I assume you meant the THIRD round (our second GAME).

We have a bye in the first round. We open in the second round on Saturday vs Butler or Georgetown. Win that, and on Sunday (round 3) we face either Marquette or St. John's, two teams that have had our number this year. Get past that one, and we meet probably Villanova or Creighton in the finals on Monday evening.

So our first big test in the tournament will be on Sunday at 3 pm, in our first back-to-back game of the season. That's when Azzi's presence would first be appreciated. One tiny edge for us in this game will be that we will have played our previous game at noon on Saturday, while the more competitive Marquette-St.John's game will have been at 2:30 on Saturday. And in perhaps the most interesting second round matchup on Saturday, a rested Villanova will probably be facing a tired DePaul (Siegrist vs Morrow).

The BE tourney is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes endurance, and substitution management throughout the tournament is crucial.

Reaction Score
Actually they only have to play Saturday and Sunday to get to the final on Monday. The teams playing on Friday would have to play three days straight just to make it to the final.
My point, Sarge, is that to win this tournament, you have to play (and win) on at least three consecutive days. That's a test that no team in this conference has faced all year. The team with the endurance to play well on each of those days will be BE champ.

Reaction Score
I went to a school (Villanova) with a guy named Wally Jones (played in a few pick-up games with him). During his last couple years at VU, as I recall, he had to wear a similar brace just to get thru each game. He was an all-american and went on to the NBA (PG / WG for the NBA champion 76ers); post-retirement, he was listed as one of the top 50 NBA players of all time. The newer generation of players would have pushed him off that list, if they even publish such a list now . Point being, elaborate knee braces were not uncommon 'in the day' and should work even better today, once a player gets comfortable with them (which could take a little while, so sooner is better to try it out)

According to orthopedists, there are many knee injuries where a brace doesn't help at all.

Reaction Score
So why now? Why not next year? This team shall need a new mind set, a new set of game plans , do 20 per cent more scoring, and 90 percent fewer turnovers, and 20 percent more Rebounds to be in the FF---or the key to most NC-s (so says Geno)---lots of LUCK.
She already lost the year. Too late to redshirt. If she can play, she will want to and so will the entire team. They know what she brings.

Reaction Score
I remember Wally Jones. That 6er team was one of the best ever. I bet he was tremendous in pick up games. Several NBA players wore braces back in the day. I don't see how they will stop a serious knee injury like an ACL from happening now in the women's game. Medicine and sports rehab just has to come up with something. My daughter had 3 of them. 2 in basketball, 1 in lacrosse.

Reaction Score
I just hope Azzi comes back for good, not for 1 or 2 games

I suppose she will have a better shooting than Caroline

Reaction Score
I remember Wally Jones. That 6er team was one of the best ever. I bet he was tremendous in pick up games. Several NBA players wore braces back in the day. I don't see how they will stop a serious knee injury like an ACL from happening now in the women's game. Medicine and sports rehab just has to come up with something. My daughter had 3 of them. 2 in basketball, 1 in lacrosse.
All he wanted to do was post up in pickup games, because he rarely got to do that otherwise and the rest of his game needed no work or proving (to a bunch of hacks like us). There is a good picture in my yearbook that shows Billy Raftery (the iconic sports broadcaster now, and then an outstanding Bballer at Lasalle ) pushing Jones to the court during some game action

JBK

Reaction Score
I hope the coaches decide to bring Azzi off the bench as a spark plug, similar to DT, Shea, Maya, etc. Last year, the lineup of Edwards, Nelson-Ododa, Williams, Muhl & Fudd scored an average of 77.4 vs 43.5 points over 6 games towards the end of the season, with a avg point differential of 34. Then in the NCAAT, it went to Edwards, Nelson-Ododa, Bueckers, Williams & Fudd and the scoring over 6 games was 68.8 vs 58.7 points, with a 10.2 differential. Yes, we lost in the natty by 15, and the competition is higher in the NCAAT than in the BE, however there have been some posters that have opined about adding Paige to the starting lineup in the NCAAT and whether or not that was was a prudent decision.

Starters set the tone based on assumed matchups, however it may be more important to put players on the floor during the game that are producing, regardless of whether or not they start.
Of course she will not start in the 1st few games. But when she is ready she should

Reaction Score
Let's see. We have one of the best shooters in women's basketball, how do we fit her in our plans? I am no Einstein, but I would put her out there, get out of her way, and let her shoot.
Keep the picture but me thinks you might change the handle, "my too common sense". ;)
Knee braces don't do as much as they appear they should. I mean, maybe they help you walk to class. But not play on a basketball court.
No attack here just disagree. One has and I don't often, watch an NBA game and see the number of players wearing a knee brace or two.
Million dollar athletes post injury or to prevent are not just using them to walk to class. Something tells me that pro and D1 schools have a orthopedic professionals making the decisions on what is needed to prevent further injury.
A few samples here of companies locked in on more than a stroll across the campus.
Top 10 Best Knee Braces for Basketball Players in 2020

Hope to see Azzi back ASAP with or without a brace, just a guess she will be wearing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom