A Geno tease on Azzi | Page 5 | The Boneyard

A Geno tease on Azzi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With Azzi and Caroline back, one of them will most likely be on the floor with Lou or the two of them together with Lou on the bench. It will still open up the lane for Dorka, Aaliayah, Aubrey, and Annya to play more freely. Nika will just have a field day each game with double digit assists to the shooters behind the line and down low to the post area.
Auriemma might even sneak four guards in for a few minutes.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Auriemma might even sneak four guards in for a few minutes.
4 Guards? I can see 3 if you want to count Lou but Aubrey and CD are not guards, wings if anything and I don't want either dribbling the ball up court or relying on them to make passing decisions. Azzi will clearly help spell Nika and give Geno another smart decision maker which this team has been sorely lacking as evidenced by so many turnovers.

Reaction Score
UConn has another three-point shooter but, she is not being used. Because she is tall everyone thinks she should be a post but she does not have a post mentality. She has a guard's mentality, and she plays very little.
This particular player you mention has made 5 3's in 23 games. And what would this particular player give you on the other end of the floor ?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This particular player you mention has made 5 3's in 23 games. And what would this particular player give you on the other end of the floor ?
The other end of the court has not been as big a problem as the offensive end. Some people get on her because she does not always contribute immediately. In Caroline's first game back, she did very little until the fourth quarter when she scored ten points. I would like to have seen her play as much in a game as she did when CD coached the team. That was during the conference games. Too late now. jmo.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
UConn has another three-point shooter but, she is not being used. Because she is tall everyone thinks she should be a post but she does not have a post mentality. She has a guard's mentality, and she plays very little.
I am guessing here but maybe because she doesn't have a post mentality is why she doesn't play more minutes. She has had two years to learn from Dorka, who will play in the post and outside. If she had that ability, we could have used it against Xavier.
But as I have stated before, we don't know what Geno's role for her really is.

Now back to the OP :):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That’s the thing, that could happen or not but the defense has to play her like it will which in itself opens things up.
This is so key and spot on. Other than about 20 total mins spread across two games, none of the BE teams have played against Azzi. And she did some serious damage in those 20 mins, not to mention what she did at the beginning of the season. Teams will have to respect her as a serious threat on O until she proves otherwise. Right now, teams are able to have their best guard defend Lou by face guarding and doubling her depending on where she gets the ball. Throw Azzi on the floor and you suddenly have two kids you need to stick to like glue. No doubling down on Lou, or on dorka and Aliyah in the paint- or you will get burned. I cannot think of a single team we could face in the next week that can defend Azzi, Lou, dorka, and Aliyah straight up without doubling. And if/when they double, throw in aubrey or Caroline, elite cutters with a nack for placing themselves in a position to get the ball in the paint and finish when they’re overlooked. And all of this is being conducted by maestro Nika…? THAT is a scary prospect that gives our offense exactly what it needs to punish other teams for leaving a man open. Azzi being on the floor will open the offense up for everyone else, and of course she can also absorb minutes that will keep others more rested, which could help cut down on thoughtless mistakes due to mental and physical fatigue.

The bigger question for me is where is Azzi on D. She will not be in full game shape regardless of when she returns, and who knows whether she will be mentally or physically limited due to the time off and any lingering issues with her knee. That’s my only “concern” with Azzi’s return- but to me that’s a challenge that can be overcome in pregame strategy. Put her on the worst offensive player or a spot up shooter she can run off the 3 point line. There’s ways to minimize exposure there.

This team has a lot to work on and improve if they want to survive the BET. But I don’t think a single one of our opponents is excited about the prospect of Azzi being back in the rotation, and there’s only so much that game tape can do to prepare you for playing a kid with her bball IQ and straight talent. If Azzi can play, we’re walking into Mohegan with a not so secret weapon that should, at a minimum, cause some serious mental gymnastics for opposing teams and coaches to contend with.

Reaction Score
This is so key and spot on. Other than about 20 total mins spread across two games, none of the BE teams have played against Azzi.
56 minutes against three teams (Providence, St. John's, and Georgetown).

Reaction Score
Olivia Miles will probably be back before Azzi is. No one will know until she is announced in the starting lineup of their next game.

Reaction Score
According to orthopedists, there are many knee injuries where a brace doesn't help at all.
I've heard that as well from orthos but there is a psychological value of stability and protection....

Reaction Score
I hope you don't mean Deberry because I have no idea where you got that she was a 3 pt shooter.
She certainly has the range. I think one background to that idea was earlier in the year when one of the male practice players during an interview of sorts was asked who the best shooter on the team was (based on practice / scrimmaging) and said, without hesitati0on, that it was Deberry. I don't think he lied, but how that translates to real game opportunity is another story. But, if he had to have a 3 in a desperation situation late in a game, you'd have to at least thinking about Deberry (unless she got a TO first)

Reaction Score
She certainly has the range. I think one background to that idea was earlier in the year when one of the male practice players during an interview of sorts was asked who the best shooter on the team was (based on practice / scrimmaging) and said, without hesitati0on, that it was Deberry. I don't think he lied, but how that translates to real game opportunity is another story. But, if he had to have a 3 in a desperation situation late in a game, you'd have to at least thinking about Deberry (unless she got a TO first)
You are reporting the conversation inaccurately. First of all, it was last season. Second, he was asked who would surprise us as a shooter, not who was best. A player would have to be insane to think that DeBerry was a better shooter than both Azzi and Paige.

Reaction Score
You are reporting the conversation inaccurately. First of all, it was last season. Second, he was asked who would surprise us as a shooter, not who was best. A player would have to be insane to think that DeBerry was a better shooter than both Azzi and Paige.
Got it, TY , but missing your point - her 'surprisingly good shooter status' is no less so this season. I'm a season ticket holder who watches her knocking down 3s regularly in pre-game. Unlike socal 613, I'm not an advocate of greater utilization of Deberry (based on her mixed, at best, in game performance). But sure, I might throw her out there if I needed a desperation 3. She is a tall target with 3 range and capability, who likely wouldn't be closely guarded at the perimeter.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
On a team with Azzi, Lou, and Amari, I can't believe that Amari would be considered a better shooter than the other 2, especially earlier in the season. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
On a team with Azzi, Lou, and Amari, I can't believe that Amari would be considered a better shooter than the other 2, especially earlier in the season. Just my opinion.
It would also be hard to believe that a 6-5 player that was a better shooter than Azzi or Lou couldn't manage to find significant playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom