A Geno tease on Azzi | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A Geno tease on Azzi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Before I posted I actually looked it up. I must have looked at 2021. I hate weaving through ESPN's menus to get to a box score.
I stand by my opinion on not starting Fudd though. UConn's lack of top outside shooting has been exposed to the rest of wcbb and UConn is getting a steady dose of clogged paint. There is no offensive flow to disrupt. Muhl and Griffin are not 3 pt answers. Fudd would make life so much easier for everyone else. Senechal would draw the opponent's second best perimeter defender.
The current starters currently include 3 players slated to be subs last summer. I have nothing but admiration for the jobs they are doing but Fudd is at another level.
All of you assume that as soon as Fudd and Bueckers return there are no lingering effects of two years being mostly injured, this after both had a history of injuries to varying degrees in HS. Further, IMO nothing of the kind has been exposed. Uconn has continued to get good shots, including inside chances, they are just not converting like they were earlier in the season. Would Fudd help them, of course, she is a terrific player, but let’s see her get on the court and perform after her injury problems before you talk about someone who has been forced to the sit more than she has played is at “another level.”

Reaction Score
All of you assume that as soon as Fudd and Bueckers return there are no lingering effects of two years being mostly injured, this after both had a history of injuries to varying degrees in HS. Further, IMO nothing of the kind has been exposed. Uconn has continued to get good shots, including inside chances, they are just not converting like they were earlier in the season. Would Fudd help them, of course, she is a terrific player, but let’s see her get on the court and perform after her injury problems before you talk about someone who has been forced to the sit more than she has played is at “another level.”

You can't assume that about anyone. Both players came back last year and except maybe for their stamina, were still the best shooters on the team. Was Miles coming off an injury when she went down? No. Players get injured all the time and yet some speculate as if no one will get hurt while others think of little else but what could go wrong. It's human nature.

Reaction Score
Well, no Azzi tonight against Xavier. I just don't think she'll play again this year. It's probably just as well for her long-term health. We'll go as far as we can in the tournament still.

Reaction Score
Tonight was great night. But not a productive night. And I know some might not like what I say. I think Azzi should have played tonight. Her team is killing themselves. And kinda got a little upset by her comments, I will play when I am ready. She could have played at least 5 minutes. But she needs to be able to play. All my opinion. And I am a big boy, can take some criticism. All have a great day. Another Big East title. 5 days until the conference tournament. We need all hands on deck. GO Huskies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Tonight was great night. But not a productive night. And I know some might not like what I say. I think Azzi should have played tonight. Her team is killing themselves. And kinda got a little upset by her comments, I will play when I am ready. She could have played at least 5 minutes. But she needs to be able to play. All my opinion. And I am a big boy, can take some criticism. All have a great day. Another Big East title. 5 days until the conference tournament. We need all hands on deck. GO Huskies.
Oh brother.

Reaction Score
You can't assume that about anyone.
Thanks for proving my point, on the one hand you say “you can’t assume that about anyone“ coming back from an injury, but on the other you had posted “Fudd would make life so much easier for everyone else” previously. In reality you have no idea what kind of player she will be when and if she comes back; which was exactly what I said in my reply to your post, “let’s see her get on the floor and perform before” you declare her to be on “another level”

Reaction Score
If that were the case why would they bother having her participate in warmups?
Hey, I hope I’m wrong and we get to see her play! But the amount of games left keeps dwindling, and she hasn’t played yet, clearly the effects of her injury whatever it is are more serious than anyone thought- guess I’ve just become pessimistic.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Again, she didn't actually say that (that we know of). That was Geno comparing Ducharme's situation to Fudd's in that they would know when they were ready when everything felt right. It wasn't a discourteous response to Geno asking them when they would be ready.

The reporter who tweeted this did a disservice to Fudd.

Reaction Score
Thanks for proving my point, on the one hand you say “you can’t assume that about anyone“ coming back from an injury, but on the other you had posted “Fudd would make life so much easier for everyone else” previously. In reality you have no idea what kind of player she will be when and if she comes back; which was exactly what I said in my reply to your post, “let’s see her get on the floor and perform before” you declare her to be on “another level”

This isn't a criminal trial. I decided on the bulk of the evidence. I don't claim infallibility. It's possible that both Bueckers and Fudd never play again anywhere. It's much more likely that they both go on to star in the Olympics.

Reaction Score
I doubt anyone on this board thinks Azzi (or Paige) are going to step on the floor and start averaging 25 her first game back. What we all think, is that with her, we have some chance of being what we were in at least some games earlier in the season. She (and to a lesser extent, Caroline) has the potential to reinvigorate this team and return us to our accustomed position of being feared again! Does that mean we automatically win? Obviously not, but it gives most of us some hope heading into the tournament! It’s still an uphill climb but hopefully not as steep!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I hope she plays in the BET as they need her and I think she needs to play for herself. It would be a huge lift and get them prepared for the NCAA's

Reaction Score
If we don't see Azzi back for a few minutes Saturday I wouldn't expect her back. Having said that I fully expect her back Saturday. Why all the prep if she/they know she can't play again this season? As to her impact, there should be no question that it will be a positive one.

Azzi has been shooting hundreds of shots a day over many years so I would doubt she hasn't done so (as soon as she was able) during this down time. So she won't need to find her shot again and we all know she can get a shot up in a split second with almost no space. She will remain an excellent ball handler as well. So, IMO, being in game shape will be the only real mountain to climb.

Her return and resultant impact on the chemistry/flow will be very different than last season with Paige's late season return. In that scenario the team was playing very fluidly with Nika as the point guard so the team had to adjust with Paige's reinsertion. Nika and Paige play the point very differntly so that was a considerable adjustment for everyone. That won't happen with Azzi's return. Nika will remain at point and the rotation will return/expand to what it was at the start of the season. Everyone's roles basically remain the same but their minutes will be reduced some. And lastly, unlike last season when the offense was in a good rhythm at the tim of Paige's return - it is unquestionably not at this time, so Azzi's reintroduction will be more of a reset than a change (and certainly not a disruption).

I don't think Azzi's late return will be anything but a positive. Some instant offense, a great outside threat, another great ball handler with great vision and ability to find her own shot, a very good defender a great foul shooter - what's not to like. Looking forward to her return as I'm sure she, the coaching staff and her teammates are as well. Let's finish at full strength and see where we end up!

Reaction Score
If we don't see Azzi back for a few minutes Saturday I wouldn't expect her back. Having said that I fully expect her back Saturday. Why all the prep if she/they know she can't play again this season? As to her impact, there should be no question that it will be a positive one.

Azzi has been shooting hundreds of shots a day over many years so I would doubt she hasn't done so (as soon as she was able) during this down time. So she won't need to find her shot again and we all know she can get a shot up in a split second with almost no space. She will remain an excellent ball handler as well. So, IMO, being in game shape will be the only real mountain to climb.

Her return and resultant impact on the chemistry/flow will be very different than last season with Paige's late season return. In that scenario the team was playing very fluidly with Nika as the point guard so the team had to adjust with Paige's reinsertion. Nika and Paige play the point very differntly so that was a considerable adjustment for everyone. That won't happen with Azzi's return. Nika will remain at point and the rotation will return/expand to what it was at the start of the season. Everyone's roles basically remain the same but their minutes will be reduced some. And lastly, unlike last season when the offense was in a good rhythm at the tim of Paige's return - it is unquestionably not at this time, so Azzi's reintroduction will be more of a reset than a change (and certainly not a disruption).

I don't think Azzi's late return will be anything but a positive. Some instant offense, a great outside threat, another great ball handler with great vision and ability to find her own shot, a very good defender a great foul shooter - what's not to like. Looking forward to her return as I'm sure she, the coaching staff and her teammates are as well. Let's finish at full strength and see where we end up!
Our half court offensive sets have become much to predictable and easier to defend. Azzi's ability to create her own offense will certainly have an important impact on the team's offensive flow.

Reaction Score
Our half court offensive sets have become much to predictable and easier to defend. Azzi's ability to create her own offense will certainly have an important impact on the team's offensive flow.

There's no other outside shooter except Lou, so until Azzi and Caroline are back and consistently hitting those shots, it's going to be predictable.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
With Azzi and Caroline back, one of them will most likely be on the floor with Lou or the two of them together with Lou on the bench. It will still open up the lane for Dorka, Aaliayah, Aubrey, and Annya to play more freely. Nika will just have a field day each game with double digit assists to the shooters behind the line and down low to the post area.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
UConn has another three-point shooter but, she is not being used. Because she is tall everyone thinks she should be a post but she does not have a post mentality. She has a guard's mentality, and she plays very little.

Reaction Score
I doubt anyone on this board thinks Azzi (or Paige) are going to step on the floor and start averaging 25 her first game back. What we all think, is that with her, we have some chance of being what we were in at least some games earlier in the season. She (and to a lesser extent, Caroline) has the potential to reinvigorate this team and return us to our accustomed position of being feared again! Does that mean we automatically win? Obviously not, but it gives most of us some hope heading into the tournament! It’s still an uphill climb but hopefully not as steep!
actually, if anybody could score 25 points in her first game back it would be Azzi Fudd......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom