A few post-game thoughts | The Boneyard

A few post-game thoughts

Reaction Score
I don't really know why I am reacting as negatively as I am. After all, UConn won, and handily. But in all, that was a most unsatisfying win. So a few thoughts, just my two cents' worth, if they are worth even that.

Especially after the first quarter, in which we were teased with some powerful basketball, it was painful to see them calm down in the second quarter and then fall to pieces in the second half. I did not think that in the second half there was any phase of the game in which UConn looked good.

Granted, Stanford is not going to be as bad in the second half, because their coach, who is a very good coach, won't allow it. But UConn came out with nearly nothing. There were no plays, except individual ones. Players passed because they had to, not because they had an idea of what to do. Stanford made adjustments and UConn could not adapt to them. And more than once, Stanford got their bigs up against UConn's not-so-bigs and made them pay. Like team offense, team defense went out the window.

Speaking of having a clue, the last five minutes, with the rookies in there, was a demonstration of clueless basketball.

As many remarked in the game thread, there will be plenty for Geno to work on. Amen to that. It will be very interesting to see what UConn is like against two other California teams next on the schedule.

Reaction Score
I don't really know why I am reacting as negatively as I am. After all, UConn won, and handily. But in all, that was a most unsatisfying win. So a few thoughts, just my two cents' worth, if they are worth even that.

Especially after the first quarter, in which we were teased with some powerful basketball, it was painful to see them calm down in the second quarter and then fall to pieces in the second half. I did not think that in the second half there was any phase of the game in which UConn looked good.

Granted, Stanford is not going to be as bad in the second half, because their coach, who is a very good coach, won't allow it. But UConn came out with nearly nothing. There were no plays, except individual ones. Players passed because they had to, not because they had an idea of what to do. Stanford made adjustments and UConn could not adapt to them. And more than once, Stanford got their bigs up against UConn's not-so-bigs and made them pay. Like team offense, team defense went out the window.

Speaking of having a clue, the last five minutes, with the rookies in there, was a demonstration of clueless basketball.

As many remarked in the game thread, there will be plenty for Geno to work on. Amen to that. It will be very interesting to see what UConn is like against two other California teams next on the schedule.

Don't be surprised at how you feel, TC. This game was a disappointment for many of us. I couldn't believe that UConn was unable to get the ball inside. Also that Napheesa vanished from the interior and sat outside. Why? Way too many 3s hoisted up (Collier took 3 of her 9 shots from 3-land). Outrebounded? Outscored in second half? Missing bunnies and foul shots? Who are these guys? Playing half a game is enough? Don't think so. Geno should be frying some butts this week. (Lou and Danger were terrific, Gabby good, Kia absent.) Stinker.

Reaction Score
Geno said in a taped interview at halftime that physically this team is far beyond where last year's team was at this time. (Remember how FSU just missed the game winning shot?)
good enough for me.

It's a game, not (say) a ballet performance where there is a presumed aesthetic level that must be attained. In ballet, you are only trying to keep your balance and your timing. In sports, there is someone trying to stop you from doing this. Give the other guy some credit. I'm delighted with what I saw.

Reaction Score
Agree with the first two posts. Like I stated in the game thread it felt like most of the second half was mailed in by the team. Most of the fourth quarter was bonus practice time for some of the freshman and bench players.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Let's remember that Geno said UConn would have some early growing pains with their offense. It showed in the half court offense. It showed in their inability to control the flow of play and pace in the 2nd half. Also Collier played almost as she had in the MSS game, and the team missed foul shots as they did in that game as well. Let's not mention the many missed layups.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hard to know what if anything can be taken away from this game. Complete blowout early on based mostly off of turnovers. Some due to tough defense and active hands, some just terrible passes that should've never been thrown. Stanford was horrendous in the 1st half. Righted the ship in the 2nd half. Way too little too late but they chipped away at the lead.

Dangerfield and Samuelson looked really good. Williams was solid but not dominant. Collier and Nurse were quiet, Stevens had her moments but didn't have a great debut, and the rest of the bench was non-existent.

Stanford at least corrected the defensive rebounding problems from their first game. After giving up 28 O boards against tOSU they only allowed 7 to UConn. Mavunga from the Buckeyes had more rebounds against Stanford than all of the UConn starters grabbed combined! Carrington was spectacular in the 2nd half.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Lou said in the post-game interview they missed layups because they don't have their legs yet. The team played tough defense - it's very fatiguing and that caused short shots. Give it a few games.

Reaction Score
Oh jeez, is any other team in any other sport subjected to such judgment? They had a blowout win against a very good, not great, young team. It was the first game, so some nerves at times, and it was against a coach whom Geno respects, so, not only is he rotating players, he's not coaching up his team when they're making mistakes. It's a game. UConn won big. Next game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't really know why I am reacting as negatively as I am.
I don't know either, and I think you are making a commom mistake, equating shooting poorly (UCONN shot 40 %) with playing poorly. UCONN missed a ton of open shots today and free throws, overall the execution to get the right person the right shots in thier sweet spots was very good. Defensively the team was brilliant in the first half, very hard to sustain that kind of intensity for 2 halves and why bother. Is it just me, can't anyone else see the beauty of holding the #10 team in the country to 1 FG in the 2nd quarter? In what universe can this be considered a poor game for UCONN?

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The second half imo was experimental. Alot of different matchups. The pressure was gone to save embarrassment which was the right thing to do. The non starters got alot of playtime in the second half. Collier had 4 fouls. There is alot to work on the second half exposed it.

The first half with 6/7 players seeing action was devastating for Stanford. It wouldve been for most teams. The scary thing about this team is they will get better and alot better as a team. We missed alot of layups and alot of foul shots. I kinda expected the second half as we know Geno is trying to find out where everybody is and what they have to work on. This was a wake up for some of the underclassman. The first half looked easy, the second half was a wake up call. Over all I expect to see bits and pieces of improvement over the next two games (Cal and MD) and then a different team at UCLA which should be a really good game.

Reaction Score
Only UConn fans can watch their team whip Stanford by 25 in a season opener, a time when defense is always ahead of offense, and at a time when developing chemistry on the floor is in its infant stages, and call it "most unsatisfying." What a luxury!! Man the lifeboats!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I certainly would have liked to have seen a better 2nd half from the Huskies, here are a few random thoughts for what it's worth.
  • The Husky defense in the 1st half was as good as I've seen in a very long time.
  • Stanford's defense played up under Lou, Pheesa & Kia to take away the 3. Lou did hit a couple 3's but really made Stanford pay by taking the ball to the basket.
  • On the other hand, Stanford picked their poison by laying off Danger & Gabby. Gabby hit a couple nice jumpers, and played her usual solid game. Danger absolutely killed Stanford from way down town.
  • While I love Z's versatility, I want to see her play stronger around the basket. I think that will come in time.
  • Geno tried some unusual rotations in the 2nd half, particularly Gabby, Danger, Kia, Molly & MW vs Stanford's starters
This team will play a whole lot better in the games vs Cal & the Turtles next weekend.....a truly scary thought for the rest of WBB.

Reaction Score
For me, this was a terrific outing. You must take the bad with the good right now. It is satisfying to know that the next effort will be better as will the one after that. It is this growth and development that will be satisfying to watch. Also a 9 game win streak to start the season will garner more than a little buzz.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
25 point margin in first game against a well coached opponent. First half defense out of this world. New kids got a chance on a big stage. Just stop and think that they are all going to get better. I am overjoyed and cannot wait for the next show!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score

It's the first game of the season, geez!! Your team wins by 30 against a Top 10 opponent and you're still nitpicking!! Hard to please, much!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Some people need to relax a bit. This UConn team is still a work in progress. The defensive effort will improved to the full 40 minutes. Stanford was forced into 22 turnovers and we had 13 steals. Very good for us. Rebounding will get better. Stanford is a decent rebounding team. 47 - 40 edge in boards for Stanford is not big.

Offensively, you have a new starting 5 and a new sub pattern. These things take time to smooth out. Some sets were good and others were not. Kia and Pheesa had off games. It happens. Z is still new to all this. Patience people, patience.

HGN

Reaction Score
Oh jeez, is any other team in any other sport subjected to such judgment? They had a blowout win against a very good, not great, young team. It was the first game, so some nerves at times, and it was against a coach whom Geno respects, so, not only is he rotating players, he's not coaching up his team when they're making mistakes. It's a game. UConn won big. Next game.
I couldn't agree more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom