A few post-game thoughts | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A few post-game thoughts

Reaction Score
The Cassandra voices on this thread seem not to be aware of a few basic statistical facts about Sunday’s game. The most important one was that for the first 7:20 of the third quarter (the period of time when the “first 7” played without the end-of-the-bench players), UConn outscored Stanford by 18-11. That got the score to 67-25 with 2:40 left in the 3rd quarter — a 42-point lead. After that, the scoreboard really didn’t matter.

It’s true that even those first 7 minutes of the third quarter, particularly on defense, were not as pretty as the first half — how could they be? Considering who the opponent was, the first half ranks with the great halves in recent UConn history, certainly comparable to the first half against DePaul or South Florida last year. In the third quarter, UConn did have some defensive lapses and gave up some backdoor plays. I assume that relates to whatever defensive adjustment Geno decided to make at halftime, and the fact that they didn’t implement it as he envisioned. That will get fixed.

UConn “lost” the third quarter by one point, which means that in the last 2:40 Stanford cut 8 points off the lead. But considering that the lead was then 42 points, is that really worth being concerned about? UConn lost the 4th quarter by 9 points with the bench players getting most of the time. That means that by the end of the game, they had given back 10 points of the 35 point halftime lead. That hardly seems like a good reason for the kind of handwringing that has been offered by some of the posters on this thread.
Yeah, that's what I meant to say in my reply. Nice work!!!

Reaction Score
Thanks for your thoughts; I'm certainly not looking to disparage the team, just expressing my opinion of what I saw. As Juliet says in R&J when she's asked to look favorably on a suitor (not Romeo): "I'll look to like, if looking liking prove." I, too, look to like what UConn does--actually to LOVE what the Huskies do. After my post yesterday it also occurred to me that these late game lapses were a factor last year--with the excuse that the subs were subpar then. Geno spoke often about finishing off teams. I hope it's something the team learns to do, so fans can leave savoring not only a victory but also the quality of play--throughout the game.

It looks like in your scenario Juliet is going to be old maid in which only a fantasy will totally please her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn is continuing its run at No. 1 in The Associated Press women's basketball Top 25.

The Huskies (1-0) routed then-No. 10 Stanford in their season opener Sunday. UConn once again received all 32 votes from the national media panel Monday.

UConn was followed by Texas, Baylor and South Carolina. The top four teams were unchanged as they went 5-0, winning by an average of nearly 47 points.

Notre Dame is conspicuously absent here, but notice that these SAME 4 schools have been in the top 8 for the last 4-5 years. That's consistency.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog
Top Bottom