a few conference tournaments still going on | Page 2 | The Boneyard

a few conference tournaments still going on

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'm sure it makes financial sense, but it is odd to me to have a conference tournament at one of the schools.

Marquette has a great crowd at this game and I think it is making a difference.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Schulte has had a nightmare of a shooting game after a few early buckets. And she went 1-of-4 on free throws in the 4th quarter. Grant and January also went MIA in the second half. That just killed DePaul in this game.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Marquette is a young team with a young coach. Good for Carolyn Kreiger. Congrats to her. She was feisty player.

Marquette is one of the few teams who have a win over Oregon State!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Glad that marquette won.

Blue Devils > Blue Demons

Plebe

Reaction Score
Glad that marquette won.

Blue Devils > Blue Demons
Oh really?
DePaul Shocks Duke in Women's Hoops, Advances to Third Sweet 16
extralarge.jpg

Plebe

Reaction Score
Marquette has been a really odd team this year. Exciting, but odd.

They have beaten every "ranked" team they've faced this year (ranked in top 25 at time of game):
  • Beat Oregon State in Corvallis.
  • Won at home vs. Arizona State.
  • Beat DePaul three times, twice at home and once at DePaul.
But they have also:
  • Lost twice to Creighton.
  • Lost twice to St. John's.
  • Lost at Providence (a very bad loss).
  • Lost on neutral court to Santa Clara (another bad loss).

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm sure it makes financial sense, but it is odd to me to have a conference tournament at one of the schools.

Marquette has a great crowd at this game and I think it is making a difference.

Even more surprising than the hosting thing to me is the fact that Marquette plays in a gym that only fits 3,700.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Even more surprising than the hosting thing to me is the fact that Marquette plays in a gym that only fits 3,700.

DePaul hosted the Big East tourney last year and their gym only seats 3,000. I've been a few times and it's quite cramped but the atmosphere is awesome in a small arena like that when it's packed.

I'll miss that little arena next year when they move into their new 10,000 seat arena and it's mostly empty. But hey, any time you can spend $100 million in public money (in city where public schools are in a constant budget crisis) so that a terrible men's basketball program can get a new arena in a completely different part of the city from where their campus is, you gotta do it.

Plebe

Reaction Score
DePaul hosted the Big East tourney last year and their gym only seats 3,000. I've been a few times and it's quite cramped but the atmosphere is awesome in a small arena like that when it's packed.

I'll miss that little arena next year when they move into their new 10,000 seat arena and it's mostly empty. But hey, any time you can spend $100 million in public money (in city where public schools are in a constant budget crisis) so that a terrible men's basketball program can get a new arena in a completely different part of the city from where their campus is, you gotta do it.
Will the women's team also move to the new arena?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Will the women's team also move to the new arena?

Yes. I mentioned the men because part of the impetus for the new arena was so that the men didn't have to play in the surburbs at Allstate Arena (also home to the Sky) as the on-campus arena was too small for them.

The current arena is the right size for the women. It sells out for ND or UConn but otherwise they are in the 2000-2500 attendance range.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The UNLV Lady Rebels just knocked off Utah State by 25 in the Mountain West Tournament in Las Vegas tonight. Next up, Fresno State. :)

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yes. I mentioned the men because part of the impetus for the new arena was so that the men didn't have to play in the surburbs at Allstate Arena (also home to the Sky) as the on-campus arena was too small for them.

The current arena is the right size for the women. It sells out for ND or UConn but otherwise they are in the 2000-2500 attendance range.
It's probably seen by some as a gender-equity problem to have women play in much smaller arenas than men. In a way it's nice when the women's team gets to use the premiere arena, but it's also nice to play in an arena that's proportionate to the fan interest. A bit of a dilemma ...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Drake is in a dog fight in their opening game of the MVC. Any team on the bubble better pray that Drake wins the conference tourney.

Western Michigan..... which came from 5-7 points down in the final minute of the opening round game to stun top seeded Central Michigan...... got slammed in the second round by Northern Illinois ( the midwest huskies). This often happens in these tournaments... both in the conference and in the NCAAs. A real low seed knocks off the top seed... then gets hammered in the next round.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Drake is in a dog fight in their opening game of the MVC. Any team on the bubble better pray that Drake wins the conference tourney.

Drake ranks 7th in the country in scoring at 84 points a game. Yet in this game they scored only 20 points in the first half. Yeesh.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Lots of Finals and semi-finals today. Unfortunately the one game I wanted to see the most isnt on the ESPN Networks. Elon and James Madison play in the Colonial Final tonight at 7pm ..... on JMU's home court. Pulling for Bethune-Cookman in the MEAC final.... it would be good to see a different team emerge as the conference champ..... cant recall if BC has ever made the tourney or not.

Reaction Score
TODAY

IVY : #4 Brown v #1 Penn / #3 Harvard v #2 Princeton
MAC : #6 Toledo v #4 No Illinois
STLD: #6 TAMU-CC v #1 C Arkansas / #4 Stephen F Austin v #3 Lamar
BGSO: #5 Charl So v #1 Radford / #7 UNC-Asheville v #6 Presbyterian
MVC : #5 Wichita St v #1 Drake / #6 Evansville v #2 No Iowa
MEAC: #3 Hampton v #1 Bethune-C
SWAC: #1 Texas So v #2 Grambling
SKY : #6 Idaho St v #1 Montana St
CUSA: #3 So Miss v #1 W Kentucky
SUNB: #5 LA Lafayette v #1 UALR / #3 Troy v #2 UT-Arlington
WAC : #3 Seattle v #1 New Mexico St
BGW : #4 UCSB v #2 Long Beach St
CAA : #2 James Madison v #1 Elon

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Lots of Finals and semi-finals today. Unfortunately the one game I wanted to see the most isnt on the ESPN Networks. Elon and James Madison play in the Colonial Final tonight at 7pm ..... on JMU's home court. Pulling for Bethune-Cookman in the MEAC final.... it would be good to see a different team emerge as the conference champ..... cant recall if BC has ever made the tourney or not.
Yes! Elon won the regular season championship and is now playing for its first CAA tourney championship. Go Phoenix!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes! Elon won the regular season championship and is now playing for its first CAA tourney championship. Go Phoenix!

I looked on Elon's site and found that the Colonial will be providing a live videostream for the game. I was gonna go to the gym this evening..... but I'll skip the weights and will fry up some chicken wings and watch the Phoenix instead. :cool:

I wish it was at a neutral site instead of on JMU's campus.... but Harrisonburg is close enough to the Triad that Elon fans can drive up to the game and support them.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I looked on Elon's site and found that the Colonial will be providing a live videostream for the game. I was gonna go to the gym this evening..... but I'll skip the weights and will fry up some chicken wings and watch the Phoenix instead. :cool:

I wish it was at a neutral site instead of on JMU's campus.... but Harrisonburg is close enough to the Triad that Elon fans can drive up to the game and support them.
Have the Fighting Christians been getting good fan support this season?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
March is such an unproductive month :oops: ..... Need to do some errands and go to the grocery store and Arbys...... but also need to watch the end of the MEAC (Mens) Final.... and the MEAC women and SWAC women start at 3pm ... Then the Elon women at 7pm.... and the ACC Men start at 9pm...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom