A couple of post-OK game thoughts | The Boneyard

A couple of post-OK game thoughts

Reaction Score
Please humor me. I had to watch -- not listen to, but watch -- the game at a local sports bar. Luckily I found one where the clientele were harmless, unlike the last sports bar I found for a game. But that's another story, as they say.

So tonight, focusing on watching, not listening, a couple of observations:

Gabby is a wonderful player, but seems to be more part of the ensemble than she was last year, when she absolutely stood out. She's still probably the most athletic player in WCBB, but she does not seem as spectacular now.

I've always admired Katie Lou's play, but generally thought that in past games I've watched, she was not the star. Not tonight. She was wonderful, whether shooting 3s, driving to the basket or grabbing rebounds. Nobody did it better.

Oklahoma is better than their record, by a lot, in my opinion. While the did not have the horses to stay with UConn for the whole game, they did a number of things on offense that UConn, at least initially, did not have answers for. They have decent size and certainly can get physical. Anyway, they should be OK in league play.

Is anyone else really happy with the short amount of time it has taken for Azura to become absolutely reliable? She does lots of nice things around the basket, knows how to work the high-low and even makes a three once in a while.

Some or all of these probably were discussed in the game thread. But I have found that I cannot do the game thread and the game at the same time, at least not when the instrument for communicating is a phone. So, as I said, please forgive what may be repetition, and take these thoughts for whatever they're worth.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It was kind of a strange game for Katie Lou. Started out red hot, looked like she might be on her way to another 10-10 behind the arc kind of performance. But then she went ice cold, couldn't hit anything, including free throws, in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. Well into the 4th quarter she had a flurry where she scored 7 points in about a minute. So...she played great during a couple of short stretches, but not so much in between.

Stevens and Collier really stood out to me. Nurse had a strong 2nd half.

I consider Stevens as really a 6th starter, so w/ Walker unavailable UConn officially has no bench. Nobody else entered the game til there were 90 seconds left, and Samuelson and Nurse both logged 39 minutes.

Reaction Score
Please humor me. I had to watch -- not listen to, but watch -- the game at a local sports bar. Luckily I found on where the clientele were harmless, unlike the last sports bar I found for a game. But that's another story, as they say.

So tonight, focusing on watching, not listening, a couple of observations:

Gabby is a wonderful player, but seems to be more part of the ensemble than she was last year, when she absolutely stood out. She's still probably the most athletic player in WCBB, but she does not seem as spectacular now.

I've always admired Katie Lou's play, but generally thought that in past games I've watched, she was not the star. Not tonight. She was wonderful, whether shooting 3s, driving to the basket or grabbing rebounds. Nobody did it better.

Oklahoma is better than their record, by a lot, in my opinion. While the did not have the horses to stay with UConn for the whole game, they did a number of things on offense that UConn, at least initially, did not have answers for. They have decent size and certainly can get physical. Anyway, they should be OK in league play.

Is anyone else really happy with the short amount of time it has taken for Azura to become absolutely reliable? She does lots of nice things around the basket, knows how to work the high-low and even makes a three once in a while.

Some or all of these probably were discussed in the game thread. But I have found that I cannot do the game thread and the game at the same time, at least not when the instrument for communicating is a phone. So, as I said, please forgive what may be repetition, and take these thoughts for whatever they're worth.

Reliable? Stevens is the BEST player on the team right now! The scary thing is, she is only going to get better as she continues to get comfortable in the UConn offense. She has the potential to completely dominate games at times.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Samuelson had some defensive problems in the first half. Manning was giving her a tough time. She did play better in the fourth quarter.

Reaction Score
Ah, folks.
Geno is the second basketball coach ever to win 1000 wines at the same school.

Say that 1000 times and then pick apart the play and players

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Reliable? Stevens is the BEST player on the team right now! The scary thing is, she is only going to get better as she continues to get comfortable in the UConn offense. She has the potential to completely dominate games at times.
I disagree. I think Lou is. I realize I won't convince you otherwise and that's not the point of my post. As much as Stevens does that others can't because of her height, she doesn't have the complete game Lou does. There are long stretches of games where Lou is everywhere on the court - offense, defense, you name it. I think Z has the potential to be the best of the bunch, but as of right now, IMHO Lou is #1. IMHO Danger is #2 and very close behind is Z.

Truthfully, how fantastic is it that we are so blessed as to be able to even have these discussions? On any given night, any one of our core 6 could be the POG...

Reaction Score
I realize I'm preaching to the congregation here, but All-American players should be picked by name not school!
KLS, Gabby (even sick & hurt), Azura, Nurse, Crystal Dangerfield, & Collier are the best at their positions in Division I and it's not even close!
All 6 should be named 1st team AA's but 2 will get in on AP AA team and 3 will make the WBCA AA top 10!
When they're really on, their better than 20% of the WNBA players! IMHO! JUST SAYING!

Reaction Score
I disagree. I think Lou is. I realize I won't convince you otherwise and that's not the point of my post. As much as Stevens does that others can't because of her height, she doesn't have the complete game Lou does. There are long stretches of games where Lou is everywhere on the court - offense, defense, you name it. I think Z has the potential to be the best of the bunch, but as of right now, IMHO Lou is #1. IMHO Danger is #2 and very close behind is Z.

Truthfully, how fantastic is it that we are so blessed as to be able to even have these discussions? On any given night, any one of our core 6 could be the POG...

Kia hasn't graduated yet. Seriously, we all have our favorites but if we include defensive prowess, Kia has to be in the conversation. I believe she's the best defensive player on the team and this should count for something. I know there are others on this board who agree with me. She'll be missed big time next year for a lot of reasons but her steadiness and ability to calm the team down in the midst of chaos will be at the top of the list.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Oklahoma came to play. Sherri had her team well prepared. There is some legit talent on the team. They played aggressive ball which got them into foul trouble in the second half. They have to good scorers who had big problems tonight. Manning was shut out in the second half. Ortiz was held to 11 points - well below her average. Pellington and Pierre-Louis were solid but not enough. But the old adage holds - you are what your record says you are.

UConn is still coming together offensively. Don't forget there was a 10 day layoff. Some stuff was rusty. Roles have changed a bit with the addition of Z and Megan. For all those complaining during the game, it was a 24 point win. 4 players scored double figures led by Pheesa, who also had 9 boards. 24 assists were handed out. A very balanced and workman like win.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Kia hasn't graduated yet. Seriously, we all have our favorites but if we include defensive prowess, Kia has to be in the conversation. I believe she's the best defensive player on the team and this should count for something. I know there are others on this board who agree with me. She'll be missed big time next year for a lot of reasons but her steadiness and ability to calm the team down in the midst of chaos will be at the top of the list.
The strange thing about what you say about Nurse is that she struggled at the beginning of last season because she did not want that responsibility. The responsibility of leading the team and calming it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Just back from the game.
I sat upstairs in the corner, perfect view of the court; great arena to see a game.

I thought it was a strange game, in a slightly strange season.
UConn let Sherri's team hang around. Like other teams this season, they weren't intimidated and possessed decent skills, fought and hung around. In the 3rd quarter they did more than that and fought back to -7 and the thought started seeping around the arena that UConn could actually lose and spoil the party.
At that point, Geno took put a slightly rattled Dangerfield and order was restored.

Although it probably hardly shows in the box (wrong 10 rebounds, 8 assists)...Gabby's fight and intensity was the difference. She willed the team to perform and they started to.

At the end of the 3rd and through much of the 4th, the teams passing and patience brought makable shots in the paint and some beautiful BB ensued.

So why the lapses? Why the lack of a killer instinct?
Hard to say, but I'll take a crack...Pheesa still loses concentration on D (esp 1st quarter) and lets her man escape for an easy shot. For a lot of the game Nurse disappeared on O. One problem for Z: as the ball sails around the perimeter; it takes her a bit longer to figure out what to do with the ball than the others...and the O grinds to a halt. But not when she's the recipient of a pass in her scoring zone.

Looking at what I just wrote above...that's not it...Those things happened but the essence is simpler.

What it is is this team is just a bit soft, has trouble playing with the kind of purpose and intensity we're used to.
Expects to win and surprised when other teams don't role over.
Well, they're not going to. You can finesse all you like but the opponents will punch you in the mouth (like what happened to Gabby today)...
The Huskies have to find their inner toughness
Everyone's going to come after them.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm tired of picking apart this team whenever they fail to live up to our expectations. Sick and. This was a good game against a good team. No player is perfect, no team is perfect, no coach is perfect. UConn will come back strong next game. I love watching this team no matter how they play, and I think we fans should be well satisfied with a 24 point win. On to another early season game.

Congratulations to CD and Geno. I'm amazed at their historic accomplishment and that is my focus today. His and CD's greatness is unequaled in CBB. The entire state of Connecticut should be as proud as I.

Reaction Score

I probably won't convince you, but over the past 4 games for Stevens and 3 for Samuelson(she was hurt) here are their stats.

Stevens is shooting 71% and averaging 17.5pts, 9.75rbs, 3.75ast in 26min/gm
Samuelson is shooting 49% and averaging 19pts, 4.67rbs, 3.34ast in 32.34min/game

Reaction Score
Figures this outlook would come from a Canadian Lynx.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I would listen, with rapt attention, to this guy reading a dictionary.

He's just that good when the camera's on.

God Bless him and his players.

Reaction Score
I realize I'm preaching to the congregation here, but All-American players should be picked by name not school!
KLS, Gabby (even sick & hurt), Azura, Nurse, Crystal Dangerfield, & Collier are the best at their positions in Division I and it's not even close!
All 6 should be named 1st team AA's but 2 will get in on AP AA team and 3 will make the WBCA AA top 10!
When they're really on, their better than 20% of the WNBA players! IMHO! JUST SAYING!

At their best they are all capable of being All Americans but frankly at this point in the season if you simply went by quality of play, I'm not sure that any of UConn's players would be first team AA's, not even sure about second team..........I'm confident that will change as the season progresses.........we tend to be so UConn focused that we forget there are many other teams with players that are playing at an equal or higher level right now........

Reaction Score
I'm tired of picking apart this team whenever they fail to live up to our expectations. Sick and. This was a good game against a good team. No player is perfect, no team is perfect, no coach is perfect. UConn will come back strong next game. I love watching this team no matter how they play, and I think we fans should be well satisfied with a 24 point win. On to another early season game.

Congratulations to CD and Geno. I'm amazed at their historic accomplishment and that is my focus today. His and CD's greatness is unequaled in CBB. The entire state of Connecticut should be as proud as I.

like-this-hi.png

Did I say I like this?.....well said Jordy

Reaction Score
We are so spoiled... a 24 point win is... Well, a 24 POINT WIN. And the 1000th for Geno and CD. We should be proud of our team and players...and let Geno and staff take care of the nit noid things to fix.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My thoughts, in no particular order:

First, Oklahoma was really good last night. They brought great intensity on offense and were plucky as hell on the defensive end. For they better part of three quarters, they gave UConn a real game, until foul trouble, conditioning, and a strong finish by the Huskies finally got the better of them. It was great fun to watch, and they should be very proud of their effort.

Second, the Huskies' offense continues to struggle when the opposing defense requires them to play off the dribble instead of off the pass. That's exactly how MSU beat us last year, and while we are getting better in this area, further practice and improvement is needed.

Although there are lapses in consistency with this team, this is the second game in a row that the Huskies were able to overcome mid-game adversity and clamp down on their opponents to overwhelm them at the end for a win. That's big!

Kia Nurse is an absolute rock star on defense!

The post game festivities were great. Props to CBS Sports for their coverage.

Reaction Score
I probably won't convince you, but over the past 4 games for Stevens and 3 for Samuelson(she was hurt) here are their stats.

Stevens is shooting 71% and averaging 17.5pts, 9.75rbs, 3.75ast in 26min/gm
Samuelson is shooting 49% and averaging 19pts, 4.67rbs, 3.34ast in 32.34min/game

I'm not getting into any debates yet who is best - who is a/a etc-- but I've seen in past and what you are posting now is a comparison of using fg% as a barometer between 1 player vs another. You can't do that. A 3pt shooter that goes 2-5 from three scores 6 points. To equal that from two you have to go 3-5 shooting 60%. Lou's efg% is actually 59.76%.

Reaction Score
I was at the game. Third row sideline seat near the basket (Behind the OK bench, which was interesting. They came with about 20 fans) Havent watched the replay, so a few observations.
OK was very physical. I was astounded by how many non-calls I saw in the paint. L-P (#0) especially repeatedly plowed over players. It seemed as if the refs were only calling arm fouls. This was a huge disadvantage to Gabby as she picked up fouls with her arms akimbo style (some legit and some questionable) L-P, meanwhile simply pushed over people and often got away with it. I thought she could have gotten twice the fouls.
I thought it was a learning experience for the defense as they had difficulties at times. Funny how your perception can be at odds with reality - I thought the offense had issues, but the numbers dont look bad.
Overall, I thought the team in this game looked like what we expected last year. They just dont have the flow and crispness that surprised many last year. Yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom