A Confident Walker | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Confident Walker

Reaction Score
I clearly was one of the so-called nay sayers. While I don't appreciate the characterization, I hope and expect she has a good soph jump. What I don't expect is the rah rah, hoopla, AÀ play, at least this year.
I'm absolutely sure she worked her butt off and will continue to do so, to either ensure she reaches close to the level expected of her or to hold off CW and Ono.
Of course, I am pleased like almost every one here about Geno's positive comments about MW and the changes he sees. I still want to see it game in and game out with meaningful contributions. Again as I've said way too many times already, she's being handed her crown because she was the top player in HS.
If she's as good as most of you anticipate, this will be a very, very strong team from early on. I think they can be that even with a more reasonable, but noticeable improvement. I sure hope she starts and plays during most if not all of the meaningful minutes, as we lost three of our top six players.
Next year we lose two AÀ and amongst the best players in the country. This year must prepare her to take their mantles next year.
Bronx23

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Old but worth to read again... just love those 2 sisters

Man I love this! First, I love the whole generational thing with Pheesa working with (passing the baton to) Meg. Second, we all hoped that Meg would have a big "sophomore jump." She sure looks like she's doing all the right things. Finally, spending the summer training together builds chemistry. All good things.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is not a coronation. This is about potential catching up to performance. Some of us have always thought that would happen in her sophomore year.

We can only hope. I do think CW will have a better frosh year than MW did.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While discussion on the BY of MW’s up and down play on the court as a freshman was certainly warranted, far too much speculation as to her “state of mind” was also made.

The speculation that MW might transfer was completely out of bounds and frankly was a great disservice to a young lady that appears to have a strong work ethic and a deep competitive drive.

We are now hearing some similar comments about MW as we heard prior to last season relative to Crystal. I for one can’t wait to see the 2018-2019 version of MW.

Reaction Score
I always felt that the root cause of Megan's challenges last season was primarily one of a mindset that, for whatever reason, was creating certain problems of fit within Geno's system. By all accounts, that's now been overcome, and I think we're going to see the full extent of her talent unleashed this year. I also think the time she spent with Napheesa and her skills trainer this summer are going to make a world of difference. Can't wait to see Megan in games come November.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We can only hope. I do think CW will have a better frosh year than MW did.

she better and she will because she's a more consistent shooter and she's going to most likely get big minutes...........I complained all of last season that MW wasn't getting enough playing time to become a more consistent player.............Geno viewed it the opposite way .............next season he has no choice but to play her and in turn she's working hard in anticipation of that..........I expect 12-15 points per game and 5-7 rebounds per game from Walker next season which at least statistically should help to ease the loss of Kia or Gabby.......

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bumped into Megan Walker going into the Aces game today.
Hope you didn't hurt her. Geez, can't figure out why walking is so hard.

:rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In terms of Stewie taking A’ja Wilson’s lunch money, I can’t understand how Breanna is still so thin, because she took a lot of lunch money over her career. :)
Here's where all the lunch money went.

30086496_1240099066120157_6616814676208517120_n.jpg

Reaction Score
she better and she will because she's a more consistent shooter and she's going to most likely get big minutes......I complained all of last season that MW wasn't getting enough playing time to become a more consistent player...Geno viewed it the opposite way ...next season he has no choice but to play her and in turn she's working hard in anticipation of that.....I expect 12-15 points per game and 5-7 rebounds per game from Walker next season which at least statistically should help to ease the loss of Kia or Gabby..

Sounds reasonable.

Expect KLS to be a more dominate player and actually take it to other teams attacking. She must impose her will and be the first and second option. The rest of the team can fit how they fit.

We are winning this year with the KLS show.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
upload_2018-7-16_15-9-30.png

1984 Maserati Bi-turbo coupe, identical to the one I owned for three years. Loved it but it didn't love me back. Put 3,000 miles on it and spent $5,500 on repairs. The newer ones are much, much better mechanically.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not going to classify anyone as a true fan, troll, or whatever, but there were posters who said Megan would or should transfer. I was not one of them. I was disappointed in her freshman year, but Meg admits that she was too. She may not be Maya or Stewie, but she has more potential than she showed. I look for a big leap this year and continued growth from Meg. I'm very happy that she chose UConn.
Agree. More than that, there were NUMEROUS posters on here (and I'm sure even more posts were deleted) going ON and ON and ON about how "Geno treated the freshmen". As if his M.O. was something new...

I'll be curious how each of them does this year (Meghan and Mikayla - no one seemed to complain about how Geno treated Lexi). From all we've read, Meghan is poised for a major sophomore leap. Mikayla is still working her way back from the health issue (DVT) and while she may be "ready" to go in October, we should temper our expectations. After all, look how long it took one of the greatest PG's ever at UCONN to recover from her injuries (Moriah). Gotta give Mikayla some time.

My point is, neither left. Not only goes Geno "apparently" know what he's doing, but both kids seem to be in a great place moving forward, and I think we can expect good to great things from them.

I, for one, will remember this whole scenario to help remind anyone who has a brain lapse the next time a similar mass-hysteria/meltdown situation regarding one of our talented freshmen arises.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Maybe.... let’s see a few game minutes before we crown anyone.

Remember what Denny Green said about "crowning 'em". They are who we thought they were.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Sounds reasonable.

Expect KLS to be a more dominate player and actually take it to other teams attacking. She must impose her will and be the first and second option. The rest of the team can fit how they fit.

We are winning this year with the KLS show.
No, no no no no! With all the talent on the team, why would you want one player to be the first and second option? What happens when she gets shut down or is in foul trouble? First option, maybe, but not first and second. Believe me, KLS may wind up being the third best player on this season's team and not because she does not play extremely well. AA well. However, there may be two who play even better. UConn may very well have four AA this season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I, for one, will remember this whole scenario to help remind anyone who has a brain lapse the next time a similar mass-hysteria/meltdown situation regarding one of our talented freshmen arises.
While I wholeheartedly agree with your view, my experience is that people have short memories. So be prepared to remind the negative Nellies the first time CW or ONO have a hiccup during their freshman season.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
You guys are burying the lead. Geno believes--and, ultimately, that's the only opinion that matters--a transition is on the horizon: "We have seen a big, big change in Megan, she has taken on a different personality." I think he said similar words regarding Crystal around this time a year ago. A leap, a bound, a hop, a jump, even a sophomore step could make a significant difference in determining the team's fortunes.

Reaction Score
No, no no no no! With all the talent on the team, why would you want one player to be the first and second option? What happens when she gets shut down or is in foul trouble? First option, maybe, but not first and second. Believe me, KLS may wind up being the third best player on this season's team and not because she does not play extremely well. AA well. However, there may be two who play even better. UConn may very well have four AA this season.

I don't care about who's an All American as much as I care about winning championships.........if I'm not mistaken the last two teams that won the NC only had one All American while UConn had multiple AA's and lost........

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't care about who's an All American as much as I care about winning championships....if I'm not mistaken the last two teams that won the NC only had one All American while UConn had multiple AA's and lost...
What does this have to do with my post? I was responding to JustinesGuy post on KLS being the first and second option for next season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom