A Confident Walker | The Boneyard

A Confident Walker

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
(from Waterbury Republican-American: July 14, 2018)
Megan said, "I have been focusing on my 3-point efficiency and my back-to-the-basket moves and really my foot speed in defending."
Geno stated: "We have seen a big, big change in Megan, she has taken on a different personality."

I love to see statements like these, when a new season is approaching !

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
(from Waterbury Republican-American: July 14, 2018)
Megan said, "I have been focusing on my 3-point efficiency and my back-to-the-basket moves and really my foot speed in defending."
Geno stated: "We have seen a big, big change in Megan, she has taken on a different personality."

I love to see statements like these, when a new season is approaching !
I tried to warn everybody at the end of last season. This is an AA in the making. She'll show it this year.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t it be great if Meg takes on the “nasty piece of work” defender role that Kia provided for her four years. I’d guess that Geno would have no objection.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I resisted big time, but you finally convinced me. ;) Just kidding about the first part. We’re both on the Megatron Bandwagon.
Honestly Mil, you and I have been trumpeting her as much as anyone. There have been however quite a few Doubting Thomas' on this board that will need further convincing.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t it be great if Meg takes on the “nasty piece of work” defender role that Kia provided for her four years. I’d guess that Geno would have no objection.
Me neither.

Reaction Score
I always thought Coombs was supposed to be the lock down defender of that class.

Reaction Score
I believe this is Meg's year and I have all the confidence in the world that she will not disappoint. She will average between 10 and 15 points a game. Also Meg will play outstanding defense which will make Geno a happy camper.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I resisted big time, but you finally convinced me. ;) Just kidding about the first part. We’re both on the Megatron Bandwagon.

There will be a lot of "doubting Thomases" jumping on that band wagon as the season unfolds. Every year we go through this, and every year there are still those that expect the highly touted freshmen (like Megan) to immediately come in a shine like a 250 watt bulb in a dark room, then express their doubt and disappointment when they don't.

Geno says it every year...........It takes most freshmen "a full year" to grasp a full and complete understanding of his system before they can play and make a sustained impact on the team. FACT - There's no substitute for experience. Incoming freshmen simply don't have it. Geno didn't completely trust the sophomores last year, and they had been in the system for 17 months. Why should he trust the freshmen who had only been on campus for 5 months at the beginning of the season?

Because of the glaring and urgent need for ONO and Williams to come in and hit the ground running day 1, there will be some high expectations. They're going to have good games, and some not so good games because they're freshmen, and regardless of how long they've been playing or how high their BB IQ is, they're going to stub their toe once in awhile because they haven't played at THIS level against ELITE players that are in some cases 3 years older, and have already learned things they've yet to learn. They're going to make some freshman mistakes. They'll learn "OJT". The best and fastest way to learn something.

Some things you just can't simulate in practice: the presence and energy of the crowd, the unfamiliarity of strange/unknown opponents (not the usual practice players or other teammates - watching them on film is not the same as interacting with them in person), having your family present and sitting right behind the bench, the presence of real referees, in some cases knowing that you're on national TV, and millions of people are watching, and the adrenalin that comes with every game on the schedule.

I can clearly remember the game against South Carolina (2/9/15) in Gampel during A'ja Wilson's freshman year. A'ja turned out to be an All-American, the MVP of the 2017 final 4, and the 1st overall pick in the 2018 WNBA draft. But..........................on THAT DAY, junior Breanna Stewart took her to school!!! Stewie used her and took her lunch money. Wilson could not do anything with her.............absolutely nothing!

Wilson was an inexperienced freshman that was taking her lumps on the way to learning how to play at THIS level against the "elite" players in Division 1 women's college basketball. Wilson learned some things that day. Things she could not have learned in practice, or sitting on the bench. She went on to have an outstanding college career complete with a championship, but she had to go through that period of adjustment just like Megan did last year. Upper classmen tell the freshmen every year.............."You just gotta get through it". :confused:

Megan is not a freshman anymore. The training wheels are off. All of the reports that we've gotten about Megan this summer have been positive. She's showing signs of having made that "leap". She's more mature, more aware (knows the system and what she is suppose to do), physically and mentally stronger, with more resolve to show what kind of player she really is. THIS YEAR we can expect to see the Megan Walker we were hoping to see last year. I'm pretty sure we will..........................right out of the gate. I do expect Walker to be promoted to the starting line-up this year. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There will be a lot of "doubting Thomases" jumping on that band wagon as the season unfolds. Every year we go through this, and every year there are still those that expect the highly touted freshmen (like Megan) to come in a shine like a 150 watt bulb in a dark room immediately, then express their doubt and disappointment when they don't.

Geno says it every year......It takes most freshmen "a full year" to grasp a full and complete understanding of his system before they can play and make a sustained impact on the team. There's no substitute for experience. Incoming freshmen simply don't have it. Geno didn't completely trust the sophomores last year. Why should he trust the freshmen?

Because of the glaring and urgent need for ONO and Williams to come in and hit the ground running day 1, there will be some unrealistic expectations. They're going to have to good games, and some not so good games because they're freshmen, and regardless of how long they've been playing, they haven't played at THIS level against players 3 years older than them who have already learned things they'll be learning along the way this season. They're going to make some freshman mistakes. They'll learn "OJT". The best and fastest way to learn something.

Some things you just can't simulate in practice: the presence of the crowd, the unfamiliarity of strange/unknown opponents (not the usual practice players or other teammates - watching them on film is not the same as standing in front of them in person), the presence of real referees, and the adrenalin that comes with every game on the schedule.

I can clearly remember the game against South Carolina (2/9/15) in Gampel during A'ja Wilson's freshman year. A'ja turned out to be an All-American, the MVP of the 2017 final 4, and the 1st overall pick in the 2018 WNBA draft. But......on THAT DAY, junior Breanna Stewart took her to school!!! Stewie used her and took her lunch money. Wilson could not do anything with her...absolutely nothing!

Wilson was an inexperienced freshman, that was taking her lumps on the way to learning how to play at THIS level against the "elite" players in Division 1 women's college basketball. Wilson learned some things that day. Things she could not have learned in practice. She went on to have an outstanding college career complete with a championship, but she had to go through that period of adjustment just like Megan did last year. Upper classmen tell the freshmen every year...."You just gotta get through it". :confused:

Megan is not a freshman anymore. The training wheels are off. All of the reports that we've gotten about Megan this summer have been positive. She's showing signs of having made that "leap". She's more mature, more aware (knows the system and what she is suppose to do), physically and mentally stronger, with more resolve to show what kind of player she really is. THIS YEAR we can expect to see the Megan Walker we were hoping to see last year. I'm pretty sure we will..right out of the gate. I expect Walker to be promoted to the starting line-up this year. ;)
Just by not giving up, but rather staying at UConn and working harder, Meg has shown maturity. The staff told her what she needs to do, and she has embraced it.

In terms of Stewie taking A’ja Wilson’s lunch money, I can’t understand how Breanna is still so thin, because she took a lot of lunch money over her career. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hope this optimism looks like understatement by mid-December. When Meg was being recruited the hysteria built to where she was the second coming of Maya, yadda yadda. If she's found her conditioning/legs and can keep her head she should keep a lot of Boneyarders happy. I expect CW to push on a couple of players.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Just by not giving up, but rather staying at UConn and working harder, Meg has shown maturity. The staff told her what she needs to do, and she has embraced it.

In terms of Stewie taking A’ja Wilson’s lunch money, I can’t understand how Breanna is still so thin, because she took a lot of lunch money over her career. :)

To be honest, I don't think quitting ever entered Walker's mind. I'd like to think she knew exactly what she had signed up for, and was equal to the challenge. You can bet someone (a teammate, a coach, a family member, somebody) was in her ear all year. That's why Kiah Stokes didn't quit. She was in Geno's dog house for 3 years. I believe her father and mother stayed in her ear the whole time, and it paid off. 1st round (11th overall) draft pick in 2015. She's still in the league. Earlier this year, she received a 3 year contract extension from the NY Liberty.

Don't forget the old adage: "That which does not kill you makes you stronger". I believe Walker grew BIG time from her freshman experience. Megan has always appeared to me to be a "no non-sense" young lady. She appears to have "a champion's" pedigree. Of course at times she was unable to hide or mask her frustration and disappointment during the season, but I believe that experience simply provided fuel for the fire for the work she knew she had to do this summer.

Megan is not a quitter. That kind of talk was no doubt from trolls just passing through the yard. A real true blue UConn fan/booster would never think, talk or comment like that. We support all of our girls 100% year round without fatigue. :D

Now, back to A'ja Wilson - I watched some of this game again a moment ago (and enjoyed it!). Looking at it in retrospect, I appreciate more NOW the things Stewie did than at the time she was doing them. Stewie was special!!! We may not see another player come through UConn with the total package that Stewie had for awhile (I hope I'm wrong). Her skills seamlessly carried over to the professional level without missing a beat.

She's currently leading the league in scoring at 22.0 ppg, and acknowledged by many as the best player on her team. There are some great players in the W this year. She's out scoring them all. A proud product of Geno and CD's finishing school for female athletes. Stewie is an exceptional athlete. We were all blessed and privileged to watch her grow and matriculate through her 4 years at UConn. Watching her lead the team to 4 national championships was fun too. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Megan is not a quitter. That kind of talk was no doubt from trolls just passing through the yard. A real true blue UConn fan/booster would never think, talk or comment like that. We support all of our girls 100% year round without fatigue. :D
...Watching her lead the team to 4 national championships was fun too. ;)

Scoop, I really wish that was true. But we’ve seen more than a few UConn fans on the BY who might think themselves loyal and wise, yet they hack on our players incessantly, even though it violates board rules.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Scoop, I really wish that was true. But we’ve seen more than a few UConn fans on the BY who might think themselves loyal and wise, yet they hack on our players incessantly, even though it violates board rules.

Unfortunately, that's true. I chose to take the high road (and not judge) on that one. :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not going to classify anyone as a true fan, troll, or whatever, but there were posters who said Megan would or should transfer. I was not one of them. I was disappointed in her freshman year, but Meg admits that she was too. She may not be Maya or Stewie, but she has more potential than she showed. I look for a big leap this year and continued growth from Meg. I'm very happy that she chose UConn.

Reaction Score
I tried to warn everybody at the end of last season. This is an AA in the making. She'll show it this year.
Maybe.... let’s see a few game minutes before we crown anyone.

Reaction Score
It seems almost every year a UCONN freshman is overblown by some BYers and sold as the next, great, superstar putting undue pressure on that player or just suffer to live up to the hype! It is very rare in WCBB at any school that any freshman comes in and dominates from the opening whistle!
A lot of freshmen come in with great credentials but have never known any type of failure and when hard-times come and it usually does they don't know how to react to it!
It won't happen but we UCONN fans should give these young ladies a grace period and let them excel at their own pace! 9 out of 10 will revert to their previous levels of success!
IMHO Meg (SG), Crystal Dangerfield (PG), KLS (SF), Collier (PF), and Batouly (C) will be the starting 5 for this season's Huskies! With CW and ONO the first off the bench as G and F/C respectfully!
I really believe this group of Huskies will have a deeper "fire in their bellies" after the disappointments of the last 2 years! I think it's already showing with reports of extra work put in by all the girls in their off-season!

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I have been a MW fan all along. She did show some of her potential last year, however vert sparingly. It has been my contention that she would "blossom" her soph season. When we were treated by the video of her and Pheesa working out, I knew she was in good hands and "in a good place". It appeared to me that she has an even temperament and seemed to be willing to take Geno's "punches" along the way. That alone speaks to her drive to excel. Will she be a super star? I don't know. I just root for her to be the best that she can be. That will satisfy most of us BYers. I'm of the opinion that we will see a different MW and we will be impressed, to say the least.

I hope and pray that our freshmen are up to the task of providing much needed playing time and being "beyond their age". But alas, they are freshmen and will need our support no matter what transpires. Let's get behind them and not criticize when they have some difficult games, as we all know they will.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It seems almost every year a UCONN freshman is overblown by some BYers and sold as the next, great, superstar putting undue pressure on that player or just suffer to live up to the hype! It is very rare in WCBB at any school that any freshman comes in and dominates from the opening whistle!
A lot of freshmen come in with great credentials but have never known any type of failure and when hard-times come and it usually does they don't know how to react to it!
It won't happen but we UCONN fans should give these young ladies a grace period and let them excel at their own pace! 9 out of 10 will revert to their previous levels of success!
IMHO Meg (SG), Crystal Dangerfield (PG), KLS (SF), Collier (PF), and Batouly (C) will be the starting 5 for this season's Huskies! With CW and ONO the first off the bench as G and F/C respectfully!
I really believe this group of Huskies will have a deeper "fire in their bellies" after the disappointments of the last 2 years! I think it's already showing with reports of extra work put in by all the girls in their off-season!
The lack of buzz or even mention about Batouly since the end of the season is kind of concerning. Hopefully she is fully healthy, has been in the Gym and is ready to earn a starting spot. For someone projected to be a starter it has been an awful quite couple of months.

JS

Reaction Score
BigBird, if you see something you think violates board rules, please report the post. Every post contains a link to do so. We may or may not agree, but you can be sure the issue won't be missed.

Criticism of a player, including inaccurate criticism, obviously does not automatically equate to a violation. It's up to other board members to refute or agree with opinions.

For there to be a violation (described in the board rules as "trashing" the player) there has to be something more, such as:

• A disrespectful tone. Mocking the player, making snide comments about her ability or effort or supposed mindset.
  • Any comments at all, direct or implied, about a possible transfer that should or might occur. That's also its own category of violation.
  • Piling on the criticism. This refers to harping on a particular player. Enough can be enough, even when the criticism is otherwise acceptable.