A bit Half-Cocked? Sporting News Picks South Carolina as Preseason #1 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A bit Half-Cocked? Sporting News Picks South Carolina as Preseason #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
SEC Kaizen when healthy she is better than Mitchell from SC.Stewie should win and the only player to beat her will be Moriah!
Thanks, yes she will be SEC POY.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
SEC Kaizen when healthy she (Diamond) is better than Mitchell from SC.
Diamond has only played 1 year of college basketball, so if you consider her healthy during that one year then I strongly disagree. Mitchell has put up two AA seasons both of which were significantly statistically better than Diamond's one season at UNC. If you did not consider Diamond healthy at UNC then there is nothing to compare until DD puts up two consecutive AA seasons and wins SEC player of the year-Twice!

mr006

Reaction Score
Meh... Uconn was ranked behind SC half of last year - how did that work out? Only number that matters is the one on the scoreboard. Should they take the crown on the court, so be it.

Reaction Score
SEC has not been as strong the last 4 or 5 years as it was in the past.She was the National Freshman of the Year
Diamond has only played 1 year of college basketball, so if you consider her healthy during that one year then I strongly disagree. Mitchell has put up two AA seasons both of which were significantly statistically better than Diamond's one season at UNC. If you did not consider Diamond healthy at UNC then there is nothing to compare until DD puts up two consecutive AA seasons and wins SEC player of the year-Twice!
Her freshmen year she averaged 18 pts and 5 reb.a game and as named ACC freshman of the Year as well as the National Freshmen of the Year!She scored 38 against NC State and 30 against Duke and by the way she led UNC to a win over South Carolina in the regular season and then beat no.1 ranked South Carolina by scoring 19 pts in the NCAA Tournament!So much for your AA that year!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SEC has not been as strong the last 4 or 5 years as it was in the past.She was the National Freshman of the Year

Her freshmen year she averaged 18 pts and 5 reb.a game and as named ACC freshman of the Year as well as the National Freshmen of the Year!She scored 38 against NC State and 30 against Duke and by the way she led UNC to a win over South Carolina in the regular season and then beat no.1 ranked South Carolina by scoring 19 pts in the NCAA Tournament!So much for your AA that year!

Pretty sure SC wasn't ranked #1 that year they lost to UNC in the tournament...

Nowhere near it..

1-seed, yes. And SC was not an honest 1-seed that year...

Reaction Score
If Welch didn't have the game she did in Feb.Uconn wins by 35 or 40!The game in South Carolina on Feb.8 Connecticut by at least 20!
Well that will definitely not happen in Columbia. I will be shocked if that game is not extremely competitive.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I must have confused you when I said "significantly statistically better" I was thinking of Diamond's shooting percentages -or lack there of! DD=41% from 2Pt range and 27% from 3pt range. Tiffany=51% from 2Pt range and 41% from 3pt range. That's right Tiffany shot it better from 3 than Diamond shot it from 2! And while we are at it don't get fooled by that 19 PPG either. DD got to 19 PPG by hoisting 300 more shots than any other Freshmen in the Country. If you gave
only 1/2 (That is 150) of those shots to her fellow freshmen & teammate on UNC Alisha Gray-she would have average 20 PPG. Fair point that UNC beat SC in the tournament in '14 also fair to point out what UNC did vs South Carolina without Diamond in '15.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure SC wasn't ranked #1 that year they lost to UNC in the tournament...

Nowhere near it..

1-seed, yes. And SC was not an honest 1-seed that year...
I mentioned the tournament that is where they were ranked.First time ranked no.1 for the polls was last year.

Reaction Score
Well that will definitely not happen in Columbia. I will be shocked if that game is not extremely competitive.
No Welch,IMO Connecticut will be better this year!Again CT. by 20 or more.Scary isn't it!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
No Welch,IMO Connecticut will be better this year!Again CT. by 20 or more.Scary isn't it!

Even when we're mediocre, we're tough to beat at home. I also think the Gamecocks will be much better, offensively, than last season. That's why they play the games, though. I'm expecting 18,000 at that game; it will be a fun environment.

Reaction Score
Its good to have another team #1 for a change and lets see how they adjust to being the hunted. Last season's results were not their best.......Good luck USC!!!.......They are very very talented.........

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its UConn and everybody else. Do you think UConn is afraid of playing any other team in WCBB? No Now what team isn't afraid of having UConn in their bracket ? Any team in UConns bracket will not make the FF.

Reaction Score
Link? I would LOVE to read this article hahaha...

FWIW, I'm a Gamecock and don't necessarily agree with this. We'll be good but I have no idea how good. And even then I still don't think there's anybody getting in the way of Breanna Stewart and her fourth title.
Great motivational article for USC and UConn. All pre season stuff is Conversational Recreational
Associative Possibilities from the initials I'm sure Geno will read it with gusto or wine.

Reaction Score
Its UConn and everybody else. Do you think UConn is afraid of playing any other team in WCBB? No Now what team isn't afraid of having UConn in their bracket ? Any team in UConns bracket will not make the FF.

I'm a believer---but if this is the REAL season--tell Geno just to phone it in --no need to follow the boring UConn WBB--yawn!!
Good teams, ND, Tn, USC, Ohio (just think only Tn isn't on Uconn's schedule. The best teams want to play the best, and they expect to win, you play top teams that's how you know how good or bad you are (except for a fluke like Stanford). If you are on Uconn's bracket you know you have a shot at the NC--who wouldn't want that???
Any team that folds up it's tent because they see the Husky on a UConn shirt--should stop playing the game!! The AAC ---none can beat UConn but they all try most think on this night they can beat Uconn if their coach tell his/her team to expect a loss, replace that coach.

Reaction Score
I agree with the poster that this is, in fact, bulletin board material. Any motivational tool is good and Geno uses them better than anyone.

South Carolina does have a terrific frontcourt which only underscores my belief that Natalie will be the 5th starter to help neutralize Coates. Butler's presence on the court will be a huge help to Stewie, both offensively and defensively.

USC has a talented front line and guards, true. But in the Preseason international games---Aja and Coates did not impress. I agree with Natalie getting lots of time with Uconn's big 4 (now big 5?)

I like your comment on Geno (Chris) using motivational tools. Geno wants his team to know other teams think they can beat them (that's what good coaches do).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But in the Preseason international games---Aja and Coates did not impress.
Let's keep it real. A'ja was impressive enough to win MVP. Coates was impressive at times. This statement opens the door to say if Wilson wasn't impressive neither was Collier- & we both know that is not true.

Reaction Score
Sporting News scouting report is out and up with its Preseason Top 20 - and sitting at the top of the roost is . . . USC East! While great exposure for a great program & coach, I think this makes for some mighty fine bulletin board material in the Husky locker room. SN doesn't play coy in predicting the next NC, stating emphatically, "The Gamecocks will be the 2016 NCAA Women's Basketball Champions"; citing their very abundant talent, depth, and leadership. You know, we got a lot of that in Storrs too. Here's their Top 20:

1. South Carolina
2. Connecticut
3. Notre Dame
4. Baylor
5. Ohio State
6. Florida State
7. George Washington
8. Duke
9. Tennessee
10. Oregon State
11. Arizona State
12. Louisville
13. Texas
14. UCLA
15. South Florida
16. Princeton
17. Chattanooga
18. Northwestern
19. Texas A&M
20. Maryland

Who cares!! This isn't college football...no popularity contest; no committee to select the "Final Four"; means absolutely NOTHING. See you in April.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Who cares!! This isn't college football...no popularity contest; no committee to select the "Final Four"; means absolutely NOTHING. See you in April.
Obviously some people do, we got 4 pages on this goofy poll.

Reaction Score
Carolyn: "High likelihood USC wins the NC." Although she admits Connecticut will be "good"

Carolyn: "High likelihood USC wins the NC." Although she admits Connecticut will be "good"

I hadn't realized how much I've appreciated a Peck-less offseason.

It just proves that there really is no free lunch.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This years UConn team has no weaknesses at any position and is talently deeper then any team in WCBB. Our Freshman Class is the cream of the crop. Understand choosing the best teams is not only about talent or rosters its about the team and playing as a team. UConn has weapons at every position with depth. The biggest difference between UConn and every other team is UConn plays unselfish team BB. They don't depend on one player they depend on executing as a team. Do they run plays for certain players? Yes but they are not dependent on one player. This season is one of the all time great UConn rosters in WCBB. A tremendous amount of talent on both sides of the ball with height quickness athleticism and unselfishness. This is a very powerful team. They will be able to score at will. The difficulty opponents will have is guarding UConn one on one as you can not leave any player unguarded. Not winning the NC would be a surprise. Losing a game would be a surprise but as we know what happened at Stanford last season flukes do happen and that's just the way it is.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Let's keep it real. A'ja was impressive enough to win MVP. Coates was impressive at times. This statement opens the door to say if Wilson wasn't impressive neither was Collier- & we both know that is not true.

You've been on a roll lately.. ;)

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Honestly, I wasn't really sold on Coates until that nice game she had over the summer. She was very impressive at times, but she does get frustrated and seems to not post as hard or sprint back up the court if she feels like she isn't getting the ball as much as she wants it. Maybe this year she will mature some, not give up on plays where the ball doesn't get to her, and expand her back to the basket game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Honestly, I wasn't really sold on Coates until that nice game she had over the summer. She was very impressive at times, but she does get frustrated and seems to not post as hard or sprint back up the court if she feels like she isn't getting the ball as much as she wants it. Maybe this year she will mature some, not give up on plays where the ball doesn't get to her, and expand her back to the basket game.
Coates is very talented by an enigma. Having Ibiam play/start in front of her for two year was not good for her confidence or long term development. Dawn has eluded to having to treat her somewhat different because of "fragile confidence"-my words not Dawn's. I disagree with Doris Burke about SC making a commitment to feeding Coates the ball in the low post. She is not a polished low post player or passer especially with her back to the basket and she doesn't finish well in traffic at the basket. Best example of Coates confidence can be seen in the UNC & ND NCAA tournament games. Against UNC she demanded the ball in crunch time, drew the foul and was automatic from the line 10 of 10. Against ND she was a different player, not demanding the ball, bad body language, and wanting no parts of shooting free throws going 0 of 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom