A bit Half-Cocked? Sporting News Picks South Carolina as Preseason #1 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A bit Half-Cocked? Sporting News Picks South Carolina as Preseason #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good post. Irrespective of pre-season polls, I predict ND will be right there at the end of the year. I see UCONN and ND as 1 and 2 again, destined to collide once more in the Final Four (all this barring injuries, of course). ND might be more effective offensively as a team because, sans Loyd, they will be forced to play more as a team. And they're already pretty good at that. Muffett doesn't have the perfect complement of pieces going in, but she has a lot of talent overall and knows what to do with it.

Personally, I'd rather not see UCONN and ND meet again, simply because it would cultivate more/new drama if there were other matchups. And USC ought to be strong--they have the horses. But I see UCONN and ND as the two best come April.
ND and UConn will play at least one game against each other this season, in 2 1/2 months, and probably for the foreseeable future. That game isn't going away as long as Geno and Muffet feel they are getting something out of it.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
ND and UConn will play at least one game against each other this season, in 2 1/2 months, and probably for the foreseeable future. That game isn't going away as long as Geno and Muffet feel they are getting something out of it.
Right. I meant in the Final Four.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
So SCar only has to play TN once not including the SEC Tourney then right?
yes in the regular season. They will probably play in SECT.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me the hype, buzz being generated around Mississippi State. Surely it is not because of Tiera McGowan. Is Mississippi State even top 5 in SEC?
The coach they have is known for being a great defensive coach.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Ahem.

Superb post. No offense taken.;)
Yeah, I really should have proofed that a little better. I meant to write that Hannah is a liability on offense. Her defensive skills are excellent. It's interesting that in high school she was great on offense but not very good on defense. They say that defense is mostly desire, and so I guess Hannah is very motivated now.

Reaction Score
Carolyn: "High likelihood USC wins the NC." Although she admits Connecticut will be "good"
When was the last time the SEC won the women's tourney? Has to be Pat's last one which means there are not many kids in the current recruiting class that remember the SEC winning much of anything in women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think it's a lot crazier to rank UConn 2nd than to rank ND as third. There is a much greater chance that ND is top 3 than UConn not being number 1. To rank any team higher than UConn (preseason) is ridiculous.

ND has a very solid PG in Lindsay Allen and a great young post in Brianna Turner. Reimer started playing better the last half of the season and the front court gets boosted by the return of big body Kristina Nelson, who missed all of last season following shoulder surgery in summer 2014. Westbeld will provide quality minutes up front as well. ND will obviously miss Loyd on the wing, and the starting backcourt (SG and W) is presently uncertain. Most likely Michaela Mabrey comes back as the starting SG and designated bomber, but after that, there are plenty of questions. Cable probably deserves to start on the wing; she's scrappy and stretches the defense with her 3-point range (44% career), but neither she nor Michaela can create their own shot like Loyd could. In addition, Cable provides a valuable service as the first player off the bench, providing energy and good defense. Arike can create her own shot (as can PG Allen), but presently she is working with the 1's and combo guards, suggesting a different role for her. Maybe Arike can play the 2 and Mabrey slides over to the 3. The biggest problem with Michaela is that she is a liability on defense. While she is good at team defense, she gets beat fairly easily off the dribble by quicker players. By starting her, ND is probably forced into playing a zone to start a game. Other backcourt options include Marina Mabrey (W), Ali Patberg (combo) and Mychal Johnson (combo). Hannah Huffman will see minutes because of her defensive skills, but she's a liability on defense. Tall, thin post Diamond Thompson is probably relegated to minutes at the end of games. Of course all this can change as the team practices together the next 6 weeks until the season starts.

I think Notre Dame will be as good as always by the end of the year because of all the reasons you listed (And I think the remaining players probably have a point to prove by all the discussion of losing Lloyd), but I wouldn't have put them at #3 preseason. Not putting UCONN at #1 does still boggle my mind.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I am not totally convinced SC is the team to beat from the SEC.

Reaction Score
The SEC network giving positive comments about SEC teams. What else would one expect? But at least they should stick to facts. For instance, stating Diamond D's USA experience in the World U Games will add to her already superstar abilities when, in fact, she hardly played because of injury. I believe 0-3 field goals for this Gold Medal winner.

Sometimes I think over enthusiastic fan attitudes stem from reading only their own team's propaganda.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The SEC network giving positive comments about SEC teams. What else would one expect? But at least they should stick to facts. For instance, stating Diamond D's USA experience in the World U Games will add to her already superstar abilities when, in fact, she hardly played because of injury. I believe 0-3 field goals for this Gold Medal winner.

Sometimes I think over enthusiastic fan attitudes stem from reading only their own team's propaganda.
No one can deny Diamond is talented.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
My point was why not pick something she actually accomplished to brag about.
I understand. Unfortunately she had a injury to stop her from playing more. Then she also hasn't played in over a year. So making the team was something positive.

Reaction Score
If Welch didn't have the game she did in Feb.Uconn wins by 35 or 40!The game in South Carolina on Feb.8 Connecticut by at least 20!

Reaction Score
I understand. Unfortunately she had a injury to stop her from playing more. Then she also hasn't played in over a year. So making the team was something positive.
If Diamond can stay healthy and come back close to what she did in North Carolina.IMO Tenn wins SEC and she is POY but only if she is healthy.

Reaction Score
If Diamond can stay healthy and come back close to what she did in North Carolina.IMO Tenn wins SEC and she is POY but only if she is healthy.
You think she can beat Stewie to get POY? Not too likely ...............

Reaction Score
You think she can beat Stewie to get POY? Not too likely .....
SEC Kaizen when healthy she is better than Mitchell from SC.Stewie should win and the only player to beat her will be Moriah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom