A bit Half-Cocked? Sporting News Picks South Carolina as Preseason #1 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

A bit Half-Cocked? Sporting News Picks South Carolina as Preseason #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
\

Not to continue a running dialogue over a non issue---but "inference" by nature says this is how YOU see it, not what was said--and I didn't say it. Also this positing as all is just an opinion--and MY OPINION was neither Wilson or Coates impressed me. It's like my opinion is that KIAH should have been Recruit of the Year and a group selected her. Now the interesting thing is that --like MVP of Wilson and ROY of Loyd that was the OPINION of those who selected them--certainly my OPINION is as valid as theirs.
Saying that they did not impress me takes a leap of judgement to arrive at a conclusion that they were dishonored in any way by my opinion--if they were maybe they had no honor to start.--impressive they were to you--not to me--ALLOW ME MY OPINION, I allow yours!!

Nice response. Not impressed with Wilson either. Not that she's a bad player...just not nearly worthy of all the praise. Let the Games begin!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Getting back to Notre Dame (page 1?)
For my first time, I don't think they'll be that good this season.
The horses are absent.
Maybe 6,7,8
Aja is a fine talent and will excel
Naphessa will be a revelation.
Overlooking or underestimating UTenn this season is a mistake.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The horses are absent.
Maybe 6,7,8
I think ND have a top 5 PG, a top 5 forward, and a top 5 coach - that is a pretty good formula for a strong year. The question will then be the complementary talent, and I think theirs is pretty solid.

I am not sure you can project TN to that same degree - if Russell and Diamond come off their injuries and have grown as players then probably yes on the players, but I don't think Holly can claim a top five position as a coach. The complementary talent is pretty solid.

I think you can classify SC and Baylor in the ND range on having guard, forward, and coach being top 5, with solid complementary talent, but I am not sure you can say the same for any other team beside Uconn. (SC might classify as having an additional forward as top 5 - a bonus for them.)

When you look at the landscape in those terms Uconn really does stand out - PG, Forward and Coach not being top 5 but #1 across the board, and then both a second guard and a second forward as top five as well. (I'll accept someone (non-Uconn fan of course) questioning my rating of Kia as top five, but it is not too big a stretch.) And the complementary talent on paper is excellent as well.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'd just like to say that an SC fan DID NOT start this thread by the way...

We like to toot as well, but typically only when asked or poked... :D

And I'd never make a thread like this on another team's board because I would hate for that to happen on CockyTalk..

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I think ND have a top 5 PG, a top 5 forward, and a top 5 coach. The question will then be the complementary talent.

I am not sure you can project TN to that same degree. The complementary talent is pretty solid.

I think you can classify SC and Baylor in the ND range with solid complementary talent.

When you look at the landscape in those terms Uconn really does stand out And the complementary talent on paper is excellent as well.

Ahem.

Permit me to compliment (i.e., congratulate) UCMiami for his correct (4x yet!) use of complementary (i.e., supportive), a variation of the verb complement.

Any 'Yarders who are uncertain about which word to use, follow this example. ;)

Reaction Score
I don't understand this line of thinking about a preseason ranking. They haven't done enough in the preseason to be top15? no one has done anything yet. I think preseason polls are best thought of a prediction of how the season will go, mostly based on returning talent and recruiting. Coaching is also a factor; teams like louisvillle tend to enjoy higher rankings because they have overachieved in the post season. Once we start playing games and getting results the polls can be adjusted based on that. And teams that are over or under rated will have their positions adjusted. I don't think SC is capable of beating UConn, certainly not in April (unless there are injuries), so I don't think its right for this poll to have them #1. But USF should probably be a sweet 16 team, so ranking them in the top 15 makes sense. lets not forget USF gave UConn their 3rd toughest game last year.

While these preseason polls have little effect on top teams like UConn, they do have an effect on most of the rest of wcbb when the NCAA's come around and decisions are being made as to seeding or even just making the tournament field.

Take a team like Georgia. They started last season unranked but entered in week 2 in a tie for 24th. By Christmas they were 11-0 and ranked 14th, after playing a dismally weak bunch of cupcakes. Why? Solely because of the name on their jerseys. They remained in the top 25 until mid February, despite going 6-6. Eventually they ended up 19-12 (6-10 in SEC). That means that after an 11-0 start against pathetic competition, once they started playing some top 100 teams they played the rest of the season 8-12. And yet there were 6 teams, mostly SEC members, who claimed a win against a top 25 team for their resume to the selection committee in March. Compare Georgia to USF. They didn't enter the AP top 25 till the 14th week and were still behind Georgia at that point at 25th to Geo's 24th. Georgia didn't make the NCAA's while USF lost by 6 to 3 seed Louisville. And why did six teams get to claim a top 25 win while USF's early season opponents didn't? Simply because a bunch of uninformed, and in some cases biased, AP writers put Georgia there at the start of the season when thy should never have been there in the first place. Once you get ranked, it matters little who you beat. As long as you don't lose you move up as others lose. Watch this year. Baylor will probably be a top 10 team at the start and given the weak sisters they will play prior to the conference schedule they will remain undefeated and will move up as teams above them lose to other elite teams. And there will be a few P-5 teams that will be ranked for no good reason other than their name and will provide other conference teams a top 25 win like Georgia did for it's SEC sisters last year.

So again, while these early polls mean nothing to an elite team like Connecticut, they will mean quite a bit to others come March.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ahem.

Permit me to compliment (i.e., congratulate) UCMiami for his correct (4x yet!) use of complementary (i.e., supportive), a variation of the verb complement.

Any 'Yarders who are uncertain about which word to use, follow this example. ;)
I get a gold star! I get a gold star! I get a gold star! I get a gold star! Oh my mommy will be so proud! :):cool:
(Thanks Kib)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Alydar - good points in terms of the major two polls, but you leave out another I think even more important aspect of playing the weak sisters schedules that a lot of P5 teams put together - by piling up weak wins in non-conference games you improve the RPI value for the teams you play in conference since your winning percentage represents 50% of their RPI value. And if you choose your weak sister teams carefully so that they are in the top half of truly pathetic conference and have played their own weak sister OOC schedule, their winning percentage is helping your own RPI at a 50% clip as well. Suddenly everyone in your conference has a really strong RPI and the seeding committee can over-seed all your teams while sticking it to the mid-major teams.

Reaction Score
The horses are absent.
Maybe 6,7,8
I think ND may be 6,7,8 at the beginning of the season, but I think that by Mar they'll be a top 4 team again. Turner is an outstanding talent, Reimer slowly gets better every year and Allen is one of the top 4 or 5 point guards. With the recruiting class they have, I expect them to make a strong run at, if not get back to, the final 4.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think ND have a top 5 PG, a top 5 forward, and a top 5 coach - that is a pretty good formula for a strong year. The question will then be the complementary talent, and I think theirs is pretty solid.

I am not sure you can project TN to that same degree - if Russell and Diamond come off their injuries and have grown as players then probably yes on the players, but I don't think Holly can claim a top five position as a coach. The complementary talent is pretty solid.

I think you can classify SC and Baylor in the ND range on having guard, forward, and coach being top 5, with solid complementary talent, but I am not sure you can say the same for any other team beside Uconn. (SC might classify as having an additional forward as top 5 - a bonus for them.)

When you look at the landscape in those terms Uconn really does stand out - PG, Forward and Coach not being top 5 but #1 across the board, and then both a second guard and a second forward as top five as well. (I'll accept someone (non-Uconn fan of course) questioning my rating of Kia as top five, but it is not too big a stretch.) And the complementary talent on paper is excellent as well.
In re-reading this, I realize I sort of glossed over a distinction I was thinking of when I started this - I think a really good point guard is much more valuable than a really good shooting guard in terms of overall team success. Because of that, I would maybe 'penalize' SC and TN slightly in the above list because their 'top 5' guards are both shooting guards, not PGs.
By stating the above I'm not trying to diss either Tiffany or Diamond - they are both immensely talented - but neither of them I think see their primary 'job' on the court as being to make sure the whole team is involved and running smoothly, but rather to provide a scoring engine for the team. I think the jury is still out on the PGs for both teams - the skills are there, but can they put it all together?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Duke comes to Columbia in early December so I can pick on TDF when the time comes. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson Leads Team USA To FIBA U19 World Championship, Earns Tournament MVP

July 26, 2015
Byline:
Wilson collects 30 points in the title match
2014 alum A’ja Wilson and Team USA captured their sixth consecutive FIBA U19 World Championship after their 78-70 victory in the title game over host nation, Russia.

The Americans (7-0) dominated throughout the tournament, before a close match in the championship final as the Russians (6-1) stormed out to early leads throughout the first half. However, as the Highlander faithful can attest, it’s only a matter of time before A’ja dominates in a big game!

Wilson collected 30 points (a USA Basketball championship record), 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and a blocked shot, as she powered the Americans to an 8-point victory. Finishing the tournament averaging 22.3 points, 8.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists over the seven games, A’ja was named the tournament MVP.in her second U19 World Championship appearance.

The rising South Carolina sophomore and Team USA U19 Coach Dawn Staley will look to lead the Lady Gamecocks to consecutive Final Four appearances this winter - Congratulations A’ja!

I think UConn should be preseason #1 without question.

But have to contest the thought that Wilson was not impressive this summer.

South Carolina has a lot of room to get better from last season. Whether they get that done, I do not know. But if Wilson emerges as a dominant player rather than a talented freshman off the bench, that could USC a much more difficult team to beat.

Of course the biggest weakness last year was backcourt so the development of Cuevas and contributions of newcomers like Colley, Cliney, or even Duckett might make a major difference.

It will be fun to watch how it turns out.

Reaction Score
It will be tough to win in Knoxville, no doubt. I think it's awful we don't play twice in the regular season.

If you want to be a great team and have a chance to win a NC you must be able to beat quality teams on their home court!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If you want to be a great team and have a chance to win a NC you must be able to beat quality teams on their home court!

We've beaten UT in Knoxville before. Not saying it will happen again this season.. but it's not the end all be all if we don't. Personally, I think we take that game but it's a road game so who really knows...

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I am interested to see the top teams play.

I'm interested in how South Carolina plays with Coates/Wilson as starters. They were used to coming in at about the 14 minute mark each game. Likely starters now. I think they miss Welch more than some may realize but I think Imbovich is a nice addition.

I'm interested in what ND looks like post Jewell. I NEVER count the Irish out. They have lost stars before and MM has then right there in the end.

Baylor I think will be a contender and while they may not have a superior out of conference schedule, they have undeniable talent.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I am not sure you understand the nature of ref'ing in the SEC.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It will be tough to win in Knoxville, no doubt. I think it's awful we don't play twice in the regular season.
They should play again in the SECT. Most likely both games will be for SEC titles.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I am interested to see the top teams play.

I'm interested in how South Carolina plays with Coates/Wilson as starters. They were used to coming in at about the 14 minute mark each game. Likely starters now. I think they miss Welch more than some may realize but I think Imbovich is a nice addition.

I'm interested in what ND looks like post Jewell. I NEVER count the Irish out. They have lost stars before and MM has then right there in the end.

Baylor I think will be a contender and while they may not have a superior out of conference schedule, they have undeniable talent.

We will absolutely miss Welch's leadership, but we won't miss her free throw shooting. I don't think we have any more extremely poor free throw shooters (<50%) left on the team.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
We will absolutely miss Welch's leadership, but we won't miss her free throw shooting. I don't think we have any more extremely poor free throw shooters (<50%) left on the team.

THIS. Welch was definitely a holdover/reminder of Dawn's earlier teams. Those teams were so poor at FT shooting that Dawn would literally pull her hair out on the sidelines. I used to cringe and get pangs in my stomach every time Ashley Bruner would step to the line.

Welch's leadership and knack for rebounds will be missed but her position will be more than covered offensively. And I think Imovbioh will do just fine getting rebounds. We'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic with how good this team can be. I know they'll be good.. but can Dawn finally put it all together and have them playing like an elite team.

Reaction Score
I'll take the hype, but UConn definitely should be the favorite. UConn's players are scary good, even the ones most of the world doesn't know about yet. That's why UConn fans are hardly ever impressed with anyone that doesn't play for UConn. I think my Gamecocks SHOULD be the clear #2 team though this year. We've should be much improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom