#8 in new AP Poll | The Boneyard

#8 in new AP Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been so focused on what's been going on in Storrs that I often forget to notice how amazing this season has been across D1 WBB. Just looking at these rankings, and putting aside my quibbling hat for a moment, I can't recall as dynamic (even turbulent) a list of the top teams as this one. New names next to old ones, powerhouses and upstarts, upsets in the making everywhere. This is really great news for WBB.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The University of Virginia received a vote?

20220926_122804.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
While I respect all the top ranked teams, some that rely on 1-2 great shooters (i.e. Iowa) are likely not to want to face UConn with its quick defense. In the past, when we had one strong defensive guard, opponents often set picks to get this defender off their top scorer. KK, Nika, etc. are all relatively strong, tall, and can switch off picks without losing any defensive skill. We match up well with many of the teams currently ranked in the Top 10.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
while the number is what people pay attention to, there are quite a few instances where teams are mere votes apart:

#3 CO has just 10pts more than #4 KSU
#7 NC St has just 11pts more than #8 UConn
#12 OSU has just 13pts more than #13 Baylor

and...

Just 16 total pts separate #15 ND (331 pts), #16 Utah, #17 Gonzaga, #18 Louisville (315pts)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We no longer have a Top 25 match up tomorrow night :(
This is stupid (NOT you - the people who do the rankings and talk about "wins against top 25 teams").

UCONN lost to NC State when State was unranked. That counts as a loss against an unranked opponent, even tho NC State is #7 at the moment. Texas, with the loss of their starting PG, is not the same team. But we beat them when they were #10 and they rose to 3 or 4 or so. UCLA seems to be percolating in the top 3-4 for most of the season.

Plus, with the exception of the NC State game where most of our players were there, the first half of the season was playing "catch up" as one player after another went down an the team had to reinvent itself.

Honestly, the way we are playing now, I'd love a matchup against any of those teams we lost to. Our starters have been phenomenal, and our core 2 bench players have been getting more and more comfortable.

We will know more about our team after this week especially with the ND game, and even more after we face SC.

Anyway my point is - we beat Marquette once when they were #18. But we play them again and it's against an unranked team. IMHO it should be looked at season ending. Especially the NC State game but it holds for Marquette, Creighton, and anyone else in the BE should they get ranked...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is stupid (NOT you - the people who do the rankings and talk about "wins against top 25 teams"). ...
Agreed. The common media chatter of "ranked wins" is misleading when a certain number of opponents have either fallen out of the rankings or climbed up into them since the time of the contest.

The same goes for our win over Maryland, which has been included in the media tally of our "wins over ranked teams" because the Terps were AP #20 at the time, but it would not be regarded so highly by the selection committee (unless Maryland can mount a late-season surge).

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Is it true that the number 8 ranked team would be considered the weakest 2 seed in the NCAA and that the perceived weakest number 2 seed would play the perceived strongest number 1 seed in the final four?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Is it true that the number 8 ranked team would be considered the weakest 2 seed in the NCAA and that the perceived weakest number 2 seed would play the perceived strongest number 1 seed in the final four?
No because the committee uses the NET along with other material and I believe that UConn is currently #3 in the NET

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
1. The poll rankings do not determine the selection committee's rankings. The committee will rank the teams using their own criteria, which do not include the polls.

2. In a true S-curve bracket, the #1 and #8 overall seeds would meet in the Elite 8, but other circumstances (e.g. conference affiliation) can force a deviation from the true S-curve. (For example, if SC is #1 and LSU is #8 per the committee's ranking, they cannot be placed in the same quarter of the bracket.)

3. As for the projected Final Four pairings, the committee's #1 would always face #4, and #2 would face #3.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
1. The poll rankings do not determine the selection committee's rankings. The committee will rank the teams using their own criteria, which do not include the polls.

2. In a true S-curve bracket, the #1 and #8 overall seeds would meet in the Elite 8, but other circumstances (e.g. conference affiliation) can force a deviation from the true S-curve. (For example, if SC is #1 and LSU is #8 per the committee's ranking, they cannot be placed in the same quarter of the bracket.)

3. As for the projected Final Four pairings, the committee's #1 would always face #4, and #2 would face #3.
Thank you for the clear explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01