7 Kentucky players declare | Page 4 | The Boneyard

7 Kentucky players declare

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I wonder where LeBron would have gone on and done if he had to
My guess: Ohio State (I think the squid was coaching in the NBA, at the time of LBJ's eligibility)

On another note:
Kobe stated he would of went to Duke
I think we had a chance with Garnett tho

Reaction Score
This is said ad nauseum, yet people don't seem to realize why the current system is even in place. The one year minimum is set by the NBA, not the NCAA so all these people barking at Emmert to make changes are morons.

Basically, NBA GMs want their cake and to eat it too. They don't want to invest millions of guaranteed money and a top 5 pick on an unproven 18 year old high school kid who could very likely be a total bust (Eddie Curry, Kwame Brown). They'd much rather enforce a one year minimum, and monitor the same kid for a year at the college level with much more competition and competent coaching. This way they can take less risk on his drafting and no one else can have him either until he declares. It's the best of both worlds for the NBA, which is why I don't see much change forthcoming.

I don't know if that first paragraph is directed at me or not, but I'm not one of those morons. It's part of the reason I don't think people should criticize the "faux" students at UK. Those guys never wanted to be students, they wanted to be pro basketball players, but their hands were forced.

I don't know if the current situation is really the best for the NBA. I think my suggestion is better. They can draft a player, let him develop (without paying him), then take him when he and they are ready. And that player doesn't have to go to Australia (a la Daniels), he can develop under better coaching and against better talent right here in the states. They can also keep an eye on him easier making sure he's staying out of trouble, etc. The fact they'd be required to continue to be students should help them mature as well. The bottom line is the NBA could get a better product coming out of HS/College with a system like this, meaning their product becomes more valuable, meaning they make more money. I think a larger obstacle would be the player's union not wanting to give up guaranteed contracts.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Since I only really saw much of them during the tourney, can anyone who watched during the season fill me in on Booker? I really didn't see Booker do much that shows why he can jump to the NBA.

To me, he had/has one of the sweetest J's in college, just a straight sharpshooter. He may not be an above the rim ridiculous athlete, but he has a mean streak and is not afraid to get "dirty". In my opinion, he'll excel at the next level, I expected him to leave.

Reaction Score
Let's not try to rationalize this okay?

Calipari has a better reputation among recruits than our guy, and we don't like him because of it. (Well, that and the sanctions he's left in his wake at every other stop)

But whether or not he's scum has nothing to do with 7 players declaring for the draft, or whether or not he gets undue credit for "getting" them in the league. He's not out there saying "these kids would never be in the league if it weren't for me". He's saying "come play for me before you go to the league". We had a down year, but we hold our own against them in regular season games, and own them in the tourney. Who cares what he says/does. We're UConn, we'll be fine.

I've been a UConn fan for nearly 25 years. I know of many of the shady things he's done since his days at UMass. He's got a reputation of being a better recruiter than anyone, and it's not all on the up and up, so to speak. That's had something to do with the sanctions. He is very arrogant and is a self-promoter who only cares about his brand, his name. He once referred to an NBA ref as a "Mexican idiot". He has books published about how great of a coaching god he is, and "coins" phrases "refuse to lose" (UMass), "one and done", and "succeed and proceed" (Kentucky). People here are alluding to these things, and the original post you responded to suggested he has pushed/forced some of his former recruits out in this mass exodus. Thus pondscum. He games the system. I'm happy "our guy" does not.

Let me ask you a question: Why do you not like him? Many here have reasons such as the ones stated above and others.

And, yes, I'm sure he feels he deserves credit for getting them into the league. His ego's that big.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Just caught highlights of their press conference and it was cringe-worthy. They did the whole "stand up if you're going to the NBA" thing and then hesitated, looking at each other before standing. Everything's gotta be a little show with UK.

The Squid either has them on a really tight leash and fed them a line or that's a real group of dullards. "Um, what he said. I'm just chasing my dreams," the same comment all down the line. Makes me appreciate more thoughtful and articulate guys like Bazz and Boat who expressed genuine insight and emotion in their remarks to the press.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I don't know if that first paragraph is directed at me or not, but I'm not one of those morons. It's part of the reason I don't think people should criticize the "faux" students at UK. Those guys never wanted to be students, they wanted to be pro basketball players, but their hands were forced.

I don't know if the current situation is really the best for the NBA. I think my suggestion is better. They can draft a player, let him develop (without paying him), then take him when he and they are ready. And that player doesn't have to go to Australia (a la Daniels), he can develop under better coaching and against better talent right here in the states. They can also keep an eye on him easier making sure he's staying out of trouble, etc. The fact they'd be required to continue to be students should help them mature as well. The bottom line is the NBA could get a better product coming out of HS/College with a system like this, meaning their product becomes more valuable, meaning they make more money. I think a larger obstacle would be the player's union not wanting to give up guaranteed contracts.
My post was not directed at you. I also think its the best possible solution to our current predicament. Yet, just to play devil's advocate, at the same time I feel like its not fair for the players, despite being the best for the sport and the viewers. Basketball, as a sport, is unique in that players are able to contribute at a relatively early age. Thus, if your suggestion were to be implemented, it could potentially tie up players who did not see themselves as "straight out of HS players" yet rose to the occasion once put on the big stage. These guys (think D'Angelo Russel) would have committed to a school, yet due to the rules in place, would be forced to forego 2 years of their potential NBA career because they committed to their university. This may not seem like much, yet the NBA thrives on youth, it also represents the potential loss of millions of dollars.

Thats why, although I think your suggestion of a "straight out of HS or 3 year minimum in college" requirement would vastly improve the college product, it would cause harm to several players per year. Thats why I think a slightly modified version of that is best: either declare for the draft right out of high school, or commit to a university and be required to stay at least 2 years. Many people compare basketball to football and baseball which have the 3 year minimum in college requirements (baseball DOES allow straight out of HS drafting, but its very rare), yet the games are fundamentally different. Baseball, and ESPECIALLY football players, are not physically ready for the pro games, thats why those systems have worked. Yet basketball is a game where a truly extraordinary phenom can come in and make a difference right away (think Kobe, LeBron, McGrady, Garnett, Howard, etc), thus complicating the situation.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Just caught highlights of their press conference and it was cringe-worthy. They did the whole "stand up if you're going to the NBA" thing and then hesitated, looking at each other before standing. Everything's gotta be a little show with UK.

The Squid either has them on a really tight leash and fed them a line or that's a real group of dullards. "Um, what he said. I'm just chasing my dreams," the same comment all down the line. Makes me appreciate more thoughtful and articulate guys like Bazz and Boat who expressed genuine insight and emotion in their remarks to the press.
THIS. This is the thing that irks me the most as a non-fan. Every single action has to be made into a spectacle. Yet the unfortunate reality is that this is the current world we live in, where flash outweighs true substance, where you sell the "sizzle", not the "steak". Calipari may be a total scumbag, POS, yet he knows EXACTLY what he is doing, to the point where even the players committing to him dont know the psychology behind their own actions. He knows what kind of world we live in, and he finally has the reigns to a blue blood program with blue blood resources, letting him take his plan to the maximum. Every word that comes out of Cal's mouth is a sales/marketing pitch to next year's recruits watching on TV.

Reaction Score
My post was not directed at you. I also think its the best possible solution to our current predicament. Yet, just to play devil's advocate, at the same time I feel like its not fair for the players, despite being the best for the sport and the viewers. Basketball, as a sport, is unique in that players are able to contribute at a relatively early age. Thus, if your suggestion were to be implemented, it could potentially tie up players who did not see themselves as "straight out of HS players" yet rose to the occasion once put on the big stage. These guys (think D'Angelo Russel) would have committed to a school, yet due to the rules in place, would be forced to forego 2 years of their potential NBA career because they committed to their university. This may not seem like much, yet the NBA thrives on youth, it also represents the potential loss of millions of dollars.

Thats why, although I think your suggestion of a "straight out of HS or 3 year minimum in college" requirement would vastly improve the college product, it would cause harm to several players per year. Thats why I think a slightly modified version of that is best: either declare for the draft right out of high school, or commit to a university and be required to stay at least 2 years. Many people compare basketball to football and baseball which have the 3 year minimum in college requirements (baseball DOES allow straight out of HS drafting, but its very rare), yet the games are fundamentally different. Baseball, and ESPECIALLY football players, are not physically ready for the pro games, thats why those systems have worked. Yet basketball is a game where a truly extraordinary phenom can come in and make a difference right away (think Kobe, LeBron, McGrady, Garnett, Howard, etc), thus complicating the situation.

I think you're misunderstanding.

I would allow any player to leave at any time. They just have to finish the school year if they start. So an HS senior could go straight to the league if drafted. Or could go after one year, 2 years, or their third year. If they don't go after their third year. The team loses the rights and they are back in the draft (or a free agent).

There is no minimum in college. But if you enroll as a freshman, you must finish that year in good standing. It's basically four one year contracts for your scholarship (which is basically what scholarships are anyway).

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
not sure about most but around the time of his commitment there was alot of talk about his guardian basically shopping him to the highest bidder, plus his guardian created his own school so that Skal could have a team to play on. I think he actually attends another school for academics tho, not 100% sure on that one.
The modus operandi is that they take all on-line courses in the spring semester. However, surely they would never give their usernames and passwords to others to finish their assignments for them would they?

Reaction Score
With all due respect, this is probably the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time.

The players are not allowed to go to the NBA. How are the schools abusing anything? The NBA is to blame here, punishing the schools because the NBA won't allow kids directly from HS is crazy.
Sorry but I thought the purpose of a university of college was to educate. I didnt think it was atraining camp for the NBA. NCAA claims it is about EDUCATION then be so. The primary goal is to lost here by bafoons who think the purpose of the University is stadium crowds for their sports teams

Reaction Score
I've been a UConn fan for nearly 25 years. I know of many of the shady things he's done since his days at UMass. He's got a reputation of being a better recruiter than anyone, and it's not all on the up and up, so to speak. That's had something to do with the sanctions. He is very arrogant and is a self-promoter who only cares about his brand, his name. He once referred to an NBA ref as a "Mexican idiot". He has books published about how great of a coaching god he is, and "coins" phrases "refuse to lose" (UMass), "one and done", and "succeed and proceed" (Kentucky). People here are alluding to these things, and the original post you responded to suggested he has pushed/forced some of his former recruits out in this mass exodus. Thus pondscum. He games the system. I'm happy "our guy" does not.

Let me ask you a question: Why do you not like him? Many here have reasons such as the ones stated above and others.

And, yes, I'm sure he feels he deserves credit for getting them into the league. His ego's that big.
Dont forget he was an Assistant at Pittsburgh when they had problems. The one thig Calapari is great at is standing in the middle of a pigpen and being able to keep from stinking while others do!!!!

Reaction Score
I just don't understand how he gets all this credit for developing these kids.

Cal doesn't claim to develop any of these kids, what his narrative is that 'if you come to uk, you will get drafted' or 'garner NBA interest'. Simply put uk is an NBA farm.

The better the team plays the more scouts in attendance (very attractive to a starry eyed, cocky teenager). Remember he brought in the NBA Scouts during pre-season practice. As much as I don't care for Cal there is no doubt he is the greatest college basketball hustler of all time. He has found a way to make a whole lot of money and exploit the system and kids, but make it look like its all good. Being undefeated only buffered him and postponed any massive criticism. Not sure if we will ever see another coach like him.

Me personally I respect 'legitimate' hustlers, but that's more my lifestyle than anything else.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Kentucky is losing 7 players to the NBA and they are still ranked #1 in preseason poles. Pretty amazing actually.

Reaction Score
Sorry but I thought the purpose of a university of college was to educate. I didnt think it was atraining camp for the NBA. NCAA claims it is about EDUCATION then be so. The primary goal is to lost here by bafoons who think the purpose of the University is stadium crowds for their sports teams

You can neither spell buffoons right, nor use proper grammar. This conversation is clearly over your head troll.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I don't see the logic in Johnson and the Harrison twins declaring if they are projected 2nd round picks. Especially Johnson, with Cauley-Stein and Towns gone, he has a good chance to be the man at the #5 and could potentially catapult his stock.
Kentucky only has two years worth of fake classes. They had to go now.

Reaction Score
All these HS recruits citing how many guys Cal got "drafted" seem to forget that for every Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins Calipari has worked with, he has also had a Marquis Teague, Archie Goodwin types. Hype and physical potential gets these guys drafted, yet maybe about half of them realistically have what it takes to get a decent second contract. Yet glitz and glamour will always beat out facts.
Exactly, seems we're some of the only people who understand that some schools like UConn build NBA draft picks out of moderately rated recruits. University of Phoenix could "get these kids drafted" that Cal gets

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
These kids are SOOO short-sighted. It infuriates me.

If I were a bottom level 5* recruit, I'd look for a program that would allow me to get a good amount of PT as a freshman. I'd also be looking for a coach/system that would help me thrive. It'd have to be the right fit. Unless I absolutely dominated and was guaranteed a lottery pick after any year I wouldn't even consider going to the NBA. There are worse things than going to college, getting a degree, and being a celebrity on campus.

I understand that it's a lot of money to throw at a 18-20 yr old kid. BUT, if you leave early, and are a late 1st, sure you get paid, but more often than not, you wash out because you cant hack it. If you wait, and go when you're ready...you have a better chance of hanging in the league and making way more $ in the long term.

If the Harrisons think they've maxed out as players...then they're stupid. If that's true, any NBA team would be DUMB to pick them. They're not that good in college! How would they be able to hang with Westbrook?? He'd destroy them (he destroys everyone but still)

Dakari Johnson has wash-out written all over him. Hope he's got a good financial advisor, because he'll be working at a car wash in no time. (hopefully not the same car wash that spill recruiting rumors lol)

Reaction Score
These kids are SOOO short-sighted. It infuriates me.

When you think about it this is normal at that age. The issue here is that its a life changing decision. But short-sighted and young adult are one and the same.

What you need is either the 'NBA failures' to speak the truth or the 'coach'. However many kids think they are grown and will decide whatever they want, throwing hell to the wind. Its happens in basketball and in all of our houses.

What's the saying "I want what I want, and I want it now". I and I'm sure many others here fell victim to this type of thinking now just add in the potential (real or not) of making millions of dollars. With that on their mind how can a kid under 21 think straight?

Anyway, anyone raising teenagers can relate to your infatuation. LOL

Reaction Score
Just read this on the other site in an article about all the players leaving...has there been talk of Poythress transferring?

"Though Calipari now has to hit the recruiting trail to replenish half his roster, the outlook seems bright with the return of 5-9 guard Tyler Ulis, 6-9 forward Marcus Lee and possibly the 6-8 Poythress, who the coach said will talk with his family about his future. Kentucky also has three top recruits coming in."

Reaction Score
Just read this on the other site in an article about all the players leaving...has there been talk of Poythress transferring?

"Though Calipari now has to hit the recruiting trail to replenish half his roster, the outlook seems bright with the return of 5-9 guard Tyler Ulis, 6-9 forward Marcus Lee and possibly the 6-8 Poythress, who the coach said will talk with his family about his future. Kentucky also has three top recruits coming in."

There's been talk of him possibly going pro, I haven't heard anything about him transferring.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Only 7?

What about the rest of the guys?

Calipari couldn't get them ready to declare in one year?

What's the point of going to One-And-Done University if you have to go back for a second (or even a third) year?

He must suck as a coach.
Classic line in a Sunday NY Times articel "The worst thing Calipari can hear is "I am coming back"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom