7 Kentucky players declare | Page 3 | The Boneyard

7 Kentucky players declare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How to limit the one and done nonstudent athlete.
You cannotcontrol the player once he leaces but you can ompact the institutions abusing the process. Baseball wont pick a student until the 3rd year is completed. football 4 years. lets use 3 years of scholarship penality for early leaving. If a player leaves after 1 year his scholarship is frozen for 2 years. The school cannot use that scholarship for 2 more years. if he leaves after 2 years his scholarship is frozen for 1 year. It cannot be used the following year. If a team recruits 4 one and done the school will have 4 less scholarships in the following year and the year after that.

With all due respect, this is probably the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time.

The players are not allowed to go to the NBA. How are the schools abusing anything? The NBA is to blame here, punishing the schools because the NBA won't allow kids directly from HS is crazy.

Reaction Score
When the success of your program depends on several kids leaving early, something's wrong

Reaction Score
Fix the one and done is easy. Allow kids to go straight out of hs. If they go to college theyre locked in for a two year commitment. There you go. Problem solved.

Reaction Score
And of course every one of those kids will continue to go to, and pass all of their Spring term classes.
Well of course they won't. But UK will report it as such. And of course the NCAA will believe them.

Reaction Score
If Portis & Qualls return the SEC is all Razorbacks. Over and done. That ham is cooked, glazed and ready to be sliced in Razorback fashion.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
All these HS recruits citing how many guys Cal got "drafted" seem to forget that for every Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins Calipari has worked with, he has also had a Marquis Teague, Archie Goodwin types. Hype and physical potential gets these guys drafted, yet maybe about half of them realistically have what it takes to get a decent second contract. Yet glitz and glamour will always beat out facts.

Might be the reality is that some of these kids may be heading to academic problems - the Harrisons probably slid by as much as possible because anyone in their right mind knows neither will be NBA material. My guess is that Cal is heading to the Cavs. LBJ loves Cal but then again no one has confused LBJ with an educated soul. I don't see Cal staying at Kentucky IF the Cavs job opens up. I never thought their current choice as HC in Cleveland was anything more than a 1 or 2 year filler until LBJ mandated his choice.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fix the one and done is easy. Allow kids to go straight out of hs. If they go to college theyre locked in for a two year commitment. There you go. Problem solved.

Who exactly can enforce this?

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
All these HS recruits citing how many guys Cal got "drafted" seem to forget that for every Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins Calipari has worked with, he has also had a Marquis Teague, Archie Goodwin types. Hype and physical potential gets these guys drafted, yet maybe about half of them realistically have what it takes to get a decent second contract. Yet glitz and glamour will always beat out facts.

Archie has been coming into his own for the suns ever since they moved dragic and ennis. They brought in Brandon Knight but he's been hurt and is done for the season I believe.

Reaction Score
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL.

Well more technically, the MLBPA through their collective bargaining with MLB.

Well, there you go. That's probably a better deal for the NBA. The kids it wants right away, it gets, and for the rest of them, they develop for three years on somebody else's dime.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, there you go. That's probably a better deal for the NBA. The kids it wants right away, it gets, and for the rest of them, they develop for three years on somebody else's dime.

I can't even believe I'm responding to this.

Who do you think created the one and dones?

Spoiler: The NBA.

So clearly they disagree with you.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Kentucky will immediately replenish their ranks now.. Check Diallo (McD's AA MVP) 6'9 forward had kentucky top of the list and said he was just waiting to see which players declared. Seems as though there is sufficient space now. Can't forget about thon maker either, kentucky loses three 7'footers and a 6'10 power forward. A front court of Labbisierre Maker and Diallo makes me sick. They signed the top ranked guard in Briscoe, bring back ulis (who is great) and are apparently going all in for newman. Booker for some reason said he would be recruiting him even after declaring for the draft. Not to mention the upperclassmen presence of Poythress and Lee. Hopefully Cal screws himself again like he did at his last two jobs

Reaction Score
Might be the reality is that some of these kids may be heading to academic problems - the Harrisons probably slid by as much as possible because anyone in their right mind knows neither will be NBA material. My guess is that Cal is heading to the Cavs. LBJ loves Cal but then again no one has confused LBJ with an educated soul. I don't see Cal staying at Kentucky IF the Cavs job opens up. I never thought their current choice as HC in Cleveland was anything more than a 1 or 2 year filler until LBJ mandated his choice.
I wonder where LeBron would have gone on and done if he had to

Reaction Score
Kentucky will immediately replenish their ranks now.. Check Diallo (McD's AA MVP) 6'9 forward had kentucky top of the list and said he was just waiting to see which players declared. Seems as though there is sufficient space now. Can't forget about thon maker either, kentucky loses three 7'footers and a 6'10 power forward. A front court of Labbisierre Maker and Diallo makes me sick. They signed the top ranked guard in Briscoe, bring back ulis (who is great) and are apparently going all in for newman. Booker for some reason said he would be recruiting him even after declaring for the draft. Not to mention the upperclassmen presence of Poythress and Lee. Hopefully Cal screws himself again like he did at his last two jobs

Arkansas also added Jimmy "Buckets" & Teddy "Is Ready" Kapita. If Corliss talks Portis into staying at Arky then I am taking Arky as the clear fav over Kentucky any day of the week including Sunday. Even if by some miracle Cal lands ALL of the prospects you mention. Briscoe is no Booker. Also something tells me Newman may not buy into playing off the ball at all. He may initially make that sacrifice but I would watch out for some chemistry issues BTW TU & MN assuming they play on the same team. This year everyone bought in at Kentucky and they had a great season. That was an exceptional team.

Reaction Score
What about this?

They should allow the players to be drafted out of HS, or at any time, you don't have to declare. But what they have to do is get rid of guaranteed contracts. If the player opts for school then the player can go to (or stay in) school and the team retains the rights for up to 3 years. If, after any season, the team and the player feel he is ready, he can leave, but he'll have to earn his spot.

This way the Lebrons can go straight to the NBA. You'll get some one and done players but only because they are ready to leave and confident they'll earn a spot. You'll get some players, like Daniels last year, who can get drafted as a junior, come back and develop as a senior finish their degree, and then try to earn that spot. You'll get guys going to teams that can truly develop their talent. You'll inevitably end up with guys who don' t need college not making a mockery of it. Those who are unsure if they can earn that spot or not will have to continue to hit the books to stay eligible in school while they develop. Guys can have the security of a "preferred tryout" (guaranteed summer league spot/d league spot), while staying in school to earn their degree.

If a player is drafted but returns to/stays in school, he must remain academically eligible throughout the academic year, or the school will forfeit one scholarship for the next season, and the player is forced to pay a fine of 10% of his first contract to a reputable charity. So once you commit to school, you can't bail after the season, you have to finish that school year, and you're not eligible to play in the NBA until the summer league before the next season.

If you're drafted after exhausting your college eligibility, normal rules apply.

This system would be similar to baseball, except the teams retain rights. The NBA would have to beef up the D-League and add a round or two I think. One problem is how does a school manage scholarships? I think the easiest fix would be to keep the dates the same for declaring for the draft, except it would be declaring you're foregoing the rest of your eligibility.

So all the guys at Kentucky today, could have been drafted a year (or two) ago. The Harrison twins could stay, the guys worried about being second round picks could stay. The top talent in the country left undecided would have to pick among other schools. Maybe they have 10 draft picks on the roster, but only 5 are actually leaving. The other 5 are sticking around for a year or two.

I think this would be better for everyone.

Reaction Score
What about this?

They should allow the players to be drafted out of HS, or at any time, you don't have to declare. But what they have to do is get rid of guaranteed contracts. If the player opts for school then the player can go to (or stay in) school and the team retains the rights for up to 3 years. If, after any season, the team and the player feel he is ready, he can leave, but he'll have to earn his spot.

This way the Lebrons can go straight to the NBA. You'll get some one and done players but only because they are ready to leave and confident they'll earn a spot. You'll get some players, like Daniels last year, who can get drafted as a junior, come back and develop as a senior finish their degree, and then try to earn that spot. You'll get guys going to teams that can truly develop their talent. You'll inevitably end up with guys who don' t need college not making a mockery of it. Those who are unsure if they can earn that spot or not will have to continue to hit the books to stay eligible in school while they develop. Guys can have the security of a "preferred tryout" (guaranteed summer league spot/d league spot), while staying in school to earn their degree.

If a player is drafted but returns to/stays in school, he must remain academically eligible throughout the academic year, or the school will forfeit one scholarship for the next season, and the player is forced to pay a fine of 10% of his first contract to a reputable charity. So once you commit to school, you can't bail after the season, you have to finish that school year, and you're not eligible to play in the NBA until the summer league before the next season.

If you're drafted after exhausting your college eligibility, normal rules apply.

This system would be similar to baseball, except the teams retain rights. The NBA would have to beef up the D-League and add a round or two I think. One problem is how does a school manage scholarships? I think the easiest fix would be to keep the dates the same for declaring for the draft, except it would be declaring you're foregoing the rest of your eligibility.

So all the guys at Kentucky today, could have been drafted a year (or two) ago. The Harrison twins could stay, the guys worried about being second round picks could stay. The top talent in the country left undecided would have to pick among other schools. Maybe they have 10 draft picks on the roster, but only 5 are actually leaving. The other 5 are sticking around for a year or two.

I think a college players eligibility is to easily jeopardized within the context of the rules as applied today. We need to look closely at how we actually define "amateur status" and engage in intelligent conversation on the issue. Taking into consideration the parties who would take on that responsibility... leaves me pessimistic on coming to a reasonable resolution. Your post is interesting with many good points.

On that note I have passed my allotted # of posts for the week in 1 night. For that reason I am banning myself for a period of days starting right NOW!

Have a great week guys/girls :).

Reaction Score
I can't even believe I'm responding to this.

Who do you think created the one and dones?

Spoiler: The NBA.

So clearly they disagree with you.

Silver's already been talking about changing that rule. So, not so clear, I guess.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
What about this?

This is said ad nauseum, yet people don't seem to realize why the current system is even in place. The one year minimum is set by the NBA, not the NCAA so all these people barking at Emmert to make changes are morons.

Basically, NBA GMs want their cake and to eat it too. They don't want to invest millions of guaranteed money and a top 5 pick on an unproven 18 year old high school kid who could very likely be a total bust (Eddie Curry, Kwame Brown). They'd much rather enforce a one year minimum, and monitor the same kid for a year at the college level with much more competition and competent coaching. This way they can take less risk on his drafting and no one else can have him either until he declares. It's the best of both worlds for the NBA, which is why I don't see much change forthcoming.

Reaction Score
I don't see the logic in Johnson and the Harrison twins declaring if they are projected 2nd round picks. Especially Johnson, with Cauley-Stein and Towns gone, he has a good chance to be the man at the #5 and could potentially catapult his stock.
Most scouts have said Johnson is what he is and do not think his stock can really rise. In fact, I think the less you see him the better for his stock.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I highly doubt Calipari leaves UK this year. The Cavs have made zero indication they are looking for a coach, and Cal has it made at UK. He can do no wrong in the eyes of the fans and media there, why leave? Whereas in the NBA he would be held to unreachable standards and the media would be the exact opposite to him as they are now. They would constantly hound him, stirring up drama, especially if he doesn't win big right away. All the Cal to NBA talk is just that, talk from people hoping he leaves.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Silver's already been talking about changing that rule. So, not so clear, I guess.

LOL. Silver's proposed change is to increase the minimum age. So yes it's pretty clear the NBA and it's franchise owners don't want to draft high school players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom