50-44 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

50-44

Reaction Score
I'm not going to bury Gilbert because he's been a good kid, worked hard through injuries and I feel like his heart is in the right place.

That said, he's just not a point guard who knows how to control the flow of a game or direct an offensive game plan. You'd think with Taliek on staff, he'd have gotten better there because TB is arguably a top 3 UConn pure PG. It's frustrating to watch Gilbert take horrible shots or make poor decisions with the ball. Wow.
Taliek Brown arguably a top 3 UConn pure point guard, lol.

Reaction Score
I know it would suck. I know if we had that whole senior class. We’d be ranked. Jackson. Durham. Vital. Gilbert. Diaries. That’s your starting 5. What. Oils do been. However. If they stayed. Ko would have too.
You mean Enoch not “Diaries”? Those guys transferred because of Ollie... before Ollie was fired. So don’t bother bringing it up.

Reaction Score
The Ollie apologists used to use Gilbert injuries as an excuse for him losing.
Wait, so you don’t think Ollie would have been better with a healthy Gilbert?

And I guess you think Hurley would be better without Gilbert too?

Reaction Score
I bring it up because posters acting like Gilbert isn’t attached to Ollie “ he only played 9 games”. I don’t believe it was Ollies culture of program he just didn’t recruit good enough players. This is still Ollies team player wise just like it was Calhouns in Ollies 2nd year.

Reaction Score
Wait, so you don’t think Ollie would have been better with a healthy Gilbert?

And I guess you think Hurley would be better without Gilbert?
The team did great the games Gilbert played with Ollie LOL. They would be better if they recruited better players.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would recommend checking out box scores from 2003 and 2004. Tell me we couldn't use that point guard right about now. Sometimes you don't know what you had until it's gone.
The Taliek in 2003 was still chucking up bricks like Gilbert. It was the 2004 that left the shooting to those that could actually make shots and we won the whole thing. Gilbert misses more 3's in one game than Taliek took all that year.

Reaction Score
I bring it up because posters acting like Gilbert isn’t attached to Ollie “ he only played 9 games”. I don’t believe it was Ollies culture of program he just didn’t recruit good enough players. This is still Ollies team player wise just like it was Calhouns in Ollies 2nd year.
Danny Hurley would take a pg with Alterique Gilbert’s HS resume every single year forever.

Reaction Score
It’s possible to be a great kid with a lot of talent but lacking the ability to win. He contributes to keeping us in games but lacks the ability to close out. By definition he’s pretty good, but not good enough.

Reaction Score
Danny Hurley would take a pg with Alterique Gilbert’s

I hope Dan would take time to actually watch him and get to know him. Not just look at a resume. Unless he forgot how to shoot threes, make free throws, drive to the hoop, and control the ball im not sure what Ollie saw recruiting Gilbert.

Reaction Score
I hope Dan would take time to actually watch him and get to know him. Not just look at a resume. Unless he forgot how to shoot threes, make free throws, drive to the hoop, and control the ball im not sure what Ollie saw recruiting Gilbert.

Please stop

Reaction Score

Please stop
I hope you’re kidding. Stats don’t just transfer to next level. If you’re not sure about that look at Gilbert as an example. A good recruit shouldn’t peak in HS. How many great college players don’t translate into NBA players? Don’t be lazy like Ollie and just stand behind some HS numbers.

Reaction Score

It wasn't Calhouns year 2 because players were better than they were with JC. Griffey and Daniels were twice the players and Boat was better too. Not even saying it was Ollie who made them better sometimes it's pure maturity or maybe they liked playing for Ollie because JC was too tough for them I don't know. But it wasn't his team. Plus he was already here coaching the kids they were his team. And this is Hurleys team year 2 he's done a decent job thus far but need to see more. Certainly not on him his older guys can't make plays I do know that. But still a coach can win a game for his team when there are so many close ones. If you're not the slightest concerned for that then I don't know what to say.

Reaction Score

He saw the same thing as Louisville, Syracuse, Illinois, Georgia and so many others who were on his recruiting list. You can't be serious about this. You can critique him for not being who we thought he would be or even who he thought he would be now but he was a big time recruit on everyones radar. And he could shoot it a lot better but something is wrong. Not blaming injury or anything here, could be as simple as mechanics but we all should know he's not a 30% guy. Much of his problem is decisions as to where to trey to make plays not sure how that hasn't gone away or been corrected by him or someone but he's a better player than this. Wish he proved it to us all.

Reaction Score
Bazz, Kemba, Price, Williams, El-Amin, Sheffer if we're capping it at 6.
If you are talking 'pure' point guards, I'll give you Sheffer and maybe Bazz and Kemba although I think those 2 were more combo guards. El- Amin was also a combo guard. Taliek is up there for a couple reasons - 1st where he took his team and the fact he is the all-time assist leader with 722. As a matter of fact - George is 2nd with 677, Ollie 3rd with 619 and Sheffer 4th with 559 (although he averaged 26 games less so would have been higher on the list had he played more games).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Taliek used to get eaten alive for being turnover prone and not having a better jumper. Wasn’t until that BETC vs Pitt that he became everybody’s darling. How quickly we forget.

Taliek never became 'everybody's darling'. Most vilified player in Yard history, among heavy comp (Dyson et al). Some much so that Jim Calhoun had to out in his defense, not exactly his style.

Reaction Score
If you are talking 'pure' point guards, I'll give you Sheffer and maybe Bazz and Kemba although I think those 2 were more combo guards. El- Amin was also a combo guard. Taliek is up there for a couple reasons - 1st where he took his team and the fact he is the all-time assist leader with 722. As a matter of fact - George is 2nd with 677, Ollie 3rd with 619 and Sheffer 4th with 559 (although he averaged 26 games less so would have been higher on the list had he played more games).
Please stop, this is idiotic. I like you and don't want to have to put you on ignore.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If you think AG is the same physically as he was as a Jr. in high school,
you don't realize that a series of injuries and operations can affect you. It is a miracle that the kid is still playing and contributing. Only an idiot would attack him.
That said, I don't want to see the ball in his hands at the end of a close game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom