5 of 20 for 24 Passing Yards - Says It All. What Say You? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

5 of 20 for 24 Passing Yards - Says It All. What Say You?

Reaction Score
So here's a question for you. Based on what we've seen so far from Zion, would you consider putting in Puma next week if he were healthy? If no, then never mind. But if yes, then someone from the media ought to be doing their job. I was told last night from a seemingly knowledgable source that Puma has fully recovered and is ready to play-- but the coaches won't put him in. I'm certainly in no position to confirm, but questions should be asked.
This is exactly what I have been suggesting the whole time - nice to see you got a couple of likes. Zion needs a break and if we have anyone that can split time or take over for him, the timing is perfect next week.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Just an FYI:
View attachment 79146
Nonetheless, you are quite correct that they haven’t done anything yet at the collegiate level. To be honest, I don’t expect them to for over a year.
I am talking athletes actually enrolled and on campus. As was noted in my post. A lot can happen in 18 months. Come back in April 2024.

Reaction Score
Lots of talk about Zion but nothing about Charlton’s play calling. I still can’t get over the Millen call on 4th down out of a timeout. If it wasn’t year 1 the play calling on Saturday, specifically that play, were borderline fireable offenses.

Zion only attempted to throw the ball downfield maybe 3-4 times? When you’re down 40-50 all game what do you have to lose by taking shots? If your starting QB can’t even attempt to throw the ball down field, he shouldn’t be the QB or the play calling needs an overhaul.

I think these abysmal stats reflect on Charlton more than Zion. Was Zion able to execute Charlton’s terrible gameplan and play calls? No. But they were terrible to begin with so what else is he to do? Throwing the ball only 20 times all game when your star RB was out for most of the game and you are down by 40-50 is beyond me. Should have been 50 pass attempts. I know part of it was trying to keep the time of possession up to give the defense some resemblance of rest, but they gave up 59 anyways! So what exactly did you accomplish here Charlton. You set this season back. Wasn’t expecting a win and even a cover was tough but it was an utter embarrassment.

Other than most of the Utah State game where there was zero film on Chartlon’s offense they have been just as bad if not worst than the RE 2.0 teams. It’s simple. Charlton does not belong at this level if this is his play calling. He better change it or he deserves to be fired.

Reaction Score
Expecting more than 24 yards of passing is not asking too much of a QB in his 4th game. It's not asking too much of a QB in his first game. What were your expectations? 23 yards?
Expecting 24 yards is not asking too much of ME.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am talking athletes actually enrolled and on campus. As was noted in my post. A lot can happen in 18 months. Come back in April 2024.
No, you were talking about the one person recruiting class of a 7‘2“ local Connecticut kid with decent hands and feet and outstanding character. The reason why the class rank was low was there was only one person in it.

But you talked about that in response to someone who was referring to the third ranked 2023 recruiting class. I pointed out the ranking to you so you didn’t continue to wheel spin on it.

To the rest of The Boneyard, remember when trolls used to be better and actually do their homework? I do. No one takes any pride in their odd hobbies anymore.

Reaction Score
Though we were totally overmatched, I thought our play along the LOS was respectable. As often happens, especially when we play top teams, we shot ourselves in both feet time and again. A missed exchange leading to a turnover deep in our own territory, dropped passes on the few short, downfield attempts we tried, false start penalties, bad misses on swing passes.......against a top 4 team who will make you pay for every mistake. If we eliminate the unforced errors we probably cover and lose something like 49-6. But more importantly, we don't look so incompetent on national TV. That would be a huge positive at this point in time.

Reaction Score
Get lost with your silly nonsense. The idea is to play teams that have the same football finances as we do so the playing field is level, hopefully we can then gain some traction and turn this thing around like Temple did under Golden when they dropped down to the MAC.

You would rather we constantly try to run this football marathon uphill. It isn't working and its never going to work, and newsflash the fans DON'T like it. We have played two games this year that were enjoyable to watch and neither were against P5 opponents.
Temple never beat a MAC team that finished the season with a winning record the entire 4 years in the league and hasn't since either.

Reaction Score
I don’t know. I mean in 2019 Zergiotis as a freshman quarterback had 275 yards against Illinois in his first outing. He had 270 against Houston, 200 against UMass, 450 against ECU. You cannot tell me 17 yards passing ( Cale had the other 7) is the best we can do. Zion hasn’t come close to 200 in any game. And I do think this team has more talent than that one. Either the system is wrong, the player isnt getting it done or it is a combination of both. I mean he couldn’t through the ball down field against Central Connecticut. He couldn’t against Syracuse. He couldn’t against Michigan. Something isn’t right.

Reaction Score
I don’t know. I mean in 2019 Zergiotis as a freshman quarterback had 275 yards against Illinois in his first outing. He had 270 against Houston, 200 against UMass, 450 against ECU. You cannot tell me 17 yards passing ( Cale had the other 7) is the best we can do. Zion hasn’t come close to 200 in any game. And I do think this team has more talent than that one. Either the system is wrong, the player isnt getting it done or it is a combination of both. I mean he couldn’t through the ball down field against Central Connecticut. He couldn’t against Syracuse. He couldn’t against Michigan. Something isn’t right.
I agree. I hate to be negative or unfair to the team, but even with our injuries taken into consideration, the throwing numbers are really, truly horrible.

Almost any decent college athlete could throw for 17 yards in a game.

Reaction Score
wow, nailed it…The only thing I would add is that many of the passing yards he has thus far this season are yards picked up by receivers after the catch.

I am surprised that this is controversial here on BY because to me, the numbers speak for themselves.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
No, you were talking about the one person recruiting class of a 7‘2“ local Connecticut kid with decent hands and feet and outstanding character. The reason why the class rank was low was there was only one person in it.

But you talked about that in response to someone who was referring to the third ranked 2023 recruiting class. I pointed out the ranking to you so you didn’t continue to wheel spin on it.

To the rest of The Boneyard, remember when trolls used to be better and actually do their homework? I do. No one takes any pride in their odd hobbies anymore.
Note 2022, I did research. And the local kid came to UConn because of the NBE or because he's local? This was in response to a statement with no year given as to a great recruiting class. In today's world I wait until the athletes are on campus and have made an impact until I judge. Sorry you resorted to name calling or putting down me.

"And what have they done yet? And they came to UConn because of the NBE? Listed here as the 75th best.

2022 Recruit Basketball Team Rankings 75th here"

2022 Recruit Basketball Team Rankings

Reaction Score
UConn is not doing anyone any favor scheduling teams like UMichigan which only causes its players and fans to be embarrassed on national television.

The UConn schedule should only include teams from C-USA, sub Belt, MAC and like lower competition play.

Please no more games against the Big 10, SEC, Big 12, ACC, and PAC until the football team gets competitive.
These games are interesting to watch even if a blow out. Better than watching them lose to Akron 27-20

Reaction Score
These games are interesting to watch even if a blow out. Better than watching them lose to Akron 27-20
I don’t mind playing a Michigan or an Ohio State or somebody every year. Unfortunately this year, Michigan is a top 5 team, plus NC State is top 15 and Syracuse is far better than anyone thought, probably top 25, and we have them back to back to back…a pretty brutal stretch. In a more normal year, neither NC State nor Syracuse would be as good as they are now. NC State is usually Solid, occasionally a top 25ish team but Mostly 8-4 ish.

Reaction Score
Note 2022, I did research. And the local kid came to UConn because of the NBE or because he's local? This was in response to a statement with no year given as to a great recruiting class. In today's world I wait until the athletes are on campus and have made an impact until I judge. Sorry you resorted to name calling or putting down me.

"And what have they done yet? And they came to UConn because of the NBE? Listed here as the 75th best.

2 questions for you. Who are you replying to? Are you aware that the BY has a Basketball Board for this type of conversation?

Reaction Score

Now look at 2023.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The whole thread was because of the football team and the athletic department and what the conference the school moved to and whether that move hurt the program. Metsfan2323 started the conversation here about the move.

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
2 questions for you. Who are you replying to? Are you aware that the BY has a Basketball Board for this type of conversation?
Not you. CL82 and Metsfan I am a UConn supporter, CT resident, CT taxpayer, not a sycophant of any program.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
You are correct. I started responding to a thread started by Metsfan2323. I should have ignored that.

Reaction Score
The best throw Zion made this year was the TD pass to Marion (who of course got hurt on it). So he has some sort of skill to move the ball vertically… WR injuries, drops and the inability of the play calling to get said WR open has victimized him. The o line is playing great at least and against most teams we play this year a healthy Carter could open things up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Piecing this all together with the QB's, Cale and Tyler Phommachanh have been running the Scout Team offense during the week and not prepping to take snaps under center for UConn.
That is how shorthanded the QB room has been this season.

Reaction Score
Piecing this all together with the QB's, Cale and Tyler Phommachanh have been running the Scout Team offense during the week and not prepping to take snaps under center for UConn.

You’re just now figuring this out? Do you think most other programs have 5-7 QBs out of vanity?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That highlights why 105 isn’t enough for depth. Tyler Phommachanh was apparently doing scoundrel team duty which means he was getting reps with the offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom