5 Game Player Analysis | The Boneyard

5 Game Player Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think after a 5 game sample, players can be evaluated and we can predict their role this season.

1. Kelly Faris- all everything player for this team. She is hard nosed on defense and always disrupting passing lanes. This season her shooting efficiency has skyrocketed. She can no longer be a liability on offense, even though she doesn't put up 15 a night. She doesn't need to.

2. Caroline Doty- She seems more mobile and quick since last season. Has a better shooting touch. She is seeing limited minutes with so much talent. I like her leadership and scrappy play thus far. She will be rock solid all season long.

3. KML- I love her game this season. More than just scoring. Her FG % seems better to me and she is playing better within the offense. Her rebounding and heart are not unnoticed. Complete player. I can see her landing on an AA team this season.

4. Stef Dolson- complete 180 from last season. She has gotten so much better and who would have thought that was possible. Her assist numbers are gaudy for a center and she even has the poise to take the 3 point shot. Her mobility is amazing, something I never saw coming when I first saw her two seasons ago.

5. Bria Hartley- So happy she is healthy and playing. She is still a bit rusty, but nice to see her knock down her shot tonight. She will be steady

6. Heather Buck- 11th player off the bench. Comfortable with that role which is never going to change. I hope for her she gets everything she wants out of her final season.

7. Brianna Banks- Improved. All that needs to be said. I think people think she is better than she is. I think she will be a solid bench player but won't play a big role in big games until next season.

8. Kiah Stokes- Like banks, has improved so much. Block machine. She too could play a big role on another D1 program. She will be a solid body off the bench.

9. Moriah Jefferson- Struggling to adjust. She looked more poised the final two games of the tournament. Limiting TO's and scoring from the field. She is 8-8 from the line and has a wonderful handle on the ball. She will be a solid bench player. Probably the freshman with the least impact. She will grow and mature to be a baller next season.

10. Morgan Tuck- So calm and composed. I like her inside out game and ability to put the ball on the floor. Her ability to stay calm will lend herself to playing time in big games. She can put points up quietly. She is an all around complete player.

11. Breanna Stewart.- Last but not least. Paradise Jam 2012 Tournament MVP. Leading Scorer. She is just that, a scorer. She makes it look effortless and at some times boring. She will be special. She has so much potential. I think she will be the best player on this team this season.

Overall, this team has surpassed my expectations. I can totally see an 8th NC this season. So many pieces that can contribute.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I think after a 5 game sample, players can be evaluated and we can predict their role this season.

1. Kelly Faris- all everything player for this team. She is hard nosed on defense and always disrupting passing lanes. This season her shooting efficiency has skyrocketed. She can no longer be a liability on offense, even though she doesn't put up 15 a night. She doesn't need to.

2. Caroline Doty- She seems more mobile and quick since last season. Has a better shooting touch. She is seeing limited minutes with so much talent. I like her leadership and scrappy play thus far. She will be rock solid all season long.

3. KML- I love her game this season. More than just scoring. Her FG % seems better to me and she is playing better within the offense. Her rebounding and heart are not unnoticed. Complete player. I can see her landing on an AA team this season.

4. Stef Dolson- complete 180 from last season. She has gotten so much better and who would have thought that was possible. Her assist numbers are gaudy for a center and she even has the poise to take the 3 point shot. Her mobility is amazing, something I never saw coming when I first saw her two seasons ago.

5. Bria Hartley- So happy she is healthy and playing. She is still a bit rusty, but nice to see her knock down her shot tonight. She will be steady

6. Heather Buck- 11th player off the bench. Comfortable with that role which is never going to change. I hope for her she gets everything she wants out of her final season.

7. Brianna Banks- Improved. All that needs to be said. I think people think she is better than she is. I think she will be a solid bench player but won't play a big role in big games until next season.

8. Kiah Stokes- Like banks, has improved so much. Block machine. She too could play a big role on another D1 program. She will be a solid body off the bench.

9. Moriah Jefferson- Struggling to adjust. She looked more poised the final two games of the tournament. Limiting TO's and scoring from the field. She is 8-8 from the line and has a wonderful handle on the ball. She will be a solid bench player. Probably the freshman with the least impact. She will grow and mature to be a baller next season.

10. Morgan Tuck- So calm and composed. I like her inside out game and ability to put the ball on the floor. Her ability to stay calm will lend herself to playing time in big games. She can put points up quietly. She is an all around complete player.

11. Breanna Stewart.- Last but not least. Paradise Jam 2012 Tournament MVP. Leading Scorer. She is just that, a scorer. She makes it look effortless and at some times boring. She will be special. She has so much potential. I think she will be the best player on this team this season.

Overall, this team has surpassed my expectations. I can totally see an 8th NC this season. So many pieces that can contribute.

You have seriously under-estimated Brianna Banks. She will be a major player this year, and for two more seasons after. She will be a high 1st round draft choice for the WNBA. BB is a BIG TALENT !!!!!!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with everything you said except the comments about Brianna Banks. Stef has not done a complete 180. She has continued to improve and we say flashes of what she's doing now last year. Banks, on the other hand, has done a complete 180. She's a far different player than she was last year in every way. Offense, defense, confidence, ball handling, you name it

I agree with OC. She's got the defensive abilities of Ashley Battle with much more offensive pop. It will be fun to watch her develop the next 3 years.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Brianna Banks was the second player off the bench last night after Bria. And she has been fabulous here at the Paradise Jam. Try wayching her play without your preconcieved notions next time and you might see something special.

Yes, KML and Stef have upped their games but it must be recognized that they've benefitted mightily by Breanna Stewart's presence on the floor. Stef has a much easier time scoring when she's not the focus of the defense as she was last year.

Reaction Score
Brianna Banks was the first player off the bench last night, subbed in for Caroline. And she has been fabulous here at the Paradise Jam. Try wayching her play without your preconcieved notions next time and you might see something special.

Agree completely with the comments making corrections to the original post view of BB. She is playing with the athleticism and confidence that bring to mind the original MJ # 23. You've got to get over your disappointment (and perhaps even hostility) from last year, RBlack335! BB is an amazingly good success story. Give her the credit she deserves for it and celebrate it - - those types of stories don't happen very often to the extent we see with BB. Few people in life have the initiative to make that type of transformation.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
According to the play-by-play

Hartley came in for Faris at 15:46.

Banks came in for Stewart at 14:01.

Stokes and Faris came in for Dolson and Doty at 12:27.
Gee thanks. That wasn't the point of my post, btw. My point is that BB isn't a scrub role player that Geno brings in when the game is decided.

Reaction Score
I think MJ could be a great force if she learns how to draw fouls ala the ND guards the past few years. Seems she could draw a foul any time she wants to.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Gee thanks. That wasn't the point of my post, btw. My point is that BB isn't a scrub role player that Geno brings in when the game is decided.

LOL...no problem.

I know it wasn't your point. I agree 100% with you.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What about Mo Jeff's performance in the last quarter of the game?
Flashes of a dominating, unstoppable point

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
LOL...no problem.

I know it wasn't your point. I agree 100% with you.

Masterfully done. First you document the flaw in the main point of Husky Nan's eyewitness account (BB first off the bench). Then, when mildly chastised, you manage to mend a seriously broken fence by agreeing "100%" with her.

I am uncertain how to react to your new diplomatic and conciliatory tone. Either coin a new term for "PC" (Poster Correctness instead of Political Correctness) or call the FBI (they already have your file) and tell them to lay off Jill Kelley and instead focus on the mysterious behavioral change by DD on the Boneyard.

(Rather than lose a valued Boneyard goombah, I gave you a "like" for your olive branch post, cited above.)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Boneyard thrives on finding spelling errors, correcting small factual errors, etc. It's no biggie.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Masterfully done. First you document the flaw in the main point of Husky Nan's eyewitness account (BB first off the bench). Then, when mildly chastised, you manage to mend a seriously broken fence by agreeing "100%" with her.

I am uncertain how to react to your new diplomatic and conciliatory tone. Either coin a new term for "PC" (Poster Correctness instead of Political Correctness) or call the FBI (they already have your file) and tell them to lay off Jill Kelley and instead focus on the mysterious behavioral change by DD on the Boneyard.

(Rather than lose a valued Boneyard goombah, I gave you a "like" for your olive branch post, cited above.)
No change. I'm always conciatory to Nan. Ya never know when it might save you a banning after being a total jerk to someone else...lol.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The Boneyard thrives on finding spelling errors, correcting small factual errors, etc. It's no biggie.
Yes they do Nan, they must feast on my posts. LOL Its like a turkey dinner. LOL

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

There is a big difference in spelling errors and this particular factual error. It doesn't minumize your point about Banks being in the regular rotation. She has been terrific.

Once Geno settles in on the starting lineup, it will be interesting to see who is coming off the bench first.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For me, if Im Geno you have Caroline Bria and BB and they all could start. There just isnt any room right now. Everybody on this roster is deserving of playtime. Just so much talent. If Purdue dosnt shoot 60%+ from 3 how much do they lost by? Teams who cant shoot the trey againest UConn will have problems. Teams who are big and can shoot the trey have a slim chance. The only game that concerns me this season is the Stanford game because its at Stanford and my concern is foul trouble to key players. If its called like yesterday where bodies were flying and no fouls I like our chances but I dont think that happens in Palo Alto.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think we are all so used to a 6/7 player rotation from previous years that we are having a hard time getting our heads around a 10 player rotation. I do not see a player in that ten who could not end up playing the most minutes in a particular game - depending on match-ups and the hot hand. Last night 9 players were over 15 minutes and Tuck player 14.

Reaction Score
Agree completely with the comments making corrections to the original post view of BB. She is playing with the athleticism and confidence that bring to mind the original MJ # 23. You've got to get over your disappointment (and perhaps even hostility) from last year, RBlack335! BB is an amazingly good success story. Give her the credit she deserves for it and celebrate it - - those types of stories don't happen very often to the extent we see with BB. Few people in life have the initiative to make that type of transformation.

BB's athleticism and confidence brings to your mind a comparison with Michael Jordan? Seriously??

Reaction Score

Whatever Breanna is on the court, she is never boring. For a freshman, at times dominant, as a senior she has unlimited ability. She will be one of the best, if not the best women's college player ever because she wants to get better, always.

Reaction Score
BB's athleticism and confidence brings to your mind a comparison with Michael Jordan? Seriously??

Yeah, the CWBB equivalent of tremendous athleticism/body control. Obviously MJ on BB would be silly to see - there is no comparison to the one and only MJ, but yeah, when I watch some of what she does in the context of a WBB game it brings to mind what MJ used to do in the obviously much more competitive context of the NBA. An analogy to their individual contexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom