#4 prospect 2021 interested in any top school but UConn... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

#4 prospect 2021 interested in any top school but UConn...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
They came...they saw...they were conquered.

Reaction Score
Since the UConn women have averaged over 35 games a year for some time ...
Apropos of almost nothing, this got me thinking. How long has Uconn averaged 35+ wins? I looked it up. 20 years, that's how long. Since 1999-2000, the Huskies have averaged 35.25 wins per season. You'd have to include the 29 win 1998-1999 season to see the team dip to a measly 34.95 wins per.

Let's not forget this is 35 wins we're talking about here, a total relatively few teams have managed even once, never mind over a 20 year period. 35 is sort of a gold standard. You win 35 games in even once and you've done something.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
There always has to be one, I guess.

Easier to make up a story than believe that some people don't want to play for UConn.

It comes with the territory of being top dogs. They're either dying to play for you or dying to beat you. As we found out from Paige, Ania, Nika, and Evina, there are still plenty in the "dying to play for you" category.

I think her comment is odd. Saying she used to be a UConn fan. So they choke a few times in the final four and now you want out?

It’s an odd comment either way.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think her comment is odd. Saying she used to be a UConn fan. So they choke a few times in the final four and now you want out?
She definitely didn't say this (bolded part) is the reason she no longer a UCONN fan.
UCONN also didn't "choke" in those games, so you are being doubly reckless with your conjecture.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
She definitely didn't say this (bolded part) is the reason she no longer a UCONN fan.
UCONN also didn't "choke" in those games, so you are being doubly reckless with your conjecture.

I wouldn’t have have even given her comment a second thought if she didn’t say she used to be a UConn fan.

And yes they did. Very much so. Not as much this year though (although missing wide open layups is far more mental than physical)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t have have even given her comment a second thought if she didn’t say she used to be a UConn fan. And yes they did. Very much so. Not as much this year though (although missing wide open layups is far more mental than physical)
You trying to convince me that you actually put some though into this is very wasteful.

Reaction Score
Who ever made that remark, well, that says a lot about that person. I hope that this post is the last to be made about that comment and that person because she does not deserve to have any more air spoken about her. Moderators, close this down.

Reaction Score

They didn't choke. They ran into a mismatch problem one year. They got robbed by the refs another. And they had a lack of depth the third year. Geno should have at least two more championships and one was during this three year period. It sucks that the team has to be that much better than everyone else (ND) to avoid having the refs hand it to the other team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
They didn't choke. They ran into a mismatch problem one year. They got robbed by the refs another. And they had a lack of depth the third year. Geno should have at least two more championships and one was during this three year period. It sucks that the team has to be that much better than everyone else (ND) to avoid having the refs hand it to the other team.
In the interest of decorum if for no other reason, can we avoid unsubstantiated charges of EITHER "choking" or referee incompetence? Can we not allow for the fact that there is some randomness in the outcome of close basketball games, which increases when the outcome is decided in the final seconds?

If one team is massively superior (as UConn was in the Stewie years), randomness is rarely a significant factor, But if two teams are quite evenly matched, as UConn has been with Mississippi State and Notre Dame in the last three years, random events can and did decide games.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But if two teams are quite evenly matched, as UConn has been with Mississippi State and Notre Dame in the last three years, random events can and did decide games.

There can be randomness in a one-game format, but UConn was not evenly matched with those teams. They were 22-1/2 point favorites over Mississippi State for a reason. They were about a 14-point favorite against Notre Dame and had a 7-point lead with 6 minutes to play. Statistically, the 17-18 UConn squad was one of the most dominant teams in history, #1 in the nation in both offense and defense. While Notre Dame was #2 in offense, they were around 50th defensively.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In the interest of decorum if for no other reason, can we avoid unsubstantiated charges of EITHER "choking" or referee incompetence? Can we not allow for the fact that there is some randomness in the outcome of close basketball games, which increases when the outcome is decided in the final seconds?

If one team is massively superior (as UConn was in the Stewie years), randomness is rarely a significant factor, But if two teams are quite evenly matched, as UConn has been with Mississippi State and Notre Dame in the last three years, random events can and did decide games.
Decorum? The BY has long established every UCONN WCBB loss MUST BE absurdly attributed to one or more of the following:
a) UCONN player(s) choked.
b) The refs were incompetent.
b.1) Dee Kantner called the game and she hates UCONN.
c) ND flopped.
c.1 Skylar Diggins exaggerated contact.
c.2 Madison Cable undercuts.
c.3 Michaela Mabrey is the worst.
c.4 Marina Mabrey is worst than her sister.
c.5 Arike is a dirty player.
d) Geno got outcoached.
d.1 By Tara, Muffet, Vic , Jeff ( really?), or Kim
e) Geno can't recruit.
e.1) Geno can't recruit bigs.
f) Geno is too stubborn.
g) The team was obviously missing Marissa Mosley.
h) Geno didn't give her (them) enough minutes.
i) If none of the above apply then the other team just got lucky.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

There is randomness involved all the time in basketball. Players have good and bad shooting games throughout the season. Randomness also includes many other factors. Injuries, matchups with the right or wrong teams in the playoffs. Basketball, more than any other sport is highly influenced by Matchups and Timing. The better team will often lose in a single elimination situation. Teams do not have to be that evenly matched for randomness/timing to have a major influence. They just have to be close enough in ability for the lesser teams good game to be enough to beat a superior team's lesser game. Hay the other day the Liberty beat the Aces. That happens all the time in the NBA.

In past years Uconn was just too superior for another's teams best effort to defeat them. In the present WCBB universe, there are more team capable of beating the top teams under the right conditions. I don't understand why this is so difficult for people to grasp. If the games are close randomness might have an impact on the outcome. If a team is ahead by 20 points a couple of bad calls will mean little. If the game is close then it might make a difference between winning and losing. When there is more parity, randomness/timing will decide far more games. I mean does anyone really believe that TA&M was the superior team when they beat Baylor in the NCAA's playoffs after they had lost 3 times to them in that same season. TA&M really needed a lot of luck to win the championship that season. The first of which was them playing their A game when Baylor played their C or lesser game. That good fortune than was extended when teams that would have have been difficulty matchups for them were knocked out by other teams.

Reaction Score

Look at the box score from the 2018 final four game and tell me that was random. Compare that game, and the result, to the games against ND just before and just after that game and tell me it was random.

Sure, there is noise in terms of how players and refs perform but not THAT much noise!

Reaction Score
Spot-on, @Engineer90. Some of the referees’ calls against UCONN were very bad; the box score reveals that the refs gave ND 23 trips to the charity stripe vs. just 6 for UCONN—nearly a 4 to 1 ratio in favor of the Irish.

Bad refereeing cost UCONN not only the 2018 semifinal game, but also an excellent chance at winning another national championship.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
From ESPNW:

"As for college, Rivers wants to choose a school by next summer. She seems open to just about any top program -- except for the 11-time national champions.

"I used to be a UConn fan," said Rivers, who lists biology as her favorite class. "But now all I can think of is that I want to beat UConn.""

Looks like Geno and CD have their work cut out for them if they want her. At least she's not a big. I think I remember hearing here on the BY that we need bigs. :)

She’ll have to take a number. Every Division 1 team wants to be the next team to take down Goliath. Depending on the program she commits to, she may never get that chance, in that her team may never face UConn. After reading that article, it made me wonder what soured her on UConn after she had been a long time fan. Can it be (as a poster here suggested) that her love affair with UConn was unrequited? :eek:

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Things may have changed because Rivers and coach Jasmine Lister are now following one another on Instagram.

A week ago Geno and Shea took in at least one AAU game in which Rivers was playing though there were other UConn players of interest in that one too.

Reaction Score
Eh, but she said she had wanted to, now she doesn't. Easier to believe something changed her mind. And not only that she just didn't want to play for UCONN now, but she wants to beat them now. Not the same as not being interested in UCONN.
UConn had no interest.

Reaction Score
"I wanted to be the piece, not a piece in a program," she told The Oregonian. "Both Oregon and Washington help me with that goal. At other schools, I was just 'a piece,' and they would be fine if I didn't go there, because they would have enough tools to still be able to win. Both of those schools make me feel like I'm really needed."

Yeah UConn wasn’t right for her.
She made Oregon. Still 0-4 NCs

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn had no interest.

Figured something must have gone on with Rivers' recruitment to have this thread pop up again.

UConn definitely has interest in Rivers, either way.

Reaction Score
Things may have changed because Rivers and coach Jasmine Lister are now following one another on Instagram.

A week ago Geno and Shea took in at least one AAU game in which Rivers was playing though there were other UConn players of interest in that one too.
Hmm. Jas still shows herself as a UConn Women's BB assistant coach on Instagram. I wouldn't have guessed that at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom