3 seed | Page 9 | The Boneyard

3 seed

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They have a worse record, are 14 slots behind us in the metric the Committee uses, and are missing a starter.

THey’re playing just fine without that starter, so penalizing them for that is weird.

They have a better Big East record and they have a 2-0 record in games in which both Xavier and UConn took part.

This isn’t hard. JFC.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
THey’re playing just fine without that starter, so penalizing them for that is weird.

They have a better Big East record and they have a 2-0 record in games in which both Xavier and UConn took part.

This isn’t hard. JFC.
And the number 1 overall seed is 0-1 against us.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That’s what I said. Favorable 5. Unfavorable 13. No other 4 is playing a 13 that’s playing in their home state. Should have given us Kent State and sent Iona to play IU. But the media is already salivating over the matchup. I always wonder how much influence TV has. Why are Houston, Texas and A&M in the same bracket? Has to be TV.
I'm not overly concerned with playing Iona in Albany. We could play them in New Rochelle and still have 80% of the fans.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I think everyone except Dukie V has us at a minimum in the final four.

Reaction Score
They beat us twice, finished ahead of us in the Big East and went deeper into the Big East Tournament than we did.

I don’t think we even have an argument about this.
All true. I have no problem with it. But as I said, their 2 wins against us were probably the difference. If they split they both finish 14-6 in the Big East. I'm not sure how the tiebreakers would have gone between UConn, Xavier and Creighton for the seeds in the BET (all would have gone 14-6). But after seeing how the BET played out I have to believe that UConn gets to the BET final if they're the 2 or 3 seed. So again, the 2 losses to Xavier were the difference.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
They beat us twice, finished ahead of us in the Big East and went deeper into the Big East Tournament than we did.

I don’t think we even have an argument about this.
Fine. Case closed.

And now to the present...

Who do you think is better today, UConn or Xavier?

Who are you rooting for in the NCAA Tournament?

If it's UConn, when do you start?

If it's not obvious, why not?

There's a reason you're getting nominations in another thread.

You're not being attacked, you're being summoned. If you're in, then say so. This isn't hard.

The Boneyard turns its lonely eyes to you...

Reaction Score
Clemson finished with 23 wins, 2 wins better than NC State in the ACC standings, throttled NC State 3 times! beat Pitt once. Ouch, that hurts.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That’s what a bunch of were saying during our BE play. We had bad losses and didn’t close out games against the top 3. We were more what our BE record was than our OOC record. We beat St. John’s, Seton Hall, and split with Xavier we’re a lock
Do those three, and we'd be a lock for a two.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
They have a worse record, are 14 slots behind us in the metric the Committee uses, and are missing a starter.
That is indeed an argument.

Only fools, bullies, and insecure people try the 'don't even have an argument' gambit.

To be fair, he allowed himself some room by owning it as a thought, rather than a pronouncement . But then he couldn't resist the desperate attempt at a double haymaker to silence you.

A mature & reasonable person could make your argument, and a counterpart mature & reasonable person could allow for your having offered an argument and nevertheless simply stand pat with an already-rendered judge's decision.

Live by the throat punch, die by the throat punch.

Reaction Score
That’s what I said. Favorable 5. Unfavorable 13. No other 4 is playing a 13 that’s playing in their home state. Should have given us Kent State and sent Iona to play IU. But the media is already salivating over the matchup. I always wonder how much influence TV has. Why are Houston, Texas and A&M in the same bracket? Has to be TV.
I do too. I just have a hard time thinking the committee organically came to the match up of Kentucky vs Providence

Reaction Score
J Bilas has UConn cutting down the nets.
Jay Bilas and Doug Gottlieb vehemently picked UConn in 2004. Gottlieb picked UConn beating Oklahoma St in the Finals for that year. Well so did most of the country and most people penned UConn into the championship when filling out their brackets instead of the usual round-by-round procession. I guess I got nothing add here ;)

caw

Reaction Score
It is an interesting comparison looking at the first weekend teams.

UConn, Iona, VCU and SMC.

Iona and VCU have a combined three games against P6 teams (VCU lost against ASU and beat Pitt and Vandy). SMC has their games against the Zags and wins against Vandy/SDST and losses to Houston/Washington.

Iona/VCU/SMC have a combined 8 Q1 games this year with 3 wins.

On the other hand:

X, Kennesaw St, ISU and one of Pitt/Mississippi St.

Kennesaw State lost to UF, SDSU and Indiana (also a head to head to VCU by three). Then ISU who has 21 Q1 games and went 10-11 in those games. Not to mention another 5 games against P6 teams where they went 3-2. So 13-13 against top competition. Not great but they are tested and have a 50/50 shot of beating good teams, they swept Baylor and TCU, beat KU, beat Texas and beat KSU. Even Pitt has more Q1 wins than Iona/VCU and SMC combined. Same for Mississippi St.

Not saying UConn will win both games or that the teams in X's grouping are better but X has a much more battle tested group this first weekend.

IMO BTW South is the easiest region. The other three are all pretty even unless UConn plays to it's potential.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Jay Bilas and Doug Gottlieb vehemently picked UConn in 2004. Gottlieb picked UConn beating Oklahoma St in the Finals for that year. Well so did most of the country and most people penned UConn into the championship when filling out their brackets instead of the usual round-by-round procession. I guess I got nothing add here ;)
Are you sure about Gottlieb? He's blasted UConn at every opportunity from the second he started working. Evidently this evening he's already been saying something along the lines of UConn not being able to beat Iona because we don't have a point guard.

Remember, this is the same tool who claimed Bucknell would knock us off in the first round in 2011.

Reaction Score
Are you sure about Gottlieb? He's blasted UConn at every opportunity from the second he started working. Evidently this evening he's already been saying something along the lines of UConn not being able to beat Iona because we don't have a point guard.

Remember, this is the same tool who claimed Bucknell would knock us off in the first round in 2011.
yeah I am sure. He was singing the praises of that 2004 team. I know that's not exactly going out on a limb but he had UConn vs Oklahoma St in the finals, that I know for sure. I might be wrong on him picking UConn over Ok St. though.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
yeah I am sure. He was singing the praises of that 2004 team. I know that's not exactly going out on a limb but he had UConn vs Oklahoma St in the finals, that I know for sure. I might be wrong on him picking UConn over Ok St. though.
Fair enough. Very surprising as a) he has always dumped on UConn and b) he played for Eddie Sutton at Oklahoma St.

I have a laundry list of him blasting UConn for about two decades.

Some of his best (paraphrasing):

I have relatives in Connecticut so my family knows the school well. It's a safety school for kids that can't get into a safety school.

Jim Calhoun tried recruiting me out of high school and continued coming after me after I told him I would never play there. He told me I was the best point guard out there and that he would be the most important player on the team from day one (same recruiting class as Ricky Moore so he would have played one year with Ray). I told him I couldn't do it to myself and I couldn't do it to my family (attend UConn).

He picked against UConn in every tournament game played in each of our last two national titles (and was adamant that we couldn't win prior to each game).

He has fabricated most of the negative comments and for whatever reason has an enormous anti-UConn chip on his shoulder.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Very surprising as a) he has always dumped on UConn and b) he played for Eddie Sutton at Oklahoma St.

I have a laundry list of him blasting UConn for about two decades.

Some of his best (paraphrasing):

I have relatives in Connecticut so my family knows the school well. It's a safety school for kids that can't get into a safety school.

Jim Calhoun tried recruiting me out of high school and continued coming after me after I told him I would never play there. He told me I was the best point guard out there and that he would be the most important player on the team from day one (same recruiting class as Ricky Moore so he would have played one year with Ray). I told him I couldn't do it to myself and I couldn't do it to my family (attend UConn).

He picked against UConn in every tournament game played in each of our last two national titles (and was adamant that we couldn't win prior to each game).

He has fabricated most of the negative comments and for whatever reason has an enormous anti-UConn chip on his shoulder.
Interesting that Gottlieb would say those things, especially the safety school thing. Even in the mid 90s UConn was considered a very good public school and now it's considered great. hmmmm. .... I don't know what his issue.

It's interesting because I just thought of another time he praised the job Calhoun did when winning in 2011. He stated, "you have to have been in Storrs to know that there really is no town, it's a college just placed in a rural area and that what Calhoun has done is amazing".

Maybe I just tuned him out after awhile as I know he can have some asinine takes ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom