OT: - 21st century CBB Mt. RUSHMORE | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: 21st century CBB Mt. RUSHMORE

Reaction Score
Larry Bird singlehandedly took Indiana State to the title game, Curry singlehandedly knocked off the Zags, Georgetown, and Wisconsin before taking Kansas to the brink. McDermott was a great college scorer who rebounded well but couldn't pass and played zero defense. It's insane anyone compared him to Larry Bird.
It's not insane. It seems like the BY think its very rational. And we are offering actual statistical evidence. I have always enjoyed your commentary on this yard and I still do. But I have rarely seen you give an inch to an opposing view.

Reaction Score
Too many to name.... There were so many great players over the years...

My List of 5:

Kareem
Walton
Pistol Pete
Steve Alford
Isiah Thomas

Surely the last 2 can be replaced by many names but they do deserve a mention.
We are sticking to 21st century just to narrow it down. But I like this list. I'm a huge Isiah guy

Reaction Score
Larry Bird singlehandedly took Indiana State to the title game, Curry singlehandedly knocked off the Zags, Georgetown, and Wisconsin before taking Kansas to the brink. McDermott was a great college scorer who rebounded well but couldn't pass and played zero defense. It's insane anyone compared him to Larry Bird.
How do you explain the consensus 3x AA and POY? You continually dismiss this. I can't accept a questioning of the committees sanity or some such weak argument. You can't say "yeah he won Player of the year and was 3x 1st team All American.... BUT...."

Reaction Score
Doug had a Defensive Win Share of 5.2 over 4 seasons

Whaley has a Defensive Win Share of 4.8 currently in his 5th season

Doug played defense he just isn’t an all conference defensive player. His lowest DWS was 1.0 and highest 1.7. He was never a defensive liability
And Steph Curry's defensive win shares is 9.3 over 3 seasons. Did you watch McDermott play in college and the pros? I did, he doesn't play defense. Maybe that's changed recently but he certainly didn't used to play any defense. He was the worst defender in the league when he was on the Bulls.

The Draft Starts With Defense: The Curious Case of Doug Mc-No-D | Dean On Draft

There's a Reason Why McDermott Doesn't Play More - Blog a Bull

Reaction Score
And Steph Curry's defensive win shares is 9.3 over 3 seasons. Did you watch McDermott play in college and the pros? I did, he doesn't play defense. Maybe that's changed recently but he certainly didn't used to play any defense. He was the worst defender in the league when he was on the Bulls.

The Draft Starts With Defense: The Curious Case of Doug Mc-No-D | Dean On Draft

There's a Reason Why McDermott Doesn't Play More - Blog a Bull
you can't use the NBA in this argument. Also you created the idea that you have to be a great defender to be on aRushmore. Tom Brady is immobile and doesn't have a rocket arm. Who cares?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some advanced metrics, like Win Shares, only go so far. Was Derek Jeter the worst defensive SS ever?

Sometimes you have to watch the games...and McDermott didn't play defense.

Reaction Score
you can't use the NBA in this argument. Also you created the idea that you have to be a great defender to be on aRushmore. Tom Brady is immobile and doesn't have a rocket arm. Who cares?
I can do whatever I want and referred to his cr@ppy defense in college and the pros. I watched him in college, he didn't play defense. You have McDermott on your Mount Rushmore for the last 20+ years of college basketball, that's fine. He's nowhere near mine.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Some advanced metrics, like Win Shares, only go so far. Was Derek Jeter the worst defensive SS ever?

Sometimes you have to watch the games...and McDermott didn't play defense.

He wasn’t the worst.
Tony Womack…existed

Reaction Score
I can do whatever I want and referred to his cr@ppy defense in college and the pros. I watched him in college, he didn't play defense. You have McDermott on your Mount Rushmore for the last 20+ years of college basketball, that's fine. He's nowhere near mine.
College basketball is defined by the NCAAs. If you aren't in the second weekend once over 4 years...

Reaction Score
College basketball is defined by the NCAAs. If you aren't in the second weekend once over 4 years...
But this is an individual thing. His team wasn't good enough. This is an age old argument. Look at Matthew Stafford. He finally got a team. He didn't just become a good quarterback this year. It's fashionable to leave someone off the "greats" list if they don't have trophies. We all know Dan Marino was way better than Troy Aikman, for instance, but people still bring up the W's argument. NFL is defined by Post Season wins just as much as ncaa, so the comparison is apt.

Reaction Score
Damn. Brunson is a good one. Slipped my mind. For some reason he didn't stick out when I was thinking of this. I don't think he jumped off the screen like some of these other guys.
Compared to the last 2 uconn final wins
The '16 and '18nova wins just didn't feel as dynamic. They are kind of just "there". I also don't remember ever thinking that he was the best player in the country at any point even though he was the year he won POY. Even guys like buddy heild and steph jumped off the screen more than Brunson.
The 2018 Nova team is literally one of the best teams of all time. Won every game in the tournament by double digits and is the 2nd best offensive team in the Kenpom era. Brunson being the PG of that team was the driving factor

Reaction Score
The 2018 Nova team is literally one of the best teams of all time. Won every game in the tournament by double digits and is the 2nd best offensive team in the Kenpom era. Brunson being the PG of that team was the driving factor
I understand that. Statistically it was a great team but it made for a lackluster tourney watching experience. I like a tournament with upsets and drama and the emergence of heroes. Not a tourney when a team cruises the whole way. He also had a great team around him so he didn't have to play hero. But Mt Rushmore is half hero stats/half stats. I can argue that there were way better presidents than George Washington, but can you keep him off?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is a Mt. Rushmore. it's not necessarily 4 best statistical players. The presidents on Mt Rushmore weren't all the best presidents. But you can't keep George Washington off.
Kemba, Carmelo, Steph, bazz, etc.
If you really think that Jalen Brunson has the same megastar pedigree in the tourney, then I can't argue. But we know he doesn't @superjohn said in reference to Brunson "He is often overlooked" why? I didn't put him om because he wasn't as big of a star as the rest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let's just enjoy tmrws game and get back to better things. I respect your opinion and it was a fun thread. We disagree but this would be boring if we all agreed

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
This is a Mt. Rushmore. it's not necessarily 4 best statistical players. The presidents on Mt Rushmore weren't all the best presidents. But you can't keep George Washington off.
Kemba, Carmelo, Steph, bazz, etc.
If you really think that Jalen Brunson has the same megastar pedigree in the tourney, then I can't argue. But we know he doesn't @superjohn said in reference to Brunson "He is often overlooked" why? I didn't put him om because he wasn't as big of a star as the rest.
But this isn’t a March madness mt Rushmore. Doesn’t matter if someone had the tourney megastar pedigree.

the Q

Reaction Score
But this isn’t a March madness mt Rushmore. Doesn’t matter if someone had the tourney megastar pedigree.

I agree. Its a very obvious concept. I was just getting tired of defending myself.

I get what you’re saying.

I don’t know if you can take this stance and not have Zion, who had one of the most single dominant seasons out there

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
I get what you’re saying.

I don’t know if you can take this stance and not have Zion, who had one of the most single dominant seasons out there
But it’s not about one season either, in my opinion.

the Q

Reaction Score
But it’s not about one season either, in my opinion.

It’s a balance

Greatness vs career accomplishments

Longevity is a factor

But so is peak

Like Zion was a better player than Brunson or mcbuckets was at any point.

But they have longevity on their side

the Q

Reaction Score
A few things I’ve noticed:

1) jay Williams was overrated, Including by me. Surprised by how his metrics translated

2) battier underrated

3) David west is possibly the most underrated college player this century

No one mentioned him, but he was the best big man in cbb before okafor.

Lead the nation in win shares as a junior and missed out on repeating by .1

Lots of dougie talk inspired my west research

Reaction Score
A few things I’ve noticed:

1) jay Williams was overrated, Including by me. Surprised by how his metrics translated

2) battier underrated

3) David west is possibly the most underrated college player this century

No one mentioned him, but he was the best big man in cbb before okafor.

Lead the nation in win shares as a junior and missed out on repeating by .1

Lots of dougie talk inspired my west research
Wow. I just looked at West's stats. Defensive and offensive metrics across the board every year. He stood out too in those years but feel that his cbb brand dwindled slightly over time. This is a great find

the Q

Reaction Score
Wow. I just looked at West's stats. Defensive and offensive metrics across the board every year. He stood out too in those years but feel that his cbb brand dwindled slightly over time. This is a great find

West was one of my all time favorite non huskies

I also stumped for nba teams to give him more respect

I thought he should’ve won NPOY and the numbers back it up

Like I said earlier, the writers don’t always get it right

Reaction Score
West was one of my all time favorite non huskies

I also stumped for nba teams to give him more respect

I thought he should’ve won NPOY and the numbers back it up

Like I said earlier, the writers don’t always get it right
He was better than I remember from what I just saw. Good call. And yes the writers may overlook certain people and they may not get it 100% right. But they are never insanely and indefensibly wrong. Doug McD player of the year and consensus 3x AA is very reasonable

Reaction Score
You could make an argument for Jimmer Freddette
I’m terms of impact, and just being a gamer, I like Gerry McNamara. NCAA champion. He was a BIG part of that run with Mello. Went to sweet 16 without Mello following year and had some massive performances before getting hurt his senior year and fizzling out after that crazy Big East tournament run. Dwayne Wade may have done more with less at Marquette than Mello? Not a National title, but Marquette snuck up on people like Curry with Davidson and Syracuse was a turnstile of big time recruits. Mello was positioned to do better? That run by Wade had a massive impact on turning the Marquette program around.

Reaction Score
I’m terms of impact, and just being a gamer, I like Gerry McNamara. NCAA champion. He was a BIG part of that run with Mello. Went to sweet 16 without Mello following year and had some massive performances before getting hurt his senior year and fizzling out after that crazy Big East tournament run. Dwayne Wade may have done more with less at Marquette than Mello? Not a National title, but Marquette snuck up on people like Curry with Davidson and Syracuse was a turnstile of big time recruits. Mello was positioned to do better? That run by Wade had a massive impact on turning the Marquette program around.
It was 20 years ago so my memory is a little foggy. But I always saw a parallel in Carmelo/McNamara and Wade/Travis Deaner. Steve Novak was also on that Marquette team. So they had some dudes. But Wade was obviously the powerhouse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom