2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs | Page 22 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
They should have worked in Dorka a little. Jones was just (wo)manhandling them.
I don't think she would've played at all except Smith had to take a couple trips to the hospital during the game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
NY is gonna win the clinching game of the Finals...shooting 30% overall and 8% from 3.

There has been plenty of drama, but this game is just plain ugly.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Very entertaining, but this might be the worst played WNBA game I've ever seen. Amazing NY is in a spot to win this with 5-34 shooting from Sabrina/Stewie. Fortunately for them, everyone on Minnesota is tanking aside from Phee and McBride and Minnesota seems to have no interest having either take shots in overtime.

Reaction Score
Very entertaining, but this might be the worst played WNBA game I've ever seen. Amazing NY is in a spot to win this with 5-34 shooting from Sabrina/Stewie. Fortunately for them, everyone on Minnesota is tanking aside from Phee and McBride and Minnesota seems to have no interest having either take shots in overtime.
Refs had no control in this game. Jones tripped and got a lucky call. Otherwise, probably would have been over in regulation. Every player should be checked for a concussion. Collier is just way more gifted and tough than anyone knew.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Lynx should feel robbed IMO, 3 phantom foul calls against them in the final minute of regulation. 25-8 FT disparity. They did nothing to help themselves in OT but they likely would've won this game in regulation if it was called fairly.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, it certainly was a competitive game, but definitely not a very well played game. At times, the Liberty looked like they were playing with their pants on fire. Awful shooting by both teams, lots of turnovers and the refs swallowed their whistles for much of the game.

Congratulations to the Liberty on their 1st championship in the franchise’s 28 year history. Hard to imagine that NY could win with Sabrina & Stewie going a combined 5/34.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Well, it certainly was a competitive game, but definitely not a very well played game. At times, the Liberty looked like they were playing with their pants on fire. Awful shooting by both teams, lots of turnovers and the refs swallowed their whistles for much of the game.

Congratulations to the Liberty on their 1st championship in the franchise’s 28 year history. Hard to imagine that NY could win with Sabrina & Stewie going a combined 5/34.
True but I think with each passing year of increased physicality the less "pretty" it's going to be. Same with the college game. I knew I would feel bad for whoever lost in such a hotly contested series. The most exciting finals WNBA series I've seen, IF far from the best played. Congrats to NY on #1. Both teams played so hard. Napheesa looked fabulous. Happy that Stewie was able to make those last 4 FT's. She would have been crushed if she missed those.

Reaction Score
Lynx need to get a more physical PG if this is the physicality allowed moving forward. Williams is known for a high motor, but she looked gassed at times which I found surprising. Add some height with athleticism closer to the basket and they should have no problem getting back next year. It would also extend Collier's career. She was battling considering she was undersized..

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Phee has the most heart breaking losses in women's basketball history
Similarly, Breanna Stewart's teams have been the thorn in Kayla McBride's entire career:
2013: Lost to Stewart's team in the Final Four. ND likely cruises to the title if they beat UCONN that game.
2014: Lost to Stewart's team in the title game
2020: Lost to Stewart's team in the finals 3-0
2024: Lost to Stewart's team in the finals 3-2

Reaction Score
Similarly, Breanna Stewart's teams have been the thorn in Kayla McBride's entire career:
2013: Lost to Stewart's team in the Final Four. ND likely cruises to the title if they beat UCONN that game.
2014: Lost to Stewart's team in the title game
2020: Lost to Stewart's team in the finals 3-0
2024: Lost to Stewart's team in the finals 3-2
McBride is one of my favorite ND players. Did I just admit that? No, but really, she is tough as nails and she needed to be in this series. NY beat her up on her cuts pretty good in this game.

Reaction Score
Brondello becomes the 7th coach to win multiple WNBA titles.

The rub was she didn't develop players including Alanna Smith while with Phoenix however sophomore Nyara Sabally was the X factor for Game 5 and rookie Leonie Fiebich was the X factor in the playoffs and broke the record for most rookie points in WNBA finals.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Lynx need to get a more physical PG if this is the physicality allowed moving forward. Williams is known for a high motor, but she looked gassed at times which I found surprising. Add some height with athleticism closer to the basket and they should have no problem getting back next year. It would also extend Collier's career. She was battling considering she was undersized..
The Lynx need to get players better than Hines-Allen and Heidemann for offense. Williams would be okay, but she shows off to the crowd too much and pats the ball too much. Save some of that energy for actual playing time. Plus, she and Smith make turnovers at critical times, at least during the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Heartbreaking loss for my beloved Lynx. The Vikings lose and now this. But Hats off to New York on winning what was a pretty solid basketball series and on winning their first WNBA title. Definitely an entertaining one. The cool part, The New York Liberty winning the title in the Mecca of Basketball. The grand stage of the basketball world. They are going to be LEGENDS! Congrats, Stewie (Native New Yorker) and the rest of the Liberty on winning the title.

Reaction Score
You know who was robbed? Ionescu and Stewwie, that's who. How can you possibly play like they played and enjoy the win or the title?

Reaction Score
Brondello becomes the 7th coach to win multiple WNBA titles.

The rub was she didn't development players including Alanna Smith while with Phoenix however sophomore Nyara Sabally was the X factor for Game 5 and rookie Leonie Fiebich was the X factor in the playoffs and broke the record for most rookie points in WNBA finals.
I am happy for Coach Brondello. Folks were saying she "Can't coach" or "Doesn't know how to win games" blah, blah, blah. She guided the Liberty to the title. She has been in the W for a decade if not longer. She is a winner and a solild coach. Well done, Coach B.

Reaction Score
I'm happy for JJ man. She's been incredibly slept on as an MVP and by the media as a whole. I'm so glad she got her flowers as a finals MVP!!! Totally deserved considering how atrocious Sab and Stewie were tonight. Lowkey though, if they allowed finals MVPs to go to anybody, I would've given it to Phee. She was PHEEnomenal ;). But her team let her down. CONGRATS TO THE LIBERTY!!!!

Reaction Score
Yep. You can say both teams are playing really good defense, but there is absolutely no freedom of movement for offensive players. This is really hard to watch.
So true. The WNBA really needs to rethink how the league is officiated and its games are played. Choosing “physicality” over better basketball severely limits the growth potential of the W.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom