2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs | Page 24 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs

Reaction Score
Mid-morning thoughts after. Primarily looking ahead.
  • These tight playoff schedules might be due to the upcoming NBA/current NHL schedules in arenas that are shared, but the quick turnarounds have to wear on players, particularly with teams in which coaches were riding their stars long and hard. WNBA is going to a best of 7 next year and there has to be some recovery time in there to ensure a good product, particularly if teams are travelling quite a distance/time zones.
  • OK, time for the third party-approach on reviews. The late-game review that upheld the calls against the Lynx was the final straw. As noted, Stewie used her Airline Miles before even going up for the shot.
  • Can't make an accurate judgement on the quality of each and every referee in the WNBA, but if the league wants to be the new big thing, your refs have to be in lockstep. And that goes from who the refs are from overall philosophy on how/what to call. And you've gotta get that third-party decision in place (rent it from the NBA for the playoffs, at least).
and
So much has been spent on the quality level of the play/officiating, but a shout out on a few fronts:
  • Brondello, who has been ripped and/or given credit, made some moves in the latter part of the season and the playoffs that helped the Liberty, for sure. Most notably, there's the insertion of Fiebich into the starting line-up. She makes them a different team: taller, more athletic on all fronts.
  • Her decisions to play Thornton and Sabally in this last game were key. Fresh legs helped. A lot.
  • Likewise, Reeve started playing Juhasz rather than Hines-Allen to combat that tallness and athletic ability of NY. Going forward, I'd expect Reeve to keep Juhasz in the rotation. I'll also be very interested if Jess Shepard decides to play in the W this year and, if so, with Minnesota. She and Reeve are tight.
Hines-Allen doesn't care how tall opponents are; she is tough and knows how to play. She was a great pickup for the Lynx, and Reeve may have lost that game by not playing her.

Reaction Score
The missed travel cost the Lynx the game, plus the official had no business calling the foul on Stewart. Jones continually bulls her way to the basket, and rarely gets called. Even if Stewart got "brushed" (which I doubt), you don't call foul for breathing on someone in that situation. The Lynx got robbed, their coach is 100% right, and the Liberty should "do the right thing", as Spike says, and give the hardware to the rightful owners, the Lynx!

Reaction Score
Replay clearly showed Smith's hand making contact with Breanna's arm.

I have a really good OLED TV and it was really hard to tell if contact was made....it was anything but clear. Either way, I don't believe that is what the ref said at the end of the challenge. I think he said Smith wasn't in legal guarding position. That caught me off guard because I thought it was pretty clear she was in legal guarding position and I would have rather they said that the play stands (i.e. inconclusive evidence).

Reaction Score
You're looking at it from the wrong angle. Smith's right arm brushed across Breanna's left arm; this view blocks that out. That's what the refs saw on replay.
Does it? The other angle is untrustworthy as it doesn't indicate the distance between Smith and Breanna's arms. When looking at all angles simultaneously it seems to me that they never touch.

Reaction Score
I have a really good OLED TV and it was really hard to tell if contact was made....it was anything but clear. Either way, I don't believe that is what the ref said at the end of the challenge. I think he said Smith wasn't in legal guarding position. That caught me off guard because I thought it was pretty clear she was in legal guarding position and I would have rather they said that the play stands (i.e. inconclusive evidence).

Yes, he did say this. Nothing was said about contact to the arm. My interpretation is that they thought they saw something with Smith's body, but it's just my guess.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Hines-Allen doesn't care how tall opponents are; she is tough and knows how to play. She was a great pickup for the Lynx, and Reeve may have lost that game by not playing her.
You're preaching to the choir...I live in her hometown of Montclair, NJ and have seen her play in various leagues since 6th grade.
I've got no issue with Juhasz playing because of her height and athletic ability. However, I do think Hines-Allen could've spelled Collier or Smith when Thornton and/or Sabally were in to throw her aggressiveness around and give them a spell.

The trade worked for the Lynx. Hines-Allen and Reeve should have a long talk sooner rather than later and determine what the future might hold so Hines-Allen can see what her opportunities are next year. She'll get picked up by teams that need an aggressive forward to who plays defense, rebounds, passes the ball and can score from the foul line in. Maybe Ms. Parker will give a call from Las Vegas? ;)

In addition to her ability to mix it up, Hines-Allen is a positive presence, who supports teammates and -- in the past -- schoolmates on different teams, clubs, etc. I'd see her at soccer games, debate clubs, etc. And she let people know who she was rooting for.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yes, he did say this. Nothing was said about contact to the arm. My interpretation is that they thought they saw something with Smith's body, but it's just my guess.
In my listening experience, the phrase "not in legal guarding position" usually occurs in a block-or-charge situation. When the refs say that, they call a blocking foul on the defender rather than a charge on the offense, because they don't think the defender had established her position by the time of contact (or actually, by the time when the offensive player begins her shooting motion).

So rather than basing the foul call on contact between Smith's arm and Stewie's arm, perhaps the refs (maybe retroactively) were saying that Smith was still moving when Stewie started her shooting motion. From the replay, that doesn't appear to be accurate either, but maybe that is what the refs were saying.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I have to weigh in that I thought her hand hit Stewie's arm too. However let's face it there's a hell of a lot of contact that never gets called and a hell of a lot of phantom calls that get made over the course of the WNBA season especially when players are shooting. It's tough to micro-focus on one bad call (If it was) because of the timing in the championship game when SO many bad calls are made throughout the year. Geno has said many times you can't let it come down to that because this very thing can happen. I understand Coach Reeve being mad when the team works so hard and it feels like it's ripped away. But it's not going to get reversed or replayed so she's going to have to let it go. I myself would like to see (At least in the playoffs) other refs off-site looking at bigger monitors make the final judgement on these things. That way they can start reviewing things right away and the floor refs don't have to fight the glare of the stadium lights while looking at small monitors courtside.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I didn’t think Alanna Smith fouled her. I definitely think Stewie got away with an egregious travel though. One of the most obvious travels you will see.
I actually forgive that because refs often swallow the whistle in late game situations, but for them to ignore the travel and call the non-existent foul on Smith right after is criminal.

Reaction Score
You're preaching to the choir...I live in Montclair, NJ and have seen her play in various leagues since 6th grade.
I've got no issue with Juhasz playing because of her height and athletic ability. However, I do think Hines-Allen could've spelled Collier or Smith when Thornton and/or Sabally were in to throw her aggressiveness around and give them a spell.

The trade worked for the Lynx. Hines-Allen and Reeve should have a long talk sooner rather than later and determine what the future might hold so Hines-Allen can see what her opportunities are next year. She'll get picked up by teams that need an aggressive forward to who plays defense, rebounds, passes the ball and can score from the foul line in. Maybe Ms. Parker will give a call from Las Vegas? ;)
Well, I'm from Boonton,NJ , and we both know what a wealth of athletic talent has always been found in our Garden State. How well I remember the Haines twins at Montclair, coached by the legendary Clary Anderson. Most any team would be wise to have Hines-Allen on their bench. She just comes to play. How the Mystics lost her I don't know. Oh, and in games 4 and 5 Juhasz pretty much did nothing. Unless people think that a 6"5" just standing there is a distraction to the opposing team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We shall see how t
I struggled watching the replay of this game and I am sure I will rewatch the title game over the weekend. But watching the game last night, I keep wondering what would have happened if we played "X" player more? Would Dorka help? Would MHA help?

Then I think about us being up 12 points and let New York back in the game! Ugh!! :):D

Reaction Score
and
So much has been spent on the quality level of the play/officiating, but a shout out on a few fronts:
  • Brondello, who has been ripped and/or given credit, made some moves in the latter part of the season and the playoffs that helped the Liberty, for sure. Most notably, there's the insertion of Fiebich into the starting line-up. She makes them a different team: taller, more athletic on all fronts.
  • Her decisions to play Thornton and Sabally in this last game were key. Fresh legs helped. A lot.
  • Likewise, Reeve started playing Juhasz rather than Hines-Allen to combat that tallness and athletic ability of NY. Going forward, I'd expect Reeve to keep Juhasz in the rotation. I'll also be very interested if Jess Shepard decides to play in the W this year and, if so, with Minnesota. She and Reeve are tight.
Absolutely! A number of critics and skeptics of SB will hopefully take a measured reflection.

SB was consistent all year in her decision making and leadership. As I said before it's a reflection on the franchise that gave her her walking papers Mercury) and the grateful franchise it's signed her.

Congrats to all the Liberty and a props to the coach.

Reaction Score
I definitely think not playing MHA was definitely the right move from Cheryl. She was a great pickup for Cheryl but she was horrible in this specific matchup with the Liberty.

When Alanna went down in Game 3 it was MHA who came in and she was -19 for the game and was getting destroyed by JJ. Dorka held serve in game 4 so it made sense to try her in game 5 over MHA. I do wonder if Diamond was developed what kind of impact she could have had as well. She has the length that could match well with the really tall Liberty.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I actually forgive that because refs often swallow the whistle in late game situations, but for them to ignore the travel and call the non-existent foul on Smith right after is criminal.
Followed by ignoring the obvious foul that Sabally committed against Carleton on the next trip down court. It was a lot to get wrong in a very short amount of time, all critical. Carleton very likely would've rebounded McBride's missed 3 and had a chance at a put back. She wasn't able to secure the rebound because Sabally clearly helped her find her way onto the ground. IIRC Minnesota was in the bonus, so if a whistle had blown Carleton would've gone to the line with a chance to win the game in regulation w/ almost no time left on the clock.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It clearly showed she wasn't touched

The side angle showed Smith contact Stewie’s left arm with her right hand. It wasn’t much, but it was contact. On the other hand, MN was livid about the non-traveling call that preceded the foul, when Stewie took 2 short steps and then a jump stop before dribbling.

WBBTakeover

Manifesting EDD to the Aces in 2025
Reaction Score
Kobe got mercilessly derided for going 6 for 24 in a Game 7 (which resulted in a win for the Lakers).

What will be said of Sabrina going 1 for 19 in a Game 5?

Reaction Score
The side angle showed Smith contact Stewie’s left arm with her right hand. It wasn’t much, but it was contact. On the other hand, MN was livid about the non-traveling call that preceded the foul, when Stewie took 2 short steps and then a jump stop before dribbling.
Thanks oldude ; yes she was fouled. The Lynx,especially Reeve, spend a lot of time being livid. It's a very difficult game to officiate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom