2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs | Page 25 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs

Reaction Score
Thanks oldude ; yes she was fouled. The Lynx,especially Reeve, spend a lot of time being livid. It's a very difficult game to officiate.
Reeve was livid last night and Brondello was the previous game. Both said if there is contact then it should be called. The problem is that the inconsistency with the foul differences in each game were horrendous. Regardless who one was rooting for, the variances between these two games was really bad.

Doesn't matter where the game was played, a lot of calls were missed. And as I feared, the referees are the talk of today instead of a series that went 5 games, including two overtime games, and insane rating jumps from last year.

Reaction Score
Reeve was livid last night and Brondello was the previous game. Both said if there is contact then it should be called. The problem is that the inconsistency with the fo

ul differences in each game were horrendous. Regardless who one was rooting for, the variances between these two games was really bad.

Doesn't matter where the game was played, a lot of calls were missed. And as I feared, the referees are the talk of today instead of a series that went 5 games, including two overtime games, and insane rating jumps from last year.
If all contact was called the games would last 4 hours,and the fans would have left long before that. I don't have any patience with coaches who blame the officials for losses. The officials need to hand out more technicals, then maybe players and coaches would shut up and do their jobs. The WNBA is the worst for constant belly aching. Makes it
really hard to watch the
games.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Kobe got mercilessly derided for going 6 for 24 in a Game 7 (which resulted in a win for the Lakers).

What will be said of Sabrina going 1 for 19 in a Game 5?
People wont forget anytime soon but I'm sure she'd rather get the criticism and win than get the criticism and lose. I will say, too, a huge chunk of the Liberty's run in the 3rd quarter was made off of great passing by Sabrina. She had 4 assists that quarter and was a major part of getting Sabally going offensively.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As someone noted, the W is very difficult to ref, and even hard for a watcher at home. Of course rules that are not identical to the college game most of us know better and watch more of is a factor. But the high physicality and rapid speed of play can't make it easy.

Regarding Stewie's undeniable walk - well, they let a lot of that go over all, and they can't call it on replay. So, it was unfortunate.

Note that the 2 lead refs in the game were the NCAA's "finest" - Roy Gulbeyan and Maj Forsberg. Before getting too up in arms, it has to be noted that Maj was a ref at the Olympics, as well, representing her native country, not the US. She's not universally popular among NCAA watchers, but she must be doing something right. Never heard a lot of complaints about Gulbeyan, either.

As someone who had Liberty season tix the first 11 years of the league - well, a very satisfactory result, in the end.

Reaction Score
If all contact was called the games would last 4 hours,and the fans would have left long before that. I don't have any patience with coaches who blame the officials for losses. The officials need to hand out more technicals, then maybe players and coaches would shut up and do their jobs. The WNBA is the worst for constant belly aching. Makes it
really hard to watch the
games.
Disagree. Handing out technicals won't resolve anything. The same complaints are made during the NCAAW season and several of these referees work in both leagues.

WNBA officials and the WNBA need to get together to review and see how they can improve things. For example, the NFL and the virtual assist from HQ in New York. That one change has helped improve the situation on a lot of missed calls from what I've observed over the years.

Or the two minute review in the 4th quarter which the NBA implemented. It's not perfect but it's putting more of the onus on the referees on getting the calls right.

Reaction Score
Reeve was livid last night and Brondello was the previous game. Both said if there is contact then it should be called. The problem is that the inconsistency with the foul differences in each game were horrendous. Regardless who one was rooting for, the variances between these two games was really bad.

I feel like talent and quality has vastly improved every year in WBB (college and W) but the officiating from neither have caught up it seems. It’s too inconsistent across the board

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
As someone noted, the W is very difficult to ref, and even hard for a watcher at home. Of course rules that are not identical to the college game most of us know better and watch more of is a factor. But the high physicality and rapid speed of play can't make it easy.

Regarding Stewie's undeniable walk - well, they let a lot of that go over all, and they can't call it on replay. So, it was unfortunate.

Note that the 2 lead refs in the game were the NCAA's "finest" - Roy Gulbeyan and Maj Forsberg. Before getting too up in arms, it has to be noted that Maj was a ref at the Olympics, as well, representing her native country, not the US. She's not universally popular among NCAA watchers, but she must be doing something right. Never heard a lot of complaints about Gulbeyan, either.

As someone who had Liberty season tix the first 11 years of the league - well, a very satisfactory result, in the end.
I noticed Sue Wicks and Teresa Witherspoon front and center courtside last night, so the Rutgers/Liberty alums were in full force. With Benijah Laney-Hamilton now on the team, there's been a Scarlet Knight presence on that team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lost a lot of respect for Jones this series. The foul that injured Alanna in the first place shows Jones wrapping her arms around Alanna's back and shoving her, not by accident. She shoved Alanna more throughout the series, knowing she was hurt, and put her arms around her to knock her down, because she KNEW she wasn't going to be called for it. Honestly disgusting actions to knowingly hurt a player because you can get away with it. The fall she took in game 5 also shows Jones wrapping her arms around her and knocking her over. Maybe it's controversial, but I have zero respect for her or her FMVP.

I don't care if "she's just being physical," there's a difference between posting up legally, and grabbing your defender to make sure she can't stay in position, and shoving her over. No excuse for that.

Reaction Score
If I’m not mistaken, the refs clearly set the precedent that they would call the whistle in the closing seconds. Game 1, Stewart goes to the line with about a second left in regulation. Game 4 Carleton goes to the line with only a few seconds left. Game 5 Stewart goes to the line in the closing seconds. It was a missed travel, though. It’s just tough that this one call seems to be overshadowing a great series and season. There were probably 180 missed calls in the finals, this one was just at the worst time.

I think the lack of fouls called for Phee can sometimes be a product of the way she operates offensively. She uses a lot of shot fakes per possession and often shoots fading away. I thought the liberty were more aggressive in seeking contact on shots. The overall fouls called was very similar, the liberty just drew those fouls in places to get free throws.

I’ve also felt that Minnesota adopted the 3 and D identity this season. Beautiful team offense, but very physical defense. Was the physicality on D to overcome their smaller size? I thought they set the precedent in game 1; we’re going to grab and hold and be physical and see what they call. The the liberty matched that. Would love to see the W go to more freedom of movement. Fans would rather see crisp offense than a defensive rugby match.

I feel for minnesota. I think the liberty should count their lucky stars. They should’ve locked up the series earlier. But happy to see NY get the elusive championship. Being in Barclays for game 5 was probably the best wbb atmosphere I’ve ever been in.

Reaction Score
I noticed Sue Wicks and Teresa Witherspoon front and center courtside last night, so the Rutgers/Liberty alums were in full force. With Benijah Laney-Hamilton now on the team, there's been a Scarlet Knight presence on that team.
Loved it. Seeing Weatherspoon tear up the way she did when it was evident NY won tugged on the heartstrings big time for me.

Reaction Score
Following in the footsteps of previous heros such as Admiral George Dewey, The 1912 US Olympic team, Bobby Jones, Amelia Earhart, the Iranian Hostages, and scores of others, on Thursday the Liberty get their NY heroes celebration with a Ticker Tape Parade down the Canyon of Heroes. Start at 10am.

Reaction Score
What I don't like, especially from what I've seen on social media, this final game has seemed to negate the play by Breanna, Sabrina and the Liberty in the complete series. Just say Congratulation and be gracious. They do not control the refs, and an off shooting night doesn't eliminate everything done by them, and the entire team, to win a championship.

I doubt Napheesa is walking around holding a grudge. She's probably enjoying her life. She'll take that loss like a pro and put it to good use next season.

We could learn from that.

Reaction Score

Against a night game that included Aaron Rodgers vs the Steelers, peaking at 3.3M at one point during the game. LOVE LOVE THIS!!!

The Dude Dancing GIF by The Dude Perfect Show

Reaction Score
Replay clearly showed Smith's hand making contact with Breanna's arm.
The biggest problem the WNBA has had the last 3 years since Hammond came into the league to coach the Aces is the physical defensive pressure. The WNBA used to be a freeflowing beautiful game of basketball. Now it's like the Pistons of the 80's, grab, and push people.
Thought when Laimbeer left that style would be gone for good. This year a lot of the games were unwatchable. That needs to be cleaned up or the new fans will quickly leave.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Apparently Piph Prince is employed in the Liberty offices. Yes, Wicks, Cappie, Carson, Prince, etc. represented many years of an RU connection, now it is Benijah. Regardless of anything else, I often heard that Vivian was among the coaches that excelled at having players pro-ready.

T'Spoon's early teams, with Wicks, Witherspoon, Lobo and the rest were something special.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Apparently Piph Prince is employed in the Liberty offices. Yes, Wicks, Cappie, Carson, Prince, etc. represented many years of an RU connection, now it is Benijah. Regardless of anything else, I often heard that Vivian was among the coaches that excelled at having players pro-ready.

T'Spoon's early teams, with Wicks, Witherspoon, Lobo and the rest were something special.
Big-time special. I saw a few at that place around 33rd-34th street in Manhattan....;)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Calls and missed calls by officials have affected a few WNBA playoff games. Didn't the Lynx benefit from a missed back-court violation against the Sparks? Of course, the Lynx will counter that the Sparks and Nneka benefited from a 31-second shot clock. And who can forget A'ja Wilson's many, many steps on her way to the winning basket in Sue Bird's last game.

The officials are as imperfect as the players and coaches.

Reaction Score
What I don't like, especially from what I've seen on social media, this final game has seemed to negate the play by Breanna, Sabrina and the Liberty in the complete series. Just say Congratulation and be gracious. They do not control the refs, and an off shooting night doesn't eliminate everything done by them, and the entire team, to win a championship.

I doubt Napheesa is walking around holding a grudge. She's probably enjoying her life. She'll take that loss like a pro and put it to good use next season.

We could learn from that.
Napheesa: "I think that loss is something I'll never get over," Collier said. "To have it end that way, where it just feels super unjust, I don't think that's something I'll ever be able to get over. It's different if you feel like you lose a game." Uh, I think she might be holding a grudge.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The biggest problem the WNBA has had the last 3 years since Hammond came into the league to coach the Aces is the physical defensive pressure. The WNBA used to be a freeflowing beautiful game of basketball. Now it's like the Pistons of the 80's, grab, and push people.
Thought when Laimbeer left that style would be gone for good. This year a lot of the games were unwatchable. That needs to be cleaned up or the new fans will quickly leave.
To me the Sun are the team responsible for pushing the boundaries of physicality in the league, been like that for many years. Everybody else responded eventually. Alyssa Thomas is ground zero for over the top physicality, on both ends of the floor.

Reaction Score
The game has always been physical. Taking it all the way back to the early days of the NBA. Teams like the Sacramento Monarchs, Cleveland Rockers, Utah Starzz days. The game has always been chippy. The Lauren Jackson/Lisa Leslie days, LA vs Seattle. It just didn't start when Coach Hammon took over the Aces.

Reaction Score
The game has always been physical. Taking it all the way back to the early days of the NBA. Teams like the Sacramento Monarchs, Cleveland Rockers, Utah Starzz days. The game has always been chippy. The Lauren Jackson/Lisa Leslie days, LA vs Seattle. It just didn't start when Coach Hammon took over the Aces.

This.... basketball is physical sport.

WBBTakeover

Manifesting EDD to the Aces in 2025
Reaction Score
Exactly, and the Aces aren't even the most physical team in the league by a mile. The Liberty are far more physical. Minnesota is also a physical team.

WBBTakeover

Manifesting EDD to the Aces in 2025
Reaction Score
Lost a lot of respect for Jones this series. The foul that injured Alanna in the first place shows Jones wrapping her arms around Alanna's back and shoving her, not by accident. She shoved Alanna more throughout the series, knowing she was hurt, and put her arms around her to knock her down, because she KNEW she wasn't going to be called for it. Honestly disgusting actions to knowingly hurt a player because you can get away with it. The fall she took in game 5 also shows Jones wrapping her arms around her and knocking her over. Maybe it's controversial, but I have zero respect for her or her FMVP.

I don't care if "she's just being physical," there's a difference between posting up legally, and grabbing your defender to make sure she can't stay in position, and shoving her over. No excuse for that.
Jonquel always gets away with physical play, but no one wants to say anything about it because A'ja is usually on the receiving end. When it happens to a player that people like/feel for, then it becomes an issue.

Reaction Score
This.... basketball is physical sport.
Agreed. The complaints about physicality confuses me as I don't see a difference.

Reaction Score
I've no problem with physicality. These women are in great shape,are strong. They can handle it. My complaint is with the players dishing out the physical play, and then complaining when a foul is called. I don't understand why the speed and physicality is not recognized by the players. The refs call some, they miss some. So what! That's athletic competition, no matter which sport. I'm so old,old school that I would love to see challenges and reviews of calls eliminated from all sports. So many calls are missed in every game,but the coaches can only challenge a couple. All the other missed calls go unchallenged. Because of that,the challenge system has never made any sense to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom