2024 Olympics team discussion... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2024 Olympics team discussion...

Reaction Score
Great points Dillon.

SDD is one big question mark on her status in general. If she's back on the court and playing at her 2022 level, she has to be a part of convo, I think whether or not Gray is healthy. If Gray is out, I think USA BBall needs to give Canada a very hard look (then again, if Gray is out, who plays PG for the Aces? Plum? Maybe she continues that for team USA).

On EDD--this is really about her health and what she is prioritizing. Does she want another Olympic gold, at risk of making her less productive for the Mystics? Will she even be at 100%? I do think Team USA might not want to rely on someone with iffy health when they have a more of a need for a pure wing.
The issue with SDS at this point is she can’t be in the same room as Taurasi and I think DT is probably getting a spot, meritable or not. If Gray is healthy she’s option #1 and #2 at point, but if you have Plum and/or Young, they’re more than capable of playing lead guard when needed. I think Laney is a better wing than Atkins, Copper, and especially Howard so I expect she’ll be on the team which might free up Young positionally if she’s there as well.

Reaction Score
My 5 would be Boston and Ionescu, Jackie Young, Plum and Copper. I think Jackie’s defense sets her apart from the others. Plum and Copper are just fun to watch. :)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
as of today, that's where I'd put my money too TC22.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
My 5 would be Boston and Ionescu, Jackie Young, Plum and Copper. I think Jackie’s defense sets her apart from the others. Plum and Copper are just fun to watch. :)
@bbsamjj

Good choices, too.
Regarding Jackie Young: I think her versatility is a plus, as well, particularly with her (much) improved three-point shooting.

On another track: If Diana Taurasi is chosen, are she and Ionescu somewhat duplicative, particularly when both are primarily going to be used as zone busters (Long-range bombers)? Plum can/will attack the basket. Once again, there are so few slots that each facet of every player comes into consideration, made all the more fascinating if Gray can't go.

Reaction Score
I honestly think we would have heard SOMETHING by now if Gray’s injury was that serious. She would have already have had surgery, no? She’s not going to be in any of these practices right now anyway. She’s in the same category as A’ja, Stewie, Phee, etc.I would think. Just my opinion.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
@bbsamjj

Good choices, too.
Regarding Jackie Young: I think her versatility is a plus, as well, particularly with her (much) improved three-point shooting.

On another track: If Diana Taurasi is chosen, are she and Ionescu somewhat duplicative, particularly when both are primarily going to be used as zone busters (Long-range bombers)? Plum can/will attack the basket. Once again, there are so few slots that each facet of every player comes into consideration, made all the more fascinating if Gray can't go.
speaking of versatility, did I not see Jackie Young playing some PG in the Duke/USA highlights? I think Plum has more PG experience than Young, but that certainly gives you another combo guard option.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
speaking of versatility, did I not see Jackie Young playing some PG in the Duke/USA highlights? I think Plum has more PG experience than Young, but that certainly gives you another combo guard option.
Yup. While Marina Mabrey took over initial point guard responsibilities for those ND teams in 2018 and 2019, Jackie Young would spell her for increasingly longer periods of time against certain teams. (Both have only gotten better.) Jackie could easily take a shift for the nationals.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I honestly think we would have heard SOMETHING by now if Gray’s injury was that serious. She would have already have had surgery, no? She’s not going to be in any of these practices right now anyway. She’s in the same category as A’ja, Stewie, Phee, etc.I would think. Just my opinion.
  • In regards to her making the team (if healthy): Yes, agree that she's a no-brainer to the roster. Don't think I've seen anyone suggest otherwise.
  • Per the nature of the injury: crickets.
  • As for the timing of the surgery: Crickets squared...google search on Gray/surgery goes to 2014 at Duke.
I had a knee surgery pushed back because the doctor said the swelling was still too severe for him. Much closer to today, Olivia Miles didn't get operated on until a month (or more) until after her surgery.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom