2024 Olympics team discussion... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2024 Olympics team discussion...

Reaction Score
The Nneka train left the station a few years ago thanks to USA Basketball's 'decision' making. I thought she and Chiney indicated they'd play for Nigeria.
They tried, but given how much Nneka has already played for the USA senior national team, there was basically never any possibility of that happening. Chiney was approved so I guess that is still possible.

Nigeria's national team is a mess as AfroBasket starts on Friday. The government had major issues with the federation and withdrew them from all senior national team competition before reinstating the teams. That meant new coaches friendly with the power structure. Rather than reach out to the women who had made them three-time defending champions to get them back on board, they announced tryouts a few weeks ago so they are going to have to defend their crown with some less experienced players.

Back to the United States, I would assume that they try to have some kind of fall camp, especially since more and more possible players seem to be declining to play overseas. I would also assume that Unrivaled will take a break in February for national team play as the team will still participate in Olympic qualifying.

Reaction Score
Yesterday’s 42 point game to cruise past 10,000 career points shows that Dee still has game… just not as often.
Agreed and no one doubts Taurasi has some gas in the tank but I believe she shouldn't get an Olympic team spot just because she's Diana.

Reaction Score
They tried, but given how much Nneka has already played for the USA senior national team, there was basically never any possibility of that happening. Chiney was approved so I guess that is still possible.

Nigeria's national team is a mess as AfroBasket starts on Friday. The government had major issues with the federation and withdrew them from all senior national team competition before reinstating the teams. That meant new coaches friendly with the power structure. Rather than reach out to the women who had made them three-time defending champions to get them back on board, they announced tryouts a few weeks ago so they are going to have to defend their crown with some less experienced players.

Back to the United States, I would assume that they try to have some kind of fall camp, especially since more and more possible players seem to be declining to play overseas. I would also assume that Unrivaled will take a break in February for national team play as the team will still participate in Olympic qualifying.
Well they pulled it together and won.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
The soccer fiasco may open the eyes of the basketball selection committee about how precious those spots are and the danger of reserving spots for players over 35.

Reaction Score
The soccer fiasco may open the eyes of the basketball selection committee about how precious those spots are and the danger of reserving spots for players over 35.
That was my first thought as well. The goal should be to get the best and most consistent players to represent us at the Olympics. The world is catching up and giving legacy spots seems like a surefire way to not get the gold.

Reaction Score
Agreed and no one doubts Taurasi has some gas in the tank but I believe she shouldn't get an Olympic team spot just because she's Diana.
But isn’t that basically what they did for Catchings in the last Olympics?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
As for the DT Olympic question. This is a team sport and I wouldn't discount the PR value USA Basketball would place on her inclusion. The media loves these stories of consecutive appearances and gold medals. She certainly wouldn't hurt the team as they have plenty of bodies. Also this is a situation where she only has to play very limited minutes. The reason (for the most part) she isn't playing her best basketball lately is because she has played too many minutes for her age. As you recall Seattle managed Sue Bird's minutes very well and very carefully in her last few seasons. Unfortunately the Mercury's questionable management team is not very good at such things.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Catchings' last Olympics was in 2016. That was the year the selection committee left out Candace Parker; most felt she was left off in favor of either Catchings or Stewart.

Reaction Score
Catchings' last Olympics was in 2016. That was the year the selection committee left out Candace Parker; most felt she was left off in favor of either Catchings or Stewart.
Thanks for the correction.

Reaction Score
Agreed that Catchings was the last player used in 2016 but I have no idea if that spot was “saved” for her or what. Catchings was still playing at a pretty high level when the team was announced.

I don’t have an issue if DT makes it in 2024 but I don’t think she should get it “just because” of who she is. It depends on who else is available and the health of everyone by the time it rolls around.

Reaction Score
eBTWjLsAS0Cv8uUR5ifTpQ.jpg

Groups for February qualifiers. The top two teams besides France and the United States in their groups will join them along with the top three teams in the other two groups. Canada, Puerto Rico, Colombia, and Venezuela play for the last two Americas spots in November.

Reaction Score
eBTWjLsAS0Cv8uUR5ifTpQ.jpg

Groups for February qualifiers. The top two teams besides France and the United States in their groups will join them along with the top three teams in the other two groups. Canada, Puerto Rico, Colombia, and Venezuela play for the last two Americas spots in November.
Will be interesting to see who Canada sends to the Americas event next month. Can't see Edwards, Prosper, Ejim or Russell being available. Hopefully Nurse, Carleton and Amihere will be this time around.

Reaction Score
I can remember that during the Olympic selections before the last one, the reational for adding Bird and DT was the veteran leadership they would add. Well this last Olympic team was certanly not lacking in that respect. They played better as a team than any I have seen previously. They were also very good defensivly. Might bringing back an Alpha player who is past their prime might actually hurt the chemistry the present players have with each other. Would DT even settle for being an end of the bench player who does not try to help run the team? I think that problem reared its ugly head between Diggens and DT with the Merc. Its not just DT's physical decline, but also her dominate personalities affect on the present team. Would respect for her legacy impell the present leaders to defer to her in respect to leadership?

Reaction Score
I can remember that during the Olympic selections before the last one, the reational for adding Bird and DT was the veteran leadership they would add. Well this last Olympic team was certanly not lacking in that respect. They played better as a team than any I have seen previously. They were also very good defensivly. Might bringing back an Alpha player who is past their prime might actually hurt the chemistry the present players have with each other. Would DT even settle for being an end of the bench player who does not try to help run the team? I think that problem reared its ugly head between Diggens and DT with the Merc. Its not just DT's physical decline, but also her dominate personalities affect on the present team. Would respect for her legacy impell the present leaders to defer to her in respect to leadership?
Based on the performance of the 2022 World Cup roster, this question may have already been answered. The roster in Australia had plenty of alpha players to fill the gap.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Hard to say and depends on the group of players. I don't think DT is close to being one of the top guards in the USA right now and would prefer a spot go to a younger guard. Would much rather see someone like Plum, Laney, Clark, Copper, Arike or Young get the spot. I'm also not sold on Diggins-Smith taking a spot either to be honest, though she was playing at a very high level last year. She's never been a player who screams, "team chemistry" and I don't know if she'll do well as a leader for USA basketball. I think it's crystal clear though that those 2 probably shouldn't be on the roster together based on interactions over the past year and a half.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Roster for one of the National Team games.

Wasn't planning to attend, but perhaps i can drive down there to boo a few of the National Team players... Not saying which ones :rolleyes:

Or would that be unpatriotic??? Who is the coach of the team?

Reaction Score
The PG position seems to be the biggest question at this point. Gray seemed like the likely starter with maybe Ionescu as the backup, but if Gray can't go Caitlin or Paige might be a possibility, but obviously February wouldn't work for either but they could be available by summer.

Reaction Score
I want Young on the Olympic team. I think she proved she's elite, and definitely fits into the new identity for team USA. One of the most complete 2-way guards in the world.

Reaction Score
The PG position seems to be the biggest question at this point. Gray seemed like the likely starter with maybe Ionescu as the backup, but if Gray can't go Caitlin or Paige might be a possibility, but obviously February wouldn't work for either but they could be available by summer.
Not sure how they would be selected over others on this list like Plum, Howard or Ogunbowale. I think the PG pool is deeper than what you believe.

Reaction Score
Not sure how they would be selected over others on this list like Plum, Howard or Ogunbowale. I think the PG pool is deeper than what you believe.
I really don't think Arike or Rhyne would be the ideal PG for Team USA and while Plum can play it reasonably well, I'm don't think she should be the primary ball handler. I feel the same way about Ionescu, Young or Loyd.

Honestly Team USA did themselves no favors with PG depth by relying on Sue for so many years and never truly breaking in another guard. Gray is easily the best in the game right now but her health is a concern. PB and Clark may be pressed into action a little sooner than expected if there is a need.

Reaction Score
I really don't think Arike or Rhyne would be the ideal PG for Team USA and while Plum can play it reasonably well, I'm don't think she should be the primary ball handler. I feel the same way about Ionescu, Young or Loyd.

Honestly Team USA did themselves no favors with PG depth by relying on Sue for so many years and never truly breaking in another guard. Gray is easily the best in the game right now but her health is a concern. PB and Clark may be pressed into action a little sooner than expected if there is a need.

Good point regarding the reliance on Bird. The Gray injury situation is definitely something to monitor. Has there been an official diagnosis yet? I think we're still in the dark on that.

Reaction Score
Good point regarding the reliance on Bird. The Gray injury situation is definitely something to monitor. Has there been an official diagnosis yet? I think we're still in the dark on that.
To my knowledge there is nothing official on Gray.

Before the 2016 Olympics I was basically saying to anyone who cared or listened the US team needed to bring in at least one young guard to help out Bird and DT. Then I watched the tournament and was stunned at how good the two of them looked. This was after both women changed their fitness and training programs. It added years to both their careers I wouldn't have guessed.

That being said the team still didn't have a young guard on it. In 21 the team had SDS, Gray, Loyd and Atkins so it helped but the availability/willingness to play is up in the air for the two natural PGs of those 4. I could easily see Clark or PB being called into action if needed.

Reaction Score
I just don't seeing Team USA using a PG that is potentially still in college. The PG role is so important and the physicality of FIBA is way different than the NCAA. Wouldn't be surprised if we see some of AT playing point forward to help in that position. At the end of the day having a healthy BG, A'ja, Stewie and AT is basically impossible to beat on both ends of the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom