2024 Olympics team discussion... | The Boneyard

2024 Olympics team discussion...

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The 2024 Olympics are just a year away, and it will once again be quite an accomplishment to make the team given the depth of talent at USA's disposal. [Yes, I'm bored]

IMO, I think, if healthy, there are actually a fair amount of "locks"

1. Wilson
2. Stewart
3. Griner
4. Plum
5. C. Gray
6. A. Thomas
7. J. Young
8. J. Loyd

Near locks
9. N. Collier (She's shown she's back and better than ever)
10. Ionescu (In this category because the options at backup PG are slim, plus she's proven to be an elite 3-point shooter)

If I'm right, that leaves only 2 slots left, and as you can imagine, the competition is fierce:

S. Austin (World Cup team)
B. Jones (if healthy) (World Cup team)
N. Howard
N. Smith

Notes: I got to think Boston has the advantage here (especially with Jones coming off injury). Austin beat her out last year, but that was before Boston got more WNBA seasoning. She also would be the only other pure 5 on the team besides Griner. Got to think Team USA is going to want to give her big time experience.

Wings/Guards:
R. Howard
A. Ogunbowale
K. Copper (World Cup team)
A. Gray
B. Laney (World Cup team)
A. Atkins (World Cup team)
K. Mitchell
Maybe put Clark and Bueckers here

Notes: I mean, take your pick. I might give slight advantage to Howard because of her youth and upside, but Copper was a starter on the World Cup team last summer pre injury, and A. Gray has been outstanding in the league. Atkins was on the last Olympics team, but that was before Jackie Young went into beast mode. Arike is talented enough but seems like her style has never meshed well with Team USA.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would hope both DT and USA Basketball would understand it's time for others to gain experience.

I love Diana, but she is not playing her best basketball. Though Diana is experienced and clutch, Plum, Young, and Loyd are playing better than she is right now. And those 3 did well in international play recently.

I agree with our Rutgers visitor about the top 8, but I think Phee is also a lock, especially with Cheryl as the Head Coach.

Reaction Score
I would hope both DT and USA Basketball would understand it's time for others to gain experience.
I don't think there's any question about what she's contributed to USA Basketball and she's one of my favorite players, and I agree. This is a definite honor and folks who deserve it based on their current performance should get the nod, not because of anything they've done in the past. I just don't think she's playing at that level any more, despite glimpses that we see sometimes. I mean before you even get to her name, there's some serious talent that's going to be left home.

Great thread topic too btw - I think Bri Jones and SDS are both pretty high on the potential list, so I do agree that how they come back from injury will probably have some influence on the final roster.

Reaction Score
I love Diana, but she is not playing her best basketball. Though Diana is experienced and clutch, Plum, Young, and Loyd are playing better than she is right now. And those 3 did well in international play recently.

I agree with our Rutgers visitor about the top 8, but I think Phee is also a lock, especially with Cheryl as the Head Coach.
If Griner plays, in FIBA you don't need another center.
A'ja, Stewie, Thomas, and Collier would eat up all the other minutes needed.
Then you add Plum, C Gray, Loyd, Young, Atkins for defense, Sabrina and Diggins Smith if healthy.

Reaction Score
Not disagreeing. Not sayin she deserves it either.
The DT question is interesting. As the GOAT many would support allowing her to make the decision....not only for this experience but the retirement decision. She has one year remaining on her Mercury contract. I'm not certain where I fall on giving her the ultimate decision. I am certain that every time I now see her play, I remember Willie Mays in that Mets uniform.....and I am sad.

Reaction Score
The DT question is interesting. As the GOAT many would support allowing her to make the decision....not only for this experience but the retirement decision. She has one year remaining on her Mercury contract. I'm not certain where I fall on giving her the ultimate decision. I am certain that every time I now see her play, I remember Willie Mays in that Mets uniform.....and I am sad.
DT shouldn't be on the next Olympic team, it's time to bring in new talent.
She doesn't want a last season like Sue where everyone knows it's the last game there.
DT is not the player she was, injuries and time have slowed her.
Defensively she can't guard anyone, as someone said it reminds them of Willie Mays with the Mets.
I remember that, it's terrible to see a great one playing when they no longer have the ability.

Reaction Score
Yeah. The question of having Diana on Team USA is tough. We all know and respect DT for all that she has done for the game of women's basketball. I am sure that in some fashion, DT will get a roster spot as a retirement honor and respect.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
I think DT will get one of the last spots if healthy, sort of what they did with Tamicka Catchings on the Rio team. I don't see any way Skylar Diggins-Smith is part of the next or future Olympic teams.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Clark or Bueckers received invites to the trials so they can get them involved in the pool for the Sr. National Team.

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The 2024 Olympics are just a year away, and it will once again be quite an accomplishment to make the team given the depth of talent at USA's disposal. [Yes, I'm bored]

IMO, I think, if healthy, there are actually a fair amount of "locks"

1. Wilson
2. Stewart
3. Griner
4. Plum
5. C. Gray
6. A. Thomas
7. J. Young
8. J. Loyd

Near locks
9. N. Collier (She's shown she's back and better than ever)
10. Ionescu (In this category because the options at backup PG are slim, plus she's proven to be an elite 3-point shooter)

Great discussion topic!
Personally, I am not so sure Jewel Loyd is a lock. I know she was on the Tokyo squad and two WC teams, but she can be high volume/low efficiency at times.

Frankly, I would move Napheesa Collier into the "locks" category ahead of Loyd, given her ability to play inside and outside and defend in the post and outside the paint.

Alyssa Thomas might not be a lock, either, as her lack of outside shooting is not ideal in the international game -- and with so many ballhanlders available.

Given the fact she has not been selected for the 2012, 2016, and 2020 Olympics, I am curious if USAB would approach Nneka Ogwumike about being on the squad. She has been having an amazing year, and, like Collier, offers versatility in a power forward role.

Reaction Score
Alyssa Thomas was REALLY good at the last World Cup, averaging 10ppg, 7rpg, and and 4.3apg. I think she proved her versatility translates to the international game. Plus, the US has plenty of shooters.
I wondered how Thomas would be on the WC team and she was everywhere and filled the stats sheet. I'd say she's in if she wants to be.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
The Nneka train left the station a few years ago thanks to USA Basketball's 'decision' making. I thought she and Chiney indicated they'd play for Nigeria.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom