2024 Olympics team discussion... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2024 Olympics team discussion...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The best options at PG are now (1) a player who has an unspecified, though potentially serious injury and (2) another player who retired a full year ago. I hope Chelsea will be ok.

Reaction Score
The best options at PG are now (1) a player who has an unspecified, though potentially serious injury and (2) another player who retired a full year ago. I hope Chelsea will be ok.
Surely if Chelsea’s injury was that serious we would have heard. Dont think it’s an Achilles. She didn’t have the boot on during the parade, but said she will wear it to the Drake concert. She was walking pretty good at the celebration.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I really don't think Arike or Rhyne would be the ideal PG for Team USA and while Plum can play it reasonably well, I'm don't think she should be the primary ball handler. I feel the same way about Ionescu, Young or Loyd.

Honestly Team USA did themselves no favors with PG depth by relying on Sue for so many years and never truly breaking in another guard. Gray is easily the best in the game right now but her health is a concern. PB and Clark may be pressed into action a little sooner than expected if there is a need.
Agree regarding Sue, though I don’t think you can fault USA after she was so good for so long and such a respected player and leader.

They also expected to have Gray and SDS available this cycle, but if Gray has a torn Achilles she might not be ready to play and SDS/Taurasi are oil and water which means SDS is probably out. With all of their politics, I am guessing USA basketball will prioritize giving Diana a 6th gold over giving a younger player an opportunity. Honestly though USA is fine regardless of who is on the roster. They could create a USA-B and USA-C team and our country would finish with gold/silver/bronze. The depth of talent in the USA is so much deeper than anywhere else in the world and they can afford to pick and choose who they want on the roster without risking to lose the gold medal. There also isn’t another powerful basketball country like Russia or Australia in the 00s who had talent capable of upsetting the US.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
While it wasn't the wrong decision, USA basketball got in a bit of a bind at the PG spot because they relied for a while on two of the greatest of all time--Sue Bird and Lindsey Whalen--who both happened to be around the same age.

That lead Courtney Vandersloot, who dreamed of playing on the USA team, to decide to play for Hungary after 2016: Courtney Vandersloot now a part of Hungary’s national team program

There are other options: Natasha Cloud is fantastic, but may be a bit too controversial for team USA's liking. I'd also give Jordan Canada a look. She's a first team all WNBA defense selection who finally developed an outside shot!

Reaction Score
Surely if Chelsea’s injury was that serious we would have heard. Dont think it’s an Achilles. She didn’t have the boot on during the parade, but said she will wear it to the Drake concert. She was walking pretty good at the celebration.

The boot was on prior to Chelsea getting one stage at the parade. Recall seeing a picture of her and Colson hamming it up while she rolled in on her scooter. She even joked about taking it off when on stage for that portion of the celebration. It definitely was on during the Usher concert.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While it wasn't the wrong decision, USA basketball got in a bit of a bind at the PG spot because they relied for a while on two of the greatest of all time--Sue Bird and Lindsey Whalen--who both happened to be around the same age.

That lead Courtney Vandersloot, who dreamed of playing on the USA team, to decide to play for Hungary after 2016: Courtney Vandersloot now a part of Hungary’s national team program

There are other options: Natasha Cloud is fantastic, but may be a bit too controversial for team USA's liking. I'd also give Jordan Canada a look. She's a first team all WNBA defense selection who finally developed an outside shot!
Cloud already played for Jordan's national team so she is no longer an option.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Team U.S.A. Qualifies both Women, Men for Paris Olympics 2024

According to this article by Brian Windhorst in ESPN:

"USA Basketball is the first federation to qualify both men's and women's 3x3 and 5x5 teams for the Paris Olympics. The men's 5x5 national team earned a spot last summer by finishing fourth at the World Cup in Manila. The women qualified by winning the World Cup in 2022 in Sydney. Both teams won gold in 2021.

"The women's 3x3 team holds a No. 2 FIBA ranking, earning an Olympic berth along with No. 1 China and No. 3 France. The American women won the World Cup gold last summer iand the Pan Am gold last month. Team USA won the first 3x3 women's Olympic gold in 2021 in Tokyo."

In regards to the women, it will be interesting to see what direction U.S.A. basketball goes in regarding who plays on the team for the Olympics. Three key members from 2021 -- Kelsey Plum, Allisha Gray and Jackie Young -- are in line to be on the 5x5 team this time around. The last American World Cup team consisted of two former WNBA and collegiate players -- Cierra Burdick and Linnae Harper -- and two collegians: Cameron Brink and Hayley Van Lith. The Pan Am team consisted of Burdick, Azura Stevens, Blake Dietrick and and Lexie Hull.

Think it's safe to say that while those seven will be under consideration, the lens will be opened up considerably for the Olympics, particularly for guards who might not make the 5x5 team. For instance, Arike Ogunbowale -- who has competed and won medals in 3x3 competition -- could be in play here. Of those seven, Azura Stevens and Cameron Brink would offer height and movement at the "big" position and Burdick seems to a constant (and also 6'2"). Still, I'd expect other names to be floated....

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Team U.S.A. Qualifies both Women, Men for Paris Olympics 2024

According to this article by Brian Windhorst in ESPN:

"USA Basketball is the first federation to qualify both men's and women's 3x3 and 5x5 teams for the Paris Olympics. The men's 5x5 national team earned a spot last summer by finishing fourth at the World Cup in Manila. The women qualified by winning the World Cup in 2022 in Sydney. Both teams won gold in 2021.

"The women's 3x3 team holds a No. 2 FIBA ranking, earning an Olympic berth along with No. 1 China and No. 3 France. The American women won the World Cup gold last summer iand the Pan Am gold last month. Team USA won the first 3x3 women's Olympic gold in 2021 in Tokyo."

In regards to the women, it will be interesting to see what direction U.S.A. basketball goes in regarding who plays on the team for the Olympics. Three key members from 2021 -- Kelsey Plum, Allisha Gray and Jackie Young -- are in line to be on the 5x5 team this time around. The last American World Cup team consisted of two former WNBA and collegiate players -- Cierra Burdick and Linnae Harper -- and two collegians: Cameron Brink and Hayley Van Lith. The Pan Am team consisted of Burdick, Azura Stevens, Blake Dietrick and and Lexie Hull.

Think it's safe to say that while those seven will be under consideration, the lens will be opened up considerably for the Olympics, particularly for guards who might not make the 5x5 team. For instance, Arike Ogunbowale -- who has competed and won medals in 3x3 competition -- could be in play here. Of those seven, Azura Stevens and Cameron Brink would offer height and movement at the "big" position and Burdick seems to a constant (and also 6'2"). Still, I'd expect other names to be floated....

Stay tuned!
It may depend on how much massaging USA Basketball and the players are willing to do to get the rankings manipulated to get players they want in the right place. Two of the four players must be in the top 10 individual ranking of players that nationality. For the United States right now, that is:

17147Arica CarterUnited States180,569
213178Camille ZimmermanUnited States153,998
315182Cierra BurdickUnited States149,734
432242Blake DietrickUnited States113,420
537252Hailey Van LithUnited States109,748
639263Linnae HarperUnited States106,624
764392Madison Teonie Christiana ScottUnited States77,831
869430Cameron BrinkUnited States73,424
974457Azana Nahimana BainesUnited States69,891
1079483Caroline LittlefieldUnited States66,391

The highest ranked player who finished the last WNBA season on a team is Lexie Hull. For Tokyo, USA Basketball created a bunch of tournaments that involved the players they wanted, a bunch of other people who were available, including Kelly Faris, and DII college players. Slovenia was apparently really pursuing Azura Stevens for naturalization, but if she makes the Olympic 3x3 team, that could mean that turning them down does not hurt her as much financially.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Startling lineup for Team USA against Tenn:

Griner
Laney
Copper
DT
Atkins

Pretty much everyone on Team USA had a good game, which is not surprising given the level of competition. Sabrina Ionescu, who is maybe the closest thing left to a PG on the roster, did show out well: 9 assists (0 turnovers). Jackie Young was also excellent (6 assists to 1to). UT did out-rebound Team USA, which would be more concerning if Griner and Boston weren't the only post player on this game's roster.

Rickea Jackson is an obvious WNBA level player.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
National Team playing @ Duke on ACC Network right now.

Kennedy Brown played against the US team as a Fr. at Oregon St.

Copper/Taurasi/Laney/Young/Griner starting.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
its on tape delay, the game was played at noon. I won't spoil the outcome.
I guess I'm just living in the past.

I had it on for a while, but my attention waned. I think I've reached my saturation point of hoops for the day.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
USA squeaked by.
They weren't looking overwhelming while I was watching. Missing quite a few key players who almost certainly will be on the Olympic squad.

Reaction Score
From what I can tell, is that the players who are a lock for the team weren’t invited to the college tour. The players who the coaches wanted to see more of is who participated the last couple weeks.

Reaction Score
From what I can tell, is that the players who are a lock for the team weren’t invited to the college tour. The players who the coaches wanted to see more of is who participated the last couple weeks.
Agree, although you would think BG is a lock. Wonder why no Plum. Is she a lock? We have A’ja, Stewie, Phee and ?

Reaction Score
Agree, although you would think BG is a lock. Wonder why no Plum. Is she a lock? We have A’ja, Stewie, Phee and ?
Yeah, maybe they wanted to get BG more reps…since she missed the World Cup. Plum was originally on the training camp list and then we never saw her. Not sure what’s going on there.

Reaction Score
I think Rickea Jackson has the potential to be better than Rhyne Howard and Kaleah Copper, maybe something akin to Jackie Young if she played the 4. Could be a future Olympics team member.

What do you all think of Clark being invited up? I don’t think it happens if Gray is healthy because she’s probably the best point in the game right now, but I honestly think Clark may enter the W better than a lot of its current point guards.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
T
It may depend on how much massaging USA Basketball and the players are willing to do to get the rankings manipulated to get players they want in the right place. Two of the four players must be in the top 10 individual ranking of players that nationality. For the United States right now, that is:

17147Arica CarterUnited States180,569
213178Camille ZimmermanUnited States153,998
315182Cierra BurdickUnited States149,734
432242Blake DietrickUnited States113,420
537252Hailey Van LithUnited States109,748
639263Linnae HarperUnited States106,624
764392Madison Teonie Christiana ScottUnited States77,831
869430Cameron BrinkUnited States73,424
974457Azana Nahimana BainesUnited States69,891
1079483Caroline LittlefieldUnited States66,391

The highest ranked player who finished the last WNBA season on a team is Lexie Hull. For Tokyo, USA Basketball created a bunch of tournaments that involved the players they wanted, a bunch of other people who were available, including Kelly Faris, and DII college players. Slovenia was apparently really pursuing Azura Stevens for naturalization, but if she makes the Olympic 3x3 team, that could mean that turning them down does not hurt her as much financially.
Thanks for that information. Very informative. I had, truth be told, forgotten about the rankings system, but had -- oddly -- remembered something about the pre-Tokyo tournaments. It will be interesting to see how U.S.A. Basketball decides to play this. Are they comfortable with, say, a Brink and one guard from this list, paired with WNBA players who are not going to make the 5x5 team and/or seem right for the half-court game?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Barring injury, you got to think the post is basically locked:
B. Griner
A. Wilson
B. Stewart
N. Collier
A. Thomas

Chelsea Gray, if healthy, is a lock.

Would be shocked if J. Loyd isn't a lock.

That leaves five open slots. One probably goes to a post player (A. Boston I'd think is the fave), you probably need another PG (Ionescu is leading candidate, though far from lock), and then pick any 3 of the following guards/wings:

K. Plum
J. Young
D. Taurasi
K. Copper
Arike
R. Howard
A. Gray
B. Laney
A. Atkins

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Barring injury, you got to think the post is basically locked:
B. Griner
A. Wilson
B. Stewart
N. Collier
A. Thomas

Chelsea Gray, if healthy, is a lock.

Would be shocked if J. Loyd isn't a lock.

That leaves five open slots. One probably goes to a post player (A. Boston I'd think is the fave), you probably need another PG (Ionescu is leading candidate, though far from lock), and then pick any 3 of the following guards/wings:

K. Plum
J. Young
D. Taurasi
K. Copper
Arike
R. Howard
A. Gray
B. Laney
A. Atkins
Solid post and reasoning.
  • I, too, expect J. Loyd to be on the team. She demonstrated to the previous coaching staff her willingness to play any role, particularly on defense. Coach Reeve, of course, was on that staff and will remember that.
  • The question mark in all this, of course, is the state of Chelse Gray's injury. If she's alright, pretty straight forward: look for one guard who can spell her at the point and go from there.
  • If she's not healthy, go with multiple folks taking a shot at lead guard? Or look at a Sky or Canada?

The only "usual" name I see missing is Elena Della Donne. Do you think her time has passed given the U.S.A. has Stewie and Collier in that kind of hybrid forward role?

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Great points Dillon.

SDD is one big question mark on her status in general. If she's back on the court and playing at her 2022 level, she has to be a part of convo, I think whether or not Gray is healthy. If Gray is out, I think USA BBall needs to give Canada a very hard look (then again, if Gray is out, who plays PG for the Aces? Plum? Maybe she continues that for team USA).

On EDD--this is really about her health and what she is prioritizing. Does she want another Olympic gold, at risk of making her less productive for the Mystics? Will she even be at 100%? I do think Team USA might not want to rely on someone with iffy health when they have a more of a need for a pure wing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom