2024-2025 Schedule to be Released Today | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2024-2025 Schedule to be Released Today

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Idk which group is worse - the uconn football complainers or the “why aren’t the good games at XL so I don’t have to commute as far” group - really is tough to choose. But I will, the latter is.
Neither. It's the group that doesn't buy season tickets and support the program sending it in to the people that do.

Reaction Score
Ultimately the 'problem' with the XL schedule is that fans have to purchase their tickets before knowing the matchups. If the schedule was available during the renewal/purchasing process then fans would be able to make an informed decision.

Reaction Score
Season ticket holder at both venues here. Based on projections for this year, the slate at XL is brutal. I do like more weekend games at Gampel, much rather make the drive on a weekend than during the week after work. Hartford has 3 buy games, plus DePaul. That is brutal. Gampel has 2 buy games, the premier OOC game, and doesn't have DePaul. This is the worst split since I became a season ticket holder in the 11-12 season. I bought 2 additional Hartford seats this year; that might end up being one and done.

Reaction Score
Not best games only. But weekend games? Yes, that is what I perceive from message traffic on here. Weekend games while students are on campus, play at Gampel. Weeknight games? Play at XL. Games while students are on break? XL.

Funny that all of a sudden playing Villanova and Gtown at XL is a slap in the face to XL season ticket holders. That's some great revisionist history as well.
Based off of how they have been and how they are projected this year, those teams do not carry the cache they have in the past. That is especially true for Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Kinda make sense when you think about. Weekend Gampel games/premier games will help them make more. Also XL didn’t have some of the dates available

Reaction Score
Every year when the XL/Gampel split is announced, one of the first things I do is run the schedule against preseason projections and it usually comes out close to even, alternating a small advantage to either venue in a given year.

This is how it matches up this year (using Bart Torvik's preseason projections):

Gampel
Sacred Heart -- 349
Texas A&M-Commerce -- 355
Baylor -- 14
Providence -- 49
Creighton -- 13
St. John’s -- 15
Marquette -- 25
Seton Hall -- 92

XL
New Hampshire -- 324
Le Moyne -- 315
Maryland ES -- 362
Xavier -- 37
Butler -- 76
DePaul -- 119
Villanova -- 43
Georgetown -- 106

The average Torvik rank of all games: 114 Gampel, 153 at XL.
The average of the top 6 games (removing the 2 worst cupcakes at each) 35 Gampel, 116 XL
The average of the 5 best games: 23 Gampel, 74.5 XL

Reaction Score
Doesn't the weekend/weekday thing make sense?

Have the weekday games in Hartford so folks can attend after work, and have the weekend games in Storrs when people have more time to travel anyway.

Reaction Score
Sorry folks, as someone who lives out of state and won't be able to attend a game either way, I love that our marquee matchups are in front of the better crowd that also looks better on TV.
Despite being a repeat XL Season ticket holders...I 100% agree...I just wish I could have made an informed decision.

I know there are some limitations out of UConn's control...it is just unfortunate. If I knew then what I know now...I would have opted for Gampel instead despite the higher price and longer commute...but my wife is glad that I'm not blocking out a bunch of weekends to go to games with my buddies

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Every year when the XL/Gampel split is announced, one of the first things I do is run the schedule against preseason projections and it usually comes out close to even, alternating a small advantage to either venue in a given year.

This is how it matches up this year (using Bart Torvik's preseason projections):

Gampel
Sacred Heart -- 349
Texas A&M-Commerce -- 355
Baylor -- 14
Providence -- 49
Creighton -- 13
St. John’s -- 15
Marquette -- 25
Seton Hall -- 92

XL
New Hampshire -- 324
Le Moyne -- 315
Maryland ES -- 362
Xavier -- 37
Butler -- 76
DePaul -- 119
Villanova -- 43
Georgetown -- 106

The average Torvik rank of all games: 114 Gampel, 153 at XL.
The average of the top 6 games (removing the 2 worst cupcakes at each) 35 Gampel, 116 XL
The average of the 5 best games: 23 Gampel, 74.5 XL
FWIW, I remember a time where UConn scheduled 5 teams higher than 300, 2006.

Reaction Score

Have the weekday games in Hartford so folks can attend after work, and have the weekend games in Storrs when people have more time to travel anyway.
For the most part but it doesn't make sense to put all the crappy games at one venue and all the good games at the other venue.

I prefer games on campus but the reality is we have two home venues, it doesn't feel right to screw over the people who pay for tickets to one of those home venues.

Reaction Score

IMO the Athletic Dept used an approach that maximizes team success and student fans...which is great...I now just ask that they need to publicly formalize this approach and stick to it going forward so ticket buyers are aware that the goal will be to have 'best' opponents and weekday games at Gampel...so again we can make informed decisions

Reaction Score
I'd even forgive it if they let XL holders buy gampel single games like they used too (heck even put a limit on how many) -- but I have a feeling those will be attached with the garbage XL games that I already have like the packages they did last season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was going off the midweek at Hartford and weekend at Gampel formula.
A formula I've been advocating for years. They finally institute it the year it bites me in the ass. Oh, the irony! But that Baylor game should have been in Hartford. The last Big East - Big 12 game at Gampel had a weak crowd.

Reaction Score
A formula I've been advocating for years. They finally institute it the year it bites me in the ass. Oh, the irony! But that Baylor game should have been in Hartford. The last Big East - Big 12 game at Gampel had a weak crowd.
To he fair they also got a horrific team

Reaction Score
T
It's funny how people think having Villanova and Georgetown at XL as part of a bad schedule. Those are 2 of the games that I want to go to as I have friends and relatives who went to both schools and they are rivals. And, you will get fans of both schools to go to Hartford to see the games. I think they should switch one attractive game from Gampel to XL for more balance. There is an issue with the Big East office. UConn has 4 weekend home games (including 1 Friday night game) and 7 weekend away games. Maybe it's a way to get back at UConn for flirting with the Big 12.
The Big East office continues to screw UConn, even after 2 NC’s in consecutive years. Val has a poor track record and she seems to be building on her WNBA failures.

Reaction Score
Neither. It's the group that doesn't buy season tickets and support the program sending it in to the people that do.
You nailed it. I have similar quality level seats at XL and Gampel. Combining seat donation with ticket, my XL seats are $1,200 and Gampel $900 a piece. So that’s 33% more for perhaps 50% less quality. While many focus on the 4 best home games, let’s not forget 3 cupcake OOC games vs 2 for Gampel.
A general rule going forward should be to have the projected top home conference and OOC game in different buildings.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'd even forgive it if they let XL holders buy gampel single games like they used too (heck even put a limit on how many) -- but I have a feeling those will be attached with the garbage XL games that I already have like the packages they did last season.

What Gampel single game tickets?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom