2023 WNBA Free Agency | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2023 WNBA Free Agency

Reaction Score
So between LV and NY, which team do y’all think will be better? They’re far and away the top two teams in the league. I’d be shocked if they aren’t in the finals.

I’d probably give the edge to LV because they have fewer pieces to integrate (and Parker showed she can fit in with anybody with the Sky), but at the same time it feels insane to bet against the NY lineup. Jones/Ionescu/Sloot/Stewart, wow.
It's tough! lol. I think the starting lineups are pretty even, though there are some interesting debates: Stewie vs Wilson, Ionescu vs Plum. But I think the biggest difference is the bench. If NYL brings back Johannes, they have her, Onyenwere, Thorton, Dolson and potentially the 6th pick. If that's someone like Maddy Siegrist, they are pretty loaded. I like that Vegas got Alysha Clark and Riquina Williams off the bench, but other than that I'm not sure they have much proven bench players. I know Hammon plays the starters a lot anyways, but still.

I also think a lot of the Liberty have played together overseas. I'm pretty sure JJ, Sloot, and Stewie have played with one another overseas. So roster wise and in terms of who may win the most games, I think NYL has the edge. But in an actual finals matchup, I'm not sure Sloot or Ionescu can guard Plum and Gray, which I think is a big deal.

Reaction Score
So between LV and NY, which team do y’all think will be better? They’re far and away the top two teams in the league. I’d be shocked if they aren’t in the finals.

I’d probably give the edge to LV because they have fewer pieces to integrate (and Parker showed she can fit in with anybody with the Sky), but at the same time it feels insane to bet against the NY lineup. Jones/Ionescu/Sloot/Stewart, wow.
The bench of Dolson, Han Yu, Johannes, Thornton, and Onyenwere, not counting Richard's is better then LV has. The first 3 could start on most teams.
Dolson, Han Yu, and Johannes are good 3 PT shooters. Han Yu and Johannes both shot 40+ from 3.
And sometimes you might have Han Yu, JJ, and Stewie on the floor, a nightmare for anyone including Vegas.
And everyone on NY is 30 or under except Sloot.

Reaction Score
It's tough! lol. I think the starting lineups are pretty even, though there are some interesting debates: Stewie vs Wilson, Ionescu vs Plum. But I think the biggest difference is the bench. If NYL brings back Johannes, they have her, Onyenwere, Thorton, Dolson and potentially the 6th pick. If that's someone like Maddy Siegrist, they are pretty loaded. I like that Vegas got Alysha Clark and Riquina Williams off the bench, but other than that I'm not sure they have much proven bench players. I know Hammon plays the starters a lot anyways, but still.

I also think a lot of the Liberty have played together overseas. I'm pretty sure JJ, Sloot, and Stewie have played with one another overseas. So roster wise and in terms of who may win the most games, I think NYL has the edge. But in an actual finals matchup, I'm not sure Sloot or Ionescu can guard Plum and Gray, which I think is a big deal.
Plum and Gray can't guard Sloot or Ionescu. And when you get in the lane against the Liberty you have Stewie, JJ, and sometimes Han Yu.
They all are guick long and good shotblockers, who can change shots.

Reaction Score

I think this is a pretty good analysis. From my perspective (Aces fan) I think the comparison of starting lineups is very even except for the SF or 3 position. There I think Jackie Young has a significant edge over Laney.

As for backups, both teams after using most of their cap on the top 5, have managed to at least have three productive backups including a big, wing, and guard. Dolson, Thornton and Johannes for the Liberty and George, Clark and Williams for the Aces. If healthy those 8 for both squads should get the job done.

The tail end of the roster is still largely up in the air for both. In each case those will have to be rookie contracts or vet minimums. I think for the Aces Rupert has potential and certainly Han Yu looks like she could be more than that, but while reserved her contract is up. Can the Liberty bring her back at a vet minimum? She might be too good for that salary level, but if they do it would be a major plus for the Liberty.

There is also the possibility of vet ring chasers for those remaining spots. Someone whose market value is much higher, but a player who is willing to accept the minimum to potentially get a ring, so it will be interesting to see how those last spots fill out. Someone said the Aces for example will be left with about $23,000 in cap to work with on top of their existing contracts. While that doesn't sound like much it would allow them to replace up to 3 rookie scale contracts with potential vet minimum ring chasers if they become available. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
I'd say that's very much vice versa, so that particular issue cancels out
I was thinking the same thing. Ionescu and Sloot are much slower than Plum and Gray. As it stands Gray might be the most unguardable guard in the league going into this season.

I believe in the W it's really important to have good depth of at least 7-8 players. Anything more than that is gravy but not exactly a huge competitive advantage. Vegas and NY have that and those top 7-8 players that are going to determine who wins throughout the season and championships.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. Ionescu and Sloot are much slower than Plum and Gray. As it stands Gray might be the most unguardable guard in the league going into this season.
I looked at all the box scores of the games between the 3 teams. LV went 2-1 against NY and 3-1 against Chicago (including Commissioner's Cup Game). Ionescu had 2 really good games and one poor game. Sloot had one really good game but otherwise was kinda quiet in the series. Gray was all over the place. The most consistently productive player of the 4 mentioned in a total of 7 games was Plum.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Lindsay Allen signs a deal to return to Minnesota. Always been an "LA" fan: keeps working -- and improving -- in a low-key manner. Most notable improvements for her since college: the mid-range, pull-up jumper off the hard dribble; and, the three-pointer. Those years in Australia with the Melbourne Boomers helped!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I looked at all the box scores of the games between the 3 teams. LV went 2-1 against NY and 3-1 against Chicago (including Commissioner's Cup Game). Ionescu had 2 really good games and one poor game. Sloot had one really good game but otherwise was kinda quiet in the series. Gray was all over the place. The most consistently productive player of the 4 mentioned in a total of 7 games was Plum.
You need to add into analysis the factor of Stewie and JJ on defense.
When Seattle won in 2018, and 2020, the bedrock of the defense was Stewie and Howard's ability to block, and change shots because of their guickness, and ability to guard many positions.
NY has that same ability on defense with Stewie and JJ, they will take away places on the floor for Gray, and Plum to shoot.
You also have Han Yu coming off the bench, rebounding and shot selection will be tough against the Liberty as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
It seems like Han Xu is out of the rotation? JJ, Stewart, and Dolson will get the frontcourt minutes. Thornton is also on the roster

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
You need to add into analysis the factor of Stewie and JJ on defense.
When Seattle won in 2018, and 2020, the bedrock of the defense was Stewie and Howard's ability to block, and change shots because of their guickness, and ability to guard many positions.
NY has that same ability on defense with Stewie and JJ, they will take away places on the floor for Gray, and Plum to shoot.
You also have Han Yu coming off the bench, rebounding and shot selection will be tough against the Liberty as the season progresses.
Stewie and JJ have been in the league (granted not together) and the Aces have done fairly well against them. Yes they can do some things defensively, but they'll be pretty busy w/ Wilson and Parker and probably won't be available to help all that much on guards driving the lane.

Reaction Score
Great, great move for the Mystics. They only had 4 forwards/centers on the roster so they really needed someone with size and experience.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
So, many of us were trying to keep pace with anything/everything that was taking place in the WNBA with all the trades and initial signings. Here is a (very) thorough, team-by-team summary of each team's comings and goings up to this point; plus a look at what might happen next (for instance, what will happen with Dallas/Marina Mabrey?).

Good primer.

Reaction Score
It's easy during this rush of free agency to think about how to complete rosters, but it does make me wonder about the space for this year's rookie class. I predict great things for Boston if she does leave school and know there will be others who make teams who become difference makers.

Honeslty the WNBA just needs to have two rounds of the draft. I am unsure we will see any more than 8 or 10 make rosters and stick this year with all the talent out there.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Layshia Clarendon signs with LA Sparks to offer ball-handling options. Per @MSSportsGuy 's point, this would leave -- according to this article -- one possible position for a draftee to make the team.

https://www./wnba/los-angeles-sparks/how-layshia-clarendon-fits-the-los-angeles-sparks/

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Lindsay Allen signs a deal to return to Minnesota. Always been an "LA" fan: keeps working -- and improving -- in a low-key manner. Most notable improvements for her since college: the mid-range, pull-up jumper off the hard dribble; and, the three-pointer. Those years in Australia with the Melbourne Boomers helped!

BTW, former Stanford and Notre Dame power forward/center Maya Dodson also signs a training camp contract with Minnesota Lynx.

Reaction Score
Layshia Clarendon signs with LA Sparks to offer ball-handling options. Per @MSSportsGuy 's point, this would leave -- according to this article -- one possible position for a draftee to make the team.

https://www./wnba/los-angeles-sparks/how-layshia-clarendon-fits-the-los-angeles-sparks/
I get wanting to have options and realize not all the players who "sign" will be on the active rosters come tip off to the season but I really wonder how much room there will be for rookies this year.

I don't see Clarendon being able to offer a lot to a team, especially one in transition like the Sparks.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Reporter attempts to ask a question about Hamby and whoever is speaking says that Caldwell had a meeting and then she drops off the zoom call. Very odd.

On edit - if they didn't want to discuss the DH situation, or were instructed not to (legal ramifications), the guy could have easily said something like "this presser is for Candace's signing and I'd be happy to chat with you afterwards", but instead, it looks like someone terminates Caldwell's feed. Poor management of the situation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reporter attempts to ask a question about Hamby and whoever is speaking says that Caldwell had a meeting and then she drops off the zoom call. Very odd.

Wow. She's still on the call at the same time. Guessing they were hoping the question wasn't going to be asked.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Wow. She's still on the call at the same time. Guessing they were hoping the question wasn't going to be asked.
Yeah, as if that wasn't going to happen ;) Would've been the first question out of my mouth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom