2023 WNBA Free Agency | The Boneyard

2023 WNBA Free Agency

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
A lot of posts/forwards fill up this list. Where Stewie ends up will, rightfully, get a huge amount of attention. Will it affect Ezi Magbegor's movement? The decision(s) surrounding Brionna Jones will also be fascinating: Connecticut does not have the resources to keep her, so which team wants her? And/or will make moves to procure her services? And who does Chicago decide to keep? I've got to think Emma Meesseman, given her skill set and relatively young age for a big, is a priority.

As for guards, as the article notes, Marina Mabrey is in a good place, given her skill set and relatively young age. If I recall, Dallas will have to make a decision on keeping Mabrey or Teaira McCowan, or trading someone else to free up space to keep both of them.

Let the GM boardgames begin!

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Big question for me is where does Tina Charles land. She wants to win but there aren’t a lot of options for winning franchises who will take a chance on her, and she isn’t the player she was 5 years ago.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The Next has a preview on the Chicago Sky's free agency situation, from Parker and Meesseman to Vandersloot and Quigley.

https://www./wnba/chicago-sky/2023-wnba-free-agency-preview-chicago-sky/

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And Jenn Hatfield wrote in The Next about how free agency affects the Washington Mystics.

https://www./wnba/washington-mystics/washington-mystics-2023-free-agency-preview-wnba/

Reaction Score
One of the players that people on this board should be wondering about for free agency destinations is Lou. Not KLS, the Lou who is currently in college.

I have not seen it listed more officially anywhere, but based on multiple articles, it appears that she was born May 12, 1998. She entered Fairfield in 2018 so, strictly speaking, that meant that she went undrafted in the draft that year as an international since she was not in college yet. In theory, that means as soon as your season ends, any WNBA team should be able to immediately offer her a contract. There could always be some new rule made up to disallow this, but it is worth watching after the season and before the draft.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Time for The Next to look at the Indiana Fever. Writer Tony East believes Lin Dunn will look for a wing to join/complement Lexie Hull and/or Emily Engstler (if the Fever play big). Hull had a pretty solid year in the international summer circuit, so I'll be interested to see how this goes.

https://www./wnba/indiana-fever-2023-wnba-free-agency-preview/

Reaction Score
Time for The Next to look at the Indiana Fever. Writer Tony East believes Lin Dunn will look for a wing to join/complement Lexie Hull and/or Emily Engstler (if the Fever play big). Hull had a pretty solid year in the international summer circuit, so I'll be interested to see how this goes.

https://www./wnba/indiana-fever-2023-wnba-free-agency-preview/
Does not look good for a player like Victoria Vivians whom has been solid for them each year improving. If anything they should move on from Kelsey Mitchell and try to bring in a Veteran SG like Skylar Diggins home to compliment the #1 Pick.

Drob / Henderson
Diggins /Tiff Mitchell (If resigned) or #7 pick
Vivians/ Davis / Hull...i guess overall their SF position still needs a major Upgrade maybe with the #7 pick Selecting a player like Rickea Jackson could elevate this positions talent level for them.
Nalyssa Smith / Englester
#1 Pick (Aaliyah Boston)/ Queen Egbo
PLAYER (9)POS.AGEEXP.CONTRACT TYPECONTRACT TERMSAVG. SALARYEXPIRES
Kelsey MitchellG274Extension3 yr $618,000$206,0002025

Versus
Skylar Diggins-SmithG328Extension4 yr $899,480$224,8702024

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Does not look good for a player like Victoria Vivians whom has been solid for them each year improving. If anything they should move on from Kelsey Mitchell and try to bring in a Veteran SG like Skylar Diggins home to compliment the #1 Pick.

Drob / Henderson
Vivians/ Davis / Hull...i guess overall their SF position still needs a major Upgrade maybe with the #7 pick Selecting a player like Rickea Jackson could elevate this positions talent level for them.

Versus
Good point on Vivians...who has been improving and cresting upwards.

Diggins-Smith is going to have her second child sometime this spring (I believe), so who knows how available she'll be to any team. However, I know she still has strong ties in the South Bend area and could see landing in the Midwest as a good development. Could a Kelsey Mitchell-Diggins-Smith swap be of interest?

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Drob / Henderson

Versus

I wouldn't consider getting rid of Mitchell. She put up outstanding numbers a year ago and I think is starting to hit her peak. Reminds me of Augustus at Minnesota all of those years--great scorer who isn't capable of leading her team to success her own but can be a huge weapon when surrounded by a couple of good teammates. Mitchelle and Smith were bright spots on a dreadful team. I like the core of Smith/Mitchell/Boston and think that'll be a great grouping long term.

I'm not really sold on anyone else on their roster though. Engstler was fine and has good glue player intangibles but I don't see her becoming a starter or double digit scorer in the league. Same with Hull who really struggled as a rookie, she could be out of a roster spot depending on how camp goes. Vivians hasn't shot the ball at a reliable clip since pre-ACL and I don't see her being a solution for Indiana as a starter. I like Egbo as a backup option off the bench, same with Tiffany Mitchell, but I don't think either is starter material. This draft isn't deep, but I think Horston or Jackson could be a good fit at 7, but I'm not sure either makes a difference long term. If Indiana could somehow get both Diamond Miller and Aliyah Boston I think that'd be a huge win, though the odds of that happening are slim to none. Looking at other wings, it just isn't a strong class. Jones is a good player but too similar to Engstler IMO and isn't an elite scorer, I'm not sold on Joens/Siegrist as WNBA players, and others like Blackwell, Berger and Madi Williams I see as second round players in most drafts. Plus all of those players could return for another year, so it's sort of a crap shoot to see who stays vs who declares.

To be honest, another rough year wouldn't be the worst thing for Indiana, as they have some good young talent and 2024 has a lot of great prospects in Clark, Bueckers, Brink, and Reese, plus Fudd is draft eligible too and Cardoso might declare.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And now, it's time for The Next to preview the Minnesota Lynx, who have three players under non-cut contr
acts: Aerial Powers. Kayla McBride and Natalie Achonwa. Ace is pregnant and will probably miss the season, so she isn't going anywhere.
Napheesa Collier and Jess Shepard have signed contract extensions that are not guaranteed. Pheesa, of course, isn't going anywhere and Shepard is one of those players who can play at least two positions for you.
Cheryl Reeve likes experience but this might be a time to take the #2 pick because it's a max of $75K while a vet minimum is the same. Haley Jones? Diamond Miller? (There's no way Boston is slipping.)

https://www./wnba/minnesota-lynx/minnesota-lynx-2023-offseason-preview-wnba/

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I wouldn't consider getting rid of Mitchell. She put up outstanding numbers a year ago and I think is starting to hit her peak. Reminds me of Augustus at Minnesota all of those years--great scorer who isn't capable of leading her team to success her own but can be a huge weapon when surrounded by a couple of good teammates. Mitchelle and Smith were bright spots on a dreadful team. I like the core of Smith/Mitchell/Boston and think that'll be a great grouping long term.

I'm not really sold on anyone else on their roster though. Engstler was fine and has good glue player intangibles but I don't see her becoming a starter or double digit scorer in the league. Same with Hull who really struggled as a rookie, she could be out of a roster spot depending on how camp goes. Vivians hasn't shot the ball at a reliable clip since pre-ACL and I don't see her being a solution for Indiana as a starter. I like Egbo as a backup option off the bench, same with Tiffany Mitchell, but I don't think either is starter material. This draft isn't deep, but I think Horston or Jackson could be a good fit at 7, but I'm not sure either makes a difference long term. If Indiana could somehow get both Diamond Miller and Aliyah Boston I think that'd be a huge win, though the odds of that happening are slim to none. Looking at other wings, it just isn't a strong class. Jones is a good player but too similar to Engstler IMO and isn't an elite scorer, I'm not sold on Joens/Siegrist as WNBA players, and others like Blackwell, Berger and Madi Williams I see as second round players in most drafts. Plus all of those players could return for another year, so it's sort of a crap shoot to see who stays vs who declares.
Enjoyed your take on this particular situation, as usual. In particular, it was interesting reading the 2nd paragraph where you seemed to be doing an almost simultaneous process of reasoning and typing. I'm going to respond to a few of the comments in red.

- I'm a bit more upbeat on a few of the players on the roster. They may be young and may be be better served as substitutes, but at the level of the WNBA, they can still be solid contributors. I think Engstler is the type of all-round baller that can extremely effective against certain teams, while sitting against others. I also like Egbo and -- if Boston is indeed taken -- she will be coming off the bench. She'll make a fine rotation with Boston and Smith.

- I agree with you that this isn't a particularly strong group at the wing, once you get to Indiana's second choice (Jones and Miller will be long gone). You last comment on "all of those players" -- while referring to current collegians -- could just as easily be applied to the current wings on the Fever roster. If there's nothing better in the draft, why get rid of a potentially promising person? Of course, a lot of this depends on the new coach, but let's see if Hull is the one we saw in 3x3 play or the one we saw overwhelmed at times in the WNBA?

- In the same vein that certain players automatically make All-American lists, I'm think a lot of players get put into mock drafts without that much concern for, you know, how they're actually playing individually and/or as teammates. I'd like to see how Horston and Jackson shake out before making a call on them. Of the two, I think Horston has more of an all-round game due to her handle and ability to shake it up under the boards.

- Here's a player that might work her way up in draft boards: Celeste Taylor, who has improved her outside shooting thus far. She already plays a solid overall game, but is doing very well thus far in her second season with Kara Lawson. Still think her ball-handling could use some work, but as on off-guard, it's probably good 'nuff.

In any case, I think Indiana will have some interesting moves both in free agency and during the draft Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Good point on Vivians...who has been improving and cresting upwards.

Diggins-Smith is going to have her second child sometime this spring (I believe), so who knows how available she'll be to any team. However, I know she still has strong ties in the South Bend area and could see landing in the Midwest as a good development. Could a Kelsey Mitchell-Diggins-Smith swap be of interest?
PHX has stated she will be avail and they have her set active as of Jan 1st.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
This might be the shortest of The Next's write-ups: the Las Vegas Aces. Exec. Summary: Core Group signed and not a lot of cap space! Depth being looked for (but no big names and/or salary demands, thank you).

https://www./features/2023-wnba-free-agency-preview-las-vegas-aces/

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And, to close out the working week, Jackie Powell gives us the opposite of the Aces: a very long, detailed look at the options for the NY Liberty, including a "decision tree" with options/limbs for whether Stewie comess or does not come to play for the Brooklyn-based team.

What do you think? Take a climb on the limbs....;)

https://www./features/2023-wnba-free-agency-preview-new-york-liberty/

Reaction Score
Big question for me is where does Tina Charles land. She wants to win but there aren’t a lot of options for winning franchises who will take a chance on her, and she isn’t the player she was 5 years ago.
And she hurt the Storm because she isn't willing to come off the bench.
The team was better before she got there, Ezi and Stewie were great defensively. The defense went south with Tina in the lineup, and she isn't efficient on offense anymore.
She has become a volume shooter, and not very good anymore.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And she hurt the Storm because she isn't willing to come off the bench.
The team was better before she got there, Ezi and Stewie were great defensively. The defense went south with Tina in the lineup, and she isn't efficient on offense anymore.
She has become a volume shooter, and not very good anymore.
I kept debating saying anything negative about Charles. Phoenix instantly improved significantly as soon as she left and she didn't help Seattle any. If I'm a GM, no way I'd sign her at this stage in her career.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I kept debating saying anything negative about Charles. Phoenix instantly improved significantly as soon as she left and she didn't help Seattle any. If I'm a GM, no way I'd sign her at this stage in her career.
I wouldn't be opposed if she was willing to take on a much smaller role. She's a talented player on both ends and has value but I don't think she's able to be a primary option on a title contending team and she's been chasing a ring the last few seasons without success. She shouldn't be taking 12-15 shots per game for a title contender. Looking at next year, I'm not sure who will be in the title mix aside from Vegas (and if I'm Vegas, no way do I bring on Charles or do anything to mess with their chemistry).

Around the league you have:

Seattle-she could come back but if Stewart is gone they aren't title contenders. Even with Stewart, I think they have an uphill battle unless they land Sloot or someone of significant at point. Not at all sold on Quinn as a coach either.

New York-if they land Stewie they're title contenders, but I think it'd be risking bringing Charles onto the roster with the nice young core they have.

Chicago-no idea what this team looks like considering how many free agents they have. I don't think she goes on a team that has Parker.

Connecticut-Charles previously burned bridges here, I don't think she returns.

Phoenix-see above

Mystics-I don't think they'd go after Tina have a need with EDD.

Dallas-I could see this being a squad that takes her, but they aren't going to be a title contender

Minnesota-not a bad landing spot, but unlikely to compete for a title either

Atlanta-not a title threat

LA-not a title threat

Indiana-not a title threat

My guess is she ends up at one of the 3 teams highlighted from purely a "fit" aspect. I don't see her going to be a mediocre franchise and I don't think many of the better ones will take a chance on her.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be opposed if she was willing to take on a much smaller role. She's a talented player on both ends and has value but I don't think she's able to be a primary option on a title contending team and she's been chasing a ring the last few seasons without success. She shouldn't be taking 12-15 shots per game for a title contender. Looking at next year, I'm not sure who will be in the title mix aside from Vegas (and if I'm Vegas, no way do I bring on Charles or do anything to mess with their chemistry).

Around the league you have:

Seattle-she could come back but if Stewart is gone they aren't title contenders. Even with Stewart, I think they have an uphill battle unless they land Sloot or someone of significant at point. Not at all sold on Quinn as a coach either.

New York-if they land Stewie they're title contenders, but I think it'd be risking bringing Charles onto the roster with the nice young core they have.

Chicago-no idea what this team looks like considering how many free agents they have. I don't think she goes on a team that has Parker.

Connecticut-Charles previously burned bridges here, I don't think she returns.

Phoenix-see above

Mystics-I don't think they'd go after Tina have a need with EDD.

Dallas-I could see this being a squad that takes her, but they aren't going to be a title contender

Minnesota-not a bad landing spot, but unlikely to compete for a title either

Atlanta-not a title threat

LA-not a title threat

Indiana-not a title threat

My guess is she ends up at one of the 3 teams highlighted from purely a "fit" aspect. I don't see her going to be a mediocre franchise and I don't think many of the better ones will take a chance on her.
I got the impression she burned bridges with Washington as well. Also, she put up big numbers but they were bad in 2021. They lost Charles, got EDD back part time and probably not 100% healthy and improved significantly. It could all just be coincidence, but the last several years are not convincing that Charles helps anybody win games.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about Parker either. She obviously is a very skilled player who had some big games last year, but she has to be near the end of her career and she seemed to wear down a bit last year.

If I'm in the market for a front court player, Nneka is enticing to me. You know she is going to give max effort every moment she's on the floor. LA has been up and down during her career and weren't good last year, but I don't have the same concerns about her as I do with Charles.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
We interrupt The Next's team-by-team analysis (by their respective beat reporters) to give you an overall approach on all teams by ESPNw. All presented so those that want it, can have information and context down the road when these deals start taking shape and/or happening.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about Parker either. She obviously is a very skilled player who had some big games last year, but she has to be near the end of her career and she seemed to wear down a bit last year.

If I'm in the market for a front court player, Nneka is enticing to me. You know she is going to give max effort every moment she's on the floor. LA has been up and down during her career and weren't good last year, but I don't have the same concerns about her as I do with Charles.

I think Parker's a no brainer for any franchise unless it comes down to her vs. Stewart (where you'd obviously pick Stewart over anyone right now at PF). Candace was 1st Team All WNBA last year and has been a winner everywhere she's been. She has thrived playing in a smaller role at Chicago and is fine deflecting to others, and her overall demeanor/on court attitude has improved tremendously since going to Chicago.

Agree about Nneka. At this point she isn't going to be the star that leads you to a title but can be a main focal point who helps you get there. I think any franchise would be smart to go after her at this point in her career.

Reaction Score
I got the impression she burned bridges with Washington as well. Also, she put up big numbers but they were bad in 2021. They lost Charles, got EDD back part time and probably not 100% healthy and improved significantly. It could all just be coincidence, but the last several years are not convincing that Charles helps anybody win games.
She's the Bradley Beal/Damian Lillard of the WNBA. Great players but they don't win games.

Reaction Score
This might be the shortest of The Next's write-ups: the Las Vegas Aces. Exec. Summary: Core Group signed and not a lot of cap space! Depth being looked for (but no big names and/or salary demands, thank you).

https://www./features/2023-wnba-free-agency-preview-las-vegas-aces/
The Aces have little monetary means to add any quality depth. what they might have, however, is the possibility of a "chasing the ring" discount from a solid veteran willing to take a year of way below production pay to be with a championship contender. This happens all the time with nearing the end of their career veterans in the NBA. Sometimes it almost seems unfair because the contenders can get way more quality with their minimum contracts than lessor teams, or less attractive destinations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom