2023 WNBA Free Agency | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2023 WNBA Free Agency

Reaction Score
No surprise the Mercury brought back Cunningham. Toliver back to the Mystics is a little surprising. Looks like Chicago and Seattle have a lot of rebuilding to do.

As much as this free agency movement, I wonder how much the NIL and COVID year possibility will keep any of the potential top picks (Boston, Jones, Cook) in school another year.

Reaction Score

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Anyone else's head spinning besides mine? Seems like there's going to be 2 super teams (Vegas, NYC), 4-5 very solid rosters (LA, Dallas, Atlanta, DC, Minnesota), and 4 absolute wastelands (looking at you, Seattle, Chicago, Connecticut, and Indiana)... Phoenix seems TBD until we know what's happening with SDS and Taurasi, Nurse's recovery, and how easily Griner can come back at full strength.

Reaction Score
Anyone else's head spinning besides mine? Seems like there's going to be 2 super teams (Vegas, NYC), 4-5 very solid rosters (LA, Dallas, Atlanta, DC, Minnesota), and 4 absolute wastelands (looking at you, Seattle, Chicago, Connecticut, and Indiana)... Phoenix seems TBD until we know what's happening with SDS and Taurasi, Nurse's recovery, and how easily Griner can come back at full strength.

Isn't Nurse a free agent?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Alarie announces retirement from basketball

Well, as Bella herself stated, she's reflected on this for quite some time and decided to go in a different direction. Hoping for the best in her next career path.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Things are certainly happening in a fast and furious pace recently. I'll take a breather to react to your summary, but note that this is just a look at the halfpole, so to speak, and withhold the right to see what happens in the next few days to a week. Then, there's the draft ;)

- Ditto on NYC and Las Vegas. If 'Sloot goes to NYC, really watch out. Las Vegas signing Clark is a really smart deal to bring in a stopper. And Aussie Cayla George could be a solid role player. I watched a number of Melbourne Boomers games and she can play.

- The Brittany Sykes signing by the Mystics strikes me as an attempt to get a younger Clark. As much as she's improved over the years, Sykes still can't shoot that well from outside. For that matter, neither can Natasha Cloud. Maybe they're counting on Kristi Tolliver taking care of that (again)

- With Ms. Boston probably checking into Indy, I think Indy could make some strides. The bench isn't totally bare in eastern Connecticut, but the clock is ticking on some of those core players.
But I agree with you on Chicago and Seattle....things are looking pretty bleak right now.

What will the rest of today and Friday bring? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Which category does Washington all into? edit My bad. Just saw DC:oops:

Damn. Guess I need to wear my progressives when on my computer now too!

Reaction Score
Things are certainly happening in a fast and furious pace recently. I'll take a breather to react to your summary, but note that this is just a look at the halfpole, so to speak, and withhold the right to see what happens in the next few days to a week. Then, there's the draft ;)

- Ditto on NYC and Las Vegas. If 'Sloot goes to NYC, really watch out. Las Vegas signing Clark is a really smart deal to bring in a stopper. And Aussie Cayla George could be a solid role player. I watched a number of Melbourne Boomers games and she can play.

- The Brittany Sykes signing by the Mystics strikes me as an attempt to get a younger Clark. As much as she's improved over the years, Sykes still can't shoot that well from outside. For that matter, neither can Natasha Cloud. Maybe they're counting on Kristi Tolliver taking care of that (again)

- With Ms. Boston probably checking into Indy, I think Indy could make some strides. The bench isn't totally bare in eastern Connecticut, but the clock is ticking on some of those core players.
But I agree with you on Chicago and Seattle....things are looking pretty bleak right now.

What will the rest of today and Friday bring? :rolleyes:
It's no longer "if" anymore.

Reaction Score
They're trying to recreate their 2019 roster + Brittany Sykes. ;)
Well, they need to sign Meesseman. I feel sorry for the Sun, I wonder if they would be open for a MHA for Alyssa Thomas trade.

Reaction Score
My head is spinning as well though I think CT is still pretty good. But I'm not in love with Dallas, Atlanta, LA and Minnesota's rosters. I think all those teams have a big question at point guard. I'm waiting for a breakout season from Sabally but it is year 4. Minnesota doesn't really have guards or a center. I agree Phoenix is a big unknown.

Reaction Score

IMO Conn is still a contender. Losing JJ will hurt some but having AT, Bonner, and Jones is a good core to work with for Steph White.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Kia's not returning to PHX

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Meanwhile the Liberty with Jones, Stewie and now Vandersloot added to Ionescu is looking like a super team. How did this happen?

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

So do the Sun have interest and cap space to sign Kia Nurse to replace Courtney Williams?

In Kia's announcement, she said that her teammates in Phoenix "know what it is", presumably meaning her reason for leaving. If it has to do with a geography preference (which I can imagine), then the Sun might fit her desires.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom