2023 Recruiting Thread | Page 56 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
I think the Mora has brought in coaches who have connections in CT football and has even talked about him leaning on them in recruiting the state.

It's great to see, gone are the days of missing out on the LB from Stratford (Tyler Matakevich) who wanted to go to UCONN but P didn't think was good enough. He is still playing on Sunday's.

Reaction Score
Just checked on the 17 Walk-Ons on this year's team. One of them, Flynn caught 5 passes. Most of them never saw the field and a couple had 2 or 3 tackles. This new group appears like they may be able to contribute down the road.

Reaction Score
Just checked on the 17 Walk-Ons on this year's team. One of them, Flynn caught 5 passes. Most of them never saw the field and a couple had 2 or 3 tackles. This new group appears like they may be able to contribute down the road.
Flynn got put on scholarship to start the season.

Reaction Score
One thing about Flynn though was his ability to block... couldn't get separation against stiffer competition whatsoever, but blocking and playing hard was evident... I can honestly see him being productive at the FCS level

Reaction Score
It's great to see, gone are the days of missing out on the LB from Stratford (Tyler Matakevich) who wanted to go to UCONN but P didn't think was good enough. He is still playing on Sunday's.
I don’t understand. We got a bunch of successful in state high school players who didn’t get FBS offers to come here as walk ons. That’s great and I’m for it. But what in the world does it have to do with not offering a schoollie to someone who we didn’t think was worthy of one and losing them to a school that did?

Reaction Score
Most Walk-Ons will never see a lot of game time but contribute to special teams and scout team for game prep. Occasionally you hit a home run with a late bloomer but they are essentially just look at the number of players that Michigan dressed against us in 2022. They have have had at least 40 walk-ons

Reaction Score
I don’t understand. We got a bunch of successful in state high school players who didn’t get FBS offers to come here as walk ons. That’s great and I’m for it. But what in the world does it have to do with not offering a schoollie to someone who we didn’t think was worthy of one and losing them to a school that did?

There is obviously an intensified effort to give local talent a longer look, there is no way this staff would have missed on Matakevich, and some of the kids are getting scholarships. Prince Samuels last year along with the RB from Norwalk are examples and I thought the player from Milford did get a scholarship. Regardless, it's obvious this staff leaves no stone unturned and I love them for it. They are putting our previous coaching staffs to shame making them look quite lazy.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The cap has to do with title IX compliance.

There are a number of measurements, including scholarship athletes and total participation. If we were to add 20 or so non-scholarhip male participants to an NCAA sport, we would need to match that number with non-scholarhip female participants throughout the sports we field. The only other option would be to reduce non-scholarhip male athletes from rosters in other sports.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
The cap has to do with title IX compliance.

There are a number of measurements, including scholarship athletes and total participation. If we were to add 20 or so non-scholarhip male participants to an NCAA sport, we would need to match that number with non-scholarhip female participants throughout the sports we field. The only other option would be to reduce non-scholarhip male athletes from rosters in other sports.
I believe that's part of the reason their is no Lacrosse.

Reaction Score
I believe that's part of the reason their is no Lacrosse.
This is EXACTLY the reason. So it means two news sports (probably) would need to be funded.

There are only a handful (5-6?) Of schools that have D1 Football/Hockey/and lacrosse. Mich/ND/OSU for example.

Reaction Score
People don't realize that the top revenue programs in the SEC that are bringing in greater than $50 million in TV money plus other sources of revenue have same or smaller athletic programs in terms of teams compared to UConn. UConn doesn't have men's XC and men's tennis. UConn does have men's and women's hockey. The SEC does not even have men's soccer as a league sport, nor does the Big-12. The SEC schools w/ soccer play in the Sunbelt. Most SEC schools have 7-8 men's teams and 9-11 women's teams. UConn has 7 men's and 12 women's. BIG-10 is different, most have large programs w/ hockey, wrestling, and other lower level men's sports.

Reaction Score
h/t @crazyUCfan23

Danny Shaban is a 6-1 205lb Offensive/Defensive Athlete from Joel Barlow High School in Redding CT.

Highlights

He's a player.
RB, Option QB, OLB/Edge Rusher (with 20-25 pounds added first)

Reaction Score
So I would expect that, other than with respect to PWOs, we're done with players coming in for fall, at least until spring practice is over and we opportunistically can add one or two players who don't like their chances for playing time at a bigger school. However, at this point we're over the limit of 85 expected scholarship players for fall, so the news after spring practice will turn to who is leaving for playing time or other reasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom