2023 Recruiting Thread | Page 38 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
We’ve obviously had a rapid and incredible turnaround this year, specifically in the second half of the season. One would think that we’d be landing some recruits. I know we don’t have a ton of open slots with such a small graduating classes but some guys have recently posted about getting an offer from UConn, so we still have at least some room. Any idea why we haven’t gotten any more commits recently, besides the PWO?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We’ve obviously had a rapid and incredible turnaround this year, specifically in the second half of the season. One would think that we’d be landing some recruits. I know we don’t have a ton of open slots with such a small graduating classes but some guys have recently posted about getting an offer from UConn, so we still have at least some room. Any idea why we haven’t gotten any more commits recently, besides the PWO?
We don’t have many open slots next year and I think we are saving our few spaces for the portal wars that should begin in a few weeks. Hard to target recruits for your last few seats when you don’t know exactly which of your players might take the portal exit. Fingers crossed we manage to keep this brotherhood for 2023 and not become net losers.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score

Kendel Dolby is a 5-11 180lb DB from Springfield Ohio attending Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College in Miami Oklahoma. Other offers from Arkansas, ArkState, Boise State, Central Arkansas, Charlotte, ECU, Georgia Southern, Houston, Jacksonville State, Kansas, Liberty, Missouri, North Texas, ODU, Ohio University, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Tennessee State, Texas State, Toledo,,UAB, UNLV, Utah State, Washington, Washington State, WKU and WVA.

Highlights

My son played against his team a couple of years ago in the playoffs and this guy was fantastic. If UConn is looking to pick up some Ohio guys, this team is always loaded with D1 talent. Glad to see him work his way back to D1 offers.

Reaction Score
We don’t have many open slots next year and I think we are saving our few spaces for the portal wars that should begin in a few weeks. Hard to target recruits for your last few seats when you don’t know exactly which of your players might take the portal exit. Fingers crossed we manage to keep this brotherhood for 2023 and not become net losers.

This. I doubt you'll see more than one or two schollies go to high school players who haven't already verballed. Because we have very few players leaving having finished their eligibility. The priority left for the staff is portal players who can come in and have an immediate impact. That process won't start until after the season, and for everyone we want to take from the portal it's going to mean easing someone already here out of the program.

Reaction Score
This. I doubt you'll see more than one or two schollies go to high school players who haven't already verballed. Because we have very few players leaving having finished their eligibility. The priority left for the staff is portal players who can come in and have an immediate impact. That process won't start until after the season, and for everyone we want to take from the portal it's going to mean easing someone already here out of the program.
Or JUCOs. The last 9 offers have been to JUCOs.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately we are in an era of college sports where more players get pushed out of each program than in the past. However, players can find a place to succeed immediately, so it should be a win-win overall. My guess is that the transfer market will be much better for Uconn this year than last year due to the success of 2022, but maybe it takes 1-2 more years to see a noticeable uptick in talent.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately we are in an era of college sports where more players get pushed out of each program than in the past. However, players can find a place to succeed immediately, so it should be a win-win overall. My guess is that the transfer market will be much better for Uconn this year than last year due to the success of 2022, but maybe it takes 1-2 more years to see a noticeable uptick in talent.
The transfer portal was great for UConn last year. Based on the 247 high school ratings, there would have been 8 of the portal players who would have ranked in the top 11 of all-time UConn commits as individuals. And, if you look at Mora's portal strategy, it was to bring in transfers with multiple years of eligibility left to develop the players. Bottom line, unless UConn has another roster flip like last year, which I don't expect, I wouldn't expect a large number of portal players, but some positions will be targeted due to players moving on like LB.

Reaction Score
The transfer portal was great for UConn last year. Based on the 247 high school ratings, there would have been 8 of the portal players who would have ranked in the top 11 of all-time UConn commits as individuals. And, if you look at Mora's portal strategy, it was to bring in transfers with multiple years of eligibility left to develop the players. Bottom line, unless UConn has another roster flip like last year, which I don't expect, I wouldn't expect a large number of portal players, but some positions will be targeted due to players moving on like LB.
I agree that the players had solid rankings coming from high school and that these rankings were good on UConn standards. However, they were mostly players looking for a fresh start after not getting playing time.

The next step is to get former 4 and 5 star players from major programs like Alabama and Ohio State that were backups their sophomore year and maybe got 30 tackles or rushed for 500 yards, but are trapped behind future first round picks at their current school and are looking to get starter number of snaps at a place like UConn and receive coaching from a guy like Mora that has tons of NFL experience and can prep them to play in the NFL. Mora has just about as much NFL experience as any college head coach (arguably the most), so he can use that to his advantage in the transfer market.

UConn can become a 1-2 year prep program for the NFL for players that aren't the clear number 1 at a school loaded with talent. This could be the niche UConn can create with Mora to be a consistent top 20 ranked program. This strategy also doesn't require a ton of NIL money because these backup players trapped behind future first round picks aren't going to be getting much NIL from major programs because they aren't one of the top 10 players at their school and definitely are not the face of the program.

Start with recruiting defensive backs because Mora was a DB coach for 10 years in the NFL and can give them some special attention as a way to draw them into transferring to UConn.

Reaction Score
Possibly, haven’t seen anything yet. He camped up in Storrs beginning of the summer.

The fact he said opportunity to play at UConn seems like PWO as you would say you were offered if there is a scholarship in play

Reaction Score
Would love to see UConn swoop in and pick up this Marcus Stokes kid that lost his scholie offer from Florida. Kid made a dumb mistake posting the video but doesn't seem like a huge deal. Has Twitter follows from Davidson, EJ, and Kenny McClendon.

Reaction Score
Would love to see UConn swoop in and pick up this Marcus Stokes kid that lost his scholie offer from Florida. Kid made a dumb mistake posting the video but doesn't seem like a huge deal. Has Twitter follows from Davidson, EJ, and Kenny McClendon.

Florida had also recently picked up a commit from Jaden Rashada, one of the top 10 QBs in the same class, so as big of a mistake as the kid made, he likely could have been destined to de-commit regardless.

Reaction Score
Entered the portal yesterday:

Shane Cokes is a 6-4 275lb DL from Dayton Ohio attending Dartmouth College (Transfer Portal). Other current offers from Coastal Carolina, Colorado, Iowa State, Miami (FL), NC State, Oklahoma State, Purdue, UMass, Washington State, Wake Forest and WVU.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom